PDA

View Full Version : sharpei/shepard mix

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Anyone know about these breeds of dog? Step kid bought a puppy that is mix of these two breeds. Since we have golden retrievers(extremely docile) and one has been the snack toy before for some aggressive pups.. just curious if the same scenerio could happen???

MRTRBL
05-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Both Breeds are very dominant. If you have golden retrievers (great dogs)
they will be last in the pecking order and may be roughed up learning that order. Why would you not check the dog prior to letting her bring it home?
Description: The Chinese Shar-Pei name roughly translates to "wrinkled skin", " in Chinese where he was known as the "Chinese Fighting Dog".
History: He is an ancient breed that has existed for centuries in the southern provinces of China, dating back to the Han Dynasty of 202 B.C - 220 B.C. He was originally recognized as a fighting breed but was also used to hunt, herd and offer protection. He almost became an extinct breed but there was a renewed interest in the sixties. Recognized by the Hong Kong Kennel Club in 1968, the Shar-Pei is now a popular pet. The Shar-Pei has a blue black tongue a characteristics only found in the Chow Chow and the Thai Ridgeback which may suggest a common ancestry.
GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
Photo "Xaver" courtesy of Allan Aguinaldo
HERDING DOG GROUP OUTDOOR EXERCISE 45 MIN/DAY VERY QUICK LEARNER BLACK,BLACKw/TAN,
GRAY,WHITE
LARGE SIZE INDOOR ENERGY LEVEL MEDIUM TEMPERAMENT DOMINANT SHEDS A LOT
WEIGHT
70 TO 95 POUNDS HEIGHT
22" TO 26" GREAT WATCHDOG GROOMING 3X A WEEK
AKC BREED STANDARD ••• SHORT,DENSE COAT AVE FOOD COST
P1,200 / MO.
Description: The German Shepherd Dog is a strong, agile, well muscled dog, alert and full of life. He is extremely intelligent and makes a wonderful companion, show or obedience dog. The German Shepherd is exceptionally trainable and works well as a police, guide, search, rescue dog. He is one breed that becomes truly bonded to his family and may suffer from separation anxiety when apart from his people

gramps
05-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't trust the shar-Pei at all. There was one around the corner from here, it attacked the neighbors. But then again there was also a Rotwieller (sp?) down the raod that did the same thing. Want another dog? I'd stick with the Goldens........nice and mellow.

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't trust the shar-Pei at all. There was one around the corner from here, it attacked the neighbors. But then again there was also a Rotwieller (sp?) down the raod that did the same thing. Want another dog? I'd stick with the Goldens........nice and mellow.
I wish I had a say but I don't, the teenage daughter runs the show. I have an older golden and at one time I felt sorry for these pups and brought them home and sure enough as they got bigger the golden became the snack toy. I am reconciling with my husband but love my goldie and do not wish her any harm. :(

BadKachina
05-04-2007, 06:38 AM
I've had a few Shar-Pei's over the years. The one we have now is the most gentle, docile dog I've ever had. You could pick her up by her tail and she wouldn't snap at you. The one we had before her on the other hand would attack anything human or another animal if she could. I would have people over and would have to lock her in a bed room so she wouldn't go after them. We obviously put her down, she was way too agressive. When you pick out the puppy don't pick the dominate one. They tend to show signs right away of how they will be later on. Also when they are puppies and you are playing with them, never use your hand or let them put their mouth on your hand. Use a chew toy or rope and scold them if they ever get their mouth on your skin. Let them know right away that it's never ok to bite you. They are a very loyal and loving dog, super intelligent, and they potty train them selves at about 8 weeks.