PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder/Video help

THOR
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Folks,
my mini dv camcorder took a dump and I am in need of a new one. Any of you have a suggestion of whether to get a DVD recorder or a recorder that utilizes a hard drive?
any and all suggestions would be great

Dons_donzi
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
hard drive.... not many moving parts... less to screw up.
no disc to buy (scratch) or NOT HAVE when you need one.
hmmmm.... always go with the most modern.
VHS vs DVD...? :idea:

BoatPI
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
It all depends on your budget. Avoid DVD units. Mini dv is great, but stick to 3CCD units. The new JVC hardrive units seem fine but I have not tried them yet.
Lover end units (mini dv) are at $600 by Panasonic. Sony HD stuff is ok, but not a miracle as the lens systems and electronics are dismal on zoom above the optical range. try to get 15x optical minium.
Or go for the good stuff like Panasonic AG-DVC-30, or Cannon GL-2. Both are about $1,900 to $2,200. I use two DVC-30's which have 16db gain for night use and is IR capable. Digital zoom is from about 440mm to 900mm.

HBjet
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Although the DVD ones are cool, I would stick with the MiniDV camcorders for right now. Just make sure your new one has a firewire connection for transfering video's to your laptop/PC/media center. The reason for staying with MiniDV is because the ones that record on to DVD do not allow you to record as much as MiniDV before you have to insert another disc. Even though camcorders will eventually be tapeless in a few years, I do not think the current models out are good enough to ditch the MiniDV option. I haven't checked into the hard drive models, but I do not believe the quality is as good as the miniDV right now.
Just my .02
HBjet

Jyruiz
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I would go hard drive only if you are going to transfer them to a DVD soon after, otherwise, start buying hard drives.
I still prefer the tapes because the video quality is better. DVD camcorders would be my last choice.

THOR
05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I would go hard drive only if you are going to transfer them to a DVD soon after, otherwise, start buying hard drives.
I still prefer the tapes because the video quality is better. DVD camcorders would be my last choice.
Wow.
I had no idea the DVD camcorders were that poorly thought of. I definitely dont want to start buying extra hard drives. Seems like one extra step that I dont want to do.

Jyruiz
05-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow.
I had no idea the DVD camcorders were that poorly thought of. I definitely dont want to start buying extra hard drives. Seems like one extra step that I dont want to do.
DVD camcorders have there place in the market, but they have more drawbacks then the HDD and MiniDV camcorders. Here is a good website to read about camcorders.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

SB
05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I have no interest in the hard drive stuff. You have to load it into your computer. That's an extra step I want to avoid. I would rather make my home movie, then set the tape or disc on the shelf until I want to watch it.

THOR
05-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Nice guys, thanks.

BoatPI
05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
this one will work well for your needs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AJ-HDX900-HD-Camcorder-Free-17-HD-Monitor_W0QQitemZ270117020574QQihZ017QQcategoryZ21 165QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yopengo
05-09-2007, 07:39 AM
DVD camcorders have there place in the market, but they have more drawbacks then the HDD and MiniDV camcorders. Here is a good website to read about camcorders.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
I researched HB, consumer reports and camcorderinfo.com and just got the Canon Elura 100 MiniDV (under $400). I was going for the DVD or HDD but they all got bad reviews. I figure I can keep it for a few years and upgrade. The video quality is great it has the fire wire port, tapes are at Costco cheap and it got better reviews than the Sonys and Panasonics. I like the size and for less than $400 I wont freak when it is on the boat.

Baja Big Dog
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
this one will work well for your needs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AJ-HDX900-HD-Camcorder-Free-17-HD-Monitor_W0QQitemZ270117020574QQihZ017QQcategoryZ21 165QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
26 grand with no lens or viewfinder, I was gonna buy it if had a lens!!!:mad: