PDA

View Full Version : SUPERCHIPS or HYPERTECH

THATJEFFGUY
05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm buying one of these for my '07 Tahoe. Any suggestions...pros/cons ??

ratso
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
A con might be a voided warranty?

Oldschool427
05-09-2007, 05:14 AM
I bought the Superchip for my 2005 Ford F250 6.0 Super Duty 4 x4.
Ford dealer say, if the the Chip is the cause of engine or tranny failure warranty will not cover. I lost a turbo charger last Feb. on my way back from Havasu, Towing was on me, Thank you Good Sam Road service.
I have 68,000 mile on my truck in 2 years.
15.5 mph driving around So Cal.
14.2 mph towing my 24' Campbell 5400 lbs
11 mph towing my 31' 5th Wheel 14,000 lbs.
The truck is like driving a street rod on steroids.

Mr. Crusader 83
05-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Hypertech- You can change your tire size and gear ratio. If you lift or lower it. You can also put it back to stock and take it to the dealer, with no trace of tampering.

Troy McClure
05-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Neither.
Try Wester's. Read up on it, they flash the PCM for you to your specs. More initial cost but they will re-flash for free if you ever have to change something and will flash up to two (I think) more PCM's if you buy another vehicle so it ends up being less cost in the long run.
Also, the dealer can NOT tell if you have done this, when they hook it up it looks like any other vehicle.
http://www.westersales.com/Westers/index.htm

racecar.hotshoe
05-09-2007, 06:17 AM
predator is what I use.plus the edge stacked.:D

Inked
05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Im running the SuperChips FlashPak 2805 on my '06 Chevy 2500 HD....
Pros are that yes it makes the truck a helluva lot faster, it adjusts for speedo calibration as well as rev limiter. It also has 3 settings, Performance, Tow/Perf & Tow. Also from what I am told the system does not leave a hard code on your computer, so incase you gotta take the ride to the dealership they wouldnt see that it was in there... I do not know that to be true since I never have to go to the dealerships, also better mpgs...
Cons are really only that the shift points when the ride is cold change, I also forgot what that is called but Superchips says there is no fix for that at the moment...

RaceFace
05-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I used the Hypertech on my 2001 Yukon and ended up getting worse mileage and alot of black s**t coming out of the tailpipe, so I put it back to stock and sold the programmer. When I got my '06 GMC truck, I lifted it and put '35's on it. I bought another programmer and used the speedo calibration and firmed up the shifting on the tranny. I didnt mess with the motor settings. No problems here.

Mr. Crusader 83
05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I used the Hypertech on my 2001 Yukon and ended up getting worse mileage and alot of black s**t coming out of the tailpipe, so I put it back to stock and sold the programmer. When I got my '06 GMC truck, I lifted it and put '35's on it. I bought another programmer and used the speedo calibration and firmed up the shifting on the tranny. I didnt mess with the motor settings. No problems here.
Thats all I did on mine. Changed the tire size, and gear ratio ( i put 4.10's in it)
Works like a champ. Even got a lil better mpg.

sleekcraft80
05-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I bought a Hypertech for my "06" Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi and all it would let me do was adjust for the type of fuel I was running. I put it back to stock and it gave me better mileage. It is bad enough, I don't need to make it worse. The Hypertech was a waste of money:mad:

Cole Trickle
05-09-2007, 09:19 AM
If your looking for a flash programmer I would do a Diablo Predator.
If you want a custom tune done on a Dyno I can probably set you up for around $450.00 ( The tuner uses HP tuners and is top notch...did my truck,GTO and vette )

Kachina26
05-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I've read that they can always tell, even if you put it back to stock, that you had different engine tuning installed.
Truthfully, we couldn't tell even with the program installed. We tried it on one of the techs' Dmax. That is not by looking at the software versions for the various components. Obviously we could tell by how it performed. But if you put it back to stock and aren't stupid enough to put stickers on your vehicle, you shouldn't have much to worry about on the warranty front. Perhaps the engineers back at the factory could see something, but in all my years, we never sent a controller back for that kind of analysis.

blown65
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Some of ya are comparing a Diesel tuner to a Gas tuner. Diesel ones do gain a crap load. Some of the Gas ones do gain some but don't expect anything dramatic. Maybe a slight performance gain and maybe a slight fuel mileage gain.

racecar.hotshoe
05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
If your looking for a flash programmer I would do a Diablo Predator.
If you want a custom tune done on a Dyno I can probably set you up for around $450.00 ( The tuner uses HP tuners and is top notch...did my truck,GTO and vette )
See I told ya,This guy knows his chit!:D

hoolign
05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
If your going to add a programmer or chip I would suggest starting with what your engine is going to need to accomplish getting more HP. You need more air in for starters! The stock systems are basaiclly set for the amount of air required to run at the factory setting. Ever mashed throttle a number of times and checked the air cleaner tattletale? to much vacuum and sucks in the tattletale. With more air in you need more exhaust out. Just because your system says 3" or 4" that doesnt acount for all the restrictions in it. Upgrade your air system and exhaust before you bother with the programmer. Why has no one mentioned bullydog? they make a great programmer especially with the "Crazy Larry" setting :D Not so good for Dodge auto trans without any upgrades. Some really good advice on everything realated to hopping up your trucks is obatinable at www.dieselplace.com