PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Check your Springs/Shackles!

CampbellCarl
05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I have never, ever, checked any trailer springs or shackle bolts/nuts. Walked by the Howard trailer and just happen to look between the tires and found the spring to shackle bolt backed out about 75%. Nut had fallen off (when?) and the bolt just about to fall out. Bought a new bolt/nut and when I went under the trailer to install, checked the forward bolt/nut and was handtight!
I don't know about the rest of youz guys but this is something I have NEVER checked but will in the future! I have no idea what kinda mess this could have made if both spring bolts went while headed down the I-40 and hope I never do find out. Please, just humor me and go look/check your trailers.
CC

Sherpa
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
good recomendation!
--Sherpa

CampbellCarl
05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanx Sherpa. Just one of those things that I never thought of checking. Always check/grease wheel bearings, tire pressure, tie-downs, saftey chains, lights etc. Just returned from a run to Lake Mohave and then one to Elsinore last weekend and found this afterwards. Kinda freeked me out!
CC

HM
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Carl...
I had the bolts on the rear driver side shackles come out on my old Campbell on the original trailer about 10 years ago. Luckily, I was going thru Mo Valley on the 60 at night and the trailer dropped (actually didn't feel the trailer drop) and the rear tire started rubbing the fender and started smoking. I think I caught it fairly quickly as the edge of the fender had worn a small groove in the tire..nothing big. I happen to have a couple of 1/2 bolts and fender washers to put it back together and made it to home depot just before they closed. I took the opportunity to replace all the bolts with nylock grade 8 setups (in the Home Depot parking lot).
After that, checking shackle and spring bolts is part of each pre-trip check. I also carry an extra set of shackles, bolts along with I carry extra bearings and races (did the bad bearing deal one year too). Now that I am prepared to rebuild my trailer on the side of the road....I probably will never have to!

HalletDave
05-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanx Sherpa. Just one of those things that I never thought of checking. Always check/grease wheel bearings, tire pressure, tie-downs, saftey chains, lights etc. Just returned from a run to Lake Mohave and then one to Elsinore last weekend and found this afterwards. Kinda freeked me out!
CC
I know the feeling.
Three years ago I returned home from a weeks' worth of Kings River & Pine Flat boating.
Once back home (Lancaster) backing the boat up the driveway I hear a clunk. I get out of the truck to check out the noise and find the nut on the hitch ball 3 threads from falling off. :eek:
What a sick feeling thinking what could have happened cruising down the highway.

Deano
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I know the feeling.
Three years ago I returned home from a weeks' worth of Kings River & Pine Flat boating.
Once back home (Lancaster) backing the boat up the driveway I hear a clunk. I get out of the truck to check out the noise and find the nut on the hitch ball 3 threads from falling off. :eek:
What a sick feeling thinking what could have happened cruising down the highway.
That happened to us about 500 miles deep in Mexico. Took about an hour to find it on the side of the road. :D