PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Bridge Clearance question, traffic signals too?

Magic34
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I have been looking everywhere on the ADOT site and cant really find a definite answer.
What are the bridge clearances on the highway? I10, local freeways, I17, Beeline (87)....
I need to know what the maximum height of the trailer can be and not worry about hitting an overpass.
Also, does anyone know what height the bottom of the traffic signals are set at for minimium clearance? In looking at traffic signals in my area, the lights closer to the sidewalk hang lower than those toward the center of the road. Does anyone know what those measurements are?
Thank you.

ELIMINAT THIS
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Max height in Arizona is 13'6'' with out a permit.What is the height of that yacht?:D

Magic34
05-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Max height in Arizona is 13'6'' with out a permit.What is the height of that yacht?:D
I will have the permit due to width. I already have the flags and oversize load signs.
With the satellite dome, which adds the extra height, it is 14' 6".
Without the satellite, it is just under 13'6" but the satellite stays.

Beer-30
05-11-2007, 02:20 AM
You'll have to build yourself a low-pro trailer like the race hydros have. Put like 20 little dolly wheels on it. Tuck them up under the middle on air bags. It would look like the frame rails were sliding on the roadway.
Just an idea. :D

Magic34
05-11-2007, 04:50 AM
You'll have to build yourself a low-pro trailer like the race hydros have. Put like 20 little dolly wheels on it. Tuck them up under the middle on air bags. It would look like the frame rails were sliding on the roadway.
Just an idea. :D
You just made me cry.

BadKachina
05-11-2007, 06:12 AM
I really don't think there are any signs or bridges on the 10 that are 14'6" but I would take the satellite dish off just to be sure. Is it that hard to get on and off?

AZJD
05-11-2007, 06:24 AM
14'6" I think you have a problem. I believe most of the bridges coming into town are 14'6". Out of town you should be fine though. Let me do some more checking with my drivers to find out.

sigepmock
05-11-2007, 06:28 AM
I will have the permit due to width. I already have the flags and oversize load signs.
Focking Ballers!!!!:D
Did you get the garage done? How'd it turn out?

seanv
05-11-2007, 06:35 AM
a friend of mine ships his sea ray and when he does he pulls the radar arch off the boat. it's the best way to safely travel with that monster.

6 Dollar Boat
05-11-2007, 06:44 AM
.........................but the satellite stays.
NOT FOR LONG
:eek:

Jordy
05-11-2007, 06:50 AM
14'6" is the magic number, no pun intended, however, you have to take into consideration all the recent overlays they have been doing with the rubber asphalt. Add an inch to grade level and you're at 14'5", although I don't know of many bridges on the newer freeways that are under 15'. You will want to stay off the Durango Curve on I-17 as those are some of the lowest bridges anywhere in Phoenix. ;)

Jordy
05-11-2007, 07:03 AM
OK, so I found this section. Looks as though if there isn't a clearance sign, it's at least 14'6" tall. Might want to let some air out of those tires just in case. :D :D :D
Arizona Revised Statute 28-1094 states that the maximum vehicle height shall not
exceed 13’-6” without a permit. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
states that the Low Clearance Sign (W12-2) is intended for “clearances of less than
the maximum vehicle height permitted plus 12 inches.” Therefore, warning signs
are required for vertical clearances of 14’– 6” and less to indicate the clearance
between the roadway and the structure.
The Low Clearance Sign (W12-2) shall be installed in advance of the structure. For
roadways other than freeways, the sign shall be installed at the nearest
intersecting road or wide point in the road at which a vehicle can detour or turn
around. For freeways, the Low Clearance signs shall be installed on both sides of
each approaching roadway in advance of the exit immediately preceding the
structure.
A rectangular vertical clearance sign (W12-2p) shall be installed on the approach
side of all overhead bridge structures having a clearance of 14’- 6” or less. These
signs shall have a black legend on a reflectorized yellow background displaying the
legend “XXFT XXIN” . It should be mounted on the structure in a location that
minimizes the need for a lane closure to maintain it.
The rectangular vertical clearance sign (I12-2p) shall have a white legend on a
reflectorized green background displaying the legend “XXFT XXIN”. It should be
used for adjusted clearances above 14’- 6”, but less than 16’- 0”. It should be
mounted on the structure in a location that minimizes the need for a lane closure to
maintain it. These signs should be used to provide information to motorists and
requires no supplementary signing. Adjusted clearance, is the clearance minus 2” to
account for truck bounce.
Allowances over the adjusted clearances can be allowed per the MUTCD, or based
on the judgement of the State Traffic Engineer.
Where established vertical clearances are altered by resurfacing operations, the
clearance signs shall be replaced in as timely a manner as possible to indicate the
revised clearance.
This policy is to take effect immediately. Existing white on green vertical
clearance signing over 16’- 0” will be removed during the course of new projects and
through regular maintenance.
There used to be a map with all the bridge and overpass clearances on it for the Phoenix Metro area, as well as the entire state. I'm working on finding that for ya. ;)

seanv
05-11-2007, 07:32 AM
wow jordy....people helping people n chit:D

MudPumper
05-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Wow, thats going to be a stressfull haul getting that beast from AZ all the way to the Pacific where it belongs. :D

Jordy
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
wow jordy....people helping people n chit:D
I'm selective in who I help... ;)
Besides, I used to run the heavy haul dispatch for a big Cat rental house here in town. Gotta know the rules in order to break them, right??? :D :D :D

Powerquestboy
05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I was randomly reading on another board about someone that just bought I believe the identical boat to yours. I think they had to take the whole Miami Vice roll bar thing off to transport that bad boy. I will see if I can find the info...

seanv
05-11-2007, 08:01 AM
true...
good luck michael !

Powerquestboy
05-11-2007, 08:12 AM
This was the guys words so from this I assume they had to transport it with the hard top off. Not sure if it is the same boat but its got to be real similar.
"My new boat is on the way to the to the lake. We staked out I17 today and watched it go through town. They have to put the hard top on and then they float it. The boat is a Formula 37 PC, with hardtop."

OCMerrill
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Watch your time of travel restrictions on "Oversize" as well.
Your Sat dome will need some clever disconnect or something cool designed to raise and lower.
Nice boat by the way. That thing on Powell would be the bomb.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I see a new sig line coming.......:( :D ;)
New boats are tall...I didn't see that coming!!!

Patyacht
05-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Hinge the arch for trailering. I see it done a lot up here to get into covered moorage.

nodigg
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
We run 14' on our western states trucks. Any more than that requires a permit and a routing map and nerves of steel. Oh yeah, and a higher rate too!

sigepmock
05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I see a new sig line coming.......:( :D ;)
New boats are tall...I didn't see that coming!!!
LMAO:D :D :D

DeltaSigBoater
05-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Hate to be the one who has to break it to you but you may have to loose the Satellite dome. I've installed & removed a few in my time and they are a bitch to say the least.
Since your Sat Dome is about 18" high x 16" dia. only weighing 20lbs... One thing that comes to mind is a hinge adapter that bolts between the top of the arch and the the base of your sat. mount. thus allowing it to swing down. Check out Seaview Check Out Seaviw (http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?section=seaview&action=main&sn=3)
Dont go trying to hinge the Arch. If was ment to be hinged Formula would have designed it to do that!
Just my $.02

Big Warlock
05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Mike I canget the boat for you and if you follow closely you can pick up the radar dome after the first underpass below 14"!!! :D No Charge!!!:eek:

CMac
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I have been looking everywhere on the ADOT site and cant really find a definite answer.
What are the bridge clearances on the highway? I10, local freeways, I17, Beeline (87)....
I need to know what the maximum height of the trailer can be and not worry about hitting an overpass.
Also, does anyone know what height the bottom of the traffic signals are set at for minimium clearance? In looking at traffic signals in my area, the lights closer to the sidewalk hang lower than those toward the center of the road. Does anyone know what those measurements are?
Thank you.
I just pulled our new 31pc to Powell and getting ready to go again on Memorial Day.
My 31 stands 14'2" to the antenna pivot. We cleared everything from Thunderbird on I17 to Lake Powell. Only one spot of concern on the way back, is the bridge at the north end of Camp Verde that is marked 14'6". It is marked at the low spot in the fast lane. The bridge elevates over the slow lane and the road drops away. So we just pulled half into the safety lane and crept throught with no problem on the right.
Any bridge lower then 14'6" has to be marked in advance so you can pull off and around. I found a section in state bridge construction codes that states even forms or construction equipment cannot be lower then 14'6".
See ya on Powell!!!!
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/cmacci/CIMG0824.jpg

Cole Sanger
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Save the headache and store it closer to the lake. I heard there is a new indoor place somewhere in Glendale that is nice.

Sotally Tober
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I would stay under 14'. I haul heavy equipment and anyhting over 14' needs to be permited. Most all bridges are over that on highways. The problem is the wires that are not marked on evry other road. Good luck. The KVH dish works great on our houseboat. I can see why you dont want to get rid of it.

Magic34
05-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I have been out of town and would have responded earlier. So, if I had a mount under it that would fold down at 90 degrees, I only need 6" of clearance and I am good to go. That isn't all that much that I need so I would be OK and it seems like it isn't too difficult.
The question then would be if the satellite could be transported on its side without getting damaged. I am thinking just folding it back or forward 90 degrees.

Magic34
05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I just pulled our new 31pc to Powell and getting ready to go again on Memorial Day.
My 31 stands 14'2" to the antenna pivot. We cleared everything from Thunderbird on I17 to Lake Powell. Only one spot of concern on the way back, is the bridge at the north end of Camp Verde that is marked 14'6". It is marked at the low spot in the fast lane. The bridge elevates over the slow lane and the road drops away. So we just pulled half into the safety lane and crept throught with no problem on the right.
Any bridge lower then 14'6" has to be marked in advance so you can pull off and around. I found a section in state bridge construction codes that states even forms or construction equipment cannot be lower then 14'6".
See ya on Powell!!!!
How about street lights???? They look much lower than bridges.
Great looking boat!!!!

Magic34
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Hate to be the one who has to break it to you but you may have to loose the Satellite dome. I've installed & removed a few in my time and they are a bitch to say the least.
Since your Sat Dome is about 18" high x 16" dia. only weighing 20lbs... One thing that comes to mind is a hinge adapter that bolts between the top of the arch and the the base of your sat. mount. thus allowing it to swing down. Check out Seaview Check Out Seaviw (http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?section=seaview&action=main&sn=3)
Dont go trying to hinge the Arch. If was ment to be hinged Formula would have designed it to do that!
Just my $.02
Thanks for that info.
I talked to SeaView 10 minutes ago. Their hinge is the way to go, however, do you know if it will damage the satellite unit flipping it upside down? This way, I am under 14' when towing.
The hinge is the best option and it is only $250.
Thanks again, what you you think of that dome being upside down?

Cole Sanger
05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Your real problem will be trees. I have a wakeboard tower on my boat and I have to stay in the middle lane around town or I trim the trees. I am lower than you are. You will probably be ok if you go from your house to the 202 and up to Pleasant. I just wouldn't try to go anywhere down here in Gilbert.
I am just curious about your permits. Are they one day types of permits, or are they long term? Not that I need them, just wondering how those work and who you go through to get those.
http://www.crowniehq.com/gallery/data/506/Front_Side_Smaller_1.JPG

Magic34
05-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Your real problem will be trees. I have a wakeboard tower on my boat and I have to stay in the middle lane around town or I trim the trees. I am lower than you are. You will probably be ok if you go from your house to the 202 and up to Pleasant. I just wouldn't try to go anywhere down here in Gilbert.
I am just curious about your permits. Are they one day types of permits, or are they long term? Not that I need them, just wondering how those work and who you go through to get those.
The permit is good for 1 year. It costs about $350/year to run.

DeltaSigBoater
05-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that info.
I talked to SeaView 10 minutes ago. Their hinge is the way to go, however, do you know if it will damage the satellite unit flipping it upside down? This way, I am under 14' when towing.
The hinge is the best option and it is only $250.
Thanks again, what you you think of that dome being upside down?
3 Things
1) The satlite dish, inner workings & dome were disgined to take the pounding, rocking, pitching & rolling that boats experience. I read KVH Industries Instalation Manuals, & saw nothing about flipping the unit. However there was a blip about removing the shipping restraint bolt, prior to opperation. (http://www.kvh.com/pdf/54027401C_web.pdf) Not sure what unit you have. But to answer your question... I'm not sure what will happen to the unit if fliped upside down.
2). My real concern with the dome being upside down for transport is it swinging - thus causing damage to the dome, arch & etc. You will definitely need away of securing the dome while its USD. Cant think of anything off the top of my head but will look into it furhter.
3). Make sure you have enough cable slack for, sounds like a no brainer, but when installers love to zip tie exess cable together. All this will be hidden behind the secens of the interior, hopefully somewhere near your reciver box. Pulling out more slack is sometimes a 2-3 man job.
Good Luck!

Magic34
05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
3 Things
1) The satlite dish, inner workings & dome were disgined to take the pounding, rocking, pitching & rolling that boats experience. I read KVH Industries Instalation Manuals, & saw nothing about flipping the unit. However there was a blip about removing the shipping restraint bolt, prior to opperation. (http://www.kvh.com/pdf/54027401C_web.pdf) Not sure what unit you have. But to answer your question... I'm not sure what will happen to the unit if fliped upside down.
2). My real concern with the dome being upside down for transport is it swinging - thus causing damage to the dome, arch & etc. You will definitely need away of securing the dome while its USD. Cant think of anything off the top of my head but will look into it furhter.
3). Make sure you have enough cable slack for, sounds like a no brainer, but when installers love to zip tie exess cable together. All this will be hidden behind the secens of the interior, hopefully somewhere near your reciver box. Pulling out more slack is sometimes a 2-3 man job.
Good Luck!
#2 already thought about that too. I am going to do some basic straps with clips and strap it to the arch in 2 directios. This would stop movement of the dome itself. Now what happens inside that little bubble, I have no idea.
I also thought about the slack, so already talked to the shop about that as well.
I wont let the thing move when upside down (I will make sure it is secure), but what about the inside you cant see?