PDA

View Full Version : 96-99 Chevy 454 question...

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
This is not really what I was looking for but I stumbled across a real low mile Vortec 454 4x4 Suburban for a good price--about 60k miles. Just how bad are the issues with that era with the intake gasket/water pump/Dexcool stuff? Also injectors and fuel pumps were issues in that era.
I had a 1998 2500 4x4 Chevy and it was a POS. It was THE reason I went Mopar:D. Should I stay away from this or did I just have a bad truck? The burb is super clean and appears to be well maintained. Seems like too good a deal to pass-up.
:confused:

27 Awesome cat
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I can only say that my 98 burb was a pain in the ass when it came to the injectors..I fought with the dealer for almost two years before they changed everyone of them.Since then no problems.

HALLETT BOY
04-26-2007, 12:59 PM
This is not really what I was looking for but I stumbled across a real low mile Vortec 454 4x4 Suburban for a good price--about 60k miles. Just how bad are the issues with that era with the intake gasket/water pump/Dexcool stuff? Also injectors and fuel pumps were issues in that era.
I had a 1998 2500 4x4 Chevy and it was a POS. It was THE reason I went Mopar:D. Should I stay away from this or did I just have a bad truck? The burb is super clean and appears to be well maintained. Seems like too good a deal to pass-up.
:confused:
Plan on replacing the intake manifold gaskets right away and then again after the same mileage !! The dexcool is fine as long as it wasn't contaminated prior to you owning it.With the injector / fuel pump issues, some are good,
others are bad..it's hit and miss ...

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't have time to do it myself so what would the dealer or good shop charge to do new injectors, manifold gasket, water pump, etc?
Is there a fix or is it just a bad design?

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Any more GM peeps out there?

GRUNION
04-26-2007, 07:03 PM
I have 150 on mine and only problem I have had is fuel pumps.

kingbrutis
04-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I have a 96 3500 dually. Had it overheat the first time I pulled my toy hauler. Fan clutch went out and radiatior was bad. $600 and an easy fix, I love it. She has 260,000 and keeps on rolling. I look at it this way, when the motor goes, there are quite a few places in PHX that offer a rebuilt long block, installed, with a warrenty for under $2K. Gas mileage kinda sucks, but I'm not paying 50K for a truck. Later Joe Any more GM peeps out there?

QuickJet
04-26-2007, 07:13 PM
WWW.fullsizechevy.com
Everything you would ever want to know.

XtrmWakeborder
04-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Pops has a 97 454 suburban. I think it's pretty close to 100k miles and the only engine problems have been two fuel pumps, and one of the a/c hoses has a leak.

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
WWW.fullsizechevy.com
Everything you would ever want to know.
Site is running so slow I can't get on it. But thanks for the link. I'll try is again later.

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I have 150 on mine and only problem I have had is fuel pumps.
Wow, lots of fuel pump issues. What does it cost to R/R them? Did it leave you stranded or do they let you know before they go? Mine used to whine like Hell but never quit. I had too many injector issues to worry about the fuel pump.:D

Outnumbered
04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Prices,
When I had the intake manifold gasket replaced, I also had them replace the waterpump and hoses as I didn't want problems running across the desert. All totalled came to $483.68. (chev dealer) milage was 54,376
The fuel pump (intank unit) failed at 54,811. It $412.56. Dealer will rape you on the fuelpump so I had it repaired elsewhere. It gave no warning just wouldn't start after I shut it off.
No injector or trans problems or other major problems.
Before you replace the airfilter unit on this model and year touch base with Bow Tie Rick (with K&N) as some aftermarket units are extremely noisy.
Rio
Great info. Thanks.

a catered life
04-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow, lots of fuel pump issues. What does it cost to R/R them? Did it leave you stranded or do they let you know before they go? Mine used to whine like Hell but never quit. I had too many injector issues to worry about the fuel pump.:D
YEA CHEVY HAD A FEW YEARS OF BAD FUEL PUMPS AND TRANSMISSIONS...WE HAVE A TAHOE AND ASTRO AND BOTH PUMPS HAVE GONE AND THIS IS OUR SECOND ASTRO AND BOTH TRANS WENT OUT BUT GENERALLY THOSE YEARS WERE PRETTY GOOD....OUR 98 ASTRO AND 99 TAHOE ROLL HARD WITH MINOR REPAIRS...THE ONLY THING I FEEL MIGHT BE A ISSUE WITH THAT 454 IS THE GAS:confused:

SB
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I have an Astro, those fuel pumps are costly $300 plus labor. Your warning is that it idles too fast, meaning it doesn't slow down enough when you let off the gas.
If the engine didn't blow by now, I guess they replaced the Dexcool in time.

XtrmWakeborder
04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
STRANDED for sure....damn thing just goes out.