PDA

View Full Version : Focking Liberal Teachers...

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
My 1st grader came home today and told my wife that her teacher told the class about a bad man that killed/shot 30 students while they were at school. Apparently the 1st grade teacher felt it was OK to be the parent of my daughter today...WTF?
This is the same teacher that told her a few weeks ago that Abe Lincoln was shot in the head at close range.
We don't shelter our kids too much but I think this is out of line. The 6 year old kids don't need the graphic details. If a kid brought it up in class a simple "Johnny, something bad happened today and I think it would be best to ask your parents about it when you get home." would be a more appropriate approach for a room full of 1st graders.
Needless to say, I am paying a visit to the school tomorrow.

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Good for you... If you don't get what you want, keep working up the food chain.
Too many people love to complain, but won't do anything about.

wedge44
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
you go brother.....to many teachers influencing thier view and not fOking teaching...they get extra time off now for "enrichment time" it's just an excuse for extra timeoff......wedge

XtrmWakeborder
04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Question, how is this liberal? I'm not getting it.

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Question, how is this liberal? I'm not getting it.
Because liberals think that they know how to raise your kids better than you do. They do the same thing in public schools around the country with sex-ed/birth control, global warming/environmentalism, banning religion in school, multiculturalism, etc.

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Because liberals think that they know how to raise your kids better than you do. They do the same thing in public schools around the country with sex-ed/birth control, global warming/environmentalism, banning religion in school, multiculturalism, etc.
So if some one is "liberal" they are a bad person... if you didn't want a "liberal" teaching your child... why the hell did you wait til they did something that pissed you off before you deside to go to the school.

QuickJet
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't necissarily call what she did an act of liberalism but more rather a lack of good judgement. I don't doubt that she most likely is a liberal, however many teachers make bad choices no matter what side they lean twords politically.
Now if she started banter about the abolishment of the second amendment or strickter gun control laws because of what happend, then yes, I would deffinatly call it an act of unwanted liberalism bestowed upon your child.
As a parent though, I do understand your frustration with the public school system...:(

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
So if some one is "liberal" they are a bad person... if you didn't want a "liberal" teaching your child... why the hell did you wait til they did something that pissed you off before you deside to go to the school.
It's not like they have a sign around their neck that says "I'm a Liiberal". It takes a few clues to see what a teacher is all about.
How many kids do you have in school?

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't necissarily call what she did an act of liberalism but more rather a lack of good judgement. I don't doubt that she most likely is a liberal, however many teachers make bad choices no matter what side they lean twords politically.
Now if she started banter about the abolishment of the second amendment or strickter gun control laws because of what happend, then yes, I would deffinatly call it an act of unwanted liberalism bestowed upon your child.
As a parent though, I do understand your frustration with the public school system...:(
I agree, but there are other reasons/clues I have observed. This one just kind of hit a nerve. My kid was a little freaked out by it.

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
It's not like they have a sign around their neck that says "I'm a Liiberal". It takes a few clues to see what a teacher is all about.
How many kids do you have in school?
1( and its not even mine, long story) but the teacher, secraterys, pricapal, director of elementry schools, Dir of transperation and the super all know my face and name. I have had meetings with all of them. They know that I don't take any crap...( had a very bad prob with the bus driver... kept leaving "my child" at school among other things... its funny how after 1 meeting with the super I get a phone call from the dir of transperation only took 2 weeks for her to call me back after I left dailymessages... funny how she said: " the super just came by and told me to call you, to work out your issuse"...)
So I've gone down the road your heading down in the morning...

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
1( and its not even mine, long story) but the teacher, secraterys, pricapal, director of elementry schools, Dir of transperation and the super all know my face and name. I have had meetings with all of them. They know that I don't take any crap...( had a very bad prob with the bus driver... kept leaving "my child" at school among other things... its funny how after 1 meeting with the super I get a phone call from the dir of transperation only took 2 weeks for her to call me back after I left dailymessages... funny how she said: " the super just came by and told me to call you, to work out your issuse"...)
So I've gone down the road your heading down in the morning...
This won't be the first time I've been over there BTW.

QuickJet
04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
. My kid was a little freaked out by it.
Reason enough to go down there and knock some heads around.:hammer2:

Burn504
04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
maybe you should home school them if you dont want anybody elses opinion influenced on them but yours :confused:
start paying teachers more and maybe we will get better teachers. But for right now they are a bunch of test giving babysitters.

Brian
04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Uh, wow, you've got issues... :2purples:
And no, I'm not usually considered by many to be "liberal"! :D

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 10:09 PM
And no, I'm not usually considered by many to be "liberal"! :D
I dind't say all teachers were liberals.

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 10:10 PM
maybe you should home school them if you dont want anybody elses opinion influenced on them but yours :confused:
start paying teachers more and maybe we will get better teachers. But for right now they are a bunch of test giving babysitters.
It has nothing to do with pay... the best teachers would do for free. They love teaching and the kids...The prob is you can't get rid of the bad teachers. they have to fook up royal or touch a kid to be fired.
Teachers for the most part make a fair wage... they only work 3/4s of a year.

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
How about they just teach? Wow, what a concept:eek:
No doubt they are underpaid but that is not an excuse to tell a room full of 6 and 7 year-olds about a gunman killing 30 studens while they are at school. And then telling them that the police shot and killed the gunman.:eek: If I wanted my 6 year old to deal with this stuff I would let them watch the evening news:rolleyes:

Burn504
04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
It has nothing to do with pay... the best teachers would do for free. They love teaching and the kids...The prob is you can't get rid of the bad teachers. they have to fook up royal or touch a kid to be fired.
Teachers for the most part make a fair wage... they only work 3/4s of a year.
hahahahaha.. the best teachers would do it for free. Dude you got me cracking up over here. :smile:
would you do your job for free? I am sure you consider yourself good at your job.. or maybe even one of the best at what you do. And i highly doubt you would do it for free. You gotta pay the bills. Teaching should be a high paid job. You would get more people training to be teachers... Better workforce to pick from.
you think we got all these IT people around now because they want to do it for free? They were told thats where the money is ;)

Burn504
04-17-2007, 10:20 PM
No doubt they are underpaid but that is not an excuse to tell a room full of 6 and 7 year-olds about a gunman killing 30 studens while they are at school. And then telling them that the police shot and killed the gunman.:eek: If I wanted my 6 year old to deal with this stuff I would let them watch the evening news:rolleyes:
im saying you cant put a line at what the teacher can teach them about "LIFE" and what needs to be questions sent home with. "School" is more about social aspect of growing than textbook memorization. I think if thats all the teacher said about the VaTech thing and it was somehow brought up by a student then she did well.
if your child was 8 or 10 would it of been fine?

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 10:21 PM
hahahahaha.. the best teachers would do it for free. Dude you got me cracking up over here. :smile:
would you do your job for free? I am sure you consider yourself good at your job.. or maybe even one of the best at what you do. And i highly doubt you would do it for free. You gotta pay the bills. Teaching should be a high paid job. You would get more people training to be teachers... Better workforce to pick from.
you think we got all these IT people around now because they want to do it for free? They were told thats where the money is ;)
ugh its a experssion...my point is, the teachers that really enjoy thier jobs, don't care about the money... they care about the kids.
And for the record... I do work for free, I enjoy helping people... yes I could bill them for what I did, but I don't or I charge them very little.

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
So you think it is OK to give condoms to school kids without the parent's knowing? How about showing Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth movie to students without parental consent?
How do I have issues if I just expect teachers to teach math, science, English, etc? If these were 6th graders covering current events that is one thing but these kids are in 1st grade.

Outnumbered
04-17-2007, 10:25 PM
im saying you cant put a line at what the teacher can teach them about "LIFE" and what needs to be questions sent home with. "School" is more about social aspect of growing than textbook memorization. I think if thats all the teacher said about the VaTech thing and it was somehow brought up by a student then she did well.
if your child was 8 or 10 would it of been fine?
These kids are 6 and 7 and she was out of line. How old are your kids?

upsman105
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree, a 6 year old is too young to understand something like that, the teacher should not discuss that in 1st grade. I have a 5 year old in kindergarten, and if I want her to know about a lunatic killing kids at school, I will tell her. The teacher has a curriculum, please stick to it. For the record it is a free country, if a teacher thinks he or she is underpaid, take the education they have and see how much they make elsewhere with it...

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Hopefully your child is able to go to school today. I can imagine your child is pretty scared thinking someone might do that at their school. Definitely a good idea to pay a visit to the school and have a nice long talk with them about this. Please keep us updated.

b's sanger
04-18-2007, 06:14 AM
My 1st grader came home today and told my wife that her teacher told the class about a bad man that killed/shot 30 students while they were at school. Apparently the 1st grade teacher felt it was OK to be the parent of my daughter today...WTF?
This is the same teacher that told her a few weeks ago that Abe Lincoln was shot in the head at close range.
We don't shelter our kids too much but I think this is out of line. The 6 year old kids don't need the graphic details. If a kid brought it up in class a simple "Johnny, something bad happened today and I think it would be best to ask your parents about it when you get home." would be a more appropriate approach for a room full of 1st graders.
Well at least we can't say GOD in the pledge anymore. What a crock.

Old Texan
04-18-2007, 06:33 AM
My neighbor's daughter refused to go outside. She had to this point always enjoyed playing in the backyard and this abrupt change concerned them.
Her new private parochial 1st grade school teacher had told the class "The Devil is behind every tree, even in your own back yard, waiting to get you..." The poor little thing was terrified.
My neighbor blew a gasket and had a lonnnng talk with the principal.
It ain't about money or what type of school, it's about common sense and knowing how a young mind interprets or misinterprets new information.
I can still visualize an incident when I was 6 or 7. We were told about people living in Greece. I kept at my mother to explain how this could be, I had this vision that people were living in houses full of "grease" like my Dad used on our car and tractor. "Grease" just flowing out the windows and doors. Mother finally realized what my thoughts were and showed me a globe and explained the difference. :D
Little kids can only relate to what their brief experiences have shown them.

Summer LuvN
04-18-2007, 06:59 AM
You have good teachers and bad teachers. The problem today is not many parents take an interest and the bad ones get away with the bullsh** they pull. Lucky for me, my children and I have great communication. My son was a smart azz to one of the teachers so to to get even with him she took all his A's and turned them into F's. Two days later we had an apology saying she was only joking.... Yeah right..

Debbolas
04-18-2007, 06:59 AM
It was wrong for your childs teacher to talk about the Virginia shooting.
As for teachers "trying to raise your kid"....the school I tutor at has so many children that do not have a good healthy family life.
No one is parenting them.
It's just sad...you can really tell the students that have a good family life and those that don't. Money doesn't make THAT much of a difference. The school I work at is in an affluent area, but we have some HUD housing .
Go to your school and talk to the principal, it is completely wrong for a first grade teacher to be discussing shootings. You might want to check with the teacher first, to be sure she did say that.....you know kids :D
and if you hate liberal teachers, just wait until your kids gets into junior high or high school...............THEY ARE EVERYWHERE:jawdrop:

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree that if you feel the teacher did something that you do not agree with then, by all means, go meet with them. But don't go in all gang busters, calling names, and accusatory. The teacher did something that you are not agreeing to. Keep it there.
And I also agree that teachers are there to teach our children...liberal or not. To bunch teachers into a mold, calling everyone who teaches a liberal as though that is a bad thing, is not the way it goes. Just remember that it's best to agree to disagree and remember the good old Golden Rule....do unto others...and that includes placing molds around an individual just because they have chosen a certain career. Remember this...someone else may think the same about you.

rodnjen
04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
That's quite a stretch. I get your concern about the teacher presenting such a violent subjet to a first-grade glass, but linking the that to the rest of your agenda is pretty "libral" use of your imagination.

Waldo
04-18-2007, 07:30 AM
But for right now they are a bunch of test giving babysitters.
HEY...I resemble that remark! STAR testing is just around the corner:D.
The problem today is not many parents take an interest
In my experience as a teacher...VERY TRUE. Good for you parents that are active in your child's education and acting on your concerns. IMO - Good Communication is very important if you want anything accomplished.
As far as telling a 1st grade class about a school shooting...probably not a good idea. I know I wouldn't want my daughter's K-garten teacher discussing it with the class. However, if one child knows about the incident (news/parents/friends) prior to school, most of the other students will know very fast. It would most likely be brought up to the class or teacher...this happens all the time as our young ones are like sponges and then want to share every little bit. Little story - My daughter came home one day and told me Brittany Spears had shaved her head and was on drugs. This was before I knew. Apparently, she was told by a classmate and she was told by her parents. Too funny.
There is a fine line we have to walk in this area for sure. Some teachers feel they have the "duty" to discuss these situations for awareness...this should be a school-wide safety concern/practice.
Back to babysitting!:D

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I agree that if you feel the teacher did something that you do not agree with then, by all means, go meet with them. But don't go in all gang busters, calling names, and accusatory. The teacher did something that you are not agreeing to. Keep it there.
And I also agree that teachers are there to teach our children...liberal or not. To bunch teachers into a mold, calling everyone who teaches a liberal as though that is a bad thing, is not the way it goes. Just remember that it's best to agree to disagree and remember the good old Golden Rule....do unto others...and that includes placing molds around an individual just because they have chosen a certain career. Remember this...someone else may think the same about you.
I may be all fired up here and throw my opinion bluntly but I understand that there is a professional way to deal with this and I would never even bring the liberal thing up in the discussion. They would just think I am a right-wing kook:D
Oh, and again...I never called all teachers liberal. I simply do not like liberal teachers.

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 07:41 AM
That's quite a stretch. I get your concern about the teacher presenting such a violent subjet to a first-grade glass, but linking the that to the rest of your agenda is pretty "libral" use of your imagination.
Refer to my post #21 above and tell me how I am wrong. These are both real examples of liberals thinking they know how to raise kids better than the parents by pushing their agenda. Let's just have the teachers stick to the curriculum. I think it would benefit all.

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
STAR testing at my Daughters school this week. Pulling her out tomorrow and Friday so we can go to Havasu.
HEY...I resemble that remark! STAR testing is just around the corner:D.

Jyruiz
04-18-2007, 07:47 AM
You will be happy to know that my wife is a teacher and is not a liberal.:D

Blown 472
04-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Holy shit are you whacked.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I think you are doing the right thing by going to the school and having a talk with who ever is in charge of the school.. I do feel highly the teacher had no right IMO to discuss what happen on T.V or at the collage. The kids are too young. If the parents of a 5-6 year old wants them to know this then let it be the parents decission to tell them. Not the teacher. I think the teacher should have looked at the student or class and said this is not something he or she should be asnswering and they should ask their parents..
I am sure alot of these kids that heard about it did not want to go to school in fear of it happening to them.. I feel she was 100% wrong in answering anything about that situation. It is a few days old.. Don't you think the questions this kids is asking would have been answered at home by the parents? If he or she is trying to get answers it is apparent to me the parents of that child didn't want them to know the details and that is why this child asked the teacher. But this is my opinion. :D
you are doing the right thing and follow through with your decission.:)

Coded-Dude
04-18-2007, 08:06 AM
You weren't able to originally say GOD in the pledge.....that was added during the communism scare. [/off-topic]
I would talk tot he teacher as well, though I would find out in what manner the topic came up.
It may have not been a case of: "just another whack-job liberal teacher trying to raise my kids for me!"

dumbandyoung
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I just had a 2 hour conversation about what happens when liberals open their mouth last night. :mad:
Do yourself and your kids a favor and put them in private Christian school. then they wont learn all that garbage form these aging hippies.

XtrmWakeborder
04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Time for private school until your child grows up, i'm positive my learning environment was 100 times better than that of public schools when I was younger.

RiverDave
04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I guess I gotta be missing something?
Seems to me that she was teaching?
I'm confused as to why your so upset about this?
Why don't you let your kids watch the evening news?
I'll answer your next question.. No I don't have kids.
RD

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I guess I gotta be missing something?
Seems to me that she was teaching?
I'm confused as to why your so upset about this?
Why don't you let your kids watch the evening news?
I'll answer your next question.. No I don't have kids.
RD
well Dave.. you know I love you.. But :D
not having kids may be why you do not understand. .. But you know I love you.
If you can see the look on a kids face of 5-6 knowing there is people like this out there killing kids in a school.. don't you think they would be scared to death and not want to go to school.. cause you can't actually look at this kid and say.. "Well it won't happen in your school." cause it can..
It's just the fact that this parent didn't feel something like this should have been explained by her..:D
did I mention I love you dave.:D

Jordy
04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
And then telling them that the police shot and killed the gunman.:eek:
Now that is way out of line!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Last I heard, the guy turned the gun on himself before the cops could get to him. :D :D :D

rodnjen
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Outnumbered;2507881]So you think it is OK to give condoms to school kids without the parent's knowing? How about showing Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth movie to students without parental consent?
Again, those are examples with older kids. If the kids are getting condums in school without their parent's knowledge then the parents are the ones that need help. As for the movie, all schools show films that have social relevance (Dr. Zhivago, Citizen Kain)(SP), just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's not relevant.
Kids go to school to learn how to think as well as learm the three r's. Ideally the kids are being taught to think at home, but we all know that's just not the case.

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey a lot of you guys are making good points but my main issue here is it is not appropriate for the age group.
If my kid came home and asked about it because she heard it at school I'm not going to lie to her but I will use my parenting skills on how I feel it is best to explain it to my kid. All kids are different so the teacher using some blanket approach to parenting is out of line IMHO.

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 01:10 PM
well Dave.. you know I love you.. But :D
not having kids may be why you do not understand. .. But you know I love you.
If you can see the look on a kids face of 5-6 knowing there is people like this out there killing kids in a school.. don't you think they would be scared to death and not want to go to school.. cause you can't actually look at this kid and say.. "Well it won't happen in your school." cause it can..
It's just the fact that this parent didn't feel something like this should have been explained by her..:D
did I mention I love you dave.:D
Agreed. And BTW, the teacher does not have any of her own kids...nuff said.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey a lot of you guys are making good points but my main issue here is it is not appropriate for the age group.
If my kid came home and asked about it because she heard it at school I'm not going to lie to her but I will use my parenting skills on how I feel it is best to explain it to my kid. All kids are different so the teacher using some blanket approach to parenting is out of line IMHO.
100% correct.. :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Agreed. And BTW, the teacher does not have any of her own kids...nuff said.
there lies the problem. I don't care if she is a teacher or not..:) some things are better off not said.

Coded-Dude
04-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Have you even confirmed who started the SUBJECT.
Its seems as though many here have already convicted the teacher of tryuing to force these students to learn of the NEWS due to some hidden liberal agenda to brainwash Conservative parent's kids.
As others have stated: it could have been some other kid that brought it up and the teacher(how properly/in-properly is left to interpretation) elaborated on the story.
I'm not trying to go to bat for this teacher, as I agree the subject matter is a little mature, but don't string up a noose until you actually figure out what happened.
A calm, composed, repsectful discussion of what you deem appropriate learning material will be sufficient.
(unless it happens again, in which case I would by-pass the teacher and go to a superior)

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Have you even confirmed who started the SUBJECT.
Its seems as though many here have already convicted the teacher of tryuing to force these students to learn of the NEWS due to some hidden liberal agenda to brainwash Conservative parent's kids.
As others have stated: it could have been some other kid that brought it up and the teacher(how properly/in-properly is left to interpretation) elaborated on the story.
I'm not trying to go to bat for this teacher, as I agree the subject matter is a little mature, but don't string up a noose until you actually figure out what happened.
A calm, composed, repsectful discussion of what you deem appropriate learning material will be sufficient.
(unless it happens again, in which case I would by-pass the teacher and go to a superior)
Read my first post: We don't shelter our kids too much but I think this is out of line. The 6 year old kids don't need the graphic details. If a kid brought it up in class a simple "Johnny, something bad happened today and I think it would be best to ask your parents about it when you get home." would be a more appropriate approach for a room full of 1st graders. Regardless of how it started it could have been handled another way.
I have not talked to the teacher yet.

HM
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Should we start getting the shark tank ready with a ramp?

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Should we start getting the shark tank ready with a ramp?
Why?

Coded-Dude
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Right, and I kind of got that form you post....I didn't actually think you were going to charge in ranting and raving like the wild-man you are here on the internet. :D I guess i'm just trying to quell a lot of slanted comments about the teacher, when the full story has yet to be unveiled.
Good luck with that though.

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Right, and I kind of got that form you post....I didn't actually think you were going to charge in ranting and raving like the wild-man you are here on the internet. :D I guess i'm just trying to quell a lot of slanted comments about the teacher, when the full story has yet to be unveiled.
Good luck with that though.
I'm with ya. We all spout out how we feel on here and I doubt that any of us are really so vocal in person. My first post was made when I was pretty fuming pissed about this whole thing. I guess the thread title can be read a few ways:)

HM
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Why?
LOL. I'm wich you. I'm undercover.

dumbandyoung
04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Speaking of age groups. It really upsets me when I flip to Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network and other children channels to see these Truth commercials. Is it right for these liberal ran organizations to air commercials directed to young kids. Telling them about how many unborn babies die every year form second hand smoke, or how many kids loose their parents or grandparents to tobacco. Thats not the way you teach kids. I believe that scarring children is the wrong way to teach them. That is information that these younger children do not need to be hearing IMO. Im not a parent but I would not want other people teaching my children things that they should learn at home or from the people that know the correct way to express something to a child without being attached to the subject by their own personal beliefs.

ULTRA26 # 1
04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I just had a 2 hour conversation about what happens when liberals open their mouth last night. :mad:
Do yourself and your kids a favor and put them in private Christian school. then they wont learn all that garbage form these aging hippies.
Your screen name fits your comment. I suggest you try and use your head a little more before you open your mouth. I bet even the aging hippies you refer to know how to think before the speak. Not all Conservatives want, nor can afford to have, their children in private Christian schools. Did you go to a private Christian school? If so, is this how you were taught to react? I hope not
I understand Outnumbered's concerns. Without speaking with the teacher, there are too many unknowns to be passing judgment. I can't imagine that passing judgment without full knowledge of the facts is the proper way to deal with any issue.
Hopefully Outnumbered will get to the bottom of this, and develop a relationship with the teacher. It's difficult to imagine a teacher of 5 or 6 years olds that wouldn't be sensitive to the child's emotions with regard to such a serious matter. If it is true that this teacher took it upon his/her self to tell a class of 6 year olds about 30 plus students being murdered, at school, by a gunman, I believe Outnumbered needs to consider other educational options.
Speaking of age groups. It really upsets me when I flip to Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network and other children channels to see these Truth commercials. Is it right for these liberal ran organizations to air commercials directed to young kids. Telling them about how many unborn babies die every year form second hand smoke, or how many kids loose their parents or grandparents to tobacco. Thats not the way you teach kids. I believe that scarring children is the wrong way to teach them. That is information that these younger children do not need to be hearing IMO. Im not a parent but I would not want other people teaching my children things that they should learn at home or from the people that know the correct way to express something to a child without being attached to the subject by their own personal beliefs.
First of all, teaching children the affects of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes, to look both ways before you cross the street, what a red light and a green light means, etc., should be done at all levels. This is what commonly known as education. Education is about providing facts. This is not all the doing of "liberal ran organizations" as you put it. FYI, not all teachers in public schools are liberal.
I hardly view the issue, that is the subject of this post, on the same level as teaching children at all ages about harmful affects.
I am a parent and I have one Son who is about 5 years your senior. I'm not new at this.
Grouping all those who have liberal beliefs as bad and considering all those with conservative beliefs and good, or vice versa, is very short sighted. You really can't judge the caliber of a person based on his/her politics or religion.
Think about it.

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Just spoke to the teacher:
She had a sit-down group discussion about the shootings which was initiated by her. It was not brought up by a student. Teacher said she felt an obligation to have the kids talk about it so she arranged this circle and they had a group discussion. She said that in retrospect that she would have not gave the kids so many details and that she actually lost some sleep over it that night. She seemed very concerned about it and felt that, looking back, it could have been handled differently.
I was very polite and sympathetic to her position and we had a very civil conversation. I feel a lot better now. I hope that she remembers our conversation next time she is in a similar teaching situation.

Jesster
04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
You will be happy to know that my wife is a teacher and is not a liberal.:D
Mine too and about as far from liberal as you can get.

bignet
04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
U are definately the parent that thinks "my kid would never do that". As a teacher I hate parents like u....Would you rather your 1st grader hear about shit from their teacher who can explain things or from the 3rd grader who will tell him graffically WTF is going on...pull your head out of the sand doggy! By the way, we'll be telling him about the birds and bees too! :D
God I wish I had better videos!
:devil:
bignet

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
U are definately the parent that thinks "my kid would never do that". As a teacher I hate parents like u....Would you rather your 1st grader hear about shit from their teacher who can explain things or from the 3rd grader who will tell him graffically WTF is going on...pull your head out of the sand doggy! By the way, we'll be telling him about the birds and bees too! :D
bignet
why would you hate a concerned parent.. is or should it be your right to bring something like this up to a 5 year old. I think not. I do not feel he thinks his kid can do no wrong.. you are assuming and you know what that means . :rolleyes:

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
bignet
The fact that you are a teacher scares me. This comment is brilliant. It just proves my point that you guys get off on your power trip and think you know more about parenting than parents. Thanks for the help.:rolleyes:

uvindex
04-18-2007, 06:40 PM
U are definately the parent that thinks "my kid would never do that". As a teacher I hate parents like u....Would you rather your 1st grader hear about shit from their teacher who can explain things or from the 3rd grader who will tell him graffically WTF is going on...pull your head out of the sand doggy! By the way, we'll be telling him about the birds and bees too! :D You're not really a teacher are you? (Or is this a joke and I'm missing it?)

bignet
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
The fact that you are a teacher scares me. This comment is brilliant. It just proves my point that you guys get off on your power trip and think you know more about parenting than parents. Thanks for the help.:rolleyes:
No problem....:devil:

bignet
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
You're not really a teacher are you? (Or is this a joke and I'm missing it?)
Well I am definately not the teacher u are invisioning. I guess I did react too quickly to the original post, and for that I do apologize, but it is frustrating when parents like him can vent on us, and we have to just sit and smile. (After reading more of this thread, Outnumbered realized he jumped to soon...my bat.) However, if parents would understand that as teachers we ARE advocates for your children and are on your side, than we wouldn't see a lot of the issues parents have towards teachers. Believe me, you have no idea what we have to put up with in and outside the classroom. "Lil Johnny is NEVER at fault" :rolleyes:
bignet

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Well I am definately not the teacher u are invisioning. I guess I did react too quickly to the original post, and for that I do apologize, but it is frustrating when parents like him can vent on us, and we have to just sit and smile. (After reading more of this thread, Outnumbered realized he jumped to soon...my bat.) However, if parents would understand that as teachers we ARE advocates for your children and are on your side, than we wouldn't see a lot of the issues parents have towards teachers. Believe me, you have no idea what we have to put up with in and outside the classroom. "Lil Johnny is NEVER at fault" :rolleyes:
bignet
see what you are failing to realize is this was not the teachers decision whether these 5-6 years old could , or should here this.. that is the choice of the parent. also another thing.. not all parents think their kid can do no wrong.. on this day the teacher was wrong.. it was not a smart decision and he took care of it and asked her about it.. taken care of.. But I am sure she will not see the last of this concerned father.for his kids sake.. he is protecting her from things her ears do not need to hear about. at her age.. :)

uvindex
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
bignetI was referring to the form, not content, of your post (for example, "u" instead of "you," "graffically", "definately.") I'm not trying to be a jerk, just think teachers should be role models when it comes to spelling and grammar. :)

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
bignet
Maybe you should read a little more. This has nothing to do with my kid getting in trouble. I don't know where you got that out of the thread.
Furthermore, the teacher confirmed what my daughter told me and admitted that the kids did not bring it up. THE TEACHER STARTED A GROUP DISCUSSION AND TOLD THEM THAT A BAD MAN SHOT AND KILLED A BUNCH OF KIDS IN A SCHOOL IN VIRGINIA. WTF she was thinking is beyond me. These are FIRST GRADERS.:eek:

Cs19
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I like that knuckleheads comment on page 1.... "Teachers are just test giving babysitters"..NICE.:rolleyes:
My hat is off to our school teachers, its a tough job...Dealing with these nightmare parents has got to be one of the biggest headaches ever.

Brian
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I like that knuckleheads comment on page 1.... "Teachers are just test giving babysitters"..NICE.:rolleyes:
My hat is off to our school teachers, its a tough job...Dealing with these nightmare parents has got to be one of the biggest headaches ever.
:D

Burn504
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
sorry if that offends you, but a huge majority of teachers couldnt even teach the subject without their teacher version of the subject.
Maybe it has been a while since you were in school, but it wasnt that long ago for me. I sailed through school. It is/was a joke.
babysitting is what 80% of the day is... watching them to make sure they dont get in trouble.
Again sorry if that offends you, but thats how i feel.
And again. I think a good solution is to start paying teachers a larger salary and offering incentives to study to become a teacher. It would increase the pool of available teachers and hopefully with good hiring the bad ones wouldnt have jobs.
I had teachers that were drunks..druggies..openly gay...openly politically opinionated.. you name it..... test giving babysitters. :)

YeLLowBoaT
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I had teachers that were drunks..druggies..openly gay...openly politically opinionated.. you name it...
and thats diffrent from any other occupations how?
if you think there is a prob with teachers... why don't you stop complaining about it on the internet and get off your ass and do something to make it cahnge.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
and thats diffrent from any other occupations how?
if you think there is a prob with teachers... why don't you stop complaining about it on the internet and get off your ass and do something to make it cahnge.
agreed.. or maybe he should become one.

SHOTKALLIN
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Get a parent teacher confrence and show up wearing a shirt that says "guns don't kill people. People kill people.":D

Brian
04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
So you think it is OK to give condoms to school kids without the parent's knowing? How about showing Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth movie to students without parental consent?
How do I have issues if I just expect teachers to teach math, science, English, etc? If these were 6th graders covering current events that is one thing but these kids are in 1st grade.
Ok, I was just going to leave it alone with your first reply, but since you posted another and seem to be asking for a retort, here ya go.
Your first post was dealing with young 1st graders, and I actuallly agree that kind of topic shouldn't be brought up. If a student asks about it, the teacher will need to deal with it, but hopefully in a delicate manner that's not too detailed or shocking, and doesn't go into personal opinion. It sounds like your particular teacher needs to tone it down a little.
Next you started talking about condoms, religion, global warming, and multi cultures. I assume you've moved on from the first graders and are now referring to things one might encounter closer to high school age:
My thoughts:
Sex ed - been in school curiculum for a long time. I had it in high school 25+ years ago, didn't hurt anything. Actually answered some questions I had at the time and maybe helped me be more informed and careful in my choices that I made. It sure as hell didn't make me run out, have sex, and become some sort of sinner. Hormones were more than enough to do that all by themselves. Education and knowledge is a good thing. Ignorance is bad.
Birth control/condoms - If a kid is going to be sexually active, face it, there's not much the parent is going to do about it. You can teach morals, smart choices, etc, until you're blue in the face. At some point in life, hormones will take over, and again, education is a good thing. Hopefully that time is after the child is an adult and is old enough to act responsibly. I will certainly teach my chilldren this to the best of my ability. However, if they make a different choice (against my wishes), I sure hope there's a condom around. The alternatives are much, much worse.
Global warming/environmentalism - wake up, it's real. We're f'ing up this planet in a hurry. We are all responsible and need to be willing to do something about it. Again, education is good.
Religion in schools - has no place IMO. Your religion is not the only religion and should not be forced upon other's children at an early age when they are impressionable and unable to evaluate and decide for themselves. Basically, keep your religion off my kids, because I want them to be free to find their own way without you, me, or anyone else telling them how to believe. Instilling the fear of God at a young age is the most powerful recruiting tool that religions have, and IMO they exploit this power in a reckless and irresponsible way.
Multi-culturalism - I'm not totally sure what you meant by this. Anyway, we have a lot of different cultural influences in this country. You can stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away, or you can be aware and combine the best influences to strengthen the ultimate goal of a common "American" culture that is not divided, yet at the same time allows for people of different backgrounds to flourish and retain some sense of their history. This is a really complex problem and one that needs to be fixed before this country explodes.
There, see, I have issues too!

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Next you started talking about condoms, religion, global warming, and multi cultures. I assume you've moved on from the first graders and are now referring to things one might encounter closer to high school age:
Don't be so sure....
Jericho Elementary School third-grade teacher Sharyl Green said she anticipated controversy when she began discussion of “what an erratic climate pattern this is,” she said. So she wrote to parents to explain her intention — to educate, not alarm. And she’s been successful, she said.
“They are eating it up,” Green said of her students. “They are very in touch with it. I don’t think they feel saddened or distracted by it. Most are hungry for information. I don’t think that they feel responsible for it; they understand we need to change habits.”
Students put on a global warming play Thursday.
Green said she will show some clips from “An Inconvenient Truth,” that focus on climate change, not Gore.

Kilrtoy
04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
How dare this teacher say anything like that to these virgin ears CHILDREN.
It's not like they talk about fuc king eaching other in the ass and actually do it and talk about sex all day long and cussing at each other with worse mouths than I have ever used. I mean come on she is trying to explain the evils of the world most parents are scare to share with their kids.
WHAT A BITCH TEACHER
LETS GET A ROPE AND HANG HER, YOU WITH ME YELLOW BOAT

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 11:48 PM
How dare this teacher say anything like that to these virgin ears CHILDREN.
It's not like they talk about fuc king eaching other in the ass and actually do it and talk about sex all day long and cussing at each other with worse mouths than I have ever used. I mean come on she is trying to explain the evils of the world most parents are scare to share with their kids.
WHAT A BITCH TEACHER
LETS GET A ROPE AND HANG HER, YOU WITH ME YELLOW BOAT
First grade Kilr, not 6th. You know, 1 year out of Kindergarten.:rolleyes: Our kids know about drugs, strangers that may want to kidnap them, and that there are some bad people out there. But I don't need my first grader's teacher giving them the 11 o'clock news version of the story.
Man, with some of the shit I have read on this thread it is no wonder kids are so f ucked up today.

Kilrtoy
04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
First grade Kilr, not 6th. You know, 1 year out of Kindergarten.:rolleyes: Our kids know about drugs, strangers that may want to kidnap them, and that there are some bad people out there. But I don't need my first grader's teacher giving them the 11 o'clock news version of the story.
Man, with some of the shit I have read on this thread it is no wonder kids are so f ucked up today.
First garde, I thought your kid was in pre school....
now a days teachers have the job of parent, teacher, life leader, parent, guidance counselor, parent, health care provider, parent, sex ed teacher, parent. It is no wonder they get confused once in awhile....

Outnumbered
04-18-2007, 11:58 PM
First garde, I thought your kid was in pre school....
now a days teachers have the job of parent, teacher, life leader, parent, guidance counselor, parent, health care provider, parent, sex ed teacher, parent. It is no wonder they get confused once in awhile....
Well maybe for some but I don't live too large just so my wife can stay home and raise our kids. I know a lot of people that are so caught up in buying a new Escalade, boat, house, whatever, that they don't even realize that they are f ucking up their kids by both working and letting the nanny and teachers parent the kids. Both parents working to get by is one thing but just so you can buy bling is selfish.

Kilrtoy
04-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Well maybe for some but I don't live too large just so my wife can stay home and raise our kids. I know a lot of people that are so caught up in buying a new Escalade, boat, house, whatever, that they don't even realize that they are f ucking up their kids by both working and letting the nanny and teachers parent the kids. Both parents working to get by is one thing but just so you can buy bling is selfish.
Actually those are the parents that spend time with there kids.
It all the other ones that don't.
guess you missed my point.
being a teacher is a tuff job, especially being a parent to 35 different NEW children every NINE months