PDA

View Full Version : precaution for kids in havi

707dog
05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
my family and a couple others are headed down in a couple weeks from norcal and our heat is much different than AZ ... youngest being 6months up to 14yrs old...none of us have never been so i want to get some heads up on what other might do for the lil ones to keep them safe??

djunkie
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Lots of sunblock and lots of water. Keep them hydrated. Also, did I mention sunblock? Sunburned kids are miserable kids. :( :(

djunkie
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh ya, don't forget life jackets for the kids.

ahhell
05-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Its a dry heat......
just keep'em hydrated, should only 110 by then
shade too...common sense should prevail;)

Riverbass
05-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Rule of thumb is if your pee is not clear then you need to drink more water.
If you or the kids start getting sick ( vomit or headache ) get them in the shade and start putting water down them they should be fine in about 2 hours. You will also want to lower there body temp.
Make them drink water not soft drinks ( this will make it worse ) in 100 deg + heat you will not feel thirsty untill it to late. Remember hat and sunblock and stay in the water.

essexjet
05-13-2007, 05:02 PM
All good advise, I would give the little ones some pedialyte for every two to three waters.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Clear Gatoraid, cool off in the water, outta the sun, and go inside to refresh from time to time throughout the day.
Clear gatoraid is best, won't stain the boat carpet/seats.
Gatoraid has electrolites,

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=day.
Clear gatoraid is best with vodka. PoPo will never no.
:) :D

Boatcop
05-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Clear Gatoraid, cool off in the water, outta the sun, and go inside to refresh from time to time throughout the day.
Clear gatoraid is best, won't stain the boat carpet/seats.
Gatoraid has electrolites,
Dilute the Gatoraid 50/50 with water. They'll be drinking a lot of it, and straight up, can lead to electrolyte overload.

707dog
05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
good stuff fella's really appriciate it...we talked about the pedialyte drinks today thats what sparked me to write this thread i know adults can deal with the heat alot better than the little ones so they are the concern my kids or not...but again thanx for the info..

RitcheyRch
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Just like the oven. :D
Its a dry heat....

AirtimeLavey
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Smaller kids will dehydrate at a much quicker rate than the adults, so they need it more often. That and the sunblock, they'll be good to go. :D

All-Star
05-14-2007, 08:16 AM
You can also get from (For example) "Zee medical supply" Electrolite pills. They work really fast and are a good send if you do not know if the kids are getting enough of the right fluids.... we ususally takes these when we go riding dirt bikes.
Maybe keep a few water filled spray bottles in the ice chest so you can squirt the baby down, since he wont be in the water that much.
Have fun.

HavaSkank
05-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Hmmm...so you're saying I cant leave my kid in the car in Havasu while I go out boozin and boating? I crack the windows a little. Hell, last time I even left her half of a warm Diet Coke AND pork rinds.
You people are so over protective.

Quest4Fun
05-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Living in Havasu we basically raised our kids on the boat. You mentioned a 6 month old...pay close attention to the little one. With our baby, we would place a cold wet towel over the baby on boat rides to keep body temp down. Have fun an use common sense. :)

Baja Big Dog
05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Hmmm...so you're saying I cant leave my kid in the car in Havasu while I go out boozin and boating? I crack the windows a little. Hell, last time I even left her half of a warm Diet Coke AND pork rinds.
You people are so over protective.
Here goes Skank, looking for more votes for "MOTHER OF THE YEAR":D

billet racing 1
05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Last year the first week of June was 107-119. Cooled off to 101 at midnight.
We sould spend the hottest part of the day in the room taking a nap. Sucked the energy out of us. also spent lots of time just soaking in the water. When we were boating any distance, would stop every 15 minutes or so to cool off.
Looking forward to seeing you. We are leaving from Concord Fri June 1st about 5-6am.
Jerry

CBadDad
05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
You'll enjoy it. I never find the heat as miserable as the numbers indicate. My kids (age 8, 13 & 15) never seem to complain about it. I'd be worried about the infant. Kids under the age of five don't regulate their body temperature the way the rest of us do, so be very careful.
Have fun

HavasuSelect
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
When are you coming out?

HavaSkank
05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Here goes Skank, looking for more votes for "MOTHER OF THE YEAR":D
You should have seen what I had to do to receive the GIRLFRIEND OF THE YEAR award. Im no longer allowed in the city of Deluth and Im prohibited to own any hoofed mammals or gerbils.

707dog
05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
When are you coming out?
we will be out there may 31st til june 5th...

707dog
05-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Last year the first week of June was 107-119. Cooled off to 101 at midnight.
We sould spend the hottest part of the day in the room taking a nap. Sucked the energy out of us. also spent lots of time just soaking in the water. When we were boating any distance, would stop every 15 minutes or so to cool off.
Looking forward to seeing you. We are leaving from Concord Fri June 1st about 5-6am.
Jerry
HEY BRO WHERE YOU GUYS STAYING AT??

rodnjen
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Just put your kid's needs before your own. Don't stay out all day, give them shade and it if it's really hot (110+) don't push your luck. Always lots of water but some kids handle heat better than others. Watch them closely.

707dog
05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Just put your kid's needs before your own. Don't stay out all day, give them shade and it if it's really hot (110+) don't push your luck. Always lots of water but some kids handle heat better than others. Watch them closely.
most definatly kids first;) i got a fresh water system on the boat with spray hoses in front and back ill use for the lil guy to keep cool. we went last night and bought a camelback water sack with sprayer also sure wouldnt want our trip to end sadly....going today to stock up on some gatoraid while its on sale:D

billet racing 1
05-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Were staying at the Nautical Inn Condos. June 1-7
Jerry