PDA

View Full Version : Police and Firefighter pay

jbone
04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
With all the talk recently about pay, I thought I'd share a phrase that I think is right on.
"Cops get paid too much 70% of the time, just right 20% of the time, and not nearly enough 10% of the time."
It seams like people only like looking at the 70% when determining whether or not cops are overpaid. The same goes for firefighters I'm sure.
J

clownpuncher
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
My opinion about all the BS talk about us whining about being underpaid.
1st off - Not one person has ever heard me say that I was underpaid. I'm sure that's the same with many other FF on this board. Sure, I wish I made more, but, it was enough for me to do twenty years and get ****ed up lungs for an "earlier than I wanted" retirement. IMO, best blue collar job in the world. Cops do get to play with some pretty cool toys though;) I'd do it again, same pay and everything.
2nd - Some of the talk may have been embelished from the original discussion. I remember some FF's saying they don't become firemen for the $$, cuz the pay ain't that great. We do it because we love it.
Oh, and chicks dig it:D
Don't turn this into another FF-popo bashing thread or I'll just have to pick up my ball and go to the river. Ah **** it, I'm goin anyway.
See y'all next week. Fockers:p

H20Advantage
04-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I've never complained about my pay either. We are always striving for better pay and most of the times raises don't even meet cost of living increases.
What people forget is we are first responders. Whose gonna go into that meth lab, fire, or other hazardous situation.
Whose gonna deal with that out of control suspect with Hepatitas A,B or C or other disease.
When I first got into this job I thought I needed to be the best shot, runner and fighter. I soon found out I need to be a counselor, Hazmat expert, and a variety of other things that pay way beyond what I would be making.
I go to work everyday and never know if I will come home. If I do come home will I have received and injury or contracted some disease I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
I get paid well but sometimes it feels I should get paid more. Yet higher pay or not I go to my job everyday because I love it. I also go because the majority of the people out there in this world really appreciate the things that I do.

probablecause
04-27-2007, 09:11 PM
I've never complained about my pay either. We are always striving for better pay and most of the times raises don't even meet cost of living increases.
What people forget is we are first responders. Whose gonna go into that meth lab, fire, or other hazardous situation.
Whose gonna deal with that out of control suspect with Hepatitas A,B or C or other disease.
When I first got into this job I thought I needed to be the best shot, runner and fighter. I soon found out I need to be a counselor, Hazmat expert, and a variety of other things that pay way beyond what I would be making.
I go to work everyday and never know if I will come home. If I do come home will I have received and injury or contracted some disease I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
I get paid well but sometimes it feels I should get paid more. Yet higher pay or not I go to my job everyday because I love it. I also go because the majority of the people out there in this world really appreciate the things that I do.
Right on the money (no punn intended).

Lunatic
04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
You are 100 percent correct and I am right there with you.

Huckleberry
04-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Very well put.

Kindsvater Flat
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I have no bitches. I make $200 a month before taxes for being a volunteer fire chief and can be sued just the same as the one making $100k or whatever they get.:D

bigq
04-28-2007, 06:20 AM
No matter what you do everyone wants to make more money, I doubt it is just Police and Fireman (or is it person now?). I think it is more of an issue because the public pay the salary. I would think most are content with the pay and the benefits, remember they wern't drafted into it, it is a chosen field, but like I said everyone wants more money, have you seen the price of housing in Califonication.:rolleyes:

imnigel
04-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I know I don’t post very much but I would have to say that I don’t think LEOs and FFs aren't paid enough or appreciated nearly enough. And I would like to say something that I am sure neither of you hear enough…thank you for keeping us safe and a live.

78Anthonyjet
04-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Anyone that runs into a building when the chit has hit the fan, while I am running out should make a lot of freaking money, be it a Cop, Fire Fighter or Paramedic. I don't think that any one doing those jobs is paid enough for the chit that they have to put up with on a daily basis.

4DAY4PLAY
04-28-2007, 08:14 PM
All of you pay for our services(fireman, police, paramedics) when you pay taxes. With that said, taxes will never go away or go down...so would you rather the fireman and police in your community make a great living for what they do..or the librarians, water dept, clerical, city council, landscapers, maintanance workers, etc..that are employed by the city, in less dangerous positions. Not that they dont work hard, and there not worth every penny, but the point im trying to make is the money is going to be spent somewere, and if were not getting it others will. City Managers, attorneys, and other executive staff already make big money, and im talking big money. Although ive only been on the job 8 years, and have over 20 more to go before retirement, i can honestly say i have been in situations many times were i was unsure if i was going to go home to my family, but it didnt slow me down one bit, and life and property has been saved because of it. Most emergency calls i respond to last appx 1 hr. Im paid $26/hr, and im at the TOP of my salary scale. So when i respond to your house when your having chest pain, give you oxygen an IV and medications, then transport you to the ER, your paying me appx $26. When i put out the bedroom fire in your house in 10 minutes, overhaul it for another 45 minutes, your paying me $26, and i thank you for that. And by the way, I pay my gardner $25 a week for an hours worth of work as well, but i dont complain about how much he makes.

blackcloud75
04-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Or make life or death decisions, daily, based on minimal information to provide safety of a stranger.........
.........if I won the Lottery Today, I still would show up to my job
and single function Paramedics only make $10-$12 dollars an hour...........

H20Advantage
04-28-2007, 08:19 PM
All of you pay for our services(fireman, police, paramedics) when you pay taxes. With that said, taxes will never go away or go down...so would you rather the fireman and police in your community make a great living for what they do..or the librarians, water dept, clerical, city council, landscapers, maintanance workers, etc..that are employed by the city, in less dangerous positions. Not that they dont work hard, and there not worth every penny, but the point im trying to make is the money is going to be spent somewere, and if were not getting it others will. City Managers, attorneys, and other executive staff already make big money, and im talking big money. Although ive only been on the job 8 years, and have over 20 more to go before retirement, i can honestly say i have been in situations many times were i was unsure if i was going to go home to my family, but it didnt slow me down one bit, and life and property has been saved because of it. Most emergency calls i respond to last appx 1 hr. Im paid $26/hr, and im at the TOP of my salary scale. So when i respond to your house when your having chest pain, give you oxygen an IV and medications, then transport you to the ER, your paying me appx $26. When i put out the bedroom fire in your house in 10 minutes, overhaul it for another 45 minutes, your paying me $26, and i thank you for that. And by the way, I pay my gardner $25 a week for an hours worth of work as well, but i dont complain about how much he makes.
I believe the average tax payer pays 5 cents a day for fire and police services. I know there have been days when I would like to refund that nickel to someone and walk away...:D

bigq
04-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I believe the average tax payer pays 5 cents a day for fire and police services. I know there have been days when I would like to refund that nickel to someone and walk away...:D
and the other 65% goes to education:rolleyes:

bigq
04-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Or make life or death decisions, daily, based on minimal information to provide safety of a stranger.........
.........if I won the Lottery Today, I still would show up to my job
and single function Paramedics only make $10-$12 dollars an hour...........
Maybe if they did more then a single function they would make more.:D
You work for the Police or Fire department?

HotDogz
04-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I think public safety employees should be compensated for endangering their own lives for the sake of the public. Education and public safety should be priorities as a foundation to any community. Now if we can get our government to think so as well because it seems like any time cuts need to be made, rat bastard diplomats start with public safety and education.
My .02:mad:

Screemy1
04-29-2007, 08:57 AM
my friend is LAPD and his wife is a nurse.... she works 2 or 3 days a week and makes more then him while he works full time.... they both have 4 year degrees.... but he like what he does.... he just wishes he would have wanted to be a nurse..... for the $$$ and time off....

blackcloud75
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe if they did more then a single function they would make more.:D
You work for the Police or Fire department?
Fire Department.....

XtrmWakeborder
04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing most people don't have a clue how much you guys get paid and just like to whine...

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing most people don't have a clue how much you guys get paid and just like to whine...
Well, my local fire district is just a little bit over paid... to the tune of 181k per employee in wages and beenies. The one right next to it, which is has about 150 less employees is averageing 78k a employee in wages and beenies.

blackcloud75
04-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Well, my local fire district is just a little bit over paid... to the tune of 181k per employee in wages and beenies. The one right next to it, which is has about 150 less employees is averageing 78k a employee in wages and beenies.
Freak..... our Fire Chief or even our City Manager doesn't even make anything close to that much!!!!! And we are in the "upper end" of LA County:mad:
Obviously your referring to an Bay Area Department(Which one?).....

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 01:27 PM
sac metro actaully. the bay area is about half that( and they have a freeze on hiring and pay for the last 3 years) My understanding is that sac metro is the 3rd highest paying fire district in the nation.( artical in the sac bee a couple months back...) Sad part is thats just thier pay and bennies, does not inculed reitires and other things( workmens comp claims and simlar things).
Now I think you guys understand why I have a soft spot for firemen... And thats the average per employee... I really don't want to know what the high end of the scale is.( sadly thier web site sucks ass so I've not been able to find any info on thier site other then the budget)

4day!!
04-29-2007, 02:20 PM
This a my response a few weeks back to another thread:
Would you prefer the strangers that come into your home at 3am and scoop up your 2 year old child and run out the door with them to be the lowest bidders, so to speak. Or the strangers who are starting IV's, administering cardiac drugs and sticking tubes down your throat, would you also prefer them to be the lowest bidders. Get over it dude, we are not miilionaires and never will be. We make a comfortable living and that's all, nothing more, nothing less.

oilfieldtrash
04-29-2007, 03:54 PM
this is how i see it if you work hard and are working at a job that you enjoy and are makin a livin dont bi$ch. i just got a offer letter from Conoco Phillips
for 26.00 an hour as a mechanic! i have busted my ass and have worked hard from 10.50 an hour to where i am today ,so i still think that hard work will pay off.

blackcloud75
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
sac metro actaully. the bay area is about half that( and they have a freeze on hiring and pay for the last 3 years) My understanding is that sac metro is the 3rd highest paying fire district in the nation.( artical in the sac bee a couple months back...) Sad part is thats just thier pay and bennies, does not inculed reitires and other things( workmens comp claims and simlar things).
Now I think you guys understand why I have a soft spot for firemen... And thats the average per employee... I really don't want to know what the high end of the scale is.( sadly thier web site sucks ass so I've not been able to find any info on thier site other then the budget)
I found all the information per their web page......
You do need to do your homework and do what hopefully your parents taught you and not to "believe everything you read or your told" ........after reviewing SAC Metro's MOU/Salary Schedule(public record on their website,www.smfd.ca.gov.)
They are by far, not the "3rd Highest" paid in the nation. And your "181k" per employee is impossible, that would put roughly a low average of $100,000 of benefits per employee.......BULLSHIT!!!!:idea:
please link us to Your SAC Bee references

Kurtis500
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
If you were after money then the public service is was/not for you. I'm not sure how anybody in the business could complain about the pay when the scales are made public before you pick-up an application. On top of this, you have an idea of cost of living increases, benefits package and potential raises for the near and distant future. Any complaining done after being hired is stemming from greed since everybody has plenty of information to make an informed decision about thier employment. (Unless of course, your department heads south financially or by way of leadership.) This past week I spent some time with long-term-fortune 500 company research scientists in Ohio. With all the PhD's and etc, you should have seen the look on thier face when I told them I have 2 retirement plans, the 20 year pension, more benefits than I can count on both hands and a job I play basketball, racquetball, weightlift, nap and watch movies at each day. All with great pay. I could have handed out apps. if I had them... Sorry, regardless of what people say I believe we are well taken care of. No complaints..
BTW, I'm not addressing anything someone here said, so don't dogpile.

COWBOY KENNY
04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
They don't always pay us for what we do. They pay us for what we are willing to do in a seconds notice..

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I found all the information per their web page......
You do need to do your homework and do what hopefully your parents taught you and not to "believe everything you read or your told" ........after reviewing SAC Metro's MOU/Salary Schedule(public record on their website,www.smfd.ca.gov.)
They are by far, not the "3rd Highest" paid in the nation. And your "181k" per employee is impossible, that would put roughly a low average of $100,000 of benefits per employee.......BULLSHIT!!!!:idea:
please link us to Your SAC Bee references
http://www.smfd.ca.gov/pdf/Final%20budget%202006_2007%20board%20approved.pdf
Employees salarey and beenies... just under 122 mil( 121,987, 613 to be exact page 37 has it broken down... I made a mistake they did pay in 22 mil too retires...still 100 mil to current employees,thats about 150k per employee.) keep going down and you will see that they averaged 673 employees in 2006... Even if you take out the retires 150k per employee is still way over paid.
just in wages there is $83,123,518 divide that by 673 employees. thats a average of $123511.91 a year. even if they had 800 employees its still ~ 104k...even at 1000 employees its still over 83k( but they average 673) several of the jobs pay over 10k a month and even more that top out over 10k. ( that section of thier web site did not work last time I checked.)

XtrmWakeborder
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Thats a hell of a lot of money...! Overpaid? I don't know. If they just fought fires i'd think so, dealing with injuries, death, crashes, disasters etc. makes me think they are very well compensated. Cops have a thankless job, but personally every cop i've met has been a dick so i'm not too fond of them.

4DAY4PLAY
04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.smfd.ca.gov/pdf/Final%20budget%202006_2007%20board%20approved.pdf
Employees salarey and beenies... just under 122 mil( 121,987, 613 to be exact page 37 has it broken down... I made a mistake they did pay in 22 mil too retires...still 100 mil to current employees,thats about 150k per employee.) keep going down and you will see that they averaged 673 employees in 2006... Even if you take out the retires 150k per employee is still way over paid.
just in wages there is $83,123,518 divide that by 673 employees. thats a average of $123511.91 a year.
Heres some advice: It looks like you have allot of free time on your hand based on all of the research youve done on this topic, so why dont you use it wisely, study, and take the firemans test, and you can make all of this big money you think they make.

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
This a my response a few weeks back to another thread:
Would you prefer the strangers that come into your home at 3am and scoop up your 2 year old child and run out the door with them to be the lowest bidders, so to speak. Or the strangers who are starting IV's, administering cardiac drugs and sticking tubes down your throat, would you also prefer them to be the lowest bidders. Get over it dude, we are not miilionaires and never will be. We make a comfortable living and that's all, nothing more, nothing less.
So what do you call a comfortable living? Too me thats making average to slightly above average imcome, not 40k more then average imcome in the state.

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Heres some advice: It looks like you have allot of free time on your hand based on all of the research youve done on this topic, so why dont you use it wisely, study, and take the firemans test, and you can make all of this big money you think they make.
Why would I want to do that? Its not a job I would enjoy, I've already taken a 30k+ pay cut to do a job that I actaully enjoy rather then one I hated. You can't put a price on being able to get up in the morning and looking forward to your day. Which is why I am sure most firemen signed up for, what I hate is when they keep asking for more money saying they are under paid, when the average income for the same postion on the other side of a line on the map is 20% less or if they make 50% more then the average income for the area/ state. I also hate the fact that they dothings that would get them fired on the spot in the private sector, but only get a slap on the wrist in the public.

Kurtis500
04-30-2007, 05:43 AM
what I hate is when they keep asking for more money saying they are under paid, when the average income for the same postion on the other side of a line on the map is 20% less or if they make 50% more then the average income for the area/ state.
Who is they? Can you send a link or identify the "they" you are talking about.
Yes, the other side of the map is a big difference. The city that employs them expects them to live and work in the community. That community may have varied tax and cost of living expenses which are higher or lower then the next. These issues are negotiated by the local union and are up for public viewing. Let us know what you find.
I also hate the fact that they dothings that would get them fired on the spot in the private sector, but only get a slap on the wrist in the public.
Yeah, I just went through a business that stocks beer in thier refrigerator for the employees to have at lunch and after work. Public sector never gets fired for that. Private companies can hire and fire at will which gives the private company leverage to fire with little reason if they choose to. The police do terminate more readily than the fire departments.
You just sound a little bitter. I notice that from people who tested for years to get on and never made it, then blame their demise on the 'system'.

YeLLowBoaT
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
The "they" I spoke of in this case was sac metro fire. Sac city fire makes about 15-20% less then sac metro. In this case its more expensive to live in the city( as a whole, I just got spraying a rental that is ~400 sq ft, it is a coverted basement that rents for almost 3 grand a month. :eek: ) then it is to live in the county. Not to mention the 100 year old homes, sky scrapers, narrow streets, water front and office buildings.( of which most of are still full of very nasty chemicals) Now I'm not a expert when it comes to 1st responce, but I am one when it comes to coatings and building materials. Let me tell you the stuff in some of those buildings down town is very, very nasty. Its common sence that being 1st responce in the city would be alot harder then it would in the out laying areas.( kind of have to live/work/spend time in the area)

little rowe boat
04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
So what do you call a comfortable living? Too me thats making average to slightly above average imcome, not 40k more then average imcome in the state.
Being able to afford a home in the city that you are employed by. Which most of the firefighters that work for the dept. I work for can not. This is sad and becomming more and more common.

weaver
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Ive done it for free as a reserve for five years and would love to get paid but love it just the same.