PDA

View Full Version : Starting / Buying a businessÂ….

dhall50
04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
So from other posts I noticed that quite a few people here own their own business. I would love to hear about them and how you got started. I am 21 and a California Correctional Officer. The money is awesome but I am not completely sold on doing this for the next 30 years. Any input would be great.

DMOORE
04-26-2007, 09:41 PM
So from other posts I noticed that quite a few people here own their own business. I would love to hear about them and how you got started. I am 21 and a California Correctional Officer. The money is awesome but I am not completely sold on doing this for the next 30 years. Any input would be great.
As a business owner I can give you one piece of advice. If you are going to start a business, be sure it is something you love . Because you will be married to it in the begining. A passion really helps.
Darrell.

lalhc
04-26-2007, 09:53 PM
If you like what you're doing right now, then I would advise to stick w/it and try to start something you really like to do on your time off. If it works, then you should be prepared to go out on your own.

SummerBreeze
04-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Are you truly a business owner or are you self employed
Big difference
My hat go's off to for wanting to do your own thing
Read the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" it will teach you the difference in business
Good luck

Mr. Crusader 83
04-27-2007, 06:16 AM
My father and I recently opened doors to a new business in Lake Havasu City. Its a small engine repair shop. We are authorized Stihl dealers. I will tell you its no easy task getting started. I work mon-sat 7-4. sunday is my only day off. I run the shop and my father is out driving the town meeting people. The best thing I can tell you is advertise and spread the word. People talk, and a good rep. will get you far.

DSW
04-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Hey thats kinda funny. I own my own business, and I'm also trying to become a Calif correctional officer! The soon to be wife will be taking care of the business and I'll be going to prison every day.....Lots more income doing both and way better benifits..

Trailer Park Casanova
04-27-2007, 06:46 AM
I started doing Air Conditioning for neighbors and the local strip malls for the cost of parts.
And I did lots of work for a popular steakhouse in the Airport area for a bar and dinner tab comps.
The steakhouse owner called me in his office one day and said " You're saving me thousands".
I though he was saving me thousands with the cocktails and food comps.
Then, through word of mouth I got a movie studio contract, lots of residential and construction jobs, restaurant chains, hotels, which I charged for labor and parts.
It then just grew.
I think being honest, not gouging on prices and "little free favors" did the trick to help with success too.
Free favors like stopping by and fixing something small for free, helping with other things, call for warranty coverage on stuff I didnt install or sell,,, made friends with my customers and they would always call back.

a catered life
04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Are you truly a business owner or are you self employed
Big difference
My hat go's off to for wanting to do your own thing
Read the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" it will teach you the difference in business
Good luck
great book and fyi fr those who hate to read they have it at most local libaries on tape...it makes for great commuting

HighRoller
04-27-2007, 08:37 AM
You have to be the entrepreneurial type for sure if you want to start your own business. Unless you're flush with cash, choose something you love to do and start it part-time on the side. Build it slowly while you build capital until it will pay you enough to live on. During this time you should read everything you can get your hands on about business from the Non-Fiction section. I recommend these titles:
The E-Myth
Guerilla Marketing
Execution
Good to Great
Failing Forward
The Millionaire Next Door
Total Money Makeover

superdave013
04-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I started part time 3 years ago. I was selling online, out of the back of my truck and at swapmeets. I rented shop space about 1.5 years ago. I have been full time for a little over 1 year. I just put my first real paycheck in the bank the other day.
Mr. C, it must be nice to get every Sunday off.