PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Afternoon Gelcoat....

Jbb
05-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I am finally gettin around to making the boat pretty again....The gel has tons of water marks ....sun damage ...and general ugliness that the buffer alone wont restore.....
I used something on it today that I have been using with great success on paintwork that I buff
Its a foam pad that fits a 6"..3/32" stroke D/A sander that has 4000 grit bonded to it.I use this right before I buff paint to remove 2000 grit scratches on my paint work....and it actually starts to shine up the paint while removing scratches.I didnt think It would be rough enough for gel restoration.
I was wrong! I was able to remove all the oxidation stains chalkiness and damage .....it left the surface virtually scratch free, level...and shiney....with just a very slight haze ...which buffs off in one pass,and looks shiney as new with a milder compound than I would ever use on gelcoat....
The 4000 grit pads are made by Mirka.
Glad I tried it! The old Eliminator will look new once again
More to come...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30253&stc=1&d=1178494894
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30254&stc=1&d=1178494894

rrrr
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
What are ya gonna do about the pink pinstriping and interior, Detective Crockett? :D :crossx:

Jbb
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
What are ya gonna do about the pink pinstriping and interior, Detective Crockett? :D :crossx:
Embrace it....:D

Boozer
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
So you just wet the surface and sand away? I need to try this.
I am finally gettin around to making the boat pretty again....The gel has tons of water marks ....sun damage ...and general ugliness that the buffer alone wont restore.....
I used something on it today that I have been using with great success on paintwork that I buff
Its a foam pad that fits a 6"..3/32" stroke D/A sander that has 4000 grit bonded to it.I use this right before I buff paint to remove 2000 grit scratches on my paint work....and it actually starts to shine up the paint while removing scratches.I didnt think It would be rough enough for gel restoration.
I was wrong! I was able to remove all the oxidation stains chalkiness and damage .....it left the surface virtually scratch free, level...and shiney....with just a very slight haze ...which buffs off in one pass,and looks shiney as new with a milder compound than I would ever use on gelcoat....
Glad I tried it! The old Eliminator will look new once again
More to come...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30253&stc=1&d=1178494894
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30254&stc=1&d=1178494894

Jbb
05-06-2007, 04:17 PM
So you just wet the surface and sand away? I need to try this.
Obviously the surface must be freshly washed and rinsed....it is designed to use wet.........wet the surface... sand away....as the slurry builds up I dip the pad in to a bucket of clean water ...and get back at it...

boatsnblondes
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
But the pink pinstripes are so GAY.....:D

Jbb
05-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Ok here she is .....wet sanded with 4000 grit....and rinsed...no buffing yet...thats tomorrows project......You can see it has a shine ...no more wax dullness or water spots.....just flat level ready to buff gel...with just a very slight haze from the sanding process......More tomorrow...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30648&stc=1&d=1178840791
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30649&stc=1&d=1178840608
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30650&stc=1&d=1178840608

Sleek-Jet
05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Holy Shit!!!
The grass is green... :D

Jordy
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
You missed some pink spots... :D :D :D

Jbb
05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I should have known better...:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Are they like a regular stickit pad?

Jbb
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Are they like a regular stickit pad?
Similar....they stick to a velcro backing pad on the D/A....they are 1/4" thick foam

Tom Brown
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I've been thinking about a 3/32" orbit DA. Do you suppose I should go for hook and loop for foam pad media that finer work requires?
What about lower grits? It would be nice if there was 1200, 1500, and 2000?

Jbb
05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I've been thinking about a 3/32" orbit DA. Do you suppose I should go for hook and loop for foam pad media that finer work requires?
What about lower grits? It would be nice if there was 1200, 1500, and 2000?
The short stroke d/a was designed primarily for sanding clear prior to buffing ..It can be used with either the 3m system without foam or the Mirka foam system.....they are useless for body work.
I have both.....I still prefer hand sanding till I get to 2000 grit on cars....but both companies make their systems in grits from 800-4000

Jordy
05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I should have known better...:rolleyes:
Yes you should have, but you didn't. Dumbass. :notam: :D
RD Sux. :D :D :D

Jbb
05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Yes you should have, but you didn't. Dumbass. :notam: :D
RD Sux. :D :D :D
:p

Chipster27
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Ok here she is .....wet sanded with 4000 grit....and rinsed...no buffing yet...thats tomorrows project......
Great job. I love detailing my stuff, it's so rewarding to sit back with a beverage of choice at the end of the day and see how great your stuff looks.
Looks outstanding!

Jbb
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Great job. I love detailing my stuff, it's so rewarding to sit back with a beverage of choice at the end of the day and see how great your stuff looks.
Looks outstanding!
Thanks ....Its nice to see the factory fades again... :D

98 Vector 21
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow..good job! I think the truck needs some love to! :D

Jbb
05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
You just rarely have time for your own stuff...:D

Jbb
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Well .....I was gonna post a pic of how nice it came out .......and just as soon as I got done drying it .....a monster thunderstorm rolled in....first rain we have seen in weeks.......:D .....nice....Hopefully a big tree wont fall on it....:)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Looking good Brian! I love your 21 footer. They ride like cadillacs! What kind of speeds are you seeing in that hull?
How much are those pads?

Jbb
05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Looking good Brian! I love your 21 footer. They ride like cadillacs! What kind of speeds are you seeing in that hull?
How much are those pads?
High 90's @12 lbs boost....still working on the setup....
superbuff pads are about $20 ...and you use both sides....foam pads are about $25 for two

Just foreplay
05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Sweet heads up, Looks great..

Dave C
05-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info JBB.
damn I didn't know you can get 4000 grit pads for the DA.
what exactly did you buff it with???

Jbb
05-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info JBB.
After 4000 grit sanding...I washed it...and between all steps its washed ...I buffed with 3m super duty with a superbuff wool pad...after that I switched to a white foam pad ...and ran over it with Rolite mild compound....[Its called pre cleaner....good stuff]...and then switched to a black foam pad and applied a coat of terminator teflon paint sealant...which works great on fiberglass.....I was afraid of more rain....and having no where to put it inside as all my shops are full at home...I took it back to my building at the lake .....once inside I went over it by hand with Dri Wash & guard........and it looks like a new penny......now when I pull out ...a quick wipedown with a damp rag leaves everything...including the transom bright and shiney agin ..in about 5 minutes...

Baja Big Dog
05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Ok here she is .....wet sanded with 4000 grit....and rinsed...no buffing yet...thats tomorrows project......You can see it has a shine ...no more wax dullness or water spots.....just flat level ready to buff gel...with just a very slight haze from the sanding process......More tomorrow...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30648&stc=1&d=1178840791
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30649&stc=1&d=1178840608
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30650&stc=1&d=1178840608
Brian...the boats looks great, hopefully everyone reads the part about the 3/32" stroke DA...and take note the a regular DA with the same media will raise hell on the gell....
But thats besides the point, and enough about the boat..........was that PINK primer on the truck next to the boat????:idea:

AZJD
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
WOW, real nice shine and a great looking boat!
But let's see what you can do with the Ford Ranger in the background!:devil:

RiverDave
05-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Brian called a few places about a cover for ya... No dice without the boat actually being here. :(
RD

Jbb
05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Brian called a few places about a cover for ya... No dice without the boat actually being here. :(
RD
Thanks for checking ......I had a feeling they would say that....Guess Im gonna have to move....:(

Jbb
05-14-2007, 11:59 AM
But thats besides the point, and enough about the boat..........was that PINK primer on the truck next to the boat????:idea:
Indeed.....:D
PPG NCP 250......great primer........pink color....:p

Dave C
05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
great job!!
After 4000 grit sanding...I washed it...and between all steps its washed ...I buffed with 3m super duty with a superbuff wool pad...after that I switched to a white foam pad ...and ran over it with Rolite mild compound....[Its called pre cleaner....good stuff]...and then switched to a black foam pad and applied a coat of terminator teflon paint sealant...which works great on fiberglass.....I was afraid of more rain....and having no where to put it inside as all my shops are full at home...I took it back to my building at the lake .....once inside I went over it by hand with Dri Wash & guard........and it looks like a new penny......now when I pull out ...a quick wipedown with a damp rag leaves everything...including the transom bright and shiney agin ..in about 5 minutes...

Dave C
05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
great job!! You ain't anywhere near as useless as Brown says you are....

Jbb
05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
You ain't anywhere near as useless as Brown says you are....
Well.....there are pretty valid arguments on both sides of that statement....:p
Brown is a hater.....:D

SummitKarl
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey Brian, thought I would share my results with you, I tried for over a year to get a lasting shine out of my boat (no clear gel on it just color), it would last about 2hrs up to 2 days depending on the heat/direct sun and what product, well I got fed up and and decided to hit the boat hard, I bought the Turtle wax rubbing compound, it just happens to be the same reddish/brown color as my boat....I hit hard with my 12" buffer although it came up clean the boat still had that oxidized/faded look to the color..so I figured I would stay with the Turtle wax products and try their "Hard shell" wax....BINGO!!! it's been two weeks now (uncovered in the sun) and two trips in the drink with just a damp towel wipe down...and still a perfect shine and deep rich color, in fact just as good as the engine hatch which a had sanded with 1200 and cleared a few weeks back. so go figure I try all the high dollar stuff and a $2 can of rubbing compound and a $4 can of wax was the ticket for my boat.....
a couple of other things I found along the way...interior cleaner..to be found at the auto section of walmart "super clean" in a purple 1 gal container = $6 follow the directions = dilute 8:1...scrub away...OMG...my seats have never been so white and follow up with Turtle wax F21 protectant for a non greasy finish (unlike armor all) my seats feel real soft almost like "ultra leather" feels
anyways thats what I found for "Sunday gel coat"

Jbb
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey Brian, thought I would share my results with you, I tried for over a year to get a lasting shine out of my boat (no clear gel on it just color), it would last about 2hrs up to 2 days depending on the heat/direct sun and what product, well I got fed up and and decided to hit the boat hard, I bought the Turtle wax rubbing compound, it just happens to be the same reddish/brown color as my boat....I hit hard with my 12" buffer although it came up clean the boat still had that oxidized/faded look to the color..so I figured I would stay with the Turtle wax products and try their "Hard shell" wax....BINGO!!! it's been two weeks now (uncovered in the sun) and two trips in the drink with just a damp towel wipe down...and still a perfect shine and deep rich color, in fact just as good as the engine hatch which a had sanded with 1200 and cleared a few weeks back. so go figure I try all the high dollar stuff and a $2 can of rubbing compound and a $4 can of wax was the ticket for my boat.....
a couple of other things I found along the way...interior cleaner..to be found at the auto section of walmart "super clean" in a purple 1 gal container = $6 follow the directions = dilute 8:1...scrub away...OMG...my seats have never been so white and follow up with Turtle wax F21 protectant for a non greasy finish (unlike armor all) my seats feel real soft almost like "ultra leather" feels
anyways thats what I found for "Sunday gel coat"
Nice ...I like success stories....:)

SOCALDETAIL1
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info JBB.
Yup colorsanding does wonders. 3m makes a good compound to remove 1500-2000 sanding marks.