PDA

View Full Version : Dory Boats down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon

Debbolas
04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Anyone know anything about Dory boating down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon?
We are going next week for a 7 day trip....
I read in the pamphlet you can jet boat there:D But my group want's to Dory Boat it.......
Deb<----------New jet boat fan ;)

JB in so cal
04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Anyone know anything about Dory boating down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon?
We are going next week for a 7 day trip....
I read in the pamphlet you can jet boat there:D But my group want's to Dory Boat it.......
Deb<----------New jet boat fan ;)
What kind of gel design are you going with?:)

Debbolas
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
OK, No disrespect intended........but these boats are 40 years old.....and they look like little brightly painted fishing boats....I understand the history of the Dory boat down the canyon....but I'm thinking a nice jet boat would be great;)
(Ahhell, can I borrow your boat?)

JB in so cal
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Oh. And btw, you'll be ROWING, I think.
Sounds like fun:eek: Where do you, uhmmm, excuse the brashness,,,,..... drop a duece??Is there a daily newspaper delivery? Starbucks?
Better order the helicopter evac. right now...

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:07 AM
yeah, we have to sit where the captain tells us to sit and every now and then we GET to BAIL:D out the boat
They have little pottys they set up in each days camp. They cook and clean for us :D We get to hike around each day in a different spot. I'm really looking forward to that...I just want a nice jet boat to get me around ;)
(oh and there are rapids, we get to shoot rapids):jawdrop:

shueman
04-12-2007, 06:16 AM
River Rafting is awesome, don't need no jetboat...you'll have a great tiime... :cool:

Havasu1986
04-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Will you have internet access.:D

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:23 AM
River Rafting is awesome, don't need no jetboat...you'll have a great tiime... :cool:
Really? I hope so...:D
I'm just reading the information papers and it says:
"There is no drinking allowed while on the river. Consumpton of alcoholic beverages is only allowed while in camp"
:jawdrop:
I've been walking each morning (since January )to get ready for our hike out of the canyon...I'm excited about the wilderness of the trip :D We will be roughing it, but I don't have to cook ;)

ahhell
04-12-2007, 06:26 AM
(Ahhell, can I borrow your boat?)
only if I can go with you.......:idea:
rapids would be a blast:eek:

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Will you have internet access.:D
I don't think so ;)
Our friend that pitched the idea to us, is a geologist and use to work for the Forest Service in areas like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite...He said this is the only place he's been were he REALLY felt "away from the things of man"
A true wilderness adventure.:D
(I'm just a bit concerned about my back):(

Desert Rat
04-12-2007, 06:27 AM
(oh and there are rapids, we get to shoot rapids):jawdrop:
Hopefully you won't be shooting the rapids on one of those little porta pottys:sqeyes: That could be messy:yuk: :D

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:31 AM
only if I can go with you.......:idea:
rapids would be a blast:eek:
Well.............of course your invited...........just pony up some dough;)
It's going to be fun, It's going to be fun, It's going to be fun :D

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Hopefully you won't be shooting the rapids on one of those little porta pottys:sqeyes: That could be messy:yuk: :D
No, they set those up in camp each day.....We ride in the boats down the river and each day set up a new camp...They have to pack out EVERYTHING they bring into the canyon.
Today I get to go buy neophrene booties to wear under my water sandles;)
(I guess I don't need a pedicure)

RiverToysJas
04-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Having two good arms, it should be a piece of cake of you Deb! It's been done with half that many. :D

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Having two good arms, it should be a piece of cake of you Deb! It's been done with half that many. :D
Not all of us are John Powell........;)
Yeah, but didn't he lose some of his men to Indians??
The guide book says:
Dr. Elzada Clover and Lois Jotter became the first women to successfully complete a Canyon run, traveling with Norman Nevills in 1938.
Ed Hudson and Dock Marston drove the first powerboat "Esmeralda II" through in 1949 setting a record of four and one half days.
Deb<------knows her canyon history ((or how to read the guide books))
;)

Moon Ray
04-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Did that trip a year ago, Bright Angel trail to Phantom ranch. Hike is about 4 -5 hrs. Guides will probably be Roger and Cindel Dale, best there is for my money. You will hike every day and get wet and bail boat every day and some on trip may submarine ( boat completly goes below surface) but stays upright. Very exciting! No cell service and no outside contact, very much an outdoor back to nature trip. We liked it so much we are going on another this summer on the Middle fork of the Salmon with same adventure company.

RiverToysJas
04-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, but didn't he lose some of his men to Indians??
That's all part of the experience! What fun it there in knowing you'll make it??? :confused:

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Did that trip a year ago, Bright Angel trail to Phantom ranch. Hike is about 4 -5 hrs. Guides will probably be Roger and Cindel Dale, best there is for my money. You will hike every day and get wet and bail boat every day and some on trip may submarine ( boat completly goes below surface) but stays upright. Very exciting! No cell service and no outside contact, very much an outdoor back to nature trip. We liked it so much we are going on another this summer on the Middle fork of the Salmon with same adventure company.
I am looking forward to it. I expect it will be a challange and something I will not soon forget. Kinda nervous about the hike out...how difficult was it? Did you get very cold in the canyon?
That's all part of the experience! What fun it there in knowing you'll make it???
Thanks Jason! :D you're right!!!:jawdrop:

Mardonzi
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
If you are coming into Page before you start, you damned well better look up TnB and Us for a margarita!!!
I did the Gates of LaDore years ago in a Dory,,, it was a riot. Not very forgiving though,, prepare to get wet.

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I would LOVE :D to see you all! But I think we are staying in Flagstaff and then leaving from Lee's Ferry.

Moon Ray
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you start at Lees and end at Kbob or Bright Angel trail you can choose either one out. Heard Kbob was a little easier.
They say down trail is harder than up trail, either way you will be gettin a workout. Just imagin a 5 hr hike up rough terraine.(donkey path, poop, pee and all the smell that goes with it)
Air temp was unusually high for our trip around 100 but water temp was icy cold. you will not be swimming. Sleeping under stars is the best.

Mardonzi
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I would LOVE :D to see you all! But I think we are staying in Flagstaff and then leaving from Lee's Ferry.
I ought to drag Mark down there to Cliff Dwellers for breakfast one of these days. It's about 3 miles down the road from Lees Ferry

Donttreadonme
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
What do you want to know? I worked for Grand Canyon Dories for two summers...

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Sounds like you start at Lees and end at Kbob or Bright Angel trail you can choose either one out. Heard Kbob was a little easier.
They say down trail is harder than up trail, either way you will be gettin a workout. Just imagin a 5 hr hike up rough terraine.(donkey path, poop, pee and all the smell that goes with it)
Air temp was unusually high for our trip around 100 but water temp was icy cold. you will not be swimming. Sleeping under stars is the best.
We want to hike out a different trail than the Bright Angel Trail, but now the National Park Service wants to send a guide with us to be sure we take that stinky trail out. The other one, is steeper but better (according to our friend)
I've been walking 3 miles (half uphill) each morning since January to prepare for this trip, but I'm still nervous about the hike out.:jawdrop:
I ought to drag Mark down there to Cliff Dwellers for breakfast one of these days. It's about 3 miles down the road from Lees Ferry
Sounds good to me :D I'll PM you with Matt's cell number
What do you want to know? I worked for Grand Canyon Dories for two summers...
Why are we using dory boats instead of rafts?
How bumpy is it?
How cold will it be?
Can you recomend clothing?
Thanks!
Deb:D

ahhell
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Why are we using dory boats instead of rafts?...cuz its a dory trip
How bumpy is it?...hang on to your chi chi's
How cold will it be?....expect snow
Can you recomend clothing?...something in a buttercream with fur around the collar
Thanks!
sorry Deb...had to:D :D :D

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 06:12 AM
sorry Deb...had to:D :D :D
You have a big head ;)
LOL :D
oh, I should go find that big headed bob pic that JBB made.......it's too funny :D

RiverToysJas
04-13-2007, 06:18 AM
1. Why are we using dory boats instead of rafts?
2. How bumpy is it?
3. How cold will it be?
4. Can you recomend clothing?
Thanks!
1) Indian arrows will pop rafts, you have a better shot of making it in a Dory.
2) The busted hulls of previous Dory wreck to cause a lot of navigational hazards, but you'll just flow over them.
3) 115 degree air temps.....42 degree water temps....and you will get wet.
4) Dory trip's are like all boating trips.....clothing optional.
I hope that helps.
RTJas :D

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 06:20 AM
1) Indian arrows will pop rafts, you have a better shot of making it in a Dory.
2) The busted hulls of previous Dory wreck to cause a lot of navigational hazards, but you'll just flow over them.
3) 115 degree air temps.....42 degree water temps....and you will get wet.
4) Dory trip's are like all boating trips.....clothing optional.
I hope that helps.
I am constantly surprised by the amount of helpful advice this boating forum dispenses daily :D You all are just the best!:D
Deb<------------shaking her head

Moon Ray
04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Dory boats are the best, that is if you like the thrill of running rapids, some of the rafts are so big they can take 12 people or more and you loose alot of the thill.
How bumpy is it?
Dorys ride low with a flat botom and you will get wet.
How cold will it be?
Water very cold, especialy early am ride
Water proof for cold am somthing light and layers.
sounds like youve been training so you will be in good shape, just dont twist an ankle, I focused on every step ( I have a tendency to roll mine and that would suck)

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Dory boats are the best, that is if you like the thrill of running rapids, some of the rafts are so big they can take 12 people or more and you loose alot of the thill.
How bumpy is it?
Dorys ride low with a flat botom and you will get wet.
How cold will it be?
Water very cold, especialy early am ride
Water proof for cold am somthing light and layers.
sounds like youve been training so you will be in good shape, just dont twist an ankle, I focused on every step ( I have a tendency to roll mine and that would suck)
Thank you for the advice....I bought my hiking boots and wore them walking yesterday (they gave me a blister):jawdrop: So I need to break them in more.
I've almost twisted an ankle, but my walking shoes are very stable.:D
So I need to go buy some waterproof clothing, what do you recomend? I'm bringing long johns as well (I hate the cold) I understand we dress each day for the boat ride and then for hiking around camp.
Bumpy Boat Ride: How bumpy? I have a spinal fusion and can't ride horses....I usually stand up in our boat when it gets rough, I understand I won't be doing that in the Dory...and we get to bail? Sounds like a blast.
I am really looking forward to this. All the wilderness:D
But..........why don't we use jet boats? ;)
Bob said we could use his....

RiverToysJas
04-13-2007, 06:37 AM
I am constantly surprised by the amount of helpful advice this boating forum dispenses daily :D You all are just the best!:D
Deb<------------shaking her head
That's the great thing about Al Gore's Internet, anyone can say anything, so you know you're getting good information. ;)

Ziggy
04-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Sounds like a blast Deb..........have fun! Thats something me and Jan want to do too.
Oh yeah, Let us know if Dory finds Nemo too ;) :)

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a blast Deb..........have fun! Thats something me and Jan want to do too.
Oh yeah, Let us know if Dory finds Nemo too ;) :)
LOL, ok.....:D (I love that movie, when she talks like a whale)
Oh, you know me, I will bring back pictures and post a thread :D