PDA

View Full Version : Anybody commute from Temecula/Murrieta to Orange County?

Tremor Therapy
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
And if you do make that commute, where in Orange County do you work, and how long of a commute is it? My wife is set on moving to the Temecula/Murrieta area, and has a potential job offer in Newport Beach. I was just wondering how long of a commute she would be looking at each day.

Throttle
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
one of the guys I work with drives into Irvine from French Valley, about 60 miles... 1 hour plus 30 - 45 minutes. he comes over the ortega.

Pussywhippled
04-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Every god damn day for the last 15 years...
Wildomar to Anaheim, 45 miles one way.
Sometimes 45 minutes, and sometimes 3 hours...
Temecula to Newport??? I'd rather take an ass-wooping everyday.
Or there's always Ortega Hwy...
Let's see... I'll once again take the ass-wooping.
One more thing... After 911 when things got tough my wife had to go to work after 8 years of staying home.
She drove Ortega Hwy for 3 years and hated everyday of it.
But the worst was me thinking about her driving it everyday, and living or dying.
To this day she can drive through it 30 minutes faster than I can because she knows all of the corners.
In knowing all of the curves and corners, she also knows where all of the cars have gone off the road as well.
I made her quit and work in Temecula, just for the fact I couldn't handle the stress of not knowing if she was going to make it home that day.

Johnwithjm
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
French Valley to Corona every day 40 min to and hour or more. Depends on traffic.

locogringo
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Alan;
If driving doesn't bother her then go for it but I know I would get tired of it.
Don't know about Ortega Hwy route but for Newport wouldn't you go the 91 route?
I feel for ya.
If ya need a house down there with no new loan (where you just assume the mortgage) I have a few really nice homes that will be available pretty soon.
Hope all is well with you and the "familia"
Daniel

shockwaveharry
04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I was doing it from Perris to Fletcher Jones in Newport... about 52 miles each way. It was a minimum hour and a half door to door... About an hour from the 15/91 interchange. I rode my bike mostly and could do the commute in an hour.
That said, it will suck the life out of her. It could also potentially ruin your marriage. That would be my #1 consideration. If I could turn the clock back 10 years, I would rather have rented a condo in the OC and been happy at home. Just my opinion though... But be sure that it will raise whatever your current stress level is by a bunch.

Dave4XTC
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Murrieta to Irvine, 62 miles = 1hr 10min but I work 6 to 2:30:D and miss a lot of the traffic, if I work late I'm F'ed 2 hrs + to get home.

dumbandyoung
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I was working in Corona for a while when i lived in Costa MEsa. It was nice going the oppisite way of traffic. I feel bad for you guys that make that drive. Not only does it take for ever, but the fast track bill must suck every month too.

Pussywhippled
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I pay more for Fast-track and gas per month than my first house payment...

SandbarScot
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I am originally from Huntington Beach and have lived in Murrieta for the past 16+ years. The traffic gets worse each year. If your wife can work non-traditional hours, it might be worth it. Otherwise, she should plan on a long commute - FastTrack is a must - as well as the 241 toll road. That job in Newport needs to pay a LOT more to be worth it. Just my dos centavos.

Riverhound
04-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Alan,
I live in Chino and my office is 35 miles away in Costa Mesa. Drive time can vary from 40 minutes to 2 hours but averages a little over an hour each way. The only thing that keeps me sane is the 241/261 toll roads and even that is getting crowded. It's not cheap either, about $160 a month...
It can be done but it will take it's toll on you physically and mentally so be prepared... Books on CD help alot:D

Bow Tie Omega
04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Born and raised in the OC with my dad. Mom lived in Temecula. I moved and lived in Temecula as an adult until 2 years ago. TO make a long story short, timing is key. My wife and I have done the drive from Temecula to Tustin and Westminster. Leave extra early. Ortega is down to one lane right now for lane widening and erosion control. Have not done the drive in rush hour for 2 1/2 years. The rule of thumb then was to be on the 91 west by 5 am and on the 91 east by 3pm, actually 2:30. If not, there were days, many days that the drive was 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours from Temecula to Westminster. People out here bitch about the 60 and the 10 for the 3 hour traffic rush. None of them have had dinner on the hood of their car stuck on the 91:mad: Make sure she gets a raise to cover her new Fast Track bill. There is a reason the 91 freeway between the 15 and 55 is rated as the worst freeway in America

Tremor Therapy
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Well,
Daniel and Scott the familia is doing great!
The original increase was going to be somewhere between 1-2k per month, but it sounds like it needs to be at least 2k just to cover the car, gas, and fast track bill! :eek: I told her that I didn't think any amount of money would cover the headache.

Havasu1986
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I live in Yorba Linda. I can't count how many times I've been at T.G.I.F's off of the 91.And sat at the bar and heard someone talking that they gave up on the freeway and had to get a drink until the traffic got better.:mad:

Cole Trickle
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
There would be no amout of $$ worth making that commute.(The 15 sucks:( )
I drive from Corona (GreenRiver) to Tustin (Irvine Blvd) daily and without Fasttrak I would go crazy. With fast trak it takes me about 30-60 minutes to drive 25 miles each way depending on traffic.
The monthly $300.00 contribution to fast trak and the toll roads sucks but helps keep me sane.:) ;)

AirtimeLavey
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Not worth the stress, time wasted sitting and driving, etc. unless she works very unusual hours. Higher gas bills and toll road bills, too. It's only going to get worse. It'd have to be major money or benies for me to do anything like ever again.
My wife works in SJC and drives to IE a couple times a wk. Fortunately for her, she can arrange her schedule for 10a to 7p, missing most of the heavy traffic. I'm not too keen on her not getting home until 8p, but we also have a place in Laguna, that she can stay, too.

BrianB
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
If your schedule is flexable that's one thing,if you have to punch the clock workin for the man you will soon be in trouble.
The 91 is rotten. But the 15 is becoming just as bad.
More often than not it takes me 45 mins to travel 8 miles north to the 91
Ortega hwy is a joke.I went thru today and they've started the 3yr "Improvement".Which means it is now one lane with orange vest traffic control.
A few years ago I would have said go for it.
Stay a couple of nights at Pechanga,test the commute and let her feel the pain:(

HOOTER SLED-
04-12-2007, 03:21 PM
There would be no amout of $$ worth making that commute.(The 15 sucks:( )
I drive from Corona (GreenRiver) to Tustin (Irvine Blvd) daily and without Fasttrak I would go crazy. With fast trak it takes me about 30-60 minutes to drive 25 miles each way depending on traffic.
The monthly $300.00 contribution to fast trak and the toll roads sucks but helps keep me sane.:) ;)
You need a fast Honda like mine. Or stop driving like a bitch. :crossx: :crossx: I drive 47 miles from off the 710, and it takes me 45-60 minutes most of the time. Oh, I don't get off at 5pm. :D
Just wait till that construction on Green River is done. You and Diddy are sure gonna love all that traffic on Foothill in your backyard. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Think of all the peeps cutting through now to the 15. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

djunkie
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Damm and I thought my 10 minute drive to work was bad. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

HOOTER SLED-
04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Damm and I thought my 10 minute drive to work was bad. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
And that's cuz your Mommy drops you off and drives slow. :crossx:

Cole Trickle
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
You need a fast Honda like mine. Or stop driving like a bitch. :crossx: :crossx: I drive 47 miles from off the 710, and it takes me 45-60 minutes most of the time. Oh, I don't get off at 5pm. :D
Just wait till that construction on Green River is done. You and Diddy are sure gonna love all that traffic on Foothill in your backyard. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Think of all the peeps cutting through now to the 15. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Dude.....I'm still having dirty dreams about your wife when you punch the time clock at 5am. If I got up at the Butt crack of dawn to report to work I could make it in 15 minutes:D:D

Havasu1986
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Some people have C.B.'s and they tell each other where the traffic is on the 91. Do you stay on the side streets or use the freeway. Where are the accidents and so on. I think they use channel 19.:confused: :)

Cole Trickle
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
LMAO....what a queer !:D :devil: :D

djunkie
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
You've seen her drive huh? :D

HM
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I drive a couple times a week into Missing Banjo (Mission Viejo)...and the Ortega Hwy is the only way I will go...even with the construction. The longest it has taken me is 1.5 hours from Canyon Lake. When they announced the construction on the Ortega, with only one lane open, I decided to try the 15-91 route. Afer 2 days of taking over 2 hours...I said f that...and tried the Ortega hwy and found it tolerable since many people are not using it. The longest wait on Ortega is at Antonio Parkway in San Juan...the construction on the mountain is a breeze compared to that fiasco...but the construction at Antonio Parkway should be done in another month.

BrendellaJet
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I drive a couple times a week into Missing Banjo (Mission Viejo)...and the Ortega Hwy is the only way I will go...even with the construction. The longest it has taken me is 1.5 hours from Canyon Lake. When they announced the construction on the Ortega, with only one lane open, I decided to try the 15-91 route. Afer 2 days of taking over 2 hours...I said f that...and tried the Ortega hwy and found it tolerable since many people are not using it. The longest wait on Ortega is at Antonio Parkway in San Juan...the construction on the mountain is a breeze compared to that fiasco...but the construction at Antonio Parkway should be done in another month.
Are you coming up Ortega or going down Antonio?

HM
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Are you coming up Ortega or going down Antonio?
Ortega to the 5 in the morning. My office is off of Alicia(Obrero) and Jeronimo. Home of the Crushin Russian. :D

jbtrailerjim
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Temecula/Murrieta area to Newport every week day? Good luck with that. I couldn't imagine making that drive 5 days a week. I'd go insane. Hell, if I have to drive that 91fwy into Orange County once every six months I bitch. That freeway absolutely sucks! I swear there must be traffic 24/7 on that thing. I've driven on that damn thing at 1:00am on a Saturday night and sat in frickin traffic.

rollin24/7
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
My wife and I recently moved from Aliso Viejo (both 15minutes from work) to Murrieta. The wife makes the drive every day but the job she has financially is very worth it for us and it was part of the plan for her to work there until Sept of this year. My commute is 10 days a month(fireman schedule) and it doesn't bother me a bit. Ortega isn't bad if you get on it before 5:30, 91 is the 91. A few of the ***boaters here nailed it.....if the job is going to be paying her some cha-ching then it's a no brainer.
We have NO regrets moving there considering that we trippled the size of our house, everything is new out there, and the schools are top notch and most importantly we have room at the house for the boat:) . Total time though for her will be no less than 1hr30minutes.

v-drive
04-13-2007, 07:35 AM
I 've lived in Mission viejo since 1976 but have never heard it referred to missing banjo. Where did you come up with that:confused: v-drive

barbigrl
04-13-2007, 07:47 AM
That commute is HORRIBLE!!
My commute now consists of Newport to Long Beach...on PCH all the way! I get to stare at the ocean the whole time.....better then traffic ridden 405!

BEER&WATER
04-13-2007, 08:09 AM
i would live in a single wide in kingman before i would ever move back to so cal and put up with all the grief that place has to offer

talkinghead
04-13-2007, 07:45 PM
I can't figure out why so many people seem so desperate to live in So Cal...

BrendellaJet
04-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Ortega to the 5 in the morning. My office is off of Alicia(Obrero) and Jeronimo. Home of the Crushin Russian. :D
Gotcha, I was going to suggest taking antonio to ortega(on the commute back) but sounds like you are stuck with the route you are on...

ElimJimsOtherHalf
04-14-2007, 09:28 AM
91/15 to Newport Beach minimum 1.75 hours in traffic hours.
I take Metrolink daily from LaSierra to Tustin (1 hr) and leave an old car in Tustin (best way to get from train to Newport Beach)

ElimJimsOtherHalf
04-14-2007, 09:30 AM
A train connecting from Temecula through Riverside is planned for the nearer term future...not sure what year though.

busterbox
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
In my experience with So. Cal traffic, a commute of 30-40 miles would take you 45min to an hour if you left at 5:00am. But if you left the house 15min later, say 5:15am, it would take 1 1/2 hr to 2hr to cover the same distance. In the afternoon, F*CK IT your screwed. Just go to store and pick up a handy six of your favorite bev. and you'll be fine. ROAD RAGE is when you finish that hand six and your in grid lock and can't get off the fricken frwy to pee:mad: That's life in So. Cal. Live with it or Move.
P.S. And People up here in Sactown think that 30 miles with a commute time of 45min to an 1hr is bad. (pending there are no accidents). I have to laugh.:D