PDA

View Full Version : Hardwoods for stringers

holorinhal
05-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I am restoring My 18" Kona and replacing all the wood.
I am ready to install My stringers and am having major problems finding kiln dried doug fir in a 2x6.I can find dry fir in 1x6 and am contemplating using that.I have twice bought a set of 2x6 green doug fir ,let them set to dry and had them split.
My question is could I use a Red Oak 1x6 for the stringers?is there a such thing as a wood that is too stiff?
I dont want to use the laminated ply wood method,as some have sugested,becouse I am going for the natural wood bling factor.....Hal

Sangster
05-05-2007, 01:57 PM
We use 1" X 6" Oak all the time...Have also used laminated Plywood..Any wood that's "Dry & Straight" will work....

holorinhal
05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Sangster ,do You think 1"x 6" stringers are stong enough for a V hull fiberglass boat.Iv been told that it was'nt buy some people and is by others.
I see them in lots of vhulls,especially vdrives.Mines a jet but I dont see the diff in hull strength just becouse of drive types.....Hal

brad22
05-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I am restoring My 18" Kona and replacing all the wood.
The best choice is to use 5 quarter stair tread material from your local high quality lumber company. You can buy it in up to 16' lengths and it comes bull nosed. Its not quite as thick as a 2x but it has more strength as is a good looking piece of lumber.
Second choice is to laminate 2 pieces of marine ply with a layer of x-mat in the middle. This will give you exceptional strength but may not give you the look that you want.
I suggest the stair tread material 10" wide so you can cut your stringer to fit as far as possible in your bow area adding extra strength instead of just ending your stringer in front of the bulkhead.
Any other questions feel free to ask, this info is coming from Jim at ACE Marine who has been doing fiberglass work for over 40 years.
Thanks,
Brad and Jim

Sangster
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Sangster ,do You think 1"x 6" stringers are stong enough for a V hull fiberglass boat.Iv been told that it was'nt buy some people and is by others.
I see them in lots of vhulls,especially vdrives.Mines a jet but I dont see the diff in hull strength just becouse of drive types.....Hal
The dimensions of the stringer material often depends on hull type, hull length, hull weight & the amount of HP you will be strapping to it.....The 5/4 " stair tread is the easiest to use if it is right for your application.. What's wrong with putting them back the way they were...........

holorinhal
05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
What's wrong with putting them back the way they were...........
Sangster ,if You are refering to puting back the 2"x6"x12' stringers,that was my first intention.However I cannot seem to find clear dry 2x6 material here in Nevada.I have purchased two sets of 2x6 green fir and atemted to let them dry,only to have them split and warp,both sets mind You.
I can however find 1x6 ,1x8,up to 1x12 clear dry doug fir, oak,poplar and such.
I cotacted Austin hardwoods,here in las vegas ,to see if they sol 2x6 kiln dry fir,and they said No,but i did not know about the stir tread material,or ask about any other type of wood in that stock.I will do that Monday.
If the stair stock is thinner than 2x6(1 1/2")is it thicker than 1x6(3/4")?
I will also be putting a faily strong BBC in the boat,Definatley not stock.
I am going for looks with the stringers, so I realy don't want to use the ply wood.That is why I am trying to find the best looking wood also. Thanks guy's for all Your advice and please keep it comming....Hal

holorinhal
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I see said the blind Man!
I looked it up and found what a 5 quarter stair tread is.
5 quarter means 5/4 of an inch or 1 1/4 " as oposed to a typical 2x6 which is 1 1/2" thick or a 1x6 which is 3/4" thick. Now can I get 5 quarter in kiln dried doug fir.I will find out Monday when the hardwood store opens.....Hal

TollyWally
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
For what it's worth, stair tread material is usually good stuff. 5/4 material will measure out at 1 inch thick, a 1/4 inch thicker than 1x6. Seems a little light to me. Up here in Washington the lumber yards are full of Doug Fir. Perhaps you could laminate a few boards together, epoxy and screws could solve everything, or as long as you have a hardwood dealer there, why not try mahogany. It's fine boat wood. Good luck!