PDA

View Full Version : Legal Help..Living Trust

RJ Nordic
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Does anyone on the boards have a copy of "Orange Coast" magazine, from a couple of months ago where they had a large layout about various specialities and attorneys? :idea: I need some info out of it.
They had some good info that I have lost....Need a good attorney to put together our Living Trust before my surgery at the end of the month.:(
Newport/Irvine area would be good
Any referrals???

marty722
05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
You can do it yourself and have it noterized like we did with my mon and had no problems what so ever... If you go to an Attorney make sure they don't write it so you have to go back to them if something happens as they will charge you again.... A living trust should be a step by step instructions so once it is written you are done...unless you want to chane it. When the person passes away you just follow the living trust step by step... Some attorneys write it so when the person passes away you will need to go back to them so they can do the follow ups for you... make sure you don't do it that way as they will charge you.... I've been through this is is was real easy to follow if its done right... Just my 02 cents... good luck... Alot of finanical people do this and they are much cheaper....

shueman
05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
do it yourself, in most cases, will cover everything...paperwork at Office Depot..:) If there's more than say $500k in total assets, then legal help would be recommended.
Just my .02....I've done 3-4 different ones that held up to legal review...

HokeySon
05-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Absolutely, you can do it yourself if you have a simple estate. Of course, if it is that simple you probably do not need one anyway. You are not paying a lawyer to fill out the forms; you are paying him/her for the knowledge of what you need.
Also, while I am a big supporter of people handling their own affairs when they know what they are doing, the biggest single factor in having to pay too much in legal fees when something goes wrong is not talking to a lawyer in the begining. If nothing else, think of it as buying insurance in case something goes wrong -- the attorneys malpractice insurance.
PM if you want. If I cannot help you, I know some others that can handle any size estate from small to huge.

Xlration Marine
05-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Just asked the wife, she works for BoA. Guess you do the paper work take it into them and they make your account a trust account. She just said most lawyers just copy and paste the stuff and charge you a bunch of money. Call your bank and see what they say.