PDA

View Full Version : Why is it illegal to back up your purchased movies?

Invisible Sun
05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't get it. I've purchased the movie. With that, comes the right to make sure that I've secured my investment. I'm not talking sharing, I just want to make sure that I don't have to repurchase the same movies over again. Besides, I only want to make a compressed version so I can use my portable media (ipod) to watch them. It's not technically a copy if it doesn't have all the features or quality of the original. What the F:confused:ck

ULTRA26 # 1
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't get it. I've purchased the movie. With that, comes the right to make sure that I've secured my investment. I'm not talking sharing, I just want to make sure that I don't have to repurchase the same movies over again. Besides, I only want to make a compressed version so I can use my portable media (ipod) to watch them. It's not technically a copy if it doesn't have all the features or quality of the original. What the F:confused:ck
I didn't think that it was, as long as the copy isn't sold

syke-o
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
what software do you use then??? the software i had used to let me copy movies, but the new software on the movies wont let me do it..

Invisible Sun
05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
what software do you use then??? the software i had used to let me copy movies, but the new software on the movies wont let me do it..
I'm using handbrake on my Mac. There are a few movies that aren't able to be copied, but for the most part I've got about 98 movies and a few TV shows in my iTunes which I can watch on my Apple TV.

KLEPTOW
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
DVD Shrink 3.2 There is a few plug-in updates to get around the current encryption.

probablecause
05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
It is not illegal to backup your privately owned media. Just like it is not illegal to make your own music cd based on your music. Propietary rights remain intact for the owner. Ultra26 is correct; as long as you don't try to sell it.

Jyruiz
05-08-2007, 08:21 PM
The best software out there was DVD Express by 321Studio, but the studios sued them so much, that they had to go out of business because they ran out of money defending themselfs. The studios try to sue anybody who makes such software because they hide behind the ditigal copy protection. Back in the 80's it was ruled that it was ok to make a copy of ones video tape movies for backup purposes, but now the studios (music and movies) sue because DVD's and CD's are under the digital domain and the 80's verdict does not pertain to digital.
It is really messy but that is one reason they came out with DVI and now HDMI. Those are connections that do not allow one to make copies of DVD's, HD DVD's and Blue Ray Disc like one can from VCR to VCR.

mbrown2
05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
CloneDVD w/ ANYDVD decryption package is much better than DVDShrink 3.2 now. The guy that wrote DVDSHRINK is no longer supporting it, so it hasn't been updating in awhile. CloneDVD isn't free, but I've only found one title it wouldn't copy. Oh, you have to have AnyDVD bundled with it or it won't do decryption.
That's what I use....Slysoft makes all these products and they are always updating Anydvd with new decryption codes... Also, if you buy the bundle you can get Clonedvd portable to port your movies to the ipod.

Invisible Sun
05-08-2007, 10:13 PM
So how does this sound as a business proposition? I'll back up your movies for $1.50 a movie. You provide the media. Be it DVD, hard drive, or whatever. I make you sign a wavier that you provided the DVDs to me and I made lower resolution copies for your own personal enjoyment through your own personal portable media player. You solely would be reaponsible for not sharing your media and would not hold me accountable for your actions. Do you think that would fly? I've got plenty of time and computing power to make money at it. What do you think?

ultra26shadow
05-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Use Mac The Ripper program and I have never had a problem backin a dvd with that

ultra26shadow
05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Plus its a free download just like dvd shrink

ROZ
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
you can get Clonedvd portable to port your movies to the ipod.
Look at Mr. Brown watching movies on his ipod, and shit :D

HotDogz
05-09-2007, 05:48 AM
1 Click DVD Copy Pro with Slysofts AnyDvd has not failed to burn for me yet.:)

HocusPocus
05-09-2007, 06:53 AM
So how does this sound as a business proposition? I'll back up your movies for $1.50 a movie. You provide the media. Be it DVD, hard drive, or whatever. I make you sign a wavier that you provided the DVDs to me and I made lower resolution copies for your own personal enjoyment through your own personal portable media player. You solely would be reaponsible for not sharing your media and would not hold me accountable for your actions. Do you think that would fly? I've got plenty of time and computing power to make money at it. What do you think?
it doesn't sound like a bad idea but im sure as soon as some movie exec got wind of it, you would be in court fighting a lawsuit.
how long does it take to copy a dvd movie?

Baja Big Dog
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I think its a great idea, assuming that your legal team is larger than the music companies, you know BMG, Sony etc etc.
You can be guaranteed that your ass will be in court and you wont have the time to copy ANY DVD's.
You remember the old days of sharing music, you know Napster, and the comments that they will never be able to know I have copied music!!!

paradigm shift
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
CloneDVD w/ ANYDVD decryption package is much better than DVDShrink 3.2 now. The guy that wrote DVDSHRINK is no longer supporting it, so it hasn't been updating in awhile. CloneDVD isn't free, but I've only found one title it wouldn't copy. Oh, you have to have AnyDVD bundled with it or it won't do decryption.
Is this the type of package deal you are reffering to? DVD shrink has worked well as for copy write problems so far but I do not do a whole lot of it. Always looking for a better package that works!
http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html
Thanks