PDA

View Full Version : Props for Havasu PD in the Channel

Keith E. Sayre
05-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately we're always eager to post the bads and not the goods. I suppose that is human nature. With that in mind, I give props to the Havasu
PD guy (and stupid me, I didn't get his name) for being a great guy.
I was standing in front of Crown Royals 32 DCB (nice boat!) when a lady sat
an empty beer bottle on the sea wall. I'm sure that her intentions were to
put it int he trash whenever she climbed over the wall. But as life is, she
was greeting some friends and probably forgot about the bottle. A few minutes later a Havasu Police Officer slowly and with a very big grin on his
face approached on his 4 wheeler, stepped off and picked the bottle up and
put it in the trash. When he returned, the lady gave him that embarrassed
"I'm sorry" look, he smiled and said something about if it gets broke, it'll cause
10 people to get stitches in their feet before it all got picked up. She apologized and off he went. Oh, yes some will say "well that's what he is
supposed to do" but I say, thank you officer whatever his name was.
Maybe we couild have a thread once in a while talking about how much
the local PD or sheriff have helped people we know. Oh, never mind
noone would probably read that one!
I'll go one better, and see if I'm wrong. Last summer at the mouth of the
channel at the Thompson Bay end, I watched a young kid come out of the water with a big gaping slice in his leg. It was pumping blood. I watched
a Havasu PD grab that kids leg like a vice grip and stand there waiting for
the firedept emergency boys to get there. The reason that it deserves props
from me is because he didn't have any gloves with him and let's face it, that
is risking his own life to benefit another. If any guys from the PD's watchdog
group read this thread, NO I didn't get his name either; since I don't want
to get him in trouble for doing something that he probably deserves a medal
for.
Well, anyone else got a Prop for the boys in our city?
Keith Sayre

79 HUSTLER
05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Good thread... I got lit up while pulling up to my storage unit. The cop had followed me for a while then I pulled of the 95 and he lit me up pulled along side of me. He let me know that I had no lights lit up on my trailer (10:00pm) then drove off and he said to have a good night. Thought that was awsome, especially since I was pulled over before there just for having no front plate...
I have never once had a problem with the PD and have had many times where we could have been written up but did not. I think they do a good job overall...

Schiada76
05-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I was almost home from a 5.5 hour tow back from Parker doing about 75 in the number three lane. A CHP pulled up next to me and painted me with his spotlight, I lifted and he waved.:D

Kilrtoy
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
That must be Officer Friendly as we call him, He is a really cool person.

I DIG IT !
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
nice woork

riverroyal
05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
whats even greater is your new work address:D

Ziggy
05-21-2007, 04:50 PM
My episode involved the Highway Patrol.
As usual for a Calif. guy coming in on friday nite, I was hauling ass on the 95 between Bill Williams and Havasu. Way ahead of me I saw blinking red/blue lights. By the time I reached that area no cars were around. I kept on going at my speed. A short distance later I passed an old Datsun going 40ish with barely any lights functioning so I figured thats probably who was pulled over a ways back. Still on the throttle.
As I was approaching town I saw more taillights ahead but couldn't identify just yet....by the time I could I realized it was the Highway Patrol.
I slowed and followed. He pulled to the side and let me go by.......ah geez, I'm busted!:(
Sure enough, he lights me up. I'm just north of the SARA park entrance.
He approaches the truck on my wifes side, looks at me and says, "You were booking right along huh?" Yes sir, road is pretty empty at this time. He then says "Its also a stretch of road with many fatalities." He then points towards the lake and says, "you know it'll be here tomorrow, have a nice evening and drive safe please."
DAMN!!!!:eek: Flabergasted, how cool was that?
And the biggest thing is, ever since this time I have not driven in that manner because what he said made 100% clear as a bell sense.....what's an extra 20-30 minutes of driving over 5 hr period? I'd bet money that if he'd written a ticket to me it would not have had the same effect on me, if anything just the opposite.
As the saying goes, most times you can get more done with Sugar than you can with Spice.... So true, so true.
So thanks to this annonomous Az Highway Patrol officer.

Ziggy
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
whats even greater is your new work address:D
Hey RR, you got a little brown left on your nose :D:D:D

riverroyal
05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey RR, you got a little brown left on your nose :D:D:D
there something he sells now I may want around xmas:idea:

JB in so cal
05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
there something he sells now I may want around xmas:idea:
They're still working the bugs out.

riverroyal
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
They're still working the bugs out.
short,they have time:D

Phat Matt
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I have never had a problem with them out there and I hope it continues that way. They have always been cool to me. :)

Not So Fast
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Nice thread Keith, it is nice to hear some good things LE does if you know what I mean. All we seem to hear about are (yes, every dept has them) the a-- holes and it gives all law enforcement a black eye. ;)
How was the trip??? NSF

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
My episode involved the Highway Patrol.
As usual for a Calif. guy coming in on friday nite, I was hauling ass on the 95 between Bill Williams and Havasu. Way ahead of me I saw blinking red/blue lights. By the time I reached that area no cars were around. I kept on going at my speed. A short distance later I passed an old Datsun going 40ish with barely any lights functioning so I figured thats probably who was pulled over a ways back. Still on the throttle.
As I was approaching town I saw more taillights ahead but couldn't identify just yet....by the time I could I realized it was the Highway Patrol.
I slowed and followed. He pulled to the side and let me go by.......ah geez, I'm busted!:(
Sure enough, he lights me up. I'm just north of the SARA park entrance.
He approaches the truck on my wifes side, looks at me and says, "You were booking right along huh?" Yes sir, road is pretty empty at this time. He then says "Its also a stretch of road with many fatalities." He then points towards the lake and says, "you know it'll be here tomorrow, have a nice evening and drive safe please."
DAMN!!!!:eek: Flabergasted, how cool was that?
And the biggest thing is, ever since this time I have not driven in that manner because what he said made 100% clear as a bell sense.....what's an extra 20-30 minutes of driving over 5 hr period? I'd bet money that if he'd written a ticket to me it would not have had the same effect on me, if anything just the opposite.
As the saying goes, most times you can get more done with Sugar than you can with Spice.... So true, so true.
So thanks to this annonomous Az Highway Patrol officer.
:jawdrop:
we must have gotten stopped by the same HP.. We were just past videl junction. we were behind a black pick up truck.. He kept speeding up slowing way down, speeding up, slowing way down.. we try to pass. he moves so we can't.. then they start throwing beer bottles out of the passenger window so we slowed down.. They slowed down so when they slowed down Jamie hit the gas and passed.. we hit 85 to get a good distance from them to us. Well sure as shit.. HP pulled us over.. They flew by us and he said the same thing.. The river will be there tomorrow, you keep drivin the way you are.. you may not.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
I wanted to tell him about the black truck.. But by the time we stopped pulling our jaws up for not gettin the ticket.. we knew they were in town by then..

Ivan Dan
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
The wife and I were coming into town late (1:30am) on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving in 2005. I was towing a borrowed trailer with my Ford Ranger pre-runner on it and I was doing about 80 and blew right by a cop parked hiding out in the dark with no lights on. He pulled out and lit me up so I pulled over on the little side street right before Home Depot on the North end of town. He was very friendly and told me I had no running lights on the trailer but I did have brake lights. He also mentioned I was speeding. So he took my license and reg. and went back to his patrol car. I thought for sure he was gonna bust me for speeding and no trailer lights but he comes back with a written warning and told me to slow it down and Happy Thanksgiving. I was very happy/thankful for the warning and since then I have learned to not speed through that area and always laugh as people go blowing by me.
The funny part about this story is that my bro and mom had come out earlier that day and had gotten pulled over by the same cop and given the same warning.

Throttle
05-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I did get stopped in the golf cart for not having seat belts... he was only doin his job... my son was on the back seat, under 16 years of age... in another thread it may have been preceived as me beeing negative towards LE and that is NOT the case. I am thankfull for our local LE and the work they do... always! I did however think his badge was a bit heavy...:) certainly no harm done, along with what I thought was a funny story for ya...

havasu5150
05-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Good to see all of these positive encounters with LE.
Keith it was good to see you a couple of weeks ago. Good luck at your new position.....still can't get used to that new sig line! ;)

jrgaudettes
05-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Unfortunately we're always eager to post the bads and not the goods. I suppose that is human nature. With that in mind, I give props to the Havasu
PD guy (and stupid me, I didn't get his name) for being a great guy.
I was standing in front of Crown Royals 32 DCB (nice boat!) when a lady sat
an empty beer bottle on the sea wall. I'm sure that her intentions were to
put it int he trash whenever she climbed over the wall. But as life is, she
was greeting some friends and probably forgot about the bottle. A few minutes later a Havasu Police Officer slowly and with a very big grin on his
face approached on his 4 wheeler, stepped off and picked the bottle up and
put it in the trash. When he returned, the lady gave him that embarrassed
"I'm sorry" look, he smiled and said something about if it gets broke, it'll cause
10 people to get stitches in their feet before it all got picked up. She apologized and off he went. Oh, yes some will say "well that's what he is
supposed to do" but I say, thank you officer whatever his name was.
Maybe we couild have a thread once in a while talking about how much
the local PD or sheriff have helped people we know. Oh, never mind
noone would probably read that one!
I'll go one better, and see if I'm wrong. Last summer at the mouth of the
channel at the Thompson Bay end, I watched a young kid come out of the water with a big gaping slice in his leg. It was pumping blood. I watched
a Havasu PD grab that kids leg like a vice grip and stand there waiting for
the firedept emergency boys to get there. The reason that it deserves props
from me is because he didn't have any gloves with him and let's face it, that
is risking his own life to benefit another. If any guys from the PD's watchdog
group read this thread, NO I didn't get his name either; since I don't want
to get him in trouble for doing something that he probably deserves a medal
for.
Well, anyone else got a Prop for the boys in our city?
Keith Sayre
The boat parked next to us a few weeks back had a similar experience and the LE responded the same way, very cool.

riverbound
05-22-2007, 06:40 AM
:jawdrop:
we must have gotten stopped by the same HP.. We were just past videl junction. we were behind a black pick up truck.. He kept speeding up slowing way down, speeding up, slowing way down.. we try to pass. he moves so we can't.. then they start throwing beer bottles out of the passenger window so we slowed down.. They slowed down so when they slowed down Jamie hit the gas and passed.. we hit 85 to get a good distance from them to us. Well sure as shit.. HP pulled us over.. They flew by us and he said the same thing.. The river will be there tomorrow, you keep drivin the way you are.. you may not.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
I wanted to tell him about the black truck.. But by the time we stopped pulling our jaws up for not gettin the ticket.. we knew they were in town by then..
I wasnt throwing them at you I was hoping you guys would catch at least one....Next time just pull over so I can walk one over to you...... I wasted a lot of beer that night ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I wasnt throwing them at you I was hoping you guys would catch at least one....Next time just pull over so I can walk one over to you...... I wasted a lot of beer that night ;)
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D :D

Baja Big Dog
05-22-2007, 07:17 AM
In my older years Ive come to a couple of conculsions,
The differance between 70 mph and 85 mph on the typical trip from so cal is a little over a half hour.
The diff between 75 and 85 is less than a half hour.
The time it takes to pay for a $350 speeding ticket is is approx 12 hours (after taxes).
The time it takes for traffic school is approx 8 hours, if your lucky enough to get a ticket where you can take traffic school. (not in AZ).
Run your own figures on the cost of insurance, and the diff in milage when driving at diff speeds (which make a difference with todays gas $"s)
Do the math.....
Got an extra half hour??:idea:

Ziggy
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
BTW Kieth...great thread.

Baja Big Dog
05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Keith,
You got a court date for a ticket soon???
Or you puttting this one in the "kiss ass" bank?:D
Good post!!!

rvr_d8
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Keith,
You got a court date for a ticket soon???
Or you puttting this one in the "kiss ass" bank?:D
Good post!!!
Hey Baja......you treating my Ugly dog with big Lips Good??!
Kiss Azz Bank?! There's such a thing? :idea:
:) Dizzy...always Dizzy :)

Havasu1986
05-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I thought you were on the nite crew.:)

Ziggy
05-22-2007, 07:42 AM
You missed a spot when you mowed this weekend.. ;)

Baja Big Dog
05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
rvr...its all good. The lips are fine, I never thanked you for the Avi...thanks...people get a little freaked:D
Im a little set back about the "ugly" remark..thought I looked pretty good on that one!!

HM
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I was throwing dice in the alley when officer Leroy comes and he's like "I thought I told you..."
I was like "Yeah, what ever!"

rvr_d8
05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I thought you were on the nite crew.:)
I was....but when you left to walk the dogs.......I woke up.:rolleyes:
You forgot to take Baja for a walk....again!! Poor Ugly dawg:(

clownpuncher
05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Great thread here.
I have many to share, but, I'll throw this one out there.
About ten years ago, a good friend of many years and Deputy with 5 years on at the time was working patrol when a car right in front of him did a u-turn on a double yellow. Cut off a car in the process.
My buddy pulls him over, a total dirtbag (stunk, shitty car, appeared unbathed etc) and says something to the effect of
"what's your hurry....please try to abide by the traffic laws...don't want to see you in an accident....have a nice day"
Years later, same Deputy in the station dropping off some paperwork when a Captain he's never seen comes up to him and says
"Hello Deputy_______. I remember you"
"you do? From where?
"You pulled me over a few years ago for a traffic violation. I was working dope (under-cover) and looked like hell. You had no way of knowing I was a cop, but, you still treated this dirtbag with respect. I never forgot that"
My buddy will be making Sgt. real soon :D

phebus
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Great thread here.
I have many to share, but, I'll throw this one out there.
About ten years ago, a good friend of many years and Deputy with 5 years on at the time was working patrol when a car right in front of him did a u-turn on a double yellow. Cut off a car in the process.
My buddy pulls him over, a total dirtbag (stunk, shitty car, appeared unbathed etc) and says something to the effect of
"what's your hurry....please try to abide by the traffic laws...don't want to see you in an accident....have a nice day"
Years later, same Deputy in the station dropping off some paperwork when a Captain he's never seen comes up to him and says
"Hello Deputy_______. I remember you"
"you do? From where?
"You pulled me over a few years ago for a traffic violation. I was working dope (under-cover) and looked like hell. You had no way of knowing I was a cop, but, you still treated this dirtbag with respect. I never forgot that"
My buddy will be making Sgt. real soon :D
If he'd have just shot him, there would have been promotional opportunities sooner. :D

LHC30Victory
05-23-2007, 05:51 AM
If he'd have just shot him, there would have been promotional opportunities sooner. :D
SO that's how the FD works! I shoulda started there :D

Keith E. Sayre
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Clownpuncher: Great Story!
Ziggy: thanks
Not so Fast: Houston was great thanks for asking. Can you say WOW!
Keith Sayre
Here's another. About 15 years ago, when I lived in Provo, we were between
Searchlight and Vegas doing about 85 mph with the Schiada in tow (stupid I know) when we passed the man going the other way. Lights on, screeching
tires, I pulled over. He tells me, nice boat, but you should have left the
racing at the river, then he says where are you headed, while I got ready
to say back to the snow in Provo, the plaintiff leans over and says
"back to hell", the Nev Highway Patrol or actually I think it said Las Vegas
Metro guy busts up laughing and says I thought this 110 degree stuff was
hell. He turns around, gets in his blazer and drives off saying slow it down
over his loud speaker as he drives by! And like Ziggys story, it left such a
big impression on me that I did slow it down.
Keith Sayre