PDA

View Full Version : Sex by fraud, ain't rape

Old Texan
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Nothin' like a little "Brotherly Luvin'" :devil: :devil:
Court rules sex through use of fraud is not rape
By Jonathan Saltzman, Globe Staff | May 11, 2007
A Hampden County man who allegedly tricked his brother's girlfriend into having sex with him by impersonating his sibling in the middle of the night cannot be convicted of rape, the state's highest court ruled yesterday in a controversial decision that affirms the court's long-held view that sex obtained through fraud is no crime.
The Supreme Judicial Court unanimously ruled that a judge should have dismissed the rape charge against Alvin Suliveres , 44, of Westfield, because Massachusetts law has for centuries defined rape as sexual intercourse by force and against one's will, and that it is not rape when consent is obtained through fraud.
If the Legislature wants to make sex through fraud qualify as rape, it should follow the lead of several other states -- including Alabama, California, Michigan, and Tennessee -- and change the law, the court said.
Brownlow M. Speer , a state public defender who represented Suliveres in the challenge, praised the ruling. His client, who has been free since his March 2006 trial ended in a hung jury, denies impersonating his brother and maintains that the sex was consensual.
But Wendy J. Murphy , who teaches at the New England School of Law and advocates for victims of violence, condemned the ruling as regressive.
"The message that the court sends today is . . . that a man's ability to obtain sex through fraud with regard to who he is is more important than a woman's fundamental right to control her own body," said Murphy. She added, "It is impossible -- as a matter of fact and law -- to consent to sex with the wrong person."
Justice Judith A. Cowin , one of two women on the court, wrote the ruling.
The case dates to a night in January 2005. The woman was living with her boyfriend, Duane Suliveres , in a basement room of his father's home, according to the defense brief. Alvin Suliveres was also staying at the house.
Duane Suliveres , now 33, was working night shifts, the brief said. At 3 a.m., the woman later told authorities, she was awakened by the sound of the door opening to the dark room and said, "Duane, why are you home so early?" but heard no response. Then, she said, someone she thought was her boyfriend got into bed, removed her clothes, and had sex with her for about 10 minutes.
He got up and opened the door, and she saw that it was Alvin Suliveres, she told authorities.
After Hampden County prosecutors presented their case, Suliveres's trial lawyer asked Superior Court Judge Tina S. Page to acquit his client for lack of evidence, but the judge refused. The case went to the jury, which could not reach a verdict.

Jordy
05-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow, I bet family gatherings are a hoot around that place!!! :jawdrop: :idea: :D
Living in the boyfriend's father's basement and slept with the older brother huh??? I'm guessing he was just making sure she was good enough to join the family. :D :D :D

BshyBvrGirl
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
riduclous:mad: fraudulent consent is NOT willing consent. what a great image to send to the community...you can rape somebody just as long as you impersonate somebody the victim would consent to. I'll be sure to pass the good news on to the many women who come to my office to receive crisis services for sexual assault :mad:

Jordy
05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
you can rape somebody just as long as you impersonate somebody the victim would consent to
Good thinking. I'm off to get a Brad Pitt costume right now!!! :D :D :D

acatitude
05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
now if the brother had been a lot better she probably wouldnt be complaining :D

YeLLowBoaT
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
now if the brother had been a lot better she probably wouldnt be complaining :D
ouch...
My question is...
How could she not know it was not her bf and was in fact his brother... unless they are identical twins, you would think she would be able to tell them apart.

Jordy
05-11-2007, 11:20 AM
How could she not know it was not her bf and was in fact his brother... unless they are identical twins, you would think she would be able to tell them apart.
Perhaps she didn't want to know the difference because she really has a home on ***** Island. ;) :D

Benjhamina
05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Let me get this right. In Kalifornia sex through fraud is considered rape. Soooooo what their saying is that when I tell a girl that I am a professional moto cross racer and make well over 100K a year and then she lets me do her, I am commiting rape?!?!?! Someone needs to lock me up quick.

Devilman
05-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Once again I am reminded not to be on the phone while reading the threads. LMAO :D

FOREVER2DOXIES
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
:mad: This ENTIRE article infuriates me! I cannot believe that a court or justice system in their right mind could do this. Just because you believe that someone is who they say, and that someone confesses to the fact that they pretended to be another person, does NOT make this less than rape. If the victim has proof this person is not who they claimed to be, she should still be able to call rape because it then becomes unwanted.
Thank GOD California has my back!

FOREVER2DOXIES
05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
ouch...
My question is...
ummmmm.....now why would someone say they are a sibling unless they were identicle? thats a no brainer...but then again some people are so stupid they might try it...and if that is the case, then the victim deserves this decision

ratso
05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
LMAO!:D

acatitude
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM
so then is fraud by sex ok also???:D

ratso
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
What if you're with a chick, and you have to pretend she is somebody else just to get off...:jawdrop: I hear a lot of husbands have that problem...:jawdrop: :jawdrop: