PDA

View Full Version : HAHA... some one stole my metal jerry can some time today...

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I just hope they put it in thier car... So why am I laughing?
it did not have gas in it... it had 2 gallons of MEK in it... I really hope they have a fuel injection and a plastic gas tank. :D

ChumpChange
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the warning. I almost put that in my car.

Old school Ultra
05-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Whats MEK?

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
Is a very powerful solvent. eats plastic for lunch.( its like actone on steriods)
here is a quick link about its hazards and propertys. link (http://www.thermodyn.com/MSDS_Sheets/MSDTHP2000.pdf)
was a google search... 1st link that came up.

wsuwrhr
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
It smarts in an open cut too.
I thought it smelled funny.
Sorry about your gas can, do you want it back?

Nord
05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I would doubt that they would have a plastic fuel tank..........

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I would doubt that they would have a plastic fuel tank..........
Most new cars have plastic fuel tanks...

Biglue
05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I just hope they put it in thier car... So why am I laughing?
it did not have gas in it... it had 2 gallons of MEK in it... I really hope they have a fuel injection and a plastic gas tank. :D
Shouldn't you have that stuff properly labeled and in proper containers??? Especially while transporting it. Isn't that some sort of hazmat violation? :idea:
Not only that, if it was a plastic gas container that was meant for GAS wouldn't a plastic GAS TANK hold up to it just as well????? :idea: :rolleyes:

Biglue
05-16-2007, 04:58 PM
...see metal Gerry can.
Why thank you Brian. Missed that part. :sqeyes:
Didn't even realize they still sold those. In either case, I'm pretty sure that shit needs to be properly labeled.

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Shouldn't you have that stuff properly labeled and in proper containers??? Especially while transporting it. Isn't that some sort of hazmat violation? :idea:
Not only that, if it was a plastic gas container that was meant for GAS wouldn't a plastic GAS TANK hold up to it just as well????? :idea: :rolleyes:
if I was planing on transporting it yes it would... I have a some old 5 gallon MEK cans that I use when I am transporting it. I have a about ~1/3( left over from a job... it was cheaper to buy a drum then it was 4 5 gallon cans... figure that one out) of a drum at home that I pull small quantiys out of.
In this case its what I use for "clean up" at home, its contaminated with varrios things( I let it settle then strain it... which is why it was out front.). I recycle as much as I can since it cost $$$$$$ to dispose of.

RitcheyRch
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks for telling me wasnt gas and thats what caused the damage to my truck. I am now going to sue you. :D :D :D

Biglue
05-16-2007, 05:10 PM
if I was planing on transporting it yes it would... I have a some old 5 gallon MEK cans that I use when I am transporting it. I have a about ~1/3( left over from a job... it was cheaper to buy a drum then it was 4 5 gallon cans... figure that one out) of a drum at home that I pull small quantiys out of.
In this case its what I use for "clean up" at home, its contaminated with varrios things( I let it settle then strain it... which is why it was out front.). I recycle as much as I can since it cost $$$$$$ to dispose of.
Out front.....as in "front of your house?" Sounds like you put yourself in situations where you'll need one of these firemen you talk about all the time. :idea: :D

DeltaSigBoater
05-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
Is a very powerful solvent. eats plastic for lunch.( its like actone on steriods)
here is a quick link about its hazards and propertys. link (http://www.thermodyn.com/MSDS_Sheets/MSDTHP2000.pdf)
was a google search... 1st link that came up.
I thought Acetone was stronger than MEK... huh, learned something new

Trailer Park Casanova
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Just like when my ice chest got stolen from our campsite at Emerald.
I got even,, it was full of Keystone.

Biglue
05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Just like when my ice chest got stolen from our campsite at Emerald.
I got even,, it was full of Keystone.
That has Waterwitch written all over it. :D :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Out front.....as in "front of your house?" Sounds like you put yourself in situations where you'll need one of these firemen you talk about all the time. :idea: :D
out front as in sitting in front of the garage door, behind my boat... this is not something you want to do indoors...unless its vented and you have a fresh air hood.
If something bad happends when your handling MEK...your toast... even firemen right there with thier hoses on could stop you from burning. And for the record, I am with in my legal limits of solvents in my county.( as I have less then 30 gallons of MEK) only way to put it out is dry chem or CO2. both of which are great to apply to a living person...:) The good news is it would boil as flash and would burn out in about 15 seconds...:)

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
I thought Acetone was stronger than MEK... huh, learned something new
MEK ( and its kissing cousins of the chemical world) is one of the main ingredients in most paint stripers.

wsuwrhr
05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
MEK ( and its kissing cousins of the chemical world) is one of the main ingredients in most paint stripers.
....you forgot to mention the ability to burn the lliving shit out your open cuts....
damn that used to hurt...
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
What do you think they would say about all three of my 5 gallon fuel jugs of VP C-12 on the side of my house?
Last week, with the fire......damn too bad....what could have been......I was hoping though....
No real estate commissions for an insurance claim.
Brian

Baja Big Dog
05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Does it go well with diet Coke??:D

brianthomas
05-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Light solvents such as MEK really should be grounded from the container to the tank as these build up a static charge when pouring and can often go ummmmmm,,,,,,boom!

Wet Dream
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
No, not unless its OVER 1000 pounds.

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Light solvents such as MEK really should be grounded from the container to the tank as these build up a static charge when pouring and can often go ummmmmm,,,,,,boom!
I use a hand pump and do not flow enough in quantiy for that to happen.
While MEK does have a low flast point of 23* F it does have a rather high auto ignition point of 941*F
its still alot safer(when it comes ignition) then acetone with a flash point of -4*F and a auto ignition point of 906.8*F as well as a lot lower boiling point( which I want to say is 125 compared to the boiling point of mek at 176)
I personally seen ppl ignite something with acetone( and LT) but I have never seen any one do that with MEK.( not saying it can't happen, but I've yet to see it or even hear about it, unless some one was smoking.)

kevin
05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
mek when put into a gas tank on a car bike etc is an oxidizer, almost like adding nitrous, certainly not good, but we had fun putting it lawnmower engine powered mini bikes.

heywood jablome
05-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Why thank you Brian. Missed that part. :sqeyes:
Didn't even realize they still sold those. In either case, I'm pretty sure that shit needs to be properly labeled.
so do you label the gas cans for your lawnmowers?