PDA

View Full Version : Who's had PRK Lasik??

justfloatn
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm getting it done in a couple hours and they say the recovery for PRK is three to five days:eek:
I wanted to go boating this weekend.
Anyone else have PRK Lasic:confused: what was your recovery time?

lucky
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm getting it done in a couple hours and they say the recovery for PRK is three to five days:eek:
I wanted to go boating this weekend.
Anyone else have PRK Lasic:confused: what was your recovery time?
i drove to the doctors the next day - best thing i have ever done - i personaly take it easy at home - as they don't make replacement eyes ( and you don't want to get an infectin - stayed out of the watrer for two weeks - ! best thing i evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrr did , well that and divorce:D

ACEB36TC
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I Had It Done And Love It. Only Problems I Saw People Have Were The Ones That Didn`t Explicitly Follow Post Surgery Directions. One Of Which Was To Not Touch Or Get Any Water In Your Eyes For Several Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs.HLB
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I had it done. It does take a few extra days to recover but no big deal. Use your drops so your eyes aren't too dry and sleep. That makes a big difference. I don't know about going to the lake/river so soon. You may want to postpone for a couple of weeks. Talk with your doctor.
Good luck!
Mrs.HLB

Caljamr
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I Had It Done And Love It. Only Problems I Saw People Have Were The Ones That Didn`t Explicitly Follow Post Surgery Directions. One Of Which Was To Not Touch Or Get Any Water In Your Eyes For Several Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. Your going to be putting 3 different eye drops in for the first day or two. almost every hour. Then it's on type of eye drop every two hours for a few days. I would be out in the dust, wind and water for the first week or two.

STV_Keith
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I did PRK too. Not being a contact wearer, the "bandaid" contact they put in is somewhat irritating the first few days. I would not consider going to the lake at all. Any place where wind/water or flying debris is a possibility would be out.
They tell you to stay out of the water for 30 days minimum, at least dunking your head.

gmocnik
05-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I did PRK too. Not being a contact wearer, the "bandaid" contact they put in is somewhat irritating the first few days. I would not consider going to the lake at all. Any place where wind/water or flying debris is a possibility would be out.
They tell you to stay out of the water for 30 days minimum, at least dunking your head.
Good advice...
there is a big difference between lasik and prk recovery times...
as you may or may not know, in lasik, a flap of the cornea is created and the laser ablates tissue under the flap, the flap is then laid back down over the ablated tissue. this flap helps lesson the pain and allows for quicker visual recovery.
in prk, the epithelium (outer cellular structure) of the cornea is abraded (nice word for scrapped off) and the tissue is ablated. the epi grows back over the course of a few days/week. this is why there is more pain and a longer visual recovery...the plus to prk is that there are no flap complications and some data suggests that there is a better subjective vision...especially with people with astigmatism...
listen to your doc...two eyes only...no spares..
20 years of ophthalmic experience....

gmocnik
05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Good advice...
as you may or may not know, in lasik, a flap of the cornea is created and the laser ablates tissue under the flap, the flap is then laid back down over the ablated tissue. this flap helps lesson the pain and allows for quicker visual recovery.
in prk, the epithelium (outer cellular structure) of the cornea is abraded (nice word for scrapped off) and the tissue is ablated. the epi grows back over the course of a few days/week. this is why there is more pain and a longer visual recovery...the plus to prk is that there are no flap complications and some data suggests that there is a better subjective vision...especially with people with astigmatism...

OutCole'd
05-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Good advice...
Damn, your smarter than I thought......:D

STV_Keith
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
One other thing you might not be aware of...I know I wasn't...is that with PRK, once they remove that "bandaid" contact, you are back to a rough cornea through which to focus. To me, this meant about 4-6 weeks of blurry vision that cannot be corrected with lenses, since you are trying to focus through a lens that isn't smooth.
With the bandaid contact, it acts as the smooth lens initially, so your vision gets pretty good in that first week...but be prepared for it to get blurry when they remove it.