PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.4L Diesel

Magic34
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
What is the verdict on this thing? Is it good to go or what?
I want a F-450 but want to make sure this motor and tranny is right before jumping out of my Duramax/Allison set up.
Anyone have any info?

Xlration Marine
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Contack the owner of Curb Tech. He can tell you all about the ford "Power Smoke". He is not a happy camper when it comes to the Power Smoke. Last seen at Gilbert and Queen Creek, with his curb machine.

grads2112
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I traded in my '05 6.0 for a '08 6.4 and it has been one of the best decisions I have made. I just towed with it for the first time last weekend and what a difference. Lots of power.

AZJD
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Mike be sure to do your research...... I have heard a few bad things, not that I am saying they are no good. I have just heard more bad about the Ford than the Chevy at this point.

Magic34
05-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Mike be sure to do your research...... I have heard a few bad things, not that I am saying they are no good. I have just heard more bad about the Ford than the Chevy at this point.
I am a few months out at this point, but want to see what the verdict is on this. My Chevy only has 12,000 miles on it and I am in no hurry to sell it. I wont get rid of it until enough good things come out about the 6.4L, or unless Chevy comes out with something to compete with the new 450.
When I get done, it will look like this, but dark gray.
I like it!!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Ford_F450.jpg

blown65
05-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I have one, but only 3k miles. Not nearly enough to say one way or the other.
I would say though fuel mileage with the 4.88's sucks. 11.5 at best mixed driving highway and 7-8 towing the boats.
I'd probably shoot for the 4.30's version unless your going to be towing real heavy. Otherwise I have zero complaints. (Something I can't say about my C5500)
Plenty of power stock, boat loaded was probably pushing 10k with all the crap in it and fuel. Only shifted down once going up all the hills from So. Oregon to Shasta Lake.
Quality of the King Ranch is far better than the GM IMO. Much quieter and tight sounding, however I haven't been in the newest ones with the redone interior. (Except our Denali)

AZJD
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
I am a few months out at this point, but want to see what the verdict is on this. My Chevy only has 12,000 miles on it and I am in no hurry to sell it. I wont get rid of it until enough good things come out about the 6.4L, or unless Chevy comes out with something to compete with the new 450.
When I get done, it will look like this, but dark gray.
I like it!!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Ford_F450.jpg
Don't get me wrong, IMO that truck looks crazy good, however that being said, they ride like tanks. I need a good comfy daily driver with tow capability.
My GMC 2500HD pulls great. I don't however have a yacht, so you may have to sacrafice comfort for effectiveness. I am just not sure about that twin turbo set up!!!!

AZJD
05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
And you gotta put some of these on it!
http://www.americanforcewheels.com/

blown65
05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, IMO that truck looks crazy good, however that being said, they ride like tanks. I need a good comfy daily driver with tow capability.
My GMC 2500HD pulls great. I don't however have a yacht, so you may have to sacrafice comfort for effectiveness. I am just not sure about that twin turbo set up!!!!
Have you been in the new F450's? Compared to my 05 lifted 2500hd the ride isn't much different. I would say its a little stiffer/bouncy but nothing outragious like my C5500 was. They did change the suspension on the 08's from what I understand and they actually ride pretty nice IMO.

blown65
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
And you gotta put some of these on it!
http://www.americanforcewheels.com/
I think those might be the wheels we have on our 3500HD at work. 3 of the 4 the clearcoat is peeling off, and one the wheel cracked at the bead. (They sure look the same at least)

Baja Big Dog
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately physics play a major role in the quality of the ride of ANY truck.
If you want a truck that will haul a ton and a half then the suspension needs to stout enough to support the demand, and by accomplishing this the ride quality is going to suffer...Just the facts...

AZJD
05-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately physics play a major role in the quality of the ride of ANY truck.
If you want a truck that will haul a ton and a half then the suspension needs to stout enough to support the demand, and by accomplishing this the ride quality is going to suffer...Just the facts...
I will pull door to door with any ford F-250 in my 2500HD, but mine rides day and night better than the ford. They are big, loud and very tankish! I have riddin in several as recent as last weekend, and wouldn't trade the comfort of my truck.

YeLLowBoaT
05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I will pull door to door with any ford F-250 in my 2500HD, but mine rides day and night better than the ford. They are big, loud and very tankish! I have riddin in several as recent as last weekend, and wouldn't trade the comfort of my truck.
but can you make a Uturn with out having to back up??? From what i understand the new toy half ton is the same way...
I don't know any one that has had probs with the 6.0 that did not fook with it...bootum line over the next 5-7 years all diesels are going to have some type of prob with the newer emission standards that they will need to meet... just like all the gas engines( for all mans) did, every time they made a major change.

Magic34
05-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I owned a 4500 Kodiak for 5 LONG months... I know what a tank rides like. :)

Run_em_Hard
05-23-2007, 04:37 AM
I have heard that you basically have to pull the cab off to do anything more than an oil and filter change:confused:

Liberator TJ1984
05-23-2007, 04:58 AM
I have heard that you basically have to pull the cab off to do anything more than an oil and filter change:confused:
This is true , the cab has latches ? from the best I understand from the dealer here , all electronics plug in at a junction box, hoses etc...are quick couplers ....steering wheel is on a referenced keyed shaft that just slides apart ...lift the whole cab off to do any major repairs , he said they can have one off in about an hour or less:idea:

ZBODaytona
05-23-2007, 06:19 AM
I have heard mixed reviews. Some people have gotten it and love it, then there is my mechanic friend and he says they are having problems.... Says he knows of three in our area that are having major failures. Take it for what it is worth..but I think i will wait a year or so for the new version. My 05 just everything i need, plus i only need the 350

INSman
05-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Great "Looking" truck, just not the proven Duramax/Allison combo you are used to.

blown65
05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Great "Looking" truck, just not the proven Duramax/Allison combo you are used to.
I agree 100%. If GM would of had something that compares to the F450 other than the TopCraps I would of jumped on it. I already went thru a yr of owning a Topkick that spent 9 of the 12 months in the shop.

Magic34
05-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I agree 100%. If GM would of had something that compares to the F450 other than the TopCraps I would of jumped on it. I already went thru a yr of owning a Topkick that spent 9 of the 12 months in the shop.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Even if the 3500 dually bumped up t0 19k-20k towing, then I would be all over it.
The Kodiaks suck a$$!!!!!! I lost more money on the Kodiak in 6 months than any boat I have owned so far.

Havasu1
05-23-2007, 07:47 AM
What is the verdict on this thing? Is it good to go or what?
I want a F-450 but want to make sure this motor and tranny is right before jumping out of my Duramax/Allison set up.
Anyone have any info?
I wouldn't buy any first year truck that has gone through a major overhaul. Bowtie, Ford, Dodge or Toyota. I have an 06 F250 diesel. They say the 6.0 had many problems. The only one I have encountered is the main seal (this is one of the nagging issues with the 6.0)has been replaced twice and I have 25k miles. Out side of that, it has been great. The milage gets better as it gets more miles on it. I get about 15 mpg but it goes down to 11 when I am towing. Though I have heard chevys get a few 2-3 mpg better.
I have a few good friends that are mechanics at a local Ford Dealership, they say that they do have to pull the cab off the new superduty but they also did it on the last generation superduty for major service work. It's just easier. The new superduty is set up better to remove the cab. They also said this was the most tested diesel engine ford ever put out. I would say what ever make you get, make sure it comes with a 100k mile warranty. My main seal replacements were free due to the warranty, otherwise it would have costed me about $1,000.00:jawdrop:
As far as recalls go, all cars seem to get them. My wifes 06 Honda accord has been recalled two times for safety issues.:confused: I thought I even heard that the new Tundra has been recalled? Though I am not 100% sure.

blown65
05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
As far as recalls go, all cars seem to get them. My wifes 06 Honda accord has been recalled two times for safety issues.:confused: I thought I even heard that the new Tundra has been recalled? Though I am not 100% sure.
Both of the 07 Denalis have had recalls on them, both of our GM Express vans have had recalls on them. Just minor stuff, just like the Ford and the computer flash. My CTS-V had a recall, I swear almost any new car gets one or two anymore.
My C5500 has 5600 or so miles on it after a yr of ownership. (cause of it being in the shop so damn much) My F450 already has 3000 miles and not one issue. Like I said, go drive one, if you think that rides like a tank then I dunno what to say, you obviously never been in a rough riding truck then.

Havasu1
05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Both of the 07 Denalis have had recalls on them, both of our GM Express vans have had recalls on them. Just minor stuff, just like the Ford and the computer flash. My CTS-V had a recall, I swear almost any new car gets one or two anymore.
Do you think they rush the cars out to production to fast? Or are cars/trucks just getting too technical and complicated with all the new technology and wiz-bang-gizmos on them?

Baja Big Dog
05-23-2007, 07:59 AM
We have swapped motors in a few Fords with diesels, and yes the cab has to come off, it sounds worse than it is.
The wiring plugs in to the harness', and the brake lines from the abs system come off, it is actually easier to swing the engine with the cab off.
Timed my guy on the last one, the cab was in the air, the engine was out, when the new one arrived it was installed and the truck was running in 6 hours, its kinda nice, the question comes up, what truck can you swing an engine in and not remove the hood or the radiator???
And yes, before all you Chevy Nazi's start to chime the Chevy cab also has to come off!
do a lot of business with a very large ford dealer, strictly trucks, the when I want to know anything about motors I ask the guys working on them, the new motor has had very few come backs, they had some programming issues early on. Not seeing the sensor problems like the 6.0.
But like they say, guys are not pumping them up yet, which leads to most of the problems with these trucks.

Magic34
05-23-2007, 08:03 AM
But like they say, guys are not pumping them up yet, which leads to most of the problems with these trucks.
I would be leaving the motor stock with exception to exhaust. That would be the only aftermarket performance upgrade i would do.
I want every mile of that warranty to count.

Baja Big Dog
05-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I would be leaving the motor stock with exception to exhaust. That would be the only aftermarket performance upgrade i would do.
Unfortunately you seem to be the exception rather that the rule. Exhaust and air cleaner are a must, but leave the fuel alone.
Not sure what you can do to the exhaust on the new 6.4's??:confused:

Run_em_Hard
05-23-2007, 12:11 PM
This is true , the cab has latches ? from the best I understand from the dealer here , all electronics plug in at a junction box, hoses etc...are quick couplers ....steering wheel is on a referenced keyed shaft that just slides apart ...lift the whole cab off to do any major repairs , he said they can have one off in about an hour or less:idea:
So an hour at the shop goes for what, $75 + an hour nowadays?
No thanks, that is the stupid thing that I have ever heard of. All they are doing is insuring future business:mad:

Baja Big Dog
05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
So an hour at the shop goes for what, $75 + an hour nowadays?
No thanks, that is the stupid thing that I have ever heard of. All they are doing is insuring future business:mad:
What are you saying?...shop rates are around $90 in the so Cal.

BowTie Rick
05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I have heard you have to sign something stating you will not alter the exhaust before taking delivery. With the particle traps already causing fires out the tailpipe, I could see where they (Ford) might be concerned. I heard this from peeps at aftermarket exhaust companies.

Big Kahunaa
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
here is a clean one on ebay
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9f/8c/700d_12.JPG
not
http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9f/8c/7af6_12.JPG

Magic34
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I have heard you have to sign something stating you will not alter the exhaust before taking delivery. With the particle traps already causing fires out the tailpipe, I could see where they (Ford) might be concerned. I heard this from peeps at aftermarket exhaust companies.
OK, so I would leave the exhaust as is.
I thnk I will wait until January 08 to do something then. Make sure this thing is dialed in.

Baja Big Dog
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
here is a clean one on ebay
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9f/8c/700d_12.JPG
not
http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9f/8c/7af6_12.JPG
DOHHHH:eek: :)