PDA

View Full Version : Battery Questions???

SUBPRIME
05-04-2007, 06:20 PM
So I've got 2 battery's in the boat they are the ones that came new with the boat in 05'. I have a pretty tame stereo on the boat, two amps and six speakers. But like everyone else I love blasting some tunes while on the boat!!! I'm getting annoyed because I have to use my portable jump start pack (Best thing I ever bought!!) just about everytime I start my boat!:mad: This is annoying because the battery's are located under the rear bench and I have to move some foamy stuff that's in there for sound damping or some shiz I don't know stereo peps put it in there, anyway it's a pain to move all of it everytime I have to jump start the boat.
I bought a (deep cycle) battery charger and tryed charging the batterys to see if it would help. One battery charged up just fine. The other went like this: I hooked the charger up and it went into "desulfation" mode which the charger book says "If successful , normal charging will resume after the battery is desulfated." The Battery that charged just fine took about 4 hours to charge and the charger gave me a green successful charge notice, this second one took a day and a half. I stopped charging when the charger went into a error mode. I unhooked the charger and set it to "Tester" mode to check the charge and it read at a 100% charged. ???
So I hook the batterys back up to the boat with the switch in the both settings and the electric door works and stereo works everythings great turn the switch to the off position and put the cover back on the boat and while I"m doing this I lower the trip a little with the switch that is at the back of the boat and the things sounds like it is running on a dead battery (I assuming that while the switch is in the off position that only one battery is giving juice to the trip motor?)
The boat started right up with the switch in the "both" position on the next use but I continually have to jumpstart the boat after we listen to the stereo any longer than 30-45 minutes or so and bam not enough juice to crank her over.
2 questions:
1. Do you think I have a bad battery? What's thier life expectancy? What's the best way to check?
2. What would adding a 3rd battery do to help my situation? Has anyone on here gone from 2 to 3 batterys? did it help?
Any other suggestions appreciated, this jumpstarting thing is starting to drive me nuts plus it looks ghetto to have to do that everytime I wanna start my boat.

DeltaSigBoater
05-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Deep cycle batteries have a lower CCA than Dual Purpose Deep Cycle/Starting, and Starting batteries have a higher CCA then Dual Purpose.
What I would do is change out to Dual Purpose Deep Cycle/Starting for starting, nav light, blower, etc. Then add a Deep Cycle for strickly for your sound system. Tie it all together with 3 bank charger.

KLEPTOW
05-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Buy your self one of these and save allot aggravation. This tester will perform a load test on your batteries (This will confirm if you have enough juice to start your engine) and test the alternator after you start the engine.
''If you don't put a load on it'' you have not properly tested your batteries and it may let you down when needed.
If you watch there sales you can get one for about 15 bucks well worth it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90636

JetBoatRich
05-05-2007, 06:39 AM
do you have a Perko switch:rolleyes: when switched to one battery, you will leave your starting battery fresh for when you need to start the engine

Forkin' Crazy
05-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Put a full charge on the battery. Let it sit for 24hrs or so, then check the voltage. If under 12V, it is done. You might want to get a starting batter just for the motor, etc, and run the jam off the other two. You can wire up a relay to hook them all together when the engine is running, so it will charge them all. Just a thought.:)

Wheeler
05-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Get some real good batteries, (deep cycle) keep em charged and they will last 10 to 15 years. I have 24 deep cycle batteries in my solar system.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/ProductSpec.aspx?Name=J305H
The orbit batteries in my boat, are 6 rears old and are still in great condition, these have not, been kept at full charge and continue to perform very well.
testing battery voltage is the quickest and at times the most reliable way, to test a battery.

SUBPRIME
05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
do you have a Perko switch:rolleyes: when switched to one battery, you will leave your starting battery fresh for when you need to start the engine
Yes I do have a perko switch that goes from one to the other to both to off. I do park for a while and switch to one battery for some tunes but the stereo only lasts about 45 minutes before it shuts off. Then it's either no tunes, use the other battery, or start it up and idle for a while, while charging the batterys (I don't like this one b/c I think it wastes gas and adds hours on the engine)

SUBPRIME
05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Deep cycle batteries have a lower CCA than Dual Purpose Deep Cycle/Starting, and Starting batteries have a higher CCA then Dual Purpose.
What I would do is change out to Dual Purpose Deep Cycle/Starting for starting, nav light, blower, etc. Then add a Deep Cycle for strickly for your sound system. Tie it all together with 3 bank charger.
So what your saying is they make special battery's for starting/accessories, and I could use this type for the starting and run the stereo off the other two?
I think this is what I might have to do....:idea:

Big Block
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes I do have a perko switch that goes from one to the other to both to off. I do park for a while and switch to one battery for some tunes but the stereo only lasts about 45 minutes before it shuts off. Then it's either no tunes, use the other battery, or start it up and idle for a while, while charging the batterys (I don't like this one b/c I think it wastes gas and adds hours on the engine)
IMO you don't want to do this because it can cause you more probs than just waist fuel and pile on hours. This is the #1 reason alternators fail. ALT's (most) are meant only for trickle charging "charged batteries", and not attempting to "re-charge" drained ones. When in this condition, this creates heat, and heat kills alternators. Something else to consider.

Sotally Tober
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Sounds like you batteries are bad. Atleast the one. If they are both in the same circuit it will damage the good one. I would get a deep cycle for your amps. I run a G31 Optima for starting. I have 3 G31 Trojan deep cycles for 2500w. I can crank the stereo all weekend with no problem. Do not use you alt. to charge the batts. Use your onboard charger for that. You will burn up the alt.