PDA

View Full Version : Lifeline Jacket Questions. ??????

beaverretriever
04-17-2007, 10:06 PM
First off. Why are they so expensive? The Standard vest is over 450.00 MSRP!
What is different about these than a regular ski/wakeboard life jacket? Basically, what is so special about these vest?
At what speeds do you recommend wearing a jacket?
Our next boat will be a 100mph+ boat and I would like to know more about these vest. I want to make sure we are as safe as possible when doing the occasional speed run.
Thanks in advance.

Kindsvater Flat
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Why are they so expensive? I want to make sure we are as safe as possible when doing the occasional speed run.
Thanks in advance.
You answered your own question.

Kilrtoy
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
There called lifeline for a reason.
or it should maybe be find the body line

John.
04-17-2007, 10:47 PM
our jackets were pretty pricey. I can tell you though, if they ever touch water then they were worth the $500 each. my wife and I have made a comittment to each other that we will wear vests anytime we're taking the boat on plane. so if we're going over 20 mph, then we put on vests. besides, for what they cost we should be seen wearing them. for $the cost, its pretty cheap life insurance...with better benefits than normal life insurance. I'd rather live. I never want to get in a wreck, but if I ever am, I want to be wearing my nut hugging life vest.

dmontzsta
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Is it really that expensive?
Think about the fine line between living and dying. If you crashed and died, you would think "Shit $500 is nothing, I was an idiot, I could be alive right now". :) It is a HUGE piece of mind, like having air bags in your car.
Basically, Lifeline has been around forever and they are proven. Look at every racer, they are wearing a Lifeline jacket for a reason. When you are good, you can charge.
That is a small price to pay! I am sure you are paying much more than that to go 100+.
I have a brand new chute jacket for when my boat is ready, I will also be buying one for my passengers when the time comes.

WILDERTHANU
04-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Their prices are not really that bad, I've spent a lot more on worthless crap. They are great people and would be happy to help you and answer any questions!! www.lifelinejackets.com
First off. Why are they so expensive? The Standard vest is over 450.00 MSRP!
What is different about these than a regular ski/wakeboard life jacket? Basically, what is so special about these vest?
Can your ski vest do this??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS4-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS5-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/61SS6-med.jpg

cruser
04-17-2007, 11:51 PM
don't forget your helmet and skid pants. Also, Lifeline isn't the only game in town. SRP also makes a nice product and has been around for a long time also. Their prices aren't that much different though.

Havasu Hangin'
04-18-2007, 03:52 AM
I don't think Lifelines are Coast Guard certified...so you'll have to carry another (certified) set to meet requirements.

Jbb
04-18-2007, 04:20 AM
I don't think Lifelines are Coast Guard certified...so you'll have to carry another (certified) set to meet requirements.
Why is that?

Havasu Hangin'
04-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Why is that?
I heard something about "red tape"...but who knows.

AZJD
04-18-2007, 05:33 AM
I heard something about "red tape"...but who knows.
You are always so diplomatic.:D

Havasu Hangin'
04-18-2007, 05:51 AM
You are always so diplomatic.:D
Yeah, that's me...Captain of the "Political Correctness Debate Team"...lol.

Flashwave
04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Go here and you'll see why Lifeline's are so good.
http://f148.com/movies/jimgetstossedsm.mov

superdave013
04-18-2007, 06:48 AM
I had a ski jacket ripped almost completely off my body once. And I was not going close to 100. Maybe 80 or so.
I thought about that when I forked over around $800 for my Lifelinechute jacket.

Jordy
04-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Why is that?
They've never been put through the tests to get Coast Guard certification, but the $5 orange square ones have, doesn't that make ya feel better??? Boatcop has addressed this a few times on here and said that many LEO's will recognize that the Lifeline is far superior, even without the CG cert, and not write you, but if you've got room, you might want to think about getting some that are certified just in case. ;)
This thread cracks me up though. What's your life worth??? More than a $30 ski vest??? I know mine is. Same deal with motorcycle helmets. $50 head=$50 bucket. ;) :D

beaverretriever
04-18-2007, 07:13 AM
This thread cracks me up though. What's your life worth??? More than a $30 ski vest??? I know mine is. Same deal with motorcycle helmets. $50 head=$50 bucket. ;) :D
I understand what everyone is saying, but nobody answered my question. What do these vest do that others don't? Are they more secure, and stay on the body better durring a crash?
And about the price? I was just wondering what makes them so expensive? The price wouldn't keep me from buying them; I just can't figure out the reason they cost so much? Are the materials they are made out of expensive, is the manufacturing process time consuming? Just curious.
It has nothing to do if they will save your life or not; I kind of gathered that they will because I hear about them all the time.:)
Thanks for all the replies.

superdave013
04-18-2007, 07:39 AM
well like I said, I had a ski jacket almost tore off my body. 3 of the 4 plactic buckles broke and one shoulder ripped. Just the little strap at the very top was left.
Why are do they cost so much? Well for one they are not mass produced over seas like all the others. They sell in low volume. They use the best materials. You will see a difference. And at that point you might as well pony up a little extra and have them make them to match your boat.
But hey, you can go to a bass pro shop and pick up a jacket for less that still have a high speed rating. It will even have pockets all over it.

superdave013
04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
It has nothing to do if they will save your life or not; I kind of gathered that they will because I hear about them all the time.:)
They might not save your life but you will be found floating with your head out of the water. Have you ever seen someone knocked out in the water with a ski jacket? I have more then once. Every time they were floating with their face down in the water.

Jordy
04-18-2007, 07:49 AM
I understand what everyone is saying, but nobody answered my question. What do these vest do that others don't? Are they more secure, and stay on the body better durring a crash?
Mine zip up in the front, then have a strap and d-ring at the bottom to secure the bottom, as well as another strap and buckle in the midsection. Then there are the leg straps that make it more difficult for the vest to be stripped off you in the event you come out of the boat. Couple that with what SD pointed out in regards to the vest floating you face up, and it's hard to argue with. ;)

Racer277
04-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Lifeline is at most of the races to support their product.
That kind of support costs money.I understand what everyone is saying, but nobody answered my question. What do these vest do that others don't? Are they more secure, and stay on the body better durring a crash?
And about the price? I was just wondering what makes them so expensive? The price wouldn't keep me from buying them; I just can't figure out the reason they cost so much? Are the materials they are made out of expensive, is the manufacturing process time consuming? Just curious.

beaverretriever
04-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Superdave and Jordy, those were the answers I was looking for. Thanks :)
Lifelines site looks like it is from 1978; so the photos are not that great and they reall don't seem to go into detail why they are so good.

Flashwave
04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
What do these vest do that others don't? Are they more secure, and stay on the body better durring a crash?
And about the price? I was just wondering what makes them so expensive?
Low volume and high insurance cost make them expensive. They don't rip off in a crash like ski vests do provided you have the nut crackers strapped on and that little strap at the bottom of the jacket tied off. They will absorb a frontal impact if you stuff at high speed. They will definitely raise you to the surface and flip you right side up because all of the flotation is in the front. The collar will help support your head if your laying in the water. These are the differences between a ski vest and a Lifeline race vest.
J

superdave013
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking he's looking at the Poker run style jacket over the full whammy dealieos.

2Driver
04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Personally I would call them.
I am guessing it is for the following.
. Cost and quality of the material
. Complexity of the manufacturing / sewing by hand I assume
. Cost of the labor to assemble (Made in USA?)
. Not a mass market or high sales volume product
I buy the best of the ski vests at over $100 but I wouldn’t trust it if I was going in over 50MPH or planning on being in the water for long, pass out or not. Ever used your ski vest to float in for a while? Doesn't take long before it is water logged, plus the plastic buckels, lack of neck support, basic thread sewing etc...

Jordy
04-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking he's looking at the Poker run style jacket over the full whammy dealieos.
That's what I picked up SD, and they've still got the leg straps, not the big bands like the race vests, but they're pretty substantial straps none the less, as well as the floatation, the heavy duty zipper and straps/buckles to secure the front opening. ;)

DAVEO
04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Ok ski vests are rated at a max speed of 50 mph The life line is rated at 100+ mph I think it 150mph. well thats one thing. # 2 is the zipper front and the d ring, leg strapps.

superdave013
04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
That's what I picked up SD, and they've still got the leg straps, not the big bands like the race vests, but they're pretty substantial straps none the less, as well as the floatation, the heavy duty zipper and straps/buckles to secure the front opening. ;)
Yeah, I have seen them. They are really nice. I don't think it's that much more to have them made to match your boat too.
Heck, they are right there in Parker. Next time you go to Havasu run down there and check 'em out.

beaverretriever
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Cool, thanks for all the help.
I will pick up two before we get the new boat. Pretty sure the new boat will be all white, so I don't think I will match the vest :D

Jordy
04-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Heck, they are right there in Parker. Next time you go to Havasu run down there and check 'em out.
Hell, I have to drive right by them going through Parker to get to Havi, and as was mentioned, they're out there with the big trailer and lots of gear at pretty much every race. Really cool people to deal with too!!! I tried vests on at Firebird to get my size and then ordered them, before the poker run last year, and was told it would likely be 3 weeks before I saw them. About 3 days later the UPS truck was out in front of the house dropping them off. :D

Phat Matt
04-18-2007, 09:49 AM
How come ski vests don't get ripped off slalom skiers or the barefoot guys? They get going pretty fast don't they?

Jordy
04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
How come ski vests don't get ripped off slalom skiers or the barefoot guys? They get going pretty fast don't they?
I think most the guys that are skiing "fast" and not ski racing are running in the neighborhood of 35-45 mph. ;)

seanv
04-18-2007, 10:14 AM
low 30's for skiing.
i need to shell out and get a couple for my boat. really dont want to buy the second until i know who she is:D :D
jordy, did they have denim?

Jordy
04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
i need to shell out and get a couple for my boat. really dont want to buy the second until i know who she is:D :D
jordy, did they have denim?
I think the junior sizes are pretty adjustable. I don't know about denim, but they do custom make them, so I'm sure they could help you out there somehow. :D :D :D

Phat Matt
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
I think most the guys that are skiing "fast" and not ski racing are running in the neighborhood of 35-45 mph. ;)
That is why I said SLALOM. The boat itself is probably going 35mph but the skier is going a lot faster.

seanv
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I think the junior sizes are pretty adjustable. I don't know about denim, but they do custom make them, so I'm sure they could help you out there somehow. :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D

Jordy
04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
That is why I said SLALOM. The boat itself is probably going 35mph but the skier is going a lot faster.
True, but still probably not much over 50, if that fast on a carved turn, and certainly not into the 60+ mph range. :)
And you also mentioned barefoot guys, so my answer stands!!! :D :D :D

Boatcop
04-18-2007, 11:35 AM
In order to obatain Coast Guard Approval to be accepted as required Safety Equipment on Recreational boats, PFDs need to meet certain standards. Among those are:
Ease of donning (putting them on)
Resistance to fuels and oils (from storage)
Resistance to Ozone
Resistance to sunlight
Flammability
Floatation
and a few more.
Lifeline and other vests don't meet some of those requirements, mainly the ease of donning.
Lifeline doesn't market their race vests to the recreational boater. They market and sell them to racers, who will be wearing them and caring for them. They will not be left in the storage compartment of the boat, like most PFDs are, so those other requirements aren't necessary.
In order to get a PFD "Approved" a company has to submit every design and run of a PFD for testing by UL, and others. That testing is paid for by the company and can cost $100 Thousand Dollars a pop.
Lifeline doesn't see the benefit to spending that kind of money, and having to "dumb down" their product. At least as far as their competition vests are concerned. I think they do have an approved vest, but it's not as effective as their full race models.
As Jordy said I* will accept Lifeline un-approved vests, but only if they are worn. You can't get one of those things on properly in a hurry, which is the intent of having PFDs in the first place.
*Now that's just me. I can't speak for any other Officer or Agency.

dmontzsta
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Hell, I have to drive right by them going through Parker to get to Havi, and as was mentioned, they're out there with the big trailer and lots of gear at pretty much every race. Really cool people to deal with too!!! I tried vests on at Firebird to get my size and then ordered them, before the poker run last year, and was told it would likely be 3 weeks before I saw them. About 3 days later the UPS truck was out in front of the house dropping them off. :D
Did you have to use their zipper extenders? :D

deltarat
04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
OK the way it was explained to me is that when a conventional ski vest is striped off of you body at 80 to 100mph the damage that it causes to you neck and back muscles is tremendous. Imagine being tossed from a boat at that rate of speed and losing the ski vest that you had put on earlier in the day. If you are lucky enough to still be alive you will be going “damn I got lucky” and then you are going to realize you are drowning because you can’t move you arms to tread water while waiting for help to arrive. Sounds like a real good reason to spend some money and make sure everyone in your boat has a Life Line to wear.

Jordy
04-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Did you have to use their zipper extenders? :D
Nope, and I'm just in a large vest. My guess is my waist is right about the same size as the headband in your Lakers/Raiders hat. ;)
Besides, don't you have some kind of Klan rally to go organize or something??? :D :D :D

dmontzsta
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Nope, and I'm just in a large vest. My guess is my waist is right about the same size as the headband in your Lakers/Raiders hat. ;)
Besides, don't you have some kind of Klan rally to go organize or something??? :D :D :D
Why? do you want to join? :)

gmocnik
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
not a lifeline but cg approved and 100 mph rated....
http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Stearns_SAR_Vest.html

Jordy
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Why? do you want to join? :)
That's all ya got??? Damn... :notam:
So you're wearing red, does that make you the grand wizard??? :D :D :D
http://entimg.msn.com/i/ComicSciFi/MarsAttacks_300x298.jpg
not a lifeline but cg approved and 100 mph rated....
http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Stearns_SAR_Vest.html
Hey, those fleece lined hand warming pockets will come in handy in Havasu in June!!! :D :D :D

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
One of my favorite movies.
http://entimg.msn.com/i/ComicSciFi/MarsAttacks_300x298.jpg

Flashwave
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
The Poker Run vest are good for one thing at high speeds provided you have the nut crackers hooked on. The jacket won't get torn off if you go in the water. This gives the rescue guys and others a chance to pull your wet butt out. It hurts slamming into water at speed. You can get the wind knocked out of you. Really sucks when your gasping for air and sucking in water. The jacket will bring you to the surface.

Phat Matt
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
True, but still probably not much over 50, if that fast on a carved turn, and certainly not into the 60+ mph range. :)
And you also mentioned barefoot guys, so my answer stands!!! :D :D :D
Ok. Here's my barefoot guys justification. :) What about the barefoot guys who start from a dead stop in the water? They are like a torpedo in the water, pushing water until they are going fast enough to skip across the water. The vest stays on. :D

Summer LuvN
04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Is it really that expensive?
Think about the fine line between living and dying. If you crashed and died, you would think "Shit $500 is nothing, I was an idiot, I could be alive right now". :) It is a HUGE piece of mind, like having air bags in your car.
Basically, Lifeline has been around forever and they are proven. Look at every racer, they are wearing a Lifeline jacket for a reason. When you are good, you can charge.
That is a small price to pay! I am sure you are paying much more than that to go 100+.
I have a brand new chute jacket for when my boat is ready, I will also be buying one for my passengers when the time comes.
My hubby is building a motor for over 100+. 25 daytona... At what speeds should you be wearing them? Do they put you face up?

Summer LuvN
04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Bet boat cop recommends putting your life jacket on from the time you board your boat until the time you get off your boat.
P.S. remember when Lyn Sue Cooney's husband's buddy fell off the front of his boat !!!!! he drowned......
For some reason I don't get the impression life jackets are at the top of the list. I really had to whine for the pull down ladder off the swim step.. that was only 150. Life jackets at 500 each, I know he would rather have another part for the engine...LOL I think we will have to take our chances with just a regular life vest.

Jordy
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM
For some reason I don't get the impression life jackets are at the top of the list. I really had to whine for the pull down ladder off the swim step.. that was only 150. Life jackets at 500 each, I know he would rather have another part for the engine...LOL I think we will have to take our chances with just a regular life vest.
I guess everyone has to have their priorities. :notam:

Boatcop
04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Bet boat cop recommends putting your life jacket on from the time you board your boat until the time you get off your boat.
P.S. remember when Lyn Sue Cooney's husband's buddy fell off the front of his boat !!!!! he drowned......
Not necessarily. It's true that I've never pulled a drowned person out of the water in a PFD, but I still believe in personal choice. As long as it's an informed choice.
High speed. 60+ Definitely life jacket time. Poker runs. Speed trials (HTM & Castaic sound familiar), boat tests. etc.
Children-Always.
Non-swimmers (or poor swimmers) Always.
Bad weather. Put 'em on.
Off shore. Sea state 3+, Good idea.
But just casual cruising? Let the individual decide. I don't wear one when I'm out in my own boat, but while working it's on before I hit the dock. The new inflatables are comfortable, light weight and the ones we have inflate automatically when submerged.
But I do make sure that everyone on my boat knows where the PFDs are and how to put them on. And they are always within easy reach.
Also a good idea for the drunks on your boat. Alcohol makes people do stupid things (like I need to tell enyone HERE that :D ). They sometimes stumble over the side or even jump off. Alcohol affects the equilibrium, and a person impaired by alcohol cannot tell up from down while submerged. We get many cases where a drunk person, even a good swimmer, jumps in the water and doesn't surface for a couple of weeks.
There would be over 500 people (just last year) still walking the earth instead of being covered by it, if only they had worn a PFD.
Just some food for thought.