PDA

View Full Version : I have a dumb question.....

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-20-2007, 07:32 AM
whenever someone passes away, people always say "Godspeed".
What does that mean? :confused: :confused:

DILLIGAF
04-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Quickly to God

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
don't talk about me. LOL!!:D

TheCarDudes
04-20-2007, 07:36 AM
God·speed (g?d'sp?d')
n.
Success or good fortune.
[From Middle English God spede (you), may God prosper (you) : God, god; see god + spede, third person sing. present subjunctive of speden, to prosper (from Old English sp?dan, from sp?d, success; see speed).
Not exactly sure why they use it when someone dies other than wishing someone a better afterlife maybe?

racecar.hotshoe
04-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Take a ride on the reading.:D

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 07:38 AM
God·speed (g?d'sp?d')
n.
Success or good fortune.
[From Middle English God spede (you), may God prosper (you) : God, god; see god + spede, third person sing. present subjunctive of speden, to prosper (from Old English sp?dan, from sp?d, success; see speed).
Not exactly sure why they use it when someone dies other than wishing someone a better afterlife maybe?
Not a dumb question, I have always wondered too.....I thought it had something to do with Starwars.....:D

All-Star
04-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I always thought it meant something like "God quickly be with them at this tragic moment"......??????

BADBLOWN572
04-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I thought it had something to do with Starwars.....:D
To quote Carlos Mencia.... Duuunnnntttttt ddddaaaa ddaaaahhhhh :D

Mr. Crusader 83
04-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Didnt any of your teachers ever tell you. " The only dumb question is a question you dont ask ":D

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 07:47 AM
To quote Carlos Mencia.... Duuunnnntttttt ddddaaaa ddaaaahhhhh :D
Dont you mean DEE DEE DEE!!!!:D
Come on...you have to admit it would fit....lol

Mr. Crusader 83
04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Carlos is a rip off.:mad:

OutCole'd
04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for asking the question, I neven knew either.:confused:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-20-2007, 07:50 AM
don't talk about me. LOL!!:D
HAHA! you just reminded me that I wanted to know what it meant! ;)
FIL
:D

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Carlos is a rip off.:mad:
All comedians bite off each other. I went to his show and it was the funniest shit I have ever seen. I will go see it everytime he comes to town. I literally almost pissed my pants!:D

BADBLOWN572
04-20-2007, 07:56 AM
All comedians bite off each other. I went to his show and it was the funniest shit I have ever seen. I will go see it everytime he comes to town. I literally almost pissed my pants!:D
Me too. Saw him up in Hollywood. Definitely worth the trip! :)

OutCole'd
04-20-2007, 07:56 AM
That's because he only rips off the best material.

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 08:02 AM
They all do.

ratso
04-20-2007, 08:05 AM
...and does it better than who he rips it off from.;)

dmontzsta
04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Carlos Mencia is a fake, F that guy seriously!

Mr. Crusader 83
04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Thank You. i have seen Joe Rogan a couple times. To me he is one of the best. I love that video, Carlos was on stage and Joe got up there to punk him on stage. for stealing other peoples sh*t. Classic. :D

ratso
04-20-2007, 08:13 AM
You people have way too much time on your hands if you're going around following all these stand up comic routines to try and find out who is ripping off whose material lol... very funny... not as funny as Mencia, but funny nonetheless...:D
I mean seriously... would this be some form of splashing?:jawdrop:

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 08:15 AM
You people have way too much time on your hands if you're going around following all these stand up comic routines to try and find out who is ripping off whose material lol... very funny... not as funny as Mencia, but funny nonetheless...:D
I mean seriously... would this be some form of splashing?:jawdrop:
Haha...seriously....because every comic made up everthing they tell....they never got it from someone on the streets, another comic etc....:rolleyes: :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2007, 08:18 AM
HAHA! you just reminded me that I wanted to know what it meant! ;)
FIL
:D
LMAO!!:D

Mr. Crusader 83
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Haha...seriously....because every comic made up everthing they tell....they never got it from someone on the streets, another comic etc....:rolleyes: :D
No. But not every comic has been called out on stage infront of his fans for ripping sh*t off.

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
No. But not every comic has been called out on stage infront of his fans for ripping sh*t off.
Maybe Rogan is jealous because Mencia got his own show and blew up....and Rogan knows he can whoop the shit out of him so he called him out. Not many comics are tuff you know...:D Dont get me wrong I like Rogans show and have seen him @ the Laugh Factory, but every gets there material from somewhere.

OCMerrill
04-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Didnt any of your teachers ever tell you. " The only dumb question is a question you dont ask ":D
Oh sure.....:)

HCS
04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
The term God Speed became really popular after the space shuttle explosion.
That was the term use by the astronauts right before lift off.
Also use by test pilot Chuck Yager.

HavaSkank
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I speak with a tiny bit of authority here. As a comic myself, within the community Mencia is affectionately known as "Menstealya." Several comics refuse to share marque time out of fear their shit will end up on his show, without any recognition or compensation.
I worked a project with a writer from Mencia's show who told me Mencia isnt even Hispanic and Carlos isnt his real name. I guess his mom is German, but German jokes arent nearly as funny as Beaner jokes.