PDA

View Full Version : All y'all drywallers and contractor types.....

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I need to know how much a 4x12 sheet of 1/2 inch weighs. Not sure if I'll haul it and save the delivery fee or just suck it up and pay the man 150.00.
Any help?
Thanks in advance
ROC

Hustler
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Thats seems a little steep. How far does it have to go?

Rob Freeman
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
You And Youre Wife Or Friend Easily Move It

XtrmWakeborder
04-11-2007, 07:40 PM
You And Youre Wife Or Friend Easily Move It
Ditto my skinny ass was carrying 2 4x8 sheets of 1/2 only limited to the awkwardness so you and sombody could easily do it.

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I need approx 50 sheets + a few buckets-o-mud near Blythe. Home Depot from Havasu will deliver for 150.
I have a flatbed rated at 7500 lbs and my F250 6.0. If I hauled it, I would get the stuff in Palm Desert and haul it 140 miles of highway. I just can't find the specs as far as weight goes.

YeLLowBoaT
04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
not sure exactly how much per sheet, but 30 sheets is ~1000 lbs( + or - 10)
thats just normal 1/2 if its fire or green its more.
I just hung 58 sheets today... gd thanks now my back hurts...

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
not sure exactly how much per sheet, but 30 sheets is ~1000 lbs( + or - 10)
thats just normal 1/2 if its fire or green its more.
Well hell, if that's the case I'm only looking at a ton or so. I may have to save to $$ and haul it myself. Yellowboat, you talking 12 footers?
It's not that I'm cheap, I'm just financially conservative:D

Mandelon
04-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Pay the fee. You'd have to drive there, load it, truck it back and unload it......
12'ers are heavy, one guy can do it, but carrying the two sheets at a time with two guys is faster, but still heavy after you do a few of them. Good to wear gloves, those ones with the rubber on the hands work well for good traction.
They'll will palletize the load and drop it wherever you want on the site, that a fork lift will reach. I would just pay the delivery cost.

YeLLowBoaT
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
now that was the 8's so that would make it about 1500 lbs... I hate drywall... if I have to get more then a coulpe sheets I always have them drop off and bill the custmer for it.( more so on the 12 ft... its not worth the risk of them breaking hanging out the back of the truck)

hava life
04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
IMO have Home Depot deliver. By the time you buy the drywall and mud then get it loaded in your truck drive to and from then unload you will have wanted to spend the $150 for delivery. Home Depot will bring it with a piggy back truck unload it and put it where you want it. Some things are better to put the extra money out for.

YeLLowBoaT
04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
IMO have Home Depot deliver. By the time you buy the drywall and mud then get it loaded in your truck drive to and from then unload you will have wanted to spend the $150 for delivery. Home Depot will bring it with a piggy back truck unload it and put it where you want it. Some things are better to put the extra money out for.
don't go to Homely depot... they are about 2 bucks more each for the 8's mostlikly more for the 12s... go to the building supply yard and get them...

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Pay the fee. You'd have to drive there, load it, truck it back and unload it......
12'ers are heavy, one guy can do it, but carrying the two sheets at a time with two guys is faster, but still heavy after you do a few of them. Good to wear gloves, those ones with the rubber on the hands work well for good traction.
They'll will palletize the load and drop it wherever you want on the site, that a fork lift will reach. I would just pay the delivery cost.
I agree with everything you said (except I didn't know bout them cute little gloves). I have a nine foot high garage door so I'm pretty sure the forklift can drop it in my garage. I was just gonna back my trailer into the garage and work from it. 150 bucks. Damn. Gotta make a decision quick cuz the cutoff for Friday delivery is manana en la manana.

Hustler
04-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I say pay the money also for that many sheets. By the end of the day your going to wish you would have. This way you can drink and point:D

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
OK OK, I've decided to suck it up and pay the man. Now, does anyone know how to hang/tape/mud/texture/primer/paint the sumbitch:D
Thanks to all for helping me spend andother $150 :D

YeLLowBoaT
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
OK OK, I've decided to suck it up and pay the man. Now, does anyone know how to hang/tape/mud/texture/primer/paint the sumbitch:D
yes I do...
go spend another 40 a day for the drywall lift at the rental yard...hanging the ceiling will suck otherwise. start there. then the top of the wall
if you really want to make your life ez they have a new tool that runs about 100 or so that has the skrews on a belt... you just push and go.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/165946_4.jpg
other then that break up the joints...and use a sharp utility knife to score the front then snap and cut. when you get it all hung I'll tell you how to tape...

badluck
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I know a really easy way,write another check.Drywall sucks,it's heavy, messy and cheaper to pay somone.Trust me,I'm cheap but I still pay for drywallers.By the way4x8 5/8 is 77 lbs. per sheet.Good luck to ya

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
yes I do...
go spend another 40 a day for the drywall lift at the rental yard...hanging the ceiling will suck otherwise. start there. then the top of the wall
if you really want to make your life ez they have a new tool that runs about 100 or so that has the skrews on a belt... you just push and go.
other then that break up the joints...and use a sharp utility knife to score the front then snap and cut. when you get it all hung I'll tell you how to tape...
LOL, I was just kidding, but thanks for helping. Unfortunately I bought a freakin lift already, figure I'll use it then sell it to some other poor bastard who decided to hang 3000 sf to save a few bucks. It should be a fun couple of days with me and 3 other guys working on it. Least we can BBQ and drink beer and laugh at the end of the day.
Thanks again for all y'alls help. I'll post pics of the circus when we're done.:D

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I know a really easy way,write another check.Drywall sucks,it's heavy, messy and cheaper to pay somone.Trust me,I'm cheap but I still pay for drywallers.By the way4x8 5/8 is 77 lbs. per sheet.Good luck to ya
I've tried going that route. Not sure if you're very familiar with my part of the river, but, the labor force is very thin. Called four different guys to look at the job, none of them called back.

Roaddogg 4040
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
If you are over 35 you will probably be laying on the floor crying at the end of the day, not BBQing:D :D :D
Steve

phebus
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Pay to haul it, pay to hang it, pay to tape it. Drink beer, and write checks. :D

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
If you are over 35 you will probably be laying on the floor crying at the end of the day, not BBQing:D :D :D
Steve
Why yes, I am. And no I won't.:D I hope.

clownpuncher
04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Pay to haul it, pay to hang it, pay to tape it. Drink beer, and write checks. :D
Baller. :D
I'm jus lil ol trailer trash;)

Chubby4Life
04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
If your garage is attached to your house, code requires 5/8 and possibly a double lid. Check your codes first. Also, as yellowboat said, stagger the joints, mark all cutouts on the floor and take the garage door down, the finish will look much cleaner. For the tape spend extra on the fiber mesh, it's self adhesive and easy to work with. If time is beginning to be an issue, buy the accelerant (buy it just in case) and mix it with the compound. When you mud try to leave everything crisp, this will be a big timesaver when sanding. For a garage, two coats and two sands should do it but it's your preference. After you texture, prime it or you'll see your handy work on the joints bleed through your paint.
I'm not a drywaller, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D
Chris

Wheeler
04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Be sure and use, paper tape, the mesh is good for patches and not much else.
Boxes of mud, are a better value, unless you need buckets.
Get multi purpose joint compound, or all purpose.
Use dry wall nails, to tack the board in place, then screw it off.
Dry wall finishing is simple, with a few good tips.
Texture? what is it you are hanging? Most people think, dry wall needs to be textured, this is not the case.
any questions? ask.

Chubby4Life
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Be sure and use, paper tape, the mesh is good for patches and not much else.
Boxes of mud, are a better value, unless you need buckets.
Get multi purpose joint compound, or all purpose.
Use dry wall nails, to tack the board in place, then screw it off.
Dry wall finishing is simple, with a few good tips.
Texture? what is it you are hanging? Most people think, dry wall needs to be textured, this is not the case.
any questions? ask.
What's the diff. between the paper and mesh? I ask because mesh is all I've used and seen used, as I said I don't do it professionally.

Wheeler
04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
What's the diff. between the paper and mesh? I ask because mesh is all I've used and seen used, as I said I don't do it professionally.
The mesh tape, has a tendency to crack, it is difficult to get a sharp angle, I have never, seen it used on any, of the jobs I have been on, in the last 30 years. If you take a good look at the mesh tape, you will understand the strength or lack of the material. Mesh tape would be stronger, if laid on a bias.
Mesh tape works great on patches, as long as the board to be patched, is stable.
Paper tape is, actually stronger.
Believe it, or not.
Besides, I am only a Dumb DryWaller .....

YeLLowBoaT
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
as said above mesh is good for repairs, but not great for much else. It just can not take the shifting houses do over time.
Most guys these days use ether a powered or manuel "bazooca" anyways, That way its just one pass not 3.

Chubby4Life
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
The mesh tape, has a tendency to crack, it is difficult to get a sharp angle, I have never, seen it used on any, of the jobs I have been on, in the last 30 years. If you take a good look at the mesh tape, you will understand the strength or lack of the material. Mesh tape would be stronger, if laid on a bias.
Mesh tape works great on patches, as long as the board to be patched, is stable.
Paper tape is, actually stronger.
Believe it, or not.
Besides, I am only a Dumb DryWaller .....
Makes sense actually, thanks for the info.:)

Wheeler
04-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I need approx 50 sheets + a few buckets-o-mud near Blythe. Home Depot from Havasu will deliver for 150.
I have a flatbed rated at 7500 lbs and my F250 6.0. If I hauled it, I would get the stuff in Palm Desert and haul it 140 miles of highway. I just can't find the specs as far as weight goes.
Friends just finished a new home in Salome Az. most of the materials, came from the hardware store in Blythe.
Any questions, Pm me, I will have computer access, till mid morning.