PDA

View Full Version : Who here does there own service

cc322
04-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Who here does there own service on there boats? Im not talking pulling the out drive but merely changing the engine oil, filter, outdrive fluid, fuel seperator and maybe the impeller.

Phat Matt
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I did on my Commander. It's really quite easy.
The Eticket is kind of a bitch to work on space wise with the two engines. :)

djunkie
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I do. :D

bead
04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Every Season , Sometimes Twice

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I did all that stuff, and rebuilt the water pump. (http://rivertoys.com/waterpump/)
RTJas :D

Boozer
04-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I did all that stuff, and rebuilt the water pump. (http://rivertoys.com/waterpump/)
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Tom Brown
04-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I do my own oil changes. Sometimes I do it twice per weekend. :cool:

cc322
04-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok so what is the best way to change the oil? A hand pump suction device And when changing the outdrive oil is it best to have the drive all the way down to drain? I am going to try to do this in the next few weeks. I figured I just spent close to 1,000.00 on some new Dana tabs so I would like to save a buck on this years service. oh yeah I will be paying about 425.00 for the tabs to be installed.

Kindsvater Flat
04-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I do. It does get to be a pain flipping the motor over and over to get it to come back out the hole.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_motor2.jpg

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Ok so what is the best way to change the oil? A hand pump suction device And when changing the outdrive oil is it best to have the drive all the way down to drain? I am going to try to do this in the next few weeks. I figured I just spent close to 1,000.00 on some new Dana tabs so I would like to save a buck on this years service. oh yeah I will be paying about 425.00 for the tabs to be installed.
For engine oil....I have an old oil pump that I connect to a drill and suck the oil out the bottom drain line. I can drain all of it cold in a few minutes. If you let it gravity drain cold, you're looking at probably a day!
Drain the drive with it down. remove the lower screw behind the prop, careful not to lose the little gasket. Check the magnet on the screw for metal. The gear oil should be clean and green. I loosen the top cap on the engine end too, but I don't think you have to. Once it's drained, remove the side screw, again watch for the little gasket, and check the magnet. Pump the new gear oil slowly up the bottom drain hole, careful to keep air to a minimum. Once it starts coming out the mid-way screw hole, replace that screw. Then keep pumping slowly. Watch the reservoir on the engine. Go very slow and let it sit a little while once you start to see it in there. Once you're near the min. line, top it off from the top. Check it again after you run it a little while.
Hope that helps!

cdog
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I do mine. Oil change & drive oil. I keep an extra wp with me so I don't ruin my trip.:)

Phat Matt
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Is it a 496? If you can, warm it up. Pull the drain hose out of the plug and put it in a bucket. Unscrew it and take the filter off. Get rags for the filter or poke a hole it in to drain out. I was never in a hurry so I would just let in drain overnight in the garage and finish it the next day.

cc322
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
For engine oil....I have an old oil pump that I connect to a drill and suck the oil out the bottom drain line. I can drain all of it cold in a few minutes. If you let it gravity drain cold, you're looking at probably a day!
So do you enter through the dip stick for the removal of the oil?

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Is it a 496? If you can, warm it up. Pull the drain hose out of the plug and put it in a bucket. Unscrew it and take the filter off. Get rags for the filter or poke a hole it in to drain out. I was never in a hurry so I would just let in drain overnight in the garage and finish it the next day.
Yes 496 but this sounds messy why cant you use one of those suction pumps through the dip stick, wouldnt that be easier? hell with out looking at my motor I couldnt even tell you where the drain hose is:o

JB in so cal
04-19-2007, 06:05 PM
What? Are you new?
Your motor should have about a 3 foot long hose attached to the bottom of your pan. It's probably laying under your exhaust exits somewhere. Stream that hose out the drain plug and voila'...drained oil.

Phat Matt
04-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes 496 but this sounds messy why cant you use one of those suction pumps through the dip stick, wouldnt that be easier? hell with out looking at my motor I couldnt even tell you where the drain hose is:o
Sure you could go through the dip stick, you just don't have to. You 496 should have a quick drain hose connected on the bottom of the pan. It is usually connected to your drain plug. If you unscrew the drain plug and keep pulling the hose will come out of the hole. Unscrew the end of the hose and the oil will start coming out, slowly. :)

GRUNION
I do mine

RiverToysJas
Come to think of it, forget what I said.......you should just have a shop do it! ;)

Phat Matt
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Come to think of it, forget what I said.......you should just have a shop do it! ;)
LOL. :D

JB in so cal
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
CC's a little slow on the uptake, tonight. Stop at Santora's on the way home?:)

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:09 PM
What? Are you new?
Your motor should have about a 3 foot long hose attached to the bottom of your pan. It's probably laying under your exhaust exits somewhere. Stream that hose out the drain plug and voila'...drained oil.
Yep new to doing service on the boat, I cant even see the bilge area in my boat that good, it's pretty tight. I will look for the drain hose.

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Be nice Jason not yourself:D and dont listen to Kelly:eek: Ok I get it there is a drain line on the engine, just cant seem to remember seing anything like that before but then again I really have never looked.

Havasu Hangin'
04-19-2007, 06:14 PM
I do mine.
Gotta love taking out and putting in 24 quarts of Swepco oil in yer boat (at over $4/quart).

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
CC's a little slow on the uptake, tonight. Stop at Santora's on the way home?:)
Got my own Santoras going on at home tonight:D

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Yep new to doing service on the boat, I cant even see the bilge area in my boat that good, it's pretty tight. I will look for the drain hose.
Pssssttt........It's chained to the inside of the drain plug....outside the boat, in the back.....down low....brass looking thing with 4 sides. ;)

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Pssssttt........It's chained to the inside of the drain plug....outside the boat, in the back.....down low....brass looking thing with 4 sides. ;)
Pics please:D

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Will this work with an outboard? :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif Good question, I don't know, we only deal with Hot Boat's on this forum. I think the Bass Master's might have a forum that will answer your question though.

cc322
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
All kidding aside, Jason did you get the email about Lavey switching to a every other year regatta?

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 06:31 PM
All kidding aside, Jason did you get the email about Lavey switching to a every other year regatta?
Yeah, we got it. :(

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah we were bumbed as well, maybe it has something to do with sales as of late?
I'm sure $$$ savings plays into it. They also put in on themselves, so it's a lot of work for Shauna. They are probably glad for a break and to save some $$$.
There'll probably be something for us boat owners to do that weekend though... ;)

JB in so cal
04-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Pics please:D
Can you completely remove your plug? If it's kinda caught on something, just pull and eventually a black hose will emerge.
If there's nothing attached to your plug, GOOD HUNTING:)

RiverToysJas
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
.........And we're talking about the drain plug for the bilge on the outside of the boat!

DeltaSigBoater
04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Lube, Oil, & Filters once a year. Spark plugs every trip.

cc322
04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Can you completely remove your plug? If it's kinda caught on something, just pull and eventually a black hose will emerge.
If there's nothing attached to your plug, GOOD HUNTING:)
Yep I can completley pull the plug off with out anything attached from the inside.

Phat Matt
04-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Yep I can completley pull the plug off with out anything attached from the inside.
That sucks. Now you do have to start fishing for it. Once you get it out make sure you attach it to the back of the drain plug.

slingingsmoke
04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Who here does there own service on there boats? Im not talking pulling the out drive but merely changing the engine oil, filter, outdrive fluid, fuel seperator and maybe the impeller.
Every season....I'm Cheaper, and definitely more thorough:D

Brian
04-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I installed a ball valve on the oil pan drain fitting and then ran a -10 line to a s/s bulkhead fitting in the transom. Open the valve, take the cap off the fitting on the outside of the transom, and voila, oil on ground, er I mean in bucket...

cc322
04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
That sucks. Now you do have to start fishing for it. Once you get it out make sure you attach it to the back of the drain plug.
Finally its all making sense now, thanks again Phatty:D again no pun intended:)

OCMerrill
04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Once you get the hose out...there will be a plug in the end of it. :D
And if your real lucky some other jackass will have used vice grips to remove it...over and over.:mad: Now the plot thickens.
But...I bought my boat well used so I don't know where I should line up my pointing finger.:)