PDA

View Full Version : Boat Crash off Newport Jetty

hotlavey
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Anyone have any info on the boat that hit the jetty today at a high rate of speed(According to Channel 7)? They said maybe a single driver and his/her dog. Helicopter coverage was brief but the boat was in a thousand pieces and looked like what was left of a cat type hull.

Mrs.Racer277
04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Hope everyone is OK :(

hotlavey
04-18-2007, 06:01 PM
No body found yet.

Pheelin Phroggy
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
damn.... doesn't sound good, tried to catch some info on it.... but could not find any

Havasu Carrera
04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
It looked like about a 26 foot cabin fisher deal.

Patyacht
04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Isn't there a boat show going on there now: http://www.newportinwaterboatshow.com/
Wonder if it was on a demo????

TCHB
04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
My wife said she could see all the rescue going on this afternoon. It was heavy surf.

Mrs.Racer277
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
My wife said she could see all the rescue going on this afternoon. It was heavy surf.
Just talked to my sis who runs a business on the island...She can not believe someone would be out there today becuz of the wind. :)

DeltaSigBoater
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Isn't there a boat show going on there now: http://www.newportinwaterboatshow.com/
Wonder if it was on a demo????
They don't do demos at the show for 2 reasons.
1. It takes a good 35-40 minutes to go from Lido Marina Village to the end of the Newport Jetty. Then another 35-40 minutes back.
2. Duncan McIntosh Company, producers of the show dont want to carry the extra insurance to allow demos.
As far as it being a demo/seatrial not associated with the show is a possibiality.

Boatcop
04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Was a blow-bote.
Sailboat hits Newport jetty, sinks
Boater called to report another boat in trouble; search is on for survivors of crash.
By KIMBERLY EDDS and GARY ROBBINS
The Orange County Register
NEWPORT BEACH – As many as three people may have been tossed into the water when a boat crashed into the rocks near the entrance to Newport Harbor Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
A boater called emergency dispatchers about 3:45 p.m. to report that a boat was having trouble making a turn, Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino said. There was a crash and debris scattered across the water, Amormino said.
No one emerged from the boat, Amormino said, and the search is on for survivors.
The sailboat struck the rocks during a fierce windstorm that arose early Wednesday afternoon. Winds gusted more than 35 mph in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, the National Weather Service reported.
The winds began in the morning, leading to a small craft advisory from the NWS. Then the winds grew more powerful in the afternoon, whipping up clouds of sand and dust in coastal areas.
The winds also churned up the ocean's surface, making it harder to search for survivors. And ocean temperatures were in the upper 50s and low 60s along most of the coast, compounding the situation.
Contact the writer: 714-796-7829 or kedds@ocregister.com

LHC30Victory
04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I was listening to CH 83 VHF earlier this afternoon and the USCG was telling the Helo that reports had the ship under full main sail without anyone at the helm. They surmised that the crew was in the water before it hit the rocks...
Just guesswork I know but this is ***boat isn't it? :rolleyes:

Cs19
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I was up on the bluff in CDM watching the sunset and they still had not recovered anything, lots of news vans and one coast guard boat cruisin around a little bit north of wedge. The west wind was serious, no reason to be boating out there today.I seriously doubt it was a cat, the majoity of boats in newps are sailboats, yachts and sport fishing boats.

rrrr
04-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I was listening to CH 83 VHF earlier this afternoon and the USCG was telling the Helo that reports had the ship under full main sail without anyone at the helm. They surmised that the crew was in the water before it hit the rocks...
Just guesswork I know but this is ***boat isn't it? :rolleyes:
I know people that own sailbotes are kinda stupid (:D), but going out in a 35 MPH breeze and throwing out all of the canvas isn't the brightest thing to do....:rolleyes:

dirty old man
04-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Was it a hi speed sailboat?

Big Warlock
04-19-2007, 01:15 PM
What kind of graphics were on the side??? :D

Big Warlock
04-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I think this was a subject of another thread: What to do in bad weather? Park the boat!!
Cetainly not have all the canvas up. Maybe take it down and run the engine? Or, if no engine, run the jib by itself and......if thinking....call vessel assist to get a tow into the harbor.

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
This morning on the news they said they think the boat blew away from it's mooring and nobody was ever on it.
RTJas :D

barbigrl
04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
That sucks!! The winds were very bad and the ocean was nothing but white caps yesterday!!

boatsnblondes
04-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Probably some UCLA guy, thought he was king of the world after the USC game at the Rose bowl..tha'l teach 'em.....

phebus
04-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Later? :D

trailerpark_tj
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Some dude from Phoenix in a sailboat...that explains everything:D
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1662535.php

AZKC
04-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Jordy was getting a sailboat:eek: But it doesn't look like him.
Hope they find the guy not lookin good though :(