PDA

View Full Version : Sobriety check point at Kathrine Landing true or not true

Wmc
05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Heard about a check point at Kathrine's on the water let me know

BoatFloating
05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Heard about a check point at Kathrine's on the water let me know
True, they do one ever time during this time of year.

Sanger D
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I sure hope so!!!!!!

Wmc
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
someone told me it takes 2hr to go through the line then you can take your boat off the water

BoatFloating
05-08-2007, 08:59 AM
someone told me it takes 2hr to go through the line then you can take your boat off the water
It's a mess at that launch ramp area without it so ya I can see that.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Cottonwood cove DUI checkpoints too.
Used to see it at Katherines often.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Don't drink and drive and the checkpoint will not be an issue. ;)

Wmc
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
it's not that it's the wait time. Also I'm a Parker kind of guy, a friend was asking and I said I know just the place to get the answer

1 Baja Guy
05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I have been stopped there and they checked everybody on the boat including Mom and Dad both over 75 ... Kinda takes the fun out of a weekend. I know its a safety issue .. but come on....:D

Wmc
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I have been stopped there and they checked everybody on the boat including Mom and Dad both over 75 ... Kinda takes the fun out of a weekend. I know its a safety issue .. but come on....:D
How long did it take to get off the water?

USCFAN
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
What is the reason for testing everyone on the boat? You mean to tell me you can't drink as a passenger?:confused:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-08-2007, 09:53 AM
it's not that it's the wait time. Also I'm a Parker kind of guy, a friend was asking and I said I know just the place to get the answer
Oh, my bad! :D ;)
See you in Parker!

dumbandyoung
05-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I was stopped at one 2 years ago. They had 2 sea-doos with blue and red lights on them directing you to the docks where they check you. It took even longer because they made my friends brother and his buddy get off and do more testing. Which was retarded because they wernt operating anything. From when we checked into the DUI check point from when we finally got the boat on the trailer, I would say it took 2 hours. Oh and they look at you pulling into Kathrine's with binoculars, so dont even think about switching drivers if you see them.

Hallett19
05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Amen

DILLIGAF
05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Every year the weekend prior to Memorial they usually have a complete checkpoint. Every vessel coming in is checked. It may be this weekend though as someone told me that. It will definitly be on a Saturday. Next weekend I will be out with my GF and her friends on the water so I may have to go through it also.

dumbandyoung
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Every year the weekend prior to Memorial they usually have a complete checkpoint. Every vessel coming in is checked. It may be this weekend though as someone told me that. It will definitly be on a Saturday. Next weekend I will be out with my GF and her friends on the water so I may have to go through it also.
Tom you gonna be up Memorial Day weekend? You down to hit Mohave or Topac on Saturday?

DILLIGAF
05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I am not sure if I will be out or not but if I am my boat will be in the water at Katherines so it would be Mohave for me. I more than likely won't be going into Gasoline Ally simply because it will be too much for me to manuever thru there after it gets crowded. Possibly I would be in the back of the cove early in the AM and just hang out all day until dark. As you can tell I am not sure right now...lol
I will be out next weekend with my gf and her friends though.

dumbandyoung
05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I am not sure if I will be out or not but if I am my boat will be in the water at Katherines so it would be Mohave for me. I more than likely won't be going into Gasoline Ally simply because it will be too much for me to manuever thru there after it gets crowded. Possibly I would be in the back of the cove early in the AM and just hang out all day until dark. As you can tell I am not sure right now...lol
I will be out next weekend with my gf and her friends though.
Cool. Ill be up thursday thru Monday, Im bring my buddy and his gf and a few of her friends. Ill probably head down to Topac to meet some friends from Havi on Friday. I do want to hit up Mohave one of the days. Give me a call when you decide if your going or not. We can plan a day to meet up. Im definatly up for hanging around gasoline alley for the day.

DILLIGAF
05-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Cool. Ill be up thursday thru Monday, Im bring my buddy and his gf and a few of her friends. Ill probably head down to Topac to meet some friends from Havi on Friday. I do want to hit up Mohave one of the days. Give me a call when you decide if your going or not. We can plan a day to meet up. Im definatly up for hanging around gasoline alley for the day.
Sounds good......

HALLETT BOY
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
If it's windy, do they still conduct the checks ?? I can't see boats blowing all over the place waiting to be inspected...

DeltaSigBoater
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Two reasons for checking everyone on the boat that come to mind:
Someone sober has to go get the tow vechile & trailer and drive to the launch ramp. Granted the driver of the vessel can do both, however as we all know it just backs up people trying to get off the water.
They are making sure that individuals; friends, parents, & etc. are not contributing to the delinquency of minors, by allowing them to consume alcohol. I cannot recall what the penalty is for allowing a minor to drink, but I think it's pretty sever.
In one way I'm glad they do this, keeps all the hot headed douchebags who think they're God's gift to the boating community in check. But on the other hand 2 hours to get off the water come on.
Does anybody know how late they stay out there checking?

DILLIGAF
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
If I remember correctly the checkpoint is around 1 or 2P till about 5P.
They use a lot of resources to do this and I am sure would still go thru with it regardless of the wind or not.
BHC, Mohave County, NPS, Nevada and others will be working together.
Call it what it is...A DUI checkpoint and not a safety chckpoint. Safety checkpoints should be done BEFORE the boats are launched.
Either way....I like the fact they do them and also publicize them BEFORE they are done. Just don't like how they present it to the public.

Captain Dan
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Either way....I like the fact they do them and also publicize them BEFORE they are done. Just don't like how they present it to the public.
Any publicity on this coming weekend at Mohave?

ratso
05-08-2007, 01:12 PM
If I remember correctly the checkpoint is around 1 or 2P till about 5P.
They use a lot of resources to do this and I am sure would still go thru with it regardless of the wind or not.
BHC, Mohave County, NPS, Nevada and others will be working together.
Call it what it is...A DUI checkpoint and not a safety chckpoint. Safety checkpoints should be done BEFORE the boats are launched.
LOL... Exactly!;)

Pheelin Phroggy
05-08-2007, 06:52 PM
We got pulled in one last year at katherines, they had about 15 LEO's there, checked life jackets and fire extinguisher, asked me how much I had to drink (I dont drink and drive), they said thanks, I said thanks and I was on my way.. took about 20 minutes. Cool part was that they had so many rude, obnoxious drunks in their holding area that it only took about ten minutes to retrieve the boat (launch ramp was almost empty).

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
from what i can remember. They have been doing that check point for a while now.:)

Coach
05-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Why do they do it the weekend before Memorial Day? Why not on a major weekend or random times of the year?

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Why do they do it the weekend before Memorial Day? Why not on a major weekend or random times of the year?
not enough jail space.:jawdrop: :D
no joke.. they should have it a few times a month.:D

RaceFace
05-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I pulled into Windsor several years back and they were on the ramp checking. I think it was a random deal. They were just watching to see if any body was really screwed up. I was trailering a 21' jet and pulled in on the first shot and locked it on. As they were watching me, very carefully I might add, there was a Cambell that was sideways over his fenders trying to trailer his boat. They ended up following that lead. Not sure what happened. We never stopped to wipe the boat down....we just bailed. :eek:

shueman
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
If everyone practiced Safe & Sensible Boating, their wouldn't be a need to worry about these random checks...:rolleyes:

Boatcop
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Check-points are pretty man-power intensive. They usually bring in extra Officers from other parts of the State/County.
On the major weekends, those Officers need to be in their primary areas. The rest have to be out on the water, where high visibility is desired.
There are also several areas around the State where they hold them, on different weekends throughout the Season. Mohave just happens to come out first on the list.
The fact that 3 of the State's deaths occurred on Mohave, and 2 of those from alcohol, has a lot to do with them trying to get the word out early in that area.