PDA

View Full Version : Attention Chevy Guys!!! (Steering Info)

HatenWinter
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I wanted to share this with you guys. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY, crew cab, long bed. It's got a 6 inch lift with 35's. Since I bought the truck about 3 months ago I have been very unhappy with the steering. At slow speeds I felt alot of movement in the steering shaft, if felt very "clunky". If I dry steered it even slightly it would make a strange sound too.
I was thinking maybe I need a steering stabilizer kit or that something was out of whack with the steering or suspension. I was getting ready to start spending some money tomorrow.
Well, to make this long story longer, a friend of mine called me today and said that GM issued a "service bulliten" for the intermediate shaft which goes into the steering box. The tend to have some play in them which is the reason for the movement I was feeling. They came out with the replacement part 2 months ago and will replace it free of charge. The guy at the dealership said the bad ones are in trucks up to 2006. There won't be a re-call because it's not a safety item.
I took mine to the dealer today and they swapped it out in 30 minutes. I can not believe how well the truck steers now, it's rock solid. Mine may have been exagerted due to the bigger tires. I would have given it a D+ before, now it's a A+. If you're having the same issues, take it to the dealer and have them fix it, you'll be happy you did. See, some things in life ARE FREE!!!:)

squirt'nmyload
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
love them service bulletins.....we had our denali in for service last week and had 1 freebie done. new slip yoke for the rear driveshaft :)

sigepmock
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
A bunch of the guys on Diesel Place.com have had the new shaft for awhile and that the clunk comes back in a few months. I've had my intermediate shaft replaced twice already on my 05 and getting the new one as we speak. Hopefully it lasts longer than the last two.
Chris

HatenWinter
05-22-2007, 04:52 PM
A bunch of the guys on Diesel Place.com have had the new shaft for awhile and that the clunk comes back in a few months. I've had my intermediate shaft replaced twice already on my 05 and getting the new one as we speak. Hopefully it lasts longer than the last two.
Chris
You just burst my bubble, that sucks! I can't believe they can't make it a permanent fix.

sigepmock
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
You just burst my bubble, that sucks! I can't believe they can't make it a permanent fix.
Sorry, I think we are all a little ticked about Chevy's inability to come up with a good fix.....but it's just a nusience item and not a safety deal so it doesn't get the same attention. At least this fix is supposed to last a little longer before the "clunk" comes back.

Kachina26
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Before they had the new shaft, there was a special lube kit that took care of it for awhile.

shippingguy
05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I have had the new shaft for a while now and put many miles on it and it has been great. I got it a few months back. It now has a tephlon sleeve. If the you replace it and the noise is there or comes back it is the lower column bearing that has gone bad. Had that changed out and it took maybe 15 minutes and all is good.

HatenWinter
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
This is comforting :D All along I was thinking it was just my truck. Oh well, hopefully this new shaft will last a long time...

spectratoad
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Before they had the new shaft, there was a special lube kit that took care of it for awhile.
Isn't that the service department motto at most dealerships????:D

Kachina26
05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Isn't that the service department motto at most dealerships????:D
It was an official kit, complete with an installation tool that required a 3 foot pry bar to pack it in. Now the last part is pretty standard at some shops :sqeyes:

DM57
05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I have an 04 and a year and half ago I had the same problem. I have the same set up, long bed and 6 inch lift with 35's. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and I have had no problems since. Hope you have the same luck. Recently I had the center support bearing replaced in the drive shaft, due to a vibration in the rear when I accelerated. I have 50k miles and the truck has been great otherwise.

HatenWinter
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Just spke to the service guy again at the dealership. He said originally they were just replacing the shaft with the same type. Evidently they have re-engineered it and this is what they are puuting in now. He felt confident that the problem has been solved. Hopefully :)

HatenWinter
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Just spoke to the service guy again at the dealership. He said originally they were just replacing the shaft with the same type. Evidently they have re-engineered it and this is what they are puuting in now. He felt confident that the problem has been solved. Hopefully :)

3queens
05-23-2007, 08:28 PM
the dealer is full of it
its a tsb on all chevy trucks and suvs
thy sell you a tube of grease and a seringe
temp fix
aftermarket co's have fixes not dealers
cant spell
www.borgenson.com is one

HatenWinter
05-24-2007, 08:44 AM
the dealer is full of it
temp fix
cant spell
www.borgenson.com is one
Actually it was replaced with a new re-designed shaft. I was able to look at my old one and the new one that they put in and they are different. I think the lube you're talking about was the temp fix, however I don't think they are doing that any longer. BTW thanks for the info on the PM.

shippingguy
05-24-2007, 11:17 AM
the dealer is full of it
temp fix
cant spell
www.borgenson.com is one
They actually are not full of it this time. I have had the new shaft for over 3 months now. It is completely different then the old one. It has a tephlon sleeve. The dealers WILL NOt grease them anymore. They replace them. Like I staetd in a previous post if the clunk is still there then the lower column bearing needs to be replaced and problem fixed. I had both done on my truck and it has been solid for the last 12,000 miles.

502schiada
05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
I was wondering about that, i have an 05 and its always clunked and squeeled when i turn. Thanks for the info, now i have a list of warranty work for them.!

socal87
05-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know the sevice bulletin number for this fix? My 05 LLY has the same clunk while turning the wheel.

HatenWinter
05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know the sevice bulletin number for this fix? My 05 LLY has the same clunk while turning the wheel.
I don't know the actual number but you should be able to just take it in and have it fixed at no charge.

lucky
05-25-2007, 08:33 AM
still has to piss you guys off a lil 50 grand for a truck you have to take to the shop - has to suck . sry

socal87
05-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't know the actual number but you should be able to just take it in and have it fixed at no charge.
I just noticed that you live in Camarillo. I'm just up the grade from you in Thousand Oaks. I'll take it into Courtesy Chevrolet and see if they can fix it for me.

HatenWinter
05-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I just noticed that you live in Camarillo. I'm just up the grade from you in Thousand Oaks. I'll take it into Courtesy Chevrolet and see if they can fix it for me.
That's where I took mine. Ask for Dave in the Service Dept. He'll take care of you!

JakeC.
05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
the new i-shaft is diferent than the old disign. i have installed quite a few of the new shafts into vehicles and they have yet to come back. that is including my own truck. i have also done the old lube kit as well, that did not work. gm has had at least 4-5 service bulitons for the shaft, none have worked until the new shaft was released. just as shippingguy said in his post, if you feel the clunk it could be the i-shaft and you should get it replaced. if the i-shaft does not take care of the concern then it will be the lower bearing in the steering colum. i do not beleave in what 3queens said about dealers not haveing the fix. we the dealers repair the vehicle how gm wants it repaired. gm did not have the fix until the new shaft was released. and i have also seen the same problem with after market shafts. this is all first hand experiance from working on these vehicles every day, diesles and gas. if anyone has a question that i might be able to anser feel free to pm me.

hondajoey
06-02-2007, 12:57 PM
how many miles are on your 05d-max i have the same truck with 30k on it and it never felt right.

socal87
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
how many miles are on your 05d-max i have the same truck with 30k on it and it never felt right.
I have a little over 19000

HatenWinter
06-05-2007, 09:32 AM

sigepmock
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm at just under 40k. Got the truck back with the new shaft in and so far so good.

LLGirl
06-06-2007, 05:18 AM
28000 miles on our 05. Just had the shaft done last friday because of this thread. Been bugging the shit out of us for ever. MUCH nicer now. Almost don't know how to drive it without all the clunking. Was in and out in under an hour.
mrll

HatenWinter
06-06-2007, 07:06 AM
28000 miles on our 05. Just had the shaft done last friday because of this thread. Been bugging the shit out of us for ever. MUCH nicer now. Almost don't know how to drive it without all the clunking. Was in and out in under an hour.
mrll
Thats exactly why I posted this, I'm glad you guys got it fixed! :)