PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or is the London Bridge area in need of a severe tune up!

beaverretriever
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
My mom and I ate lunch today at Shagrus then decided to take a walk down by the shops and stuff on The Channel.
I realized how worn and tired everything looks. Just a good hosing down of the side walks would be a great start. There is just tons of staining from spilled beer, Coke, gum, trash etc and it smells like an old downtown bar.
Over on the hill behind the Shave Ice place it looks terrible. Lots of trash, dead grass, the old fountain is really neat over there but with no water in it it just looks horrible. The whole area over there is very defunct looking. I really noticed it coming down the stairs near the bridge on the North side.
Walking over towards KoMos, etc there are tons of weeds, broken fences and gates.
A lot of the black poles/guide chains along the walk way are needing painting, broken out of the cement and covered in stickers.
It is sad to see such a cool and old timey area going down hill and not being taken care of.I love that area. :( I guess it has been a while since I took a walk around there. Most of the time its at night with my wife after dinner and I don't notice it that much.
Whos responsibilty is it to keep that place clean? I know it gets a lot of wear and tear and that is understandable but I feel that it is just looking very tired and feel it needs a real cleaning and tune up.
My mom has never seen it, and I was almost a little embarrassed when I took her for a walk today. All I do is tell her how much I like Havasu.
What do you guys think?

Ziggy
04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree, it is showing its age in places along there.
The citys focus seems to be elsewhere, as in revenue generation, I mean wage increases.. :D

beaverretriever
04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I agree, it is showing its age in places along there.
The citys focus seems to be elsewhere, as in revenue generation, I mean wage increases.. :D
There are a lot of places around the U.S. that are old and recieve a lot of wear but get a lot of upkeep. It is just getting really worn looking down there.
Like I said, just some simple green and stiff broom and a hose would do wonders for that place.

HavasuUncleLarry
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
The Bridge is owned by the city..
Most of the area around the bridge (English Village) is privately owned... around the village, (ice cream shop/La styles) owned by the London Bridge Resort...
North side of the bridge area - Read Development getting ready to present a development plan to the city in May...
Those two own 98% of the area on the city side of the channel...

riverracerx
04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey Larry. I had heard awhile back that the city turned down a proposal from a developer to rebuild the whole village at a cost (to the developer) of 40M? Is that true. Would have been cool to get that place up to date and hoppin again. It BLOWS now!

HavasuUncleLarry
04-30-2007, 04:40 PM
More to it than that...... but something like that sort of happened..
Now Read Development is ready to move on the north side of the bridge ( it was delayed a year remember last year their was a push for the city to buy that side for just under 20 mill..
On the resort side - they have gotten their last zoning request so the best guess is that the LB Resort will start rebuilding their side of the english village after this years boating season.
All in all it will take 2 to 3 years to completely redo that area... while that is going on the second bridge should be underway... a 5 lane bridge over the channel down by the kingsview condo's and crazy horse...
Once the new bridge is complete - the london bridge will be closed for a million dollar remodal..

dumbandyoung
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
i guess its time for the Hot Boat.com Members annual Lake Havasu clean up day. Brink your simple green, scrup brushes, brillow pads and gum scrapers. being that its already 100+ there, the operation would have to be done in the wee hours of the morning.

beaverretriever
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
The Bridge is owned by the city..
Most of the area around the bridge (English Village) is privately owned... around the village, (ice cream shop/La styles) owned by the London Bridge Resort...
North side of the bridge area - Read Development getting ready to present a development plan to the city in May...
Those two own 98% of the area on the city side of the channel...
So I am assuming the sidewalks is all city; correct? Although it may be city, what is stopping the local business owners from cleaning the area around their store?
I is too bad it is getting so dirty. Like I said, I really love it down there and you would think they could get it looking awesome again. I would have liked to seen it in its hayday. :)

Ziggy
04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
There are a lot of places around the U.S. that are old and recieve a lot of wear but get a lot of upkeep. It is just getting really worn looking down there.
Like I said, just some simple green and stiff broom and a hose would do wonders for that place.
Sure would.......if each biz chipped in $50 a month they could easily hire a tweeker to touch up stuff and do general cleaning/repairs once a week or more...its a simple solution really.

beaverretriever
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Sure would.......if each biz chipped in $50 a month they could easily hire a tweeker to touch up stuff and do general cleaning/repairs once a week or more...its a simple solution really.
LOL... :D
Are those places really that busy during the week that they can't get the 17 yr old pimple faced employee out there scrubbing the side walk? Those places are dead during the week. I would think they would want somthing to do?

Ziggy
04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
LOL... :D
Are those places really that busy during the week that they can't get the 17 yr old pimple faced employee out there scrubbing the side walk? Those places are dead during the week. I would think they would want somthing to do?
C'mon? Don't you know the goal is to work as little but get paid as much as possible?
Being braindead is better than being productive.
As you said though, some basic cleaning would do wonders.

3 daytona`s
04-30-2007, 06:13 PM
i guess its time for the Hot Boat.com Members annual Lake Havasu clean up day. Brink your simple green, scrup brushes, brillow pads and gum scrapers. being that its already 100+ there, the operation would have to be done in the wee hours of the morning.
Many on here have not done an honest day`s work in their life? Then the real problem can not BRINK anything not allowed.:rolleyes: :)

shueman
04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
North side is def. depressing....totally empty...:eek: