PDA

View Full Version : Any body have Verizon for DirectTv & internet?

AirtimeLavey
05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
How''s the service and speed? Thinking of dumping Time Warner. Thanks.

cyclone
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
did you have a problem with time warner?

Jyruiz
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Are you talking about Verizon FIOS?

riverbound
05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I had Verizon come in and add all the fiber optic stuff to the house but never had it activated. Ended up going with Time Warner. I have been thinking of activating the Vrizon stuff because supposedly the internet is extremely fast.

lucky
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
How''s the service and speed? Thinking of dumping Time Warner. Thanks.
We are in a remote location - verison is ok - was not very happy with the roaming charges and the wireless card could be a lil more durable :D i will let you know after i get my third bill about their business conduct !

AirtimeLavey
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
did you have a problem with time warner?
Since TW took over for Adelphia, seems as though the internet is slower, and I've had more cable service interuptions/issues. Today, Verizon quoted me about $50 less per month for Direct + internet + 1st DVR free.
Are you talking about Verizon FIOS?
Not sure what FIOS is. Is that fiber optic? I'm pretty sure they were just quoting DSL and Direct.
I had Verizon come in and add all the fiber optic stuff to the house but never had it activated. Ended up going with Time Warner. I have been thinking of activating the Vrizon stuff because supposedly the internet is extremely fast.
Let us know how well that goes if you hook it up. TW has had some transition issues I think when they took over Adelphia. May not be their faults, as Adelphia had issues. Adelphia did seem a little more reliable, though.
We are in a remote location - verison is ok - was not very happy with the roaming charges and the wireless card could be a lil more durable :D i will let you know after i get my third bill about their business conduct !
I was looking at DSL and DirectTV. For wireless, I have Cingular/Att/Whatever they're calling themselves this month. Their coverage is pretty good for both cell and air card - except at my house. I have to go stand on the front porch for decent recpt. :mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-21-2007, 02:00 PM
I've got Verizon DSL at my house. No real problems with it.
They just recently came through and did the FIOS work in the nighborhood but I decided to stay with my regular DSL due to price difference...Since they are pushing the FIOS, where it is available, they are cutting the regular DSL rates...I've got the same speed I've had for the last year but I'm now paying $15 less per month...For regular browsing FIOS is not needed...Now if you're heavily into online gaming that's another thing...

AirtimeLavey
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
People talk about the speed of their connection, but I have not seen the numbers. What are the speeds? up and down, #'s please. :)
Verizon said their DSL is 3 megs.

Pheelin Phroggy
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
We have verizon dsl... seems pretty fast, we use it with a linksys wireless. The only problem we had is when we had to list our phone as a business to get any issues fixed within a 24 hr time period, otherwise it could take up to 2 weeks to get anything fixed. We had Direct TV for 11 years, was happy until they decided charging me 60 bucks for a new remote was more important than keeping my business, we now have Dish Network and are happy.

Riverkid
05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Actually I have two FIOS units. One for the house and the other with fixed IP for the server. It's fantastic. TV works awesome and you can play from the HD DVR in one room to any TV in the house...

Parker Dreamin
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I am running Verizon FIOS as well... dont know the exact speeds. We can switch to the TV service as well but I have not looked into it yet.

Parker Dreamin
05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Last Result:
Download Speed: 5585 kbps (698.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1634 kbps (204.3 KB/sec transfer rate

Havasu_Dreamin
05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
I have Verizon FIOS internet and TV. Here's a test I just ran a few minutes ago:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 15341 kbps (1917.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1426 kbps (178.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Last Result:
Download Speed: 5585 kbps (698.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1634 kbps (204.3 KB/sec transfer rate
Just as a comparison since I have regular Verizon DSL:
Download: 748 kbps
Upload: 137 kbps
Damn, that's sssslllloooowwww.....

6 Dollar Boat
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Once you have FIOS, you could never go back to DSL or cable modem. It's like dial up.
What he said......Time Warner's cable internet kept shutting down on my days off.....so I stopped at one of the many Verizon vans in the neighborhood and scheduled a switch to FIOS....
now my speeds are...
DL 15,471 kbps
UL 1412 kbps
FIOS smokes cable..:D

Wheeler
05-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Cable in Parker Az.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 2742 kbps (342.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 397 kbps (49.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
This is much faster than two years ago, but still slow compared to standard cable in OC. A friend came out and said, " how did they come up with the name Cheetah, it should be called Hippo"

SurfOnH20
05-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Just got Verizon Fios and I am not looking back. The service exceeds anything I experienced with Dish and Time Warner. For 99.00 bucks a month for phone, internet and TV service you be a fool not to jump on that bus..

BoatPI
05-22-2007, 05:48 AM
I have had FIOS for over two years and it is fast and has worked flawlessly. NO DONT use Verizons net phone service as their customer support sucks and is not 7 days a week.
The new HDTV serive is more expensive that TW cable. the package pricing is the same by the HD boxes are $10 each so the effective rate at at least $20 per month over TW cable.
My FIOS supports two computers and two Sunrocket VIOP phone sysrems perfectly.
www.sunrocket.com
The best phone service that I have ever had.

SJRS1
05-22-2007, 06:10 AM
I have Verizen Fios and have not had any problems, was just sent an offer on the tv services but havent given it much thought
Last Result:
Download Speed: 15635 kbps (1954.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1829 kbps (228.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Wheeler
05-22-2007, 06:48 AM
This VIOS, has some great speeds! I checked and it is not available here. So much for living in the sticks. :( On the bright side, I can see the river as I type! :D

Riverkid
05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
You do need to watch there guys. I wanted a second fiber line installed. They showed up on Friday with a trencher to cut a new conduit up to the house through the lawn!
"We could never get two fiber lines through the Existing"
Yes you can, I do that kinda stuff all the time.
"workorder says we trench"
Where the new fiber cable?
pull out the fish and run it right up to the house..
Easy Friday for them.

Parker Dreamin
05-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Just got Verizon Fios and I am not looking back. The service exceeds anything I experienced with Dish and Time Warner. For 99.00 bucks a month for phone, internet and TV service you be a fool not to jump on that bus..
well shit.. I might have to look into that.

AirtimeLavey
05-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the comments and comparisons.
My TW cable speed: download 5819 (727.4 kbps)
upload 493 (61.6 kbps)
:idea: Think I'll look into the FIOS.