PDA

View Full Version : Toyota's new BIG truck.

Stoneman
02-09-2006, 07:40 AM
http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2006020905598

2Driver
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Be nice to hear some HP and Torque numbers on it as well as rear gear numbers.
All things being equal I still try to buy American whenever possible

Stoneman
02-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Be nice to hear some HP and Torque numbers on it as well as rear gear numbers.
All things being equal I still try to buy American whenever possible
I agree! These trucks will be made by the folks in Texas. What do they know about pickup trucks anyway!

HCS
02-09-2006, 08:18 AM
looks like a damn Dodge. :idea:
http://tyt.tnpv.net/Image/2006/02/TYT2006020781522_PV.jpg

HCS
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Their even showing it in Daytona blue.
http://tyt.tnpv.net/Image/2006/02/TYT2006020771589_PV.jpg

jbtrailerjim
02-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Ugly just like the current Tundra. :yuk:

Jyruiz
02-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I agree.

bigq
02-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree! These trucks will be made by the folks in Texas. What do they know about pickup trucks anyway!
Yea, it's too bad the American trucks arn't actually made in America anymore. If you want to support American workers you need to buy a Toyota, BMW, Nissan and who else?

Liberator TJ1984
02-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Just hang a Set of those Fake " Bull Balls " under the rear bumper :p
and it will Sell :rolleyes: just like all the rest of the Dodge "goats" around here :yuk:

Dave C
02-09-2006, 09:02 AM
my chevy truck has one of those stickers on it. Made by the UAW in Michigan. :p

Havasu Cig
02-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Yea, it's too bad the American trucks arn't actually made in America anymore. If you want to support American workers you need to buy a Toyota, BMW, Nissan and who else?
My 04 2500 HD Chevy was built in the U.S.A. and so was the previous 2000, 2001, & 2003 Fords that I owned. Look in the door jam, or in the case of the Ford on the winshield, and it will say where it was built. You might be buying a truck built in the U.S.A. from Toyota but you are supporting a Japanese company. I will buy American.

rivercrazy
02-09-2006, 09:06 AM
From what I've heard the 5.7L V8 will put out about 350-380HP with a little over 400 foot pounds of torque. Damn near american big block numbers out of a small block. Lots of technology being utilized.
Based on new truck models that Toyota is introducing, the american truck makers better take note. Or they will continue to loose market share

cdog
02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Looks like a dodge only uglier. Kinda looks like a pissed off sumo wrestler.

HCS
02-09-2006, 09:11 AM
From what I've heard the 5.7L V8 will put out about 350-380HP with a little over 400 foot pounds of torque. Damn near american big block numbers out of a small block. Lots of technology being utilized.
Based on new truck models that Toyota is introducing, the american truck makers better take note. Or they will continue to loose market share
That's the truth. Their getting alot of HP out of those small V8's.

Havasu Cig
02-09-2006, 09:20 AM
They need to come out with a diesel, I would never go back to a gas motor. I will still buy American though. :)

Stoneman
02-09-2006, 09:27 AM
This will only help to make all trucks better. And the Diesel will be out in about 2-3 years.

ROZ
02-09-2006, 09:31 AM
As Toyota is now the number 1 vehicle MFG in the world, all of the American vehicle MFG's keep slipping down the list... In the future Toyota, Nissan, and Honda will likely employee more American workers than the USA's big 3...
Heck, I bet it's pretty close already...
BTW, there are plenty of american car parts made in other countries, to to me it kind of washes out.. Automotive is definitely a "world market"...
Aren't there American vehicles assembled in other parts of the world?
I'm pretty sure Toyota has a diesel, just not available here... My neighbor had a late 70's nissan or toy diesel. That dam truck was nearly indestructable.. kinda like that video someone posted about illing a toyota...lol

Biglue
02-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree. The domestic trucks are in a market that really didn't have to worry about the imports. But now with a 10K pound towing cap and HP and Torque numbers like this the domestic truck makers better start improving. Look at the truck itself, it looks like a domestic truck as far as styling. Ironic that our domestic automobile makers have started styling like the imports to compete with them.

2Driver
02-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Japanese have never been shy about copying others then adding precision enhancements and quality. Sort of use others as a stepping stone.
Toyota knew the 69 mustang was a very popular design in America long before the retro Mustang reappeared from Ford. Go look at the very successful 77 and 78 Toyota Celica it's almost and exact mini dupe of the 69.

Hardly Satisfied
02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Just a matter of time before they become #1 in truck sales, it might take another 7 or 8 years. I STILL LOVE MY FORD.

Stoneman
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Japanese have never been shy about copying others then adding precision enhancements and quality. Sort of use others as a stepping stone.
Toyota knew the 69 mustang was a very popular design in America long before the retro Mustang reappeared from Ford. Go look at the very successful 77 and 78 Toyota Celica it's almost and exact mini dupe of the 69.
I had a 76, first year the body style was close to the mustang. One of the best cars I ever owned.

ROZ
02-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Japanese have never been shy about copying others then adding precision enhancements and quality.
At a time when American automakers are all going retro.... sounds more like American automakers need new tallent in the design and marketing studios...
Sort of use others as a stepping stone.
Any good business does this, though... :rollside:

desertbird
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Right. My daddy built Camaros and Firebirds in Van Nuys until they moved the plant to Mexico.
My Silverado 1500 was built in Canada (as is most of them).
Meanwhile, Toyota has a HUGE presence in the American workforce. Hyundai, Honda and Toyota all have R&D facilities in California, and the American subsidiary American companies (Delco, etc.) are all going broke too. :rolleyes:
My New HD2500 is being built in Flint, MI (I think). :argue:

cdog
02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
My HD was built in Flint Mich. They even called to say thanks for buyin american and to ask how I liked the truck. They did the same with our Tahoe built in Texas or Lousianna. We love our American made Vehicles..

riverracerx
02-09-2006, 09:44 AM
BuFugly!

HCS
02-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I guess splashing is ok in the automotive industry. :D

HYPNAUTIC
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I agree thats pretty ugly! Ugly just like the Dodge, but it will last a hole lot longer!

cc322
02-09-2006, 05:19 PM
No thanks I will keep my Ford, Chevy or Dodge before I buy a full size Yoda also the chicks did the Fords :rollside: Just look here
http://www.donahoeracing.com/cust_gallery_detail.php?galleryID=59

ROZ
02-09-2006, 05:25 PM
No thanks I will keep my Ford, Chevy or Dodge before I buy a full size Yoda also the chicks did the Fords :rollside: Just look here
http://www.donahoeracing.com/cust_gallery_detail.php?galleryID=59
Okay, I'm trying to understand something here when comparing like vehicles... You'd rather have a vehicle that cost more in the long run, doesn't perform as well, doesn't ride as nice, Doesn't have as nice interior, and has lesser resale value?
Okay... :D

cc322
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Did you click on the link Roz? Its all about the chicks my man and they aint on no Yoda :wink:

cc322
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Okay, I'm trying to understand something here when comparing like vehicles... You'd rather have a vehicle that cost more in the long run, doesn't perform as well, doesn't ride as nice, Doesn't have as nice interior, and has lesser resale value?
I think the inside is right out of the new F150 have you ridden on one of those, very plush and quiet, I guess I just like the Fords. :p

havasu5150
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by bigq
The wifes Nissan Altima was built entirely in Smyrna Tennesee.
My guess is they have more employees named Bubba then they have employees named Wang

ROZ
02-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I think the inside is right out of the new F150 have you ridden on one of those, very plush and quiet, I guess I just like the Fords. :p
People like what they like :)

AzMandella
02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I love my Superduty Diesel.But the sad fact is that even though most American made trucks are assembled in the U.S. alot of the electronics interior parts are outsourced and made in foreign countries.Especialy Mexico.Unfortunately because of unions if everything was manufactured in the U.S. most of us wouldn't be able to afford a new truck.I read an article in Newsweek that aside from high wages the amount of money the big three have to pay into the unions drives the price of every car built,regardless of make or model,up by 2700.00$.

THOR
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I wont get into the usual union bashing BS, but my creed is buy american or dont buy at all. Support this country first.

TOBTEK
02-09-2006, 08:28 PM
it might be a better truck.....BUT, if it looks like a monkey's ass....im not driving one! period AND you have to try to support the only decent sagment of the American Auto industry :)

ROZ
02-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I wont get into the usual union bashing BS, but my creed is buy american or dont buy at all. Support this country first.
What kind of TV do you have ? :D

HighRoller
02-10-2006, 07:41 AM
For everyone saying "buy American" so you can "support" the American auto industry, hopefully you realize what you're supporting. Currently there are almost 13,000 UAW "workers" sitting at home on their asses doing nothing but still collecting full pay and benefits. The cost per worker is almost $100/hr, which means the big three are paying about 10 million dollars a day in wages that earn zero ROI. Do a search for the Detroit News/12,000 workers and you can read the sad facts of this debacle.
Meanwhile, Toyota is expanding and recently investigated building an engine plant in Michigan. What did the "pro-jobs" UAW do? They protested, of course. As a matter of fact they made such a scene that Toyota told Michigan they would be taking their thousands of jobs and millions in tax revenue elsewhere!! If the American companies build the best cars, why not welcome the competition?
Don't get me wrong, I love American cars, but a "buy American no matter what" protectionist attitude does nothing but hurt American companies in the long run. They have to learn how to compete if they want to survive. And since the UAW hates competition and will avoid it at all costs, there's nothing but bankruptcy in the future for Detroit. Ironically, the foreign companies are behaving more in the tradition of "American" values these days, while the UAW is acting like the government of a communist nation.

THOR
02-10-2006, 07:54 AM
What kind of TV do you have ? :D
Fisher Price :rolleyes:

rivercrazy
02-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Couldn't agree more HR. I would really love to purchase an american truck but the quality, technology, and durability lags behind their competition.
Just about all the 1/2 ton american trucks are made in either canada or mexico. The Nissan and Toyota 1/2tons are made in the good ole USA.
The amount of capital investment pumped into the US economy by the Japanese truck mfg's is very substantial. And provides for US employment and a boost to our economy.
The domestics are moving more offshore everyday.....Sad state of affairs for the US auto industry.

HighRoller
02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
With all the domestic companies hurting financially, it's going to get ugly in 2007 when a lot of UAW's contracts(including the JOBS program) come up for renewal. The UAW is making noise like they aren't going to budge from their current package. Only two things will save the big three from certain bankruptcy. Either a major merger between two or more of them or spinning off the most successful models into a non-union company. The UAW's goals run contrary to what's good for any company's balance sheet, so there's only one end result if they continue to get what they demand. DOOOOOMMMM!!!

sorry dog
02-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Toyota has a diesel, just not available here... My neighbor had a late 70's nissan or toy diesel. That dam truck was nearly indestructable.. kinda like that video someone posted about illing a toyota...lol
Their diesel is an 4.2L 6 cyl called the 1hd-fte with 205hp. It's not quite cummins territory, but I really wish they would offer it here. Mainly so that it could be swapped into older landcruisers, and make the dealers stock the parts for them.
I'd love to have this deal http://www.armyvehicles.dk/toyotavx100.htm
They also have a nice 3.0L 4 cyl diesel called the 1KZ that has like 150 hp which would be nice in a Taco if fuel ever spikes to $4-5 a gallon.
I think Hino (former toyota parts sub) makes these motors or at least components for the trucks and forklifts. I once drove a Toyota forklift at a pipeplant we building and that thing was a Cadillac compared to most of the heavy equipment I was using at the time.

sorry dog
02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
The amount of capital investment pumped into the US economy by the Japanese truck mfg's is very substantial. And provides for US employment and a boost to our economy. .
Very true. Wed Wall Street Journal said GM lost around $10billion and Toyota was investing $9 Billion into manufacturing mostly intended for the US market.
GM has a large cash reserve (like 25 billion), but current pressures are so stacked against them it seems like they can't find a good way to invest it. If things don't change soon, that money will bleed away and their options will become much more limited.
I'm glad they didn't put to much money into hybrid development, as I think the market will eventually see that cost/benefit of that deal doesn't pay as well as other things.

Havasu Cig
02-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I have owned Toyota's, Fords & Chevy trucks and I will take the Chevy and Ford all day long over the Toyota. First of all Toyota does not have anything that compares in the 3/4 and 1 ton area, and I don't think their quality is all it is cracked up to be.
My Toyota's would run forever but the body panels were not as durable as my American trucks. Every Toyota I owned would dent if anything hit it. I could roll to the desert in my American trucks and have a bunch of drunk idiots hanging out in the bed, bouncing off the sides etc... and it would come back from the weekend just fine. My Toyota's would dent if you slammed the door to hard.
I think a lot of people think it is still 1975. My mom refuses to buy an American vehicle because she is stuck in this mentality. I have told her several time that she needs to check out the other cars that are out there but she is stuck on Toyota and Honda.
My buddy used to tow boats for a living (mostly big offshore boats in the 10-16k range) and used a 99 Ford f-350 dually with the 7.3 diesel. He logged about 500k on the truck going mostly California to Florida and the truck performed flawlesly (sp). Not bad for a supposedly inferior American truck. My.02 :cool:

HighRoller
02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't think the debate is about the quality of the product. It's about the quality of the companies behind the product. The domestic companies are in the business of employing people. The foreign companies are in business to make cars and profit. As far as GM's 25 billion dollar reserve, it means nothing. When you add up their total assets and total liabilities they are actually about 50 billion in the red. The key issues are the pension and the JOBS program which are tilting the balance sheet towards the liability side at an increasing rate.

THOR
02-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't think the debate is about the quality of the product. It's about the quality of the companies behind the product. The domestic companies are in the business of employing people. The foreign companies are in business to make cars and profit. As far as GM's 25 billion dollar reserve, it means nothing. When you add up their total assets and total liabilities they are actually about 50 billion in the red. The key issues are the pension and the JOBS program which are tilting the balance sheet towards the liability side at an increasing rate.
Purely opinion, speculation and conjecture.

AzMandella
02-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Very true. Wed Wall Street Journal said GM lost around $10billion and Toyota was investing $9 Billion into manufacturing mostly intended for the US market.
GM has a large cash reserve (like 25 billion), but current pressures are so stacked against them it seems like they can't find a good way to invest it. If things don't change soon, that money will bleed away and their options will become much more limited.
I'm glad they didn't put to much money into hybrid development, as I think the market will eventually see that cost/benefit of that deal doesn't pay as well as other things.
I agree with you on most of that.the only thing I don't understand is how can Chevy have a 25 billion$ reserve when not long ago theirs and Fords credit rating was reduced to"junk" because they wre almost 200 billion in debt.Almost twice as much as Ford.I think the best thing for the Big Three would be to break the union out alltogether.Unions have no place in this country anymore.they used to make sure that an employee recieved an honest wage and benifits.Now all the do is to make sure abunch of derilicts get paid like the have PHD's.I mean "come on" are you going to tell me that some highschool dropout deserves to make 100,000$ ayear to hold a bumper up as the vehicle comes by?All unions do today is drive the cost of living up in there respective states and the rest of us in this country pay for it.Just look at Cali and the eastern seaboard.Two of the most liberal states that are still very much union,and the highest cost of living.

rivercrazy
02-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Purely opinion, speculation and conjecture.
Have you read the reports and reviewed their financial statements? NOT speculation. Its a fact. GM is bleeding badly and burning away their cash reserves. They loose money on every car they sell

THOR
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Have you read the reports and reviewed their financial statements? NOT speculation. Its a fact. GM is bleeding badly and burning away their cash reserves. They loose money on every car they sell
Okay, it is pure conjecture then. :cool:

Blacksheep
02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
My 1 ton Dodge was built in MO, and GM has a truck plant up the road in Ft Wayne, IN. that builds the Chevy & GMC 1/2 tons.

ROZ
02-10-2006, 11:44 AM
First of all Toyota does not have anything that compares in the 3/4 and 1 ton area, and I don't think their quality is all it is cracked up to be.
You're right. Currently Toyota doesn't have a .75 ton or higher truck. This truck is what they're using to tap in to that market...
As far as the quality, you haven't owned a toy in a long time :D
My Toyota's would run forever but the body panels were not as durable as my American trucks. Every Toyota I owned would dent if anything hit it. I could roll to the desert in my American trucks and have a bunch of drunk idiots hanging out in the bed, bouncing off the sides etc... and it would come back from the weekend just fine. My Toyota's would dent if you slammed the door to hard.
I slam my doors all the time and don't have and dents :D
I think a lot of people think it is still 1975. My mom refuses to buy an American vehicle because she is stuck in this mentality. I have told her several time that she needs to check out the other cars that are out there but she is stuck on Toyota and Honda.
Why not, they still make a better product... So does Mercedes and BMW for that matter... Have you see the new Hyndai's, they ride pretty nice as compared to the american car comp.. Then there's resale.. American vehicles, other than diesel pickups, have always had poor resale...
My buddy used to tow boats for a living (mostly big offshore boats in the 10-16k range) and used a 99 Ford f-350 dually with the 7.3 diesel. He logged about 500k on the truck going mostly California to Florida and the truck performed flawlesly (sp). Not bad for a supposedly inferior American truck. My.02 :cool:
This paragraph doesn't even belong in this thread...lol ... not even close to apples vs apples... F350 is probably a pretty small market when looking at the big picture...
Anyone ever notice that you see a lot of Hyndai and Volvo heavy equiptment lately?

Old Texan
02-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I currently own a Nissan Titan. If you want a truck that rides nice, has great accleration, comfortable roomy interior, and decent gas milage, this is a great vehicle.
Hook a 7500# boat behind it and watch your gas milage decrease by about 60-70%.
I'm moving back to TX from GA and towed my boat back this week. I wore out my credit card sliding it into gas pumps.
These trucks are highly overated as tow vehicles due to gearing/trans.
Since I'm going to be towing a lot more in TX, there will be a Ford, Chev, or Dodge sitting in my driveway soon.
I'd wager Toyota will show similar results.

Havasu Cig
02-11-2006, 09:32 AM
You're right. Currently Toyota doesn't have a .75 ton or higher truck. This truck is what they're using to tap in to that market...
As far as the quality, you haven't owned a toy in a long time :D
I slam my doors all the time and don't have and dents :D
Why not, they still make a better product... So does Mercedes and BMW for that matter... Have you see the new Hyndai's, they ride pretty nice as compared to the american car comp.. Then there's resale.. American vehicles, other than diesel pickups, have always had poor resale...
This paragraph doesn't even belong in this thread...lol ... not even close to apples vs apples... F350 is probably a pretty small market when looking at the big picture...
Anyone ever notice that you see a lot of Hyndai and Volvo heavy equiptment lately?
Roz, Your right, I have not owned a Toyota in a while but I ride in one of my employee's almost every day. He has an 01 Tundra, and I will take my Chevy all day long. The interior of his truck does not compare to our LT Silverado in either comfort or features. You step on the peddle in his truck and it is nothing special either. Our Chevy will smoke the Toyota in a drag race towing, not towing whatever and that is even before I re-programed the computer. Now with our Duramax at about 350 hp and Torque in the high 6 range forget about it. :)
You Brought up Mercedes as a standard of quality above the American cars, but according to the new Car & Driver mag I just got most if not all of the Mopar vehicles are using Mercedes components to a certain degree as well as technology. Take this into account as well as ford owning Jaguar, Volvo, Lotus etc...and I think the American cars are closer to the foriegn ones than you might think. Heck, look at the new Z06, it is getting awesome reviews even when compared to ferrari's that cost 5 times as much. Like i said above the quality at one time was inferior, but I don't think it is anymore.
As far as my friends F-350, these are the same trucks that people are buying to tow their toys with. If I would have said F-450 or above I can see your argument, but his truck had the same engine, trans etc... that my F-250's and my standard F-350 had.
Have a good day bro... :) :cool:

ROZ
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
As far as my friends F-350, these are the same trucks that people are buying to tow their toys with. If I would have said F-450 or above I can see your argument, but his truck had the same engine, trans etc... that my F-250's and my standard F-350 had.
Have a good day bro... :) :cool:
True dat, but what I'm saying is that the Tundra is in the same market as the F150...
BTW, It seems you have a good crew at Sycamore... Poped in for gas and overheard someone assisting a woman very respectfully.. :)

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
No, that is why I have a Dodge instead of a Japyota. :220v:

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Coping one's ideas is the ultimate flattery.