PDA

View Full Version : School Lockdowns

ChumpChange
04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
How many schools will be locked down today because it's the anniversary of Columbine?
Turns out my old school has been. Bonita High School in La Verne, CA. I guess a student went missing yesterday with a bunch of guns from his house. What a messed up world we live in.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
:jawdrop: well that's not good.

NOTALENT
04-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow....thats scary.

COWBOY KENNY
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I Blame The Schools A Lot For This They Are Afraid To Put Their Foot Down With Students.

Fire Angler
04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Bonita school district in San Dimas for one. One of the high school students stole a couple of rifles with ammo from his parents, and is now missing.
The school called to let everyone know of the possible danger (props to the school for getting the word out quickly) before my eldest Daughter got on the bus, my second Daughter is on her way home from science camp, and my poor 6 year was in lock down mode.
Needless to say, it's been scary day for the Parents & Kids in San Dimas and La Verne.

Riverless
04-20-2007, 09:30 AM
ok, so this week alone is the anniversary of columbine, waco, oklahoma city and now virginia tech? what is up with that? :confused:

lewiville
04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I Blame The Schools A Lot For This They Are Afraid To Put Their Foot Down With Students.
Do you have kids? I think we have as a country that is rebuilding itself from being very lackadaisical to threats in the last 5 years, we need to start taking this stuff pretty seriously. Threat or not.

Kilrtoy
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't think many are, it may be in the back of the admin's minds

AirtimeLavey
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Bonita school district in San Dimas for one. One of the high school students stole a couple of rifles with ammo from his parents, and is now missing.
The school called to let everyone know of the possible danger (props to the school for getting the word out quickly) before my eldest Daughter got on the bus, my second Daughter is on her way home from science camp, and my poor 6 year was in lock down mode.
Needless to say, it's been scary day for the Parents & Kids in San Dimas and La Verne.
Hope they find that kid soon. Terrible for your kids to have it come so close to home. I was in Spain for 9th grade, at an American school in Madrid, and we got a couple bomb scares. Of course that's in a foreign country, and you have different safety concerns anyway, but it still rattles you as kid.

lalhc
04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Scary thing. I am a Bonita graduate and I just found out about this. My nieces & nephews were sent home from their school today in La Verne.

ChumpChange
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
ok, so this week alone is the anniversary of columbine, waco, oklahoma city and now virginia tech? what is up with that? :confused:
Rodney King anniversary next week. :eek:

Kilrtoy
04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
SCHOL LOCKDOWNS DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE,
the politically correct term now is
CAMPUS PROTECTION

Captain Dan
04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Rodney King anniversary next week. :eek:
after enough shit goes down in this world, every day will be the anniversary of something

lewiville
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
CAMPUS PROTECTION
that makes sense

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
My stepbrother is a senior at Bonita, I'm sure he doesn't mind having a friday off of school.
The last day of school my freshman year of HS, June 1996 for thoses of you keeping score, we had a bomb threat - which turned-out to be a senior prank from another school.
In middle school (1993) there were 4-5 students who brought guns & knives to school and where going to hold their wood shop class hostage.
WTF is wrong with kids today?

ChumpChange
04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
DeltaSig: Did you go to Bonita as well? I'm class of 97.

LHC30Victory
04-20-2007, 10:22 AM
CAMPUS PROTECTION
OHHHH, This coming from PC you! :D

Sandbar Mike
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
We kept our son from elementary school today, we live down the street from Bonita.
You never know what a young kid with guns is capable of doing. I hope the COPS find this kid before we do!:mad:

Rexone
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Many times it's copy cat syndrome. Particularly with impressionable youth I believe.
Crazys in general I think idolize anniverseries of major events to make their own marks in history and be remembered.
And how may school shooting sprees were there period before Colombine? Maybe there was and I'm not aware. Kent state I know but that was a little different scenario and decades before. How many since? Several.
Same thing with murder sprees. Once one crazy goes bezeerko using a certain method or MO, seems several follow.
Same thing with arson.
Same thing with carjacking. Anyone hear of carjacking in the 60's 70s?
People just aren't normally real original so they copy others.
Just take a look around the marine industry. ;)

Rexone
04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
WTF is wrong with kids today?
Substitute the word "parents" and there's your answer for the most part.

Riverless
04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Many times it's copy cat syndrome. Particularly with impressionable youth I believe.
Crazys in general I think idolize anniverseries of major events to make their own marks in history and be remembered.
And how may school shooting sprees were there period before Colombine? Maybe there was and I'm not aware. Kent state I know but that was a little different scenario and decades before. How many since? Several.
Same thing with murder sprees. Once one crazy goes bezeerko using a certain method or MO, seems several follow.
Same thing with arson.
Same thing with carjacking. Anyone hear of carjacking in the 60's 70s?
People just aren't normally real original so they copy others.
Just take a look around the marine industry. ;)
just got me wondering if it is coincidence or not, that these crimes took place within days of each other, but different years, of course.

dumbandyoung
04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
i think its a cry for help

Fire Angler
04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Here is a link about the missing student.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5228349

Brewzed
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
My son goes to Buena Vista High School in Corona. He just got home and called me to let me know that a kid in his home room jumped out of his chair and was telling everyone he was going to kill them. Pointed out 2 girls and said he was going to start with them. Was saying he loves blood, etc, etc.
They locked down the school, police were called. Turns out he didnt' have a gun, but they did arrest him. My kid is really freaked out.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM
We kept our son from elementary school today, we live down the street from Bonita.
The elementary school right down the street from Bonita? I onyl ask as I live in La Verne as well, but over by San Dimas Canyon...

ChumpChange
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Here is a link about the missing student.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5228349
I know the commander in that article. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there a couple La Verne Officers on this board?

Ryphraph
04-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I used to do work for LVPD and my coworker still works with them. I don't know if any of them post regulary, but there are some ***boaters.
Ryph

Kilrtoy
04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
The one I know left and is with the LACDAO

Ryphraph
04-20-2007, 02:59 PM
The one I know left and is with the LACDAO
It has been a while since I was in there regularly. I know a lot of folks moved to Glendora as well.
I know one of the motor guys mom had a place at Parker. Some of the fire guys there do to.
Ryph

Coach
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
We had a normal day at our HS today. No threats no weird stuff and just some rain.
Many times kids figure out they can get a day off of school and work the system. e.i. bomb threats
We had someone write a note on a bathroom wall a few years back and the school investigated and many parents kept kids home from school that day. Did anything happen no, but we took every procaution to make sure nothing did. We had police all over campus at every location and 4 district assistant sups on campus. Parents were notified by phone the night before as a procaution and explained the threat and what was being done.

PBOCOP
04-20-2007, 06:05 PM
We got word right away about this last night. I guess his threats were directly related to the Columbine anniversary and he stole 8 guns from the home. Pretty serious correlation. Makes sense for the complete shutdown.
I haven't heard if they found him yet today. Last word was that he was still on the loose. Glad it's Friday because he will be located this weekend for sure, dead or alive.
Good call by La Verne PD to make this request. Good thing the school district listened.
PBO

bignet
04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Sandbar Mike;2513521]We kept our son from elementary school today, we live down the street from Bonita.
shoulda went to the river!
:devil:
bignet

TheEduKATor
04-20-2007, 07:23 PM
My school in San Diego was fine today. We had more abscences than usual for a Friday but that's because it was 4/20 and it was the Senior's unofficial ditch day. This year so far one of my students stabbed another student from a different high school at a school bus stop but my student still had the prescence of mind to get on the bus so he would not be late for school. Last year a dry ice bomb was placed on my vice principal's door step but it malfunctioned. Since, it failed another one was left on her door step a month later. Fortunately this time the suspects were caught but they turned out to be our students and one was a student in my class. All were relatively good students.
What's this world coming to when my wife's purse get taken by one of her 5th graders. The student was caught with a hundred dollar bill in hand and some change. She claimed the money was her birthday money and that she had no idea how my wife's atm card got in her backpack. Another one of her 4th graders last year was expelled for bringing a knife to school because a student from a different grade had been picking on him.

Kindsvater Flat
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Our school was closed today after that little local scare we had yesterday.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2007, 09:11 PM
it is very sad that everyone has to live their lives around crap like this.

Mrs 2LKHVSU
04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
We had a normal day at our HS today. No threats no weird stuff and just some rain.
Many times kids figure out they can get a day off of school and work the system. e.i. bomb threats
We had someone write a note on a bathroom wall a few years back and the school investigated and many parents kept kids home from school that day. Did anything happen no, but we took every procaution to make sure nothing did. We had police all over campus at every location and 4 district assistant sups on campus. Parents were notified by phone the night before as a procaution and explained the threat and what was being done.
It's nice to know that our fine city takes precautions.

shrek
04-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I live between San Dimas Canyon and Walnut.......small world.
Bonita Class of 1994.
This kid went to Allen Avenue Elem......my mom still works there, and they were on high alert due to his past history there.
It was a very scary day in LaVerne/San Dimas.......I left work at 10am because my Mom did not sound good on the phone.......went and hung out with her at school.
He lived on the same street as my in-laws...........saw all the uc officers on the street.........made me feel better.
I hope they catch this kid soon.
Shrek

goneboatin
04-21-2007, 07:56 AM
My kids go to school at Ramona Middle School and Allen Ave. Elementry School. We didn't watch the news on Thursday and nobody said anything. My wife said that there were a couple of police cars at Ramona yesterday morning, but nobody said anything. It wasn't until I got on the ***boat site last night that I found out about this.
At 8:00pm I got a pre-recorded message from Bonita Unified School District that the schools were on lockdown and might be on Monday, and that they are taking "evasive measures" the keep the school safe. The children are their most important concern. I call it BS, if the kids don't show up, the district doesn't get paid. The only reason the message was left is because of the media coverage. They obviously had our phone number, they could have called in the morning. With the mental teachers at Ramona and lack of discipline at Allen, the district is going in the toilet.
And this, is our future....God help us.

lalhc
04-21-2007, 11:03 AM
What street do you live on Bignet? I grew up on 12th Street and graduated from Bonita in '84. My dad still lives there. He has lived in La Verne his entire life.

craiginlaverne
04-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey shrek, my wife works at Allen Ave. Is you mom a teacher? All 4 of my kids go there. The youngest is in pre school and my oldest is in the 5th grade. My brother is "lalhc" on these boards. I graduatd from Bonita in 87. We never did that crap to our school. We just liked to PARTY!!! San Dimas Canyon BABY!! Ahhh, those were the days!!!

shrek
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=craiginlaverne;2515577]Hey shrek, my wife works at Allen Ave. Is you mom a teacher? All 4 of my kids go there. The youngest is in pre school and my oldest is in the 5th grade. My brother is "lalhc" on these boards. I graduatd from Bonita in 87. We never did that crap to our school. We just liked to PARTY!!! San Dimas Canyon BABY!! Ahhh, those were the days!!![/QUOTE
San Dimas Canyon, Above Golden Hills, and what we called the OK Corral.........ahhhh the days when kids just had good clean fun.
Shrek

craiginlaverne
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Ok. My oldest son knows who she is. I just asked him about it. My wife is a TA for the Special Ed. class. Also, iam a board member for La Verne/ San Dimas Pop Warner. Damn, the things that went on up in that canyon. I could write a book!! Naw, I would never tell!!!::)