PDA

View Full Version : Chevy or Ford

laveydayz
02-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I am going to get a new truck by the end of the month but am split on Ford superduty or ChevyHd . I have always owned Chevys but have been considering something different. Im sure alot of you guys have had both and was wondering what your opinions were on either??

Phat Daddy
02-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Now this thread should get a few hits :rollside:

HMF'er
02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm on my third Ford, no problems. If I was in the market, I would go for the Chevy to try something different.
.....I'm no help!!

dmontzsta
02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Now this thread should get a few hits :rollside:
ya think?
:)

mike37
02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
ford

little rowe boat
02-09-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been done over and over and over again. :rolleyes:

ovrkll77
02-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I own a 2000 excursion 7.3,2000 f 250 v10, and a 2000 lightning. no problems, except the diesel.

laveydayz
02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Im going gas as I cannot justify the added cost of the motor/trans, maint. and fuel. Only tow a few miles from the storage to the ramp.

cc322
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
If your going gas I would say Ford ok I would have said Ford no matter what. And get the V10 I love mine. Thats all Im saying on this one :rolleyes: :rollside:

River918
02-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I was always a Chevy guy until two years ago when I bought a 2004 F250 with a 6.0 litre PSD.....About three months after buying it, I started to have problems with the motor and about a year after that Ford finally bought it back (lemon law). I now have a 2006 Chevy HD with the LBZ Duramax and I love it. To each their own, but if I were buying a Ford I wouldnt get the diesel...
.02 cents

Nubbs
02-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I just bought a Ford at the end of July. Since you're not getting the diesel I won't go into my thoughts on the motor/tranny combos of either. I looked at both the Chevy and the Ford. The Chevy has a more "plush" interior and more standard goodies, like the dual zone ac/heat control and the rear view mirror with compass and thermometer. The dash and interior layout just looks more refined than the Ford. The Chevy sound system is also nicer. The Ford on the other hand is more truck-like. The dash is nice and functional, but more plain looking. The Ford has a lot more rear leg room. The door panels in the Ford are all plastic. I think that's a plus because you can just wipe them off when they get dirty. The Ford has a solid front axle. I consider that to be a major plus. The Ford also has a built in brake controller and the upfitter switches. I also like the extendable Ford trailer tow mirrors. I love the rear backup sensors on the Ford. All in all, both trucks are very nice. In my opinion, the Ford is set up to be a workhorse whereas the Chevy has more creature comforts. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. Oh, I almost forgot, I love the look of the Super Duty too. There's my thoughts for ya. PM me if you have any specific questions or want to talk to me about it.
Nubbs

Hal
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I have always owned Chevy pickups untill 6 months ago when I bought a new 250 SD Ford 6.0 PSD. All I can say if you want a pickup buy a Chevy but if you want a truck buy a Ford super duty. One other thing if you buy a diesel, Ford or Chevy you will never go back to gas if you tow anything, matter of fact even if you don't tow anything. Its worth the extra 5 grand just to have that much pulling power under you. Can't say to much about the Dodge. The diesel motor they use is probably the best of all three but the quality of their trucks just doesn't seem to be near as good as the Ford or Chevy. The pulling power of a diesel is unbelievable, you will have to try it to believe it. The only reason I did'nt buy a Chevy is that Jay couldn't come up with the right combo when they were giving away trucks back in mid 2005. I am sure if Jay is still selling Chevys when I get my next truck or for sure when my wife gets her next Tahoe I will buy from him. I just can't say anything bad about this Ford diesel truck, I've had a smile on my face ever since I bought it. No problems with it and at speed (more than 70++ mph)it drives like a Caddy all the way to and back from the river except it does'nt sway when an 18 wheeler goes by you the other way. Like Revndave, Jason and Linda would say, its solid. What else can I say, I am a Chevy guy but I love this truck.
Disclaimer: The 70+ is week days only or with very light traffic. I would never intentionally endanger myself or others while driving to or from the river . I do not drive after drinking or with lack of sleep.

RiverRatMike
02-10-2006, 12:48 AM
I drove a chevy for 18 years and switched to a Ford Superduty and never going back! It's a 1999 F250 longbed with the V10. Has tons of pulling power. I just love it! Runs great even with 95,000 miles. Pulls my 28ft travel trailer with the greatest of ease. My buddy just bought a Chevy Durmax HD diesel and it has a Isuzu engine in it. What's up with that?

YeLLowBoaT
02-10-2006, 12:49 AM
There is a old saying....
If you want to truck to drive get a chevy, if you want a truck to work get a ford....
I have had both. Had alot more porbs with the GM trucks then I did with the ford. JUST IME

Squirtin Thunder
02-10-2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311avatar6074_0-thumb.gif (http://www.compcams.com/base/multimedia/soundbytes/compcams278.mp3) VShttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/231136_11_6-thumb.gif (http://www.compcams.com/Base/MultiMedia/SoundBytes/CompCams292.mp3)

maxwedge
02-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I have a Ford, but I think you should buy the new Toyota. If you need more power, get a nice used semi tractor for the same price as that new Super-Duty. It will last forever pulling a boat, and the neighbors will love you too. :D

Hardly Satisfied
02-10-2006, 02:24 AM
I had chevys before my 2004 ford crewcab 4x4 , love my truck. either chevy or ford you can't go worng.

Run_em_Hard
02-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Don't even hesitate...buy a real truck.
http://inlinediesel.com/multimedia/

cc322
02-10-2006, 05:20 AM
One more thought if you get the v10 get it with at least 4.30 gears it is a pulling mutha.

Run_em_Hard
02-10-2006, 05:21 AM
One more thought if you get the v10 get it with at least 4.30 gears it is a pulling mutha.
What kind of milage would you see doing, say 80?

Run_em_Hard
02-10-2006, 05:44 AM
My buddy just bought a Chevy Durmax HD diesel and it has a Isuzu engine in it. What's up with that?
Bet you didn't know that the Ford F650 has a Cummins motor...food for thought.

HammerDown
02-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Don't even hesitate...buy a real truck.
http://inlinediesel.com/multimedia/
Love the Engine...put I'll pass on whats around it.

NOTALENT
02-10-2006, 06:27 AM
CHEVY enough said. Call Jay Photoglou and get the best deal you will come across. Then and only then you will be happy. :D

a catered life
02-10-2006, 06:45 AM
CHEVY enough said. Call Jay Photoglou and get the best deal you will come across. Then and only then you will be happy. :D
i was wondering when someone was going to say that :p i have always had chevys and the one thing i can say is the service helps me ,ake a decision i have a few ford(diesel) friends and they have a few minor problems just like any new car but the one major difference is the service department when they take it in 2 out of 3 of them have had to change service departments because of bad service....not sure about you but if i spend 30-40 grand on anything if something goes wrong with it i want some attention asap not a run around.....i have never had a problem with chevy service and we have had 7 gm cars and trucks.........just my $.05 cents i didnt have any change :p

Nubbs
02-10-2006, 07:09 AM
There is a old saying....
If you want to truck to drive get a chevy, if you want a truck to work get a ford....
I agree.

jbtrailerjim
02-10-2006, 07:35 AM
I've always driven Ford trucks and have had good luck with them. I currently have a F-250 with the V-10 in it and I love it. I also prefer the looks of the Fords over the Chevys.

Redwing247
02-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Both trucks are nice. My new Chevy diesel much quieter than the Ford. :)

Jordy
02-10-2006, 07:38 AM
You can get them with a Cat as well. ;)

JB in so cal
02-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Im going gas as I cannot justify the added cost of the motor/trans, maint. and fuel. Only tow a few miles from the storage to the ramp.
I just went through this exact exercise. My last F250 was 5 years old and had 50,000 miles on it. Not a lot of usage.
My new one: '06 F 250 4X4, Lariat, V10, 4.10 rear, leather, moon roof, short bed. I love the truck. Rides VERY smooth. Major improvement from my old '01. First 1000 miles or so, I was getting 11-12 mpg per tank. Since then, I'm getting 12-13+ in combo driving. 100% hwy, I'll probably get 14 or so.
Even though I got a screaming deal, I just didn't want to drop $$$ on the diesel. Besides the initial premium, it's running about 30 cents more a gallon.
V-10 is a screamer!

Beer Factor
02-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Ford-Sorry Jay

laveydayz
02-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I drove a chevy for 18 years and switched to a Ford Superduty and never going back! It's a 1999 F250 longbed with the V10. Hads tons of pulling power. I just love it! Runs great even with 95,000 miles. Pulls my 28ft travel trailer with the greatest of ease. My buddy just bought a Chevy Durmax HD diesel and it has a Isuzu engine in it. What's up with that?
Isuzu has been building diesels longer than most of the mfg.

laveydayz
02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Sent Jay a pm to see what he can do on Chevy. Everyone says he's the man. My local dealer is a joke as far as pricing.I have looked hard at both and I think im sold on the Chevy again for the interior. The Ford is definetly a more stout truck but the interior is important to me. Thanks for all the feedback.

AzMandella
02-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I just bought a Ford at the end of July. Since you're not getting the diesel I won't go into my thoughts on the motor/tranny combos of either. I looked at both the Chevy and the Ford. The Chevy has a more "plush" interior and more standard goodies, like the dual zone ac/heat control and the rear view mirror with compass and thermometer. The dash and interior layout just looks more refined than the Ford. The Chevy sound system is also nicer. The Ford on the other hand is more truck-like. The dash is nice and functional, but more plain looking. The Ford has a lot more rear leg room. The door panels in the Ford are all plastic. I think that's a plus because you can just wipe them off when they get dirty. The Ford has a solid front axle. I consider that to be a major plus. The Ford also has a built in brake controller and the upfitter switches. I also like the extendable Ford trailer tow mirrors. I love the rear backup sensors on the Ford. All in all, both trucks are very nice. In my opinion, the Ford is set up to be a workhorse whereas the Chevy has more creature comforts. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. Oh, I almost forgot, I love the look of the Super Duty too. There's my thoughts for ya. PM me if you have any specific questions or want to talk to me about it.
Nubbs
You hit right on the head Nubbs.I think Ford thinks more about durability and Chevy thinks more about creature compforts.My 99 F-250 SD-PSD has been nothing but a workhorse for me.The thing I like about it the most is that it get's 13-14 mpg in the city and when I put my 3500LB camper on it and hitch up the boat it still get's abou 13 in town and 15 on the highway,even with the camper pushing all that air.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
02-10-2006, 09:50 AM
CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

redi4fun
02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I ultimately bought the Ford for the room in the crew cab and the durability of the truck. I liked the interior of the Chevy better, but it just seemed a bit cramped compared to the Ford. I like the looks of the Ford alot better.
What make it really difficult was the deal that Jay can get people on the boards, not to mention the follow up service his dealership can provide.
My PSD has been good to me so far.

riverracerx
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
If you need a FORD hookup, let me know. If you don't mind driving to North Hollywood! :rollside:

spectras only
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Go here : 'tow rig forums' :idea: > Any known problems with '04 Chevy/GMC 2500HD front ends? Sorry ,had to :p :D

Trigger
02-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Hello, mcfly......
Who owns Cummins......?
Ford
And it really comes with the 6.0 and many get the CAT.

AzMandella
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Hello, mcfly......
Who owns Cummins......?
Ford
And it really comes with the 6.0 and many get the CAT.
I thought Ford sold cummins to Mercedes years ago.The story I heard was Ford bought the Cummmins Corp. in the late 70's early 80's so they could use the R@D department to develop the Navistar in conjunction with International.And when they were done they contracted International to build the Powerstrke's and sold Cummins to Mercedes.

slingingsmoke
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a 2004 6.0 PSD w/ 39,000 miles on it and am probably gonna get the darn thing lemon lawed soon....not as reliable as I thought...
My dad just bought the 2006 D-Max...the freaking thing screams and gets awesome mileage. Turbo spool up sounds much nicer than our 04 D-max as well.
Two D-max's = no issues
one PSD = issues (unfortunately)

Jordy
02-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Who owns Cummins......?
Ford
Negative Ghostrider. Cummins owns Cummins. Cat owns Cat. Daimler-Chrysler owns Mercedes and Detroit Diesel. ;)
See for yourself. Click here. Right from the horse's mouth. (http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/products/dodgeram/faq/answers.cfm?uuid=000C518F-094B-1E31-850880C4A8F00000)

AzMandella
02-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Negative Ghostrider. Cummins owns Cummins. Cat owns Cat. Daimler-Chrysler owns Mercedes and Detroit Diesel. ;)
See for yourself. Click here. Right from the horse's mouth. (http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/products/dodgeram/faq/answers.cfm?uuid=000C518F-094B-1E31-850880C4A8F00000)
Thanx for clearing that up Jordy.It's funny but I have heard that rumor for years and even From a person I knew that worked for Ford believe it or not.

Jordy
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanx for clearing that up Jordy.It's funny but I have heard that rumor for years and even From a person I knew that worked for Ford believe it or not.
It's not the first time it's come up here either. I do have a little bit of inside edge on the diesel industry though with a Detroit Diesel logo on my business cards. ;)

AzMandella
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
It's not the first time it's come up here either. I do have a little bit of inside edge on the diesel industry though with a Detroit Diesel logo on my business cards. ;)
well I guess that clers that up!

PHOTOGLOU
02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Sent Jay a pm to see what he can do on Chevy. Everyone says he's the man. My local dealer is a joke as far as pricing.I have looked hard at both and I think im sold on the Chevy again for the interior. The Ford is definetly a more stout truck but the interior is important to me. Thanks for all the feedback.
Got your PM and I will get back to you with a price in the morning....
FYI One thing that Chevy has that Ford dosen't is a 1500 HD smoother ride Bigger rebates and cheaper price.... For what you are looking to do it sounds like this might be your best bet.......

THOR
02-12-2006, 08:26 PM
You can get them with a Cat as well. ;)
Jordy,
who makes the automotive CAT motors? I know in the compact equipment, they are Japanese made. There is ony one American made skid steer. Any guesses? :cool:

THOR
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I currently own an Excursion with a V10 and love it. But, if I were to buy now, I would go to Photoglou and get the Chevy Duramax with the Allison tranny. That is just me though.

UHHH SUCKA
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
My brothers got the Duramax and i got the 6.0 power stroke. In my opinion Chevy has the nicer looks, but the power in the Duramax cant touch the 6.0. I got the '03 F-350, 12" lift, 40" tires, 70,000 miles and no problems. Only modifications done were a exhaust and intake.

SummitKarl
02-13-2006, 12:01 PM
There is a good reason why the Ford Costs more :wink:
There is a good reason why Ford sells more trucks year after year, well it's decade after decade actually :)
QUALITY

Roaddogg 4040
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
If Karl says Ford I just have to say :yuk: Izzzzuuu Trucks. They are the BOMB!!!
Steve

SummitKarl
02-13-2006, 12:06 PM
If Karl says Ford I just have to say :yuk: Izzzzuuu Trucks. They are the BOMB!!!
Steve
IZZZZUUU.......................................... Bless you :rolleyes:

Roaddogg 4040
02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Why thank you very much...
Steve