PDA

View Full Version : Trim plates

sgdiv7
10-15-2001, 01:09 PM
I made a change to the propshaft length (Shorten it 3/8")now under hard acceleration back of boat moves to the right which makes the boat go left. Boat is a runner bottom with a 11 1/2 x 16 pitch prop. Plates are set neutral. boat comes out of the hole straight as soon as it sets is when it starts. I can compensate for it by turning the wheel to the right but I know that can't be Right. Im looking for suggestions. Can you just angle the center plate?
Bill

10-15-2001, 08:43 PM
Bill, My boat [Hondo flat] will pull to the left when I'm hard on the plate at full throttle, feels like a bit of prop walk. If I get off the plate the boat will straighten out. Are you sure your plate isn't sucking down some? What are you running for a plate return spring? You might want to try some more plate adjustments before you mess with the shaft length. Try about a half a turn up on the center plate and run it again. Do the easy stuff first.

pgf127rt
10-26-2001, 05:53 PM
I made a change to the propshaft length (Shorten it 3/8")now under hard acceleration back of boat moves to the right which makes the boat go left. Boat is a runner bottom with a 11 1/2 x 16 pitch prop. Plates are set neutral. boat comes out of the hole straight as soon as it sets is when it starts. I can compensate for it by turning the wheel to the right but I know that can't be Right. Im looking for suggestions. Can you just angle the center plate?
Bill
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
My first question would be, why so much off the propshaft all at once, in my experience with flats the most I would take of is a nickel at a time, your problem is probably due to the prop being too far under the boat, add a few nickels to the coupler and see if it doesn't get better. All of the plates need to be set at the same height in relation to the bottom of the hull, on my pgf the up number was 1/4 inch. Hope this helps.
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited October 26, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited October 26, 2001).]

PGF545
10-27-2001, 01:40 PM
I agree with 127...I think that the prop is too far up under the boat. Moving it 2 nickels will move it back about 1/4 of an inch. It sounds like the boat is getting up on the prop and moving the rear around. I acually like it when it moves a little for racing but a lake boat might be a little scarry...lol. Goodluck with it.