PDA

View Full Version : Who else rolls the dice with NO spare?

justfloatn
05-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm on my third boat and have never had a spare. Just got bit on the way home yesterday. Three hour ordeal. Ordering a spare and mount today. I notice a lot of trailers in the parking lots without a spare and was wondering how many others roll the dice.

Opinionated
05-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Been there, done that. IT SUCKS!!!! Lost one on the way to lake mead one year at 11:00 PM between Barstow and Baker.

havaduner
05-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Carry spare on the trailer. When I tow I have a floor jack in the back of the truck, carry a good lug wrench in the truck as well. Seems to me that if you go prepared, you most likely wont need to use it. If you do, its no big deal. I also carry a spare prop in the boat, figuring that way I'll never ding the one I am running.

wsuwrhr
05-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Take the tire off and chain up the axle.
If you have a single axle trailer, you better have a spare.

rrrr
05-07-2007, 07:32 AM
No way I'd roll without one. Last trip we took to Oklahoma my @#!)(*&$ piece of shit trailer shredded both tires on the brake axle, one going up and one coming back. First one was no problemo, second one had to leave wife and boat beside the road and go find a Walmart in Podunk, OK for a replacement. Took a couple of hours.
The disc brakes are effed up but that's another story. Anyway, it's cheap peace of mind. I even carry a small floor jack and a cordless impact when we go places. I can change a tire in 15 minutes and be rolling again.

voodooCanoe
05-07-2007, 07:33 AM
No spare, but I do have a good chain and jack to strap up a axle if I need to.

Partycattin
05-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Had a run of blowouts for awhile.
Now I have 2 spares.

justfloatn
05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Yea, I did the jack and strap trick.
But found the weight of this boat was too much for one axle and the tire rubbed on the fender. Had to find a chunk of wood and shove it between the frame and axle to hold it up and get off the freeway.

TRUMP TIGHT
05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm on my third boat and have never had a spare. Just got bit on the way home yesterday. Three hour ordeal. Ordering a spare and mount today. I notice a lot of trailers in the parking lots without a spare and was wondering how many others roll the dice.
The boat has a spare but both of my cars have flat spares!:)

RitcheyRch
05-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Dont have a spare mounted to the trailer but carry the spare in the back of the truck. I check air pressure before each trip even though not really necessary since run Nitrogen in all my tires.

Old school Ultra
05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I always have a spare, or two....But you loose a spindle and hub they have a thingy that slides over the bad spindle and you mount your tire to it.... I'll try to get the name,
If you have a torsion axle you don't need to tie it up.

707dog
05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
make sure you put a lock lug on your spare also...the dude that dont have one might after he walks past your trailer!!

dumbandyoung
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I learned that lesson the hard way last Labor Day weekend. I got a flat with no spare on the 40 in Newberry Springs at 11pm on a Friday. :(
We waited almost 6 hours for a service truck to come mount a new tire on. I am very lucky that a drunk driver didnt hit us. It cost me about $400, plus the $60 for the new tire at Walmart in Barstow. And after all that we still didnt get up to the house till 8:30 am with no sleep.
I will never go through that desert again without a spare.

justfloatn
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I learned that lesson the hard way last Labor Day weekend. I got a flat with no spare on the 40 in Newberry Springs at 11pm on a Friday. :(
We waited almost 6 hours for a service truck to come mount a new tire on. I am very lucky that a drunk driver didnt hit us. It cost me about $400, plus the $60 for the new tire at Walmart in Barstow. And after all that we still didnt get up to the house till 8:30 am with no sleep.
I will never go through that desert again without a spare.
Thanks for jumping in. I was starting to think I was the only D.A. on the planet.:D :D

HalletDave
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Two trailer spares in the back of the truck :idea: and I check the air pressure before every trip.

rrrr
05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for jumping in. I was starting to think I was the only D.A. on the planet.:D :D
Dumbandyoung is the Southwest area representative for the Dumbass Society. :crossx: :crossx: :D

Dave C
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't understand why they are not standard equipment. I have always had to buy one.
I always carry one.

78Eliminator
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Always travel with a real floor jack and a spare. There is no reason not to take a spare with you.

78Eliminator
05-07-2007, 09:55 AM
In a couple weeks I am getting new wheels and tires for my trailer. That means I will have 4 extra wheels and tires. The tires are a bit rotten, but they will get you down the road in an emergency. I will sell each tire and wheel for $35, but you gotta come pick them up. They are in Vista, CA. Send me a pm if you want one.

dumbandyoung
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I had my buddy, my dog and 3 chicks in the truck. Lets just say I felt like an idiot. haha

rrrr
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I had my buddy, my dog and 3 chicks in the truck. Lets just say I felt like an idiot. haha
LOL, nothing like a flat tire and no spare to lower your manliness rating with the girls.....:D :D

mdunn01
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
I tell you what...never agian with no spare, I learned the hard way last summer on the I40 about 25 miles from the Walmart in Barstow. Even having AAA, it would have cost me alot of cash. So what did I do on my tandem trailer..straped the axel up, move the tires around and drove all the way to Cucamonga on 3 tires. Thank god for the motorcycle tie down i carried !!
Mike

phebus
05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Where was grandma? :)

DeltaSigBoater
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Dont have a spare mounted on the trailer, I figure its just another thing for some crackhead to steal. But when I do tow, I just throw the spare in the boat w/ all the proper tools.

hoolign
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Always have a spare, I just huck it in the truck box. A can of fix a flat foam has gotten me outta a few binds.

boat boy
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Always carried a spare, my problem has been axles. Lost one last year coming home from Mead on I-40, 8 hours later finally got home. 2 trips later to LH, after all bearings were reworked along with a new axle, lost a bearing. Sat at the side of the road all night.

dumbandyoung
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Where was grandma? :)
hahaha! I spit water out my mouth.
LOL, nothing like a flat tire and no spare to lower your manliness rating with the girls.....:D :D
Yah i felt kinda dumb. Luckily they were pretty cool about it. They watched Big Lebowski and Shrek 2 in the back seat. haha..thank heavens for in car tv

Rod-64
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
If you run Carlisle tires...........carry 2 spares!!:mad:

Ziggy
05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Always have a spare, can of fix-a-flat, jack, lugwrench and a tie strap....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-07-2007, 12:33 PM
We always carry two spares. My parents lost 3 tires (Carlisles) one trip due to the heat on the road and the brand of tire.
We've lost one on the way there and one on the way home before.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Ya gotta lock your spare too.
Ya get people with no spare out in the desert in the middle of the night and they are desperate when the blowout(s) occur(s), hit the campgrounds/boat parking ect and rip off a spare.
See it all the time at Emerald cove.
We're ordering a new Extreme trailer with our new boat and it will have two spares,,, locked.

TahitiTiger
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I have a single axle trailer. When I bought it, it had a spare tire which I litterally torch off the trailer it was rusted on so bad. I have yet to replace it, so knock on wood no issues. :)
BTW I bought my car used, and it has no spare tire as well. Obsolete by GM (doughnut with weird offset), and very hard to find in the wreckers.

Sleek-Jet
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Always have a spare, can of fix-a-flat, jack, lugwrench and a tie strap....
I do too.... at least now I do ... :D
Spent a long hot afternoon at a rest area west of Phoenix while a spare go brought out to me... old dry rotted tire finally let loose due to the road temps. What I should have done is stop at the river on the way back from Cali and enjoyed a nice afternoon on the water. Road temps would have been down by the time I got any farther.
The next day, I was down at discount getting 4 new tires and a spare. Leason learned.

Throttle
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Carry spare on the trailer. When I tow I have a floor jack in the back of the truck, carry a good lug wrench in the truck as well. Seems to me that if you go prepared, you most likely wont need to use it. If you do, its no big deal. I also carry a spare prop in the boat, figuring that way I'll never ding the one I am running.
that right there is bull shiat...
same here...

YeLLowBoaT
05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
or you could just drive a older ford pick up... its the same patern.

AZKC
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
2 spares for us. Spent a long night once when the tire blew causing the other tire to leak. And having only one spare:mad:

SUBPRIME
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok a couple questions on the trailer subject...
1. I have a spare on the trailer, I always try to be over prepared, so it sounds like I should get another spare....
but I'm assuming that the truck jack will not work on the trailer? Does everyone carry an extra jack??? Is the boat too heavy for the car jack? my truck is a suburban and thier heavy as shit so I would think they'd put a decent jack with it???

MR.rvrluvr
05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I have a spare but It's only 1/4 mile from Cambell storage to windsor launch ramp so I doubt I will use it...:D

plaster dave
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Yea, I did the jack and strap trick.
But found the weight of this boat was too much for one axle and the tire rubbed on the fender. Had to find a chunk of wood and shove it between the frame and axle to hold it up and get off the freeway.
You mean like this. My boat is 4000 lbs. and I drove from Barstow to L.A. like this about 6 weeks ago.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644IMG_0197-med.JPG

Dons_donzi
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
i'm pushing 8,000lbs and i just bought a spare for it (before i drug it here 2500 miles...)
what a way to ruin a boating trip by a blow out on the way out.
sucky sucky, and all the beer gets drunk on the side of the road. :eek:
they have a wheel bearing, spindle and hub set that is also a spare mount for the guys like me with screw in spindles... a whole package deal for like $250
but when you need it... PRICELESS.
any troubles with posi-lube spindles.....???? i love mine... pushes out the old lube from back to front... good stuff.

Wild Horses
05-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Ok a couple questions on the trailer subject...
1. I have a spare on the trailer, I always try to be over prepared, so it sounds like I should get another spare....
but I'm assuming that the truck jack will not work on the trailer? Does everyone carry an extra jack??? Is the boat too heavy for the car jack? my truck is a suburban and thier heavy as shit so I would think they'd put a decent jack with it???
It will lift it, it is just not as efficient as a floor jack. My Dodge jack will lift up my Scarab with know problems, and it is heavy!

justfloatn
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
You mean like this. My boat is 4000 lbs. and I drove from Barstow to L.A. like this about 6 weeks ago.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644IMG_0197-med.JPG
That's about it.
:D I can picture the James Bond smoke screen comming off that thing, you melted the paint off the fender.:D

71tahiti
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I use one of those ramps that you pull the good tire up on and then change the bad one. This only works with a tandom axle, but is WAY better than a bottle jack.. under 50$..
LOL Once you have had your wheel come off or start smoking...YOUR NEVER THE SAME!!!!! Nervous as a burglar!!!!:D

RaceFace
05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I carried around a spare for years for my first boat.....come to find out years after that boat was gone that the bolt pattern was wrong!!!
Fortunately I was "testing" it on my motorcycle trailer and found that out in my driveway!!!!
I am very anal about spares, cans of fix-a-flat, and the correct lug wrenches. I have heard too many horror stories.

Boozer
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Not only do I carry a spare tire I also carry a spare hub. That spare tire won't do you any good if the whole wheel and hub go rollin down the highway in front of you.

CMac
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
OH YA, Spare and working on a second spare. Also cary NASCAR aluminum jack, grease gun, bearing buddy, air compressor, jump starter, 3/4" breaker bar for the truck. Funny thing, no spare for the truck, Yet.
But with F rated 12 ply 19.5" retreadable Conti's, I dont worry much.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/cmacci/9.jpg

Xlration Marine
05-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Take the tire off and chain up the axle.
If you have a single axle trailer, you better have a spare.
I would do that if I had a flat. Sho would get a bunch of people going by and telling you that your tire was flat. Heck my tires are going on 14 years old.

plaster dave
05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
That's about it.
:D I can picture the James Bond smoke screen comming off that thing, you melted the paint off the fender.:D
This is the before. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644IMG_0197-med.JPG
This it now but with chrome fenders. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644IMG_0200-med.JPG

centerhill condor
05-12-2007, 01:30 AM
the wife rolls with no jack! drives me nuts...but hey she's got all that good luck!?
as for no spare for the trailer, we keep the condor at the marina! no trailering no truck and boat is already on the water, baby!