PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe...

Jbb
02-09-2006, 03:55 AM
The ultimate? (http://www.sonicsrv.com/admanager/click.php?id=169&action=4)

Tom Brown
02-09-2006, 07:45 AM
I'll bet that's the same stuff DCB uses as a wallet remover for men. :idea:

HCS
02-09-2006, 07:57 AM
They need to serve that up at the local bars. :idea:

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 08:25 AM
That stuff is bunk. My freinds and I bought two bottles of the good stuff ($200 per) we were all careful and using the little spoons and sugar and chilled water and stuff and probably drank 3-4 shots a piece over some time... didn't know what to expect and all. But we got bored of the terrible anise taste (really, really strong black licorice) and called it a night.
So a week or so later, we were bound and determined to see something out of this, so we started just doing shots to our face. All we ended up was drunk. No panties removed... at least no more than Tequila would have done in the same dosage, and it had the added benefit of making your burps smell like burning hair for the next day or so.
Invest in beer. Proven.
I still have most of a bottle left. Give it hell next time you are over... you be the judge.

NOTALENT
02-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I have been trying to find some locally. I found a few places online that will ship discretly online, but I wouldnt trust that. A buddy goes to london every few month's. I should have him smuggle me a bottle..lol

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I have been trying to find some locally. I found a few places online that will ship discretly online, but I wouldnt trust that. A buddy goes to london every few month's. I should have him smuggle me a bottle..lol
It isn't illegal to have, just to sell here. We ordered it from overseas with exactly zero drama.

Sleek-Jet
02-09-2006, 08:45 AM
we were bound and determined to see something out of this, so we started just doing shots to our face. All we ended up was drunk. No panties removed...
Anyone else find it odd that Froggy was sitting around drinking Absinthe with his buddies, wearing panties?? :D :crossx: :D :D

NOTALENT
02-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Anyone else find it odd that Froggy was sitting around drinking Absinthe with his buddies, wearing panties?? :D :crossx: :D :D
haha ouch....expecting them to drop panties maybe..... :crossx: :D J/k Wes...I still want a ride someday....dont hold me to this... :rollside:

carreraboat
02-09-2006, 08:53 AM
In the late 20th century, espressos and caffe lattes became available on every urban street corner. In late 19th-century Paris, absinthe was the favored drink of artists and writers. Some say addiction to the emerald-green liqueur drove Vincent Van Gogh to take his own life. Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, and Pablo Picasso all painted absinthe drinkers, capturing both the drink's popularity and its dark side.
Although widely banned, absinthe is still available in some countries. Its drinkers usually dilute the green liqueur with water, turning it milky white.
Doctors at the time recognized that absinthe can cause convulsions, hallucinations, and psychotic behavior. Now, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley and Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago have learned how the drink's toxic component wreaks its neurological effects.
They found that the toxin, alpha-thujone, blocks brain receptors for gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA. Without access to GABA, a natural inhibitor of nerve impulses, neurons fire too easily and their signaling goes out of control.
"This paper is very important because it gives the biochemical mechanism for toxicity," says biochemist Wilfred Niels Arnold of the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City.
Berkeley researchers Karin M. Höld, Nilantha S. Sirisoma, and John E. Casida collaborated on the study with Tomoko Ikeda and Toshio Narahashi of Northwestern. The group's results, reported this week at the American Chemical Society meeting in San Francisco, will appear in the April 11 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Scientists had documented thujone's effects by 1916, but "nobody had ever figured out exactly where the toxin was working," says Höld. She and her colleagues conducted tests on fruit flies, mice, and rat neurons to connect alpha-thujone to GABA receptors. They also examined how animals' liver enzymes break down the compound.
Despite doctors' warnings about the dangers of absinthe, the beverage became very popular, especially in France. Between 1905 and 1913, Belgium, Switzerland, the United States, and Italy cracked down, banning the liqueur. France followed in 1915.
In some countries, notably the Czech Republic, absinthe is still available, albeit in a less potent form. Old absinthe contained about 260 parts per million of alpha-thujone, says Arnold. "Present-day absinthe generally has less than 10 parts per million," he says, which is below the maximum concentration permitted by European beverage guidelines. In today's absinthe, "the most toxic compound is the alcohol," quips Arnold.
Alpha-thujone comes from the herb wormwood, which flavors absinthe. Although few people now drink the liqueur, "a lot of herbal preparations are available on-line, and one is wormwood oil," says Höld. People have used this oil since antiquity to treat digestive disorders. The alpha-thujone concentration in the oil is much higher than in absinthe and is a greater potential health concern, says Höld.
Research into absinthe waned after its prohibition, Arnold notes. However, these new results reveal potential uses for alpha-thujone. "A lot of insecticides work on GABA receptors," notes Höld.
Another group at Berkeley is planning to study long-term effects of the compound in rodents, she adds. That work may provide important information for modern-day absinthe drinkers who ingest low toxin doses over a lifetime.

Jbb
02-09-2006, 08:55 AM
:p :p :p :p

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Old absinthe contained about 260 parts per million of alpha-thujone, says Arnold. "Present-day absinthe generally has less than 10 parts per million," he says, which is below the maximum concentration permitted by European beverage guidelines. In today's absinthe, "the most toxic compound is the alcohol," quips Arnold.
Figures. I am telling you, it is bunk. No "crazier" than Sambuca, and about the same pallet.
If I am forced to take the bottles of liquor I have in my cupboard and make a molotov coctail out of one... the first one to go is that crappy bottle of bunk abysinthe.

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 08:59 AM
You said buddies, I said freinds. One guy, three women. ;)

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow... double post. Haven't done that in a while...

superdave013
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
some cheep Mad Dog 20/20 always seemed to work pretty good. :crossx:

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
some cheep Mad Dog 20/20 always seemed to work pretty good. :crossx:
Yeah, but the only thing you "see" on MD 20/20 is cheap women... Wait... they might actually be there...

BajaMike
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Figures. I am telling you, it is bunk. No "crazier" than Sambuca, and about the same pallet.
If I am forced to take the bottles of liquor I have in my cupboard and make a molotov coctail out of one... the first one to go is that crappy bottle of bunk abysinthe.
Oh..... :idea:
Froggy might be "forced into making molotov cocktails" :rollside:
Watch out Jack Bauer.....
:D :D :D

superdave013
02-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, but the only thing you "see" on MD 20/20 is cheap women... Wait... they might actually be there...
well cheap women were always fun. :p

pjones
02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
and it had the added benefit of making your burps smell like burning hair for the next day or so.
I'm not too sure i'd be thrilled about this little after effect........? :eek:

Stingray69
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
It is bunk. A scam.
BUT, if you can, get the uzo from overseas. The tell the sailors not to drink it.
My B.I.L. brought some back, and it is wicked. Laced with opium, I think. Has the anise taste, but you put it on ice, it turns white, and they call it 'Tigers Milk'.
3-4 shots on ice, and you're on heavy downers.

spectratoad
02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Froggystyle
we were bound and determined to see something out of this, so we started just doing shots to our face. All we ended up was drunk. No panties removed...
So Wes, what was the reason you got out of the Navy for???? :) :cool: :)
Yes they always said that the Uzo was off limits when I was overseas in the Navy.

Froggystyle
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Froggystyle
So Wes, what was the reason you got out of the Navy for???? :) :cool: :)
Yes they always said that the Uzo was off limits when I was overseas in the Navy.
You don't ask... I won't tell.