PDA

View Full Version : GCWR and the LAW

came along during the sunk boat thread
05-12-2007, 10:28 PM
here's my Q:
I've got an f250, Is there a law stating that I can only pull what my mfg tag says (GCWR) or Can I pull whatever I want as long as I'm plated for it?
If there is a law, could you please post it?
I reside in IL

ultra26shadow
05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Depends on what your GCWR is on your truck and the length of the trailer if you go over weight and length in your state you may need a commercial liscence, but you can usually go as much as your truck can haul without a commercial liscence. I know some 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks can haul up to 18,000 pounds but if the length is to long you need a class A or B liscence.

Beer-30
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Insurance can bite you, also. Regardless of license and such. Say you can pull, say, 18,000 lbs - per your door sticker. If you pull 18,500 and get in an accident where fault is yours, ins can say they won't cover you. They would, of course, have to know that you were pulling such weight, but it could happen. That's your other consideration.

came along during the sunk boat thread
05-12-2007, 10:55 PM
the reason I ask is that tyhe question comes up from time to time in another couple of forums I visit.
lets say my GCWR (door sticker) is 18k
lets say I'm plated for 25k
Lets say I weigh 23k
Am I legal?
I'm having trouble finding a law in the IL vehicle code that states overweight = over the amount listed on door sticker.
as far as the insureance thing, I'm not so sure about that heres why, Just like being overweight is illegal, driving drunk is illegal. if you get into an accident while drunk, iNS still pays out. right?

victorfb
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
each state has its own laws and you should read up on it through your local DMV. here in california you can actually go over the rated wieght of the tow vehicle, but not exccede the tire wieght rating. i know thats bold statement, and it gets more complicated than that. but most of our california highway patrol goes of the tire weight rating and just recently have started looking at trailer weight ratings. your trailer rating determines what class drivers license you need. personaly i have a restriction 41 added to my class C license to make me legal to tow a 5th wheel trailer up to 15000# rating. now that doesnt mean the trailer cannot weigh more than 15000#, but it needs to be rated at a max of. as long as my tires are rated to haul the load of the actual weight of the trailer, i am legal. see how confusing it can be? hense the need to check with your local states DMV.

Xlration Marine
05-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Get a bigger truck and don't sweat it.