PDA

View Full Version : M. Waltrip Fails To Qualify in Driving Home. Crashes.

Boatcop
04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
From FOXNEWS:
Michael Waltrip has been charged with reckless driving and failing to report an accident after hitting a telephone pole and rolling his car about a mile from his home over the weekend.
Waltrip, who suffered scratches to his arms, hands and face and cuts on his finger, said he fell asleep at the wheel right before he wrecked his Toyota Land Cruiser early Saturday morning. He left the scene of the accident and walked the rest of the way home.
Police found him at his house about six hours after finding the car at the accident scene.
"I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn't hurt," the two-time Daytona 500 winner said Tuesday.
"For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall a sleep behind the wheel of a car."
Police said the accident happened before 2 a.m. when Waltrip lost control of his SUV while driving around a curve and overcorrected. His car rolled and hit a utility pole, said Sgt. Brian Sharpe of the State Highway Patrol in Catawba County.
The vehicle, which was on its side, was abandoned and there was blood in it when police arrived. Witnesses reported seeing the driver crawl from the car and leave.
"He left the scene," Sharpe said. "We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him."
An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him the next day. Waltrip was not arrested.
It's the latest troubles for Waltrip, who is having a horrendous first season as a car owner.
He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.
Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.

FilthyHaBIT
04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Man that sucks for Waltrip....no luck I guess. He lives around the corner from me and I didn't know it happened until I saw the thread. He was probably hammered and decided to walk home before the law showed up. Can't say that I blame him.

SummitKarl
04-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know who's going down in flames faster...Mikey or Imus:D

JetBoatRich
04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Man that sucks for Waltrip....no luck I guess. He lives around the corner from me and I didn't know it happened until I saw the thread. He was probably hammered and decided to walk home before the law showed up. Can't say that I blame him.
there was blood at the scene:idea: couldn't they check for alcohol from this?

73kona455
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
he cant make a toyota turn on the track.. guess he has trouble with one on the street too...:eek:

driverno8
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Sucks. Hopefully his season turns around

RiverDave
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
there was blood at the scene:idea: couldn't they check for alcohol from this?
Most likely dried blood by now?
I don't think a DUI is going to bring out the CSI investigators either.. Now had there been a body in the car, quite possibly?
No doubt he was hammered.
RD

Bow Tie Omega
04-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Dont worry Michael Waltrip fans, his big brother Darrel will find a way to blame all of this on Robby Gordon, trust me. Personally, I hope Toyota drops him all together. He cant make a race, Dale Jarret of all people can not make a race without using a past champions provisional (he only has one left). There are many other teams out there much more deserving of some of that sponsorship money that MWR is getting. Michael Waltrip is in way over his head on this one. He could not win before DEI, he can not win after DEI. It was pretty stupid of Toyota to make MWR their flagship race team. They really needed to bring in an established team/s with points from the get go and make a run of it. I think Toyota's ego hurt them with this venture in Cup. No doubt they will turn things around, the question is when. As for MWR, If they have 3 sponsored teams by mid season with the same drivers, I would be amazed. Toyota already told Michael Waltrip that he had used two of his 3 strikes with the whole sterno thing at Daytona. I believe this is strike 3 if he is convicted of reckelss driving.

Baja Big Dog
04-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Dont worry Michael Waltrip fans, his big brother Darrel will find a way to blame all of this on Robby Gordon, trust me. Personally, I hope Toyota drops him all together. He cant make a race, Dale Jarret of all people can not make a race without using a past champions provisional (he only has one left). There are many other teams out there much more deserving of some of that sponsorship money that MWR is getting. Michael Waltrip is in way over his head on this one. He could not win before DEI, he can not win after DEI. It was pretty stupid of Toyota to make MWR their flagship race team. They really needed to bring in an established team/s with points from the get go and make a run of it. I think Toyota's ego hurt them with this venture in Cup. No doubt they will turn things around, the question is when. As for MWR, If they have 3 sponsored teams by mid season with the same drivers, I would be amazed. Toyota already told Michael Waltrip that he had used two of his 3 strikes with the whole sterno thing at Daytona. I believe this is strike 3 if he is convicted of reckelss driving.
Glad this is your "personal" opinion, (you know the same as assholes, like everyone has)., and not the opinion of all folks that love racing, not for what it was, but for what it is. New ventures, hell yes that's what make this sport fun, something new, and different.
And for the reckless (reckelss) driving, since your the judge, jury and the hangman lets all hope he goes down hard for this, I'm thinking of a 3-5 year sentence should do, don't you????:idea:

Bow Tie Omega
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Glad this is your "personal" opinion, (you know the same as assholes, like everyone has)., and not the opinion of all folks that love racing, not for what it was, but for what it is. New ventures, hell yes that's what make this sport fun, something new, and different.
And for the reckless (reckelss) driving, since your the judge, jury and the hangman lets all hope he goes down hard for this, I'm thinking of a 3-5 year sentence should do, don't you????:idea:
Right back at you!!!! Be careful now, you being a Michael Waltrip fan is bleeding through and clouding your judgement. I have loved racing for years, just not ass holes like Michael Waltrip who smile and pat you on the back when the camera is on, but tell you to F/O after the camera is off. By the way, who in the hell made you the all mightly representative of race fans. You must be just another Michael Waltrip fan talking out of your ass. Get used to this, because the only thing Michael Waltrip seems to do right these days is screw up. He has to cheat to make a race and he has to evade police after he flips his car at 1:30 in the morning. I wonder how much he had to drink that night there almighty race fan. Most of us would have atleast left a note with contact info if we had to leave a scene of our own accident. I wonder why he did not......Would you have the same opinion if lets say......Robby Gordon had this happen to him........
And as far as the reckelss driving statement there brain trust, that is what the police charged him with.

Screaming Pete
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
MW is one of my faviorte drivers..........but it must have been one of those Tricky curves to the RIGHT:D

OGShocker
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Your love for the Waltrips really shows, even in your AVATAR. :D
Michael has always been in over his head. IMHO

hotlavey
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Right back at you!!!! Be careful now, you being a Michael Waltrip fan is bleeding through and clouding your judgement. I have loved racing for years, just not ass holes like Michael Waltrip who smile and pat you on the back when the camera is on, but tell you to F/O after the camera is off. By the way, who in the hell made you the all mightly representative of race fans. You must be just another Michael Waltrip fan talking out of your ass. Get used to this, because the only thing Michael Waltrip seems to do right these days is screw up. He has to cheat to make a race and he has to evade police after he flips his car at 1:30 in the morning. I wonder how much he had to drink that night there almighty race fan. Most of us would have atleast left a note with contact info if we had to leave a scene of our own accident. I wonder why he did not......Would you have the same opinion if lets say......Robby Gordon had this happen to him........
And as far as the reckelss driving statement there brain trust, that is what the police charged him with.
Are you saying your car does not have a registration slip or a license plate and you would have to leave a note? Cut us some slack please.

Bow Tie Omega
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Look at your instructions for an auto accident with the Insurance company. Mine tells me to leave contact info with the name of the insurance company for the police if I must leave an accident which I am involved in to get help. Oh yeah, he did not go and get help, he went home, did not answer the door when the police came over and did not even bother to call for a tow truck????? Yeah, innocent until proven guilty, but if something looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit, chances are it is shit.

racecar.hotshoe
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe he wasnt drinking,What if he had a lot on his mind and was at the shop late and did just as he said fell asleep.My years in the race biz I have worked into the morning hours and it sucks.You go to the hotel for a shower and right back to the track.But I wouldnt trade it for the world.Mark

Trailer Park Casanova
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
At 2 AM only cops and drunks on the road.

91nordic29
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Look at your instructions for an auto accident with the Insurance company. Mine tells me to leave contact info with the name of the insurance company for the police if I must leave an accident which I am involved in to get help. Oh yeah, he did not go and get help, he went home, did not answer the door when the police came over and did not even bother to call for a tow truck????? Yeah, innocent until proven guilty, but if something looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit, chances are it is shit.
All that info should already be in your car at all times.

driverno8
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm a huge MW fan but do have to admit he's in over his head. I hope he pulls it off though. He's got the right people, right drivers, right manufacture. I think it's going take some time to get Toyota up front. It took a few years in the trucks and now they dominate. Same goes for cup, give it time. But I do agree. Napa can't be to happy right now.

WYRD
04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
If you ask me I think he was very lucky. Think you would be able to get into a accident while being hammered and escape without injury or prosecution? Doubtful.
"He left the scene," Sharpe said. "We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him."
An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him the next day. Waltrip was not arrested.
Nobody wants to arrest a "home town hero";) Just another example of clebs getting "special" treatment:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
WYRD

Baja Big Dog
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Waltrip fan, I guess. Do I have his car number on the back window of my truck, NO (don't know his number). You see I like all the drivers that put on a show for us. I certainly don't have any hatred for any driver like you seem to have for Waltrip, maybe he didn't sign your ball cap at a race or did something to piss in your Wheaties. Let me guess, you cheer when he crashes!!! WOW!!!
He cheated? Holy shit...stop the presses, a NASCAR team cheated!!! Come on, it ain't if but how does all the teams get around the rules (or cheating).
Drunk driving? There you go again...judge, jury, and hangman, but with your obvious hatred for Waltrip nothing short of hanging would do!!!
If you need a hug just say so, I'm sure a lot of us would be more than happy to help you out, but this hate thing has to end, before you start referring to all the drivers as "Nappy headed hoes".:jawdrop:
Peace out my brotha!!!

HefeRaton
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
A little fishy if you ask me. Cops go to his house, crash scene about a mile from his house, and they don't find him??? Witness saw Waltrip get out of his car and take off. Police are unable to locate him until 8pm the following evening? If you ask me he was probably drunk and went into hiding until he was good and sobered up. He wouldn't want to embarrass his sponsors anymore than he already has.

FilthyHaBIT
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Just a fyi....there has been numerous accidents at the spot Michael crashed and along that entire road. I drive it everyday and it's very windey and SMALL country road. I catch myself veering off sometimes messin with that damn Ipod. That said he was probably loaded. If you could see the distance he had to walk that night back to his house in the freezing cold (big cold front on the east coast) any sober person would of called for a ride from the cell. It is a trek from the phone poll he hit back to his house. I'm guessing he didn't walk but ran all the way back.

Bow Tie Omega
04-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Fresh off of the presses....A pic of his car. All kidding around aside, he was a very lucky man, drunk or not. Espn was supposed to do an interview with him, his attorneys "declined the interview"......Nothing to hide???????????:eek:

Baja Big Dog
04-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Great picture...I just printed it out and sprinkled some CSI special powder on it and guess what.......
His BAC was .22. Now lets really ream his ass and get him kicked out of NASCAR. That cheatin no good cry baby piece of crap!!!
I aint takin this anymore, that's it...from now on IM a Jeff Gordon fan!!!:mad:

Waist Deep
04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd rather see Waltrip wreck than Gordon sucking some dude off!!
They Both Suck.

Bow Tie Omega
04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Great picture...I just printed it out and sprinkled some CSI special powder on it and guess what.......
His BAC was .22. Now lets really ream his ass and get him kicked out of NASCAR. That cheatin no good cry baby piece of crap!!!
I aint takin this anymore, that's it...from now on IM a Jeff Gordon fan!!!:mad:
YOu see, you are a band wagon fan
Maybe Michael saw this in his rear view mirror while he was drinking his Bud driving home and got scared.......

superdave013
04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
If you ask me I think he was very lucky. Think you would be able to get into a accident while being hammered and escape without injury or prosecution? Doubtful.
I have done the same thing and I guess I was lucky. No, I know I was way lucky.
When I was a kid living in snow land (Indiana) a road by my house had this nice curve to it. The snow plows made a nice berm of snow. Sweet! I'd hit that sucker in my truck like it was a skateboard ramp or the high banks of Daytona. Well drunker then snot I went in hot and shot right off the side. Truck landed on it's side and that was that. I of course took off and stayed at a friends house so the cops would not find me drunk.
Not only did I not get prosecuted but the coppers were nice enough to get my truck back on it's wheels. lol I did have to pay the inpound yard some duckets. :D
I no longer drink and drive but I'll tell you right now. If I was drunk and got into a single car wreck by myself, Oh F yeah I'd bail. Won't you?? C'mon!

Bow Tie Omega
04-14-2007, 08:55 AM
He missed another race:D

Boatcop
04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
NAPA Headed Ho.
http://www.maximonline.com/sports/NASCAR_photos/heads/waltrip.jpg

Trailer Park Casanova
04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28523&d=1176396249
Geeze brutal. That is a nasty wreck.
Not saying he was snockered, but I've never had to pay more than 8 bucks for a cab ride home + tip.
A DUI is the death penalty now.
Cabfare is cheap in compairison.

Bow Tie Omega
04-14-2007, 11:13 AM
NAPA Headed Ho.
http://www.maximonline.com/sports/NASCAR_photos/heads/waltrip.jpg
LMAO!!!:D :D

AZJD
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed but it seems Waltrip actually owes Nascar 27 points currently. He has a wopping -27 points and is in dead last!

wsuwrhr
04-14-2007, 01:40 PM
That sure blows up his auto insurance commercials

wsuwrhr
04-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes sir,
CA MON.
I a car at my buddies tow yard who wore out one of those high dollar Mercedes, not the 500SL, but the other one.
Stupid ass ran into a telephone pole after a night out. The retard called the cops on his cell phone because he didn't want someone to steal the car if he abandoned it. DUI, jail time, the whole works. The car was no doubt totaled, frickin pass door was caved in past the roofline, roof was buckled, car was noticibly BENT. Dumbass was lucky to be alive.
Common sense isn't all that common.
Brian
If I was drunk and got into a single car wreck by myself, Oh F yeah I'd bail. Won't you?? C'mon!

Bow Tie Omega
04-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, I guess we can say that Michael Waltrip got Toyota their first pole.............Telephone pole that is!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

getreal
04-14-2007, 04:59 PM
American made telephone pole verses an import.
Reminds me of an ad I once saw:
“Mitsubishi” from the nice people who brought you Pearl Harbor.

boats&bars
04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Robby is a dick too.

Bow Tie Omega
04-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Robby is a dick too.
ANother bent Michael Fan I see.......Hey, how did he qualify this weekend:D

FryJet
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Maybe his ex crew chief David Hyder added a little something to his his fuel (without Waltrip knowing of coarse ;) ) and made the Land Cruiser totally underivable. I lost all respect for MW after he threw Hyder under the bus saying he knew nothing about what happen and "it was the fault of one person and one person only" refering to Hyder.........BULLSHIT. I personally think Hyder was the martyr of the whole deal and got the shaft, period. MW has created so much bad publicity for himself in the racing scene and now this. Im surprised Toyota hasnt pulled the rug out yet but its coming, its just a matter of when now, not if. And no, im not a MW hater. I know everyone bends the rule book but when you start throwing other people under the bus to save your own ass its going to come back on you. Karma is bitch, just ask MW.
F.J.

Bow Tie Omega
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Maybe his ex crew chief David Hyder added a little something to his his fuel (without Waltrip knowing of coarse ;) ) and made the Land Cruiser totally underivable. I lost all respect for MW after he threw Hyder under the bus saying he knew nothing about what happen and "it was the fault of one person and one person only" refering to Hyder.........BULLSHIT. I personally think Hyder was the martyr of the whole deal and got the shaft, period. MW has created so much bad publicity for himself in the racing scene and now this. Im surprised Toyota hasnt pulled the rug out yet but its coming, its just a matter of when now, not if. And no, im not a MW hater. I know everyone bends the rule book but when you start throwing other people under the bus to save your own ass its going to come back on you. Karma is bitch, just ask MW.
F.J.
Very well said. And as far as Robby Gordon being a dick. I have had 2 friends work for him and have met him several times. He has always been cool. I had my daughter with me at the Phoenix Race last year and he was so kind with her. He was late for a meeting and was trying to leave, she asked for an autograph, he stopped and signed a hat, a shirt and a car for her and then took a picture with her. Some idiot made an inappropriate comment within earshot of her and he told them to quiet down, there were kids around. If that kind of person is a dick, then I wish there were more dicks in racing.