PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Das Boat

blacksheepvictor
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know if this (http://www.claymagic.net/ClayMagic-Products.htm) stuff or other products like it are safe for boats.

BigDoug
05-22-2007, 09:32 PM
To answer your question, yes it is safe..............but why do you need it for your boat ?............................iv'e never used a clay bar on a boat before cause iv'e never had a need for it, what's going on with your gel ?.......if i can help you let me know ? :D

blacksheepvictor
05-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I just seems like the gel is'nt as smooth as others I've touched. Even after waxing. This is my first boat and I bought it used. It's clean but I'm not sure what the previous owner's detailing regiment was. Thought maybe a clay type product would assist.

BigDoug
05-23-2007, 05:44 AM
I believe i see a Cobra in your avatar, if this is the boat in question ? atleast we have a good starting point. Cobra has one of the best gels out there so we can rule out boat manufacturer, a couple of pimples or high spots but not a rough surface.
I would take it down to your local professional detailer in town and let him give you an idea of what might be happening and an honest opinion, if you come out to Havasu i can take a look at it for you while your here. :D

SOCALDETAIL1
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Sounds like overspray to me??????? Mark

essexjet
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds like overspray to me??????? Mark
Mike, I would have Mark look at it before clay bar it. He just did the Lavey on Tuesday and it came out awesome.
Thanks again Mark.
James

Magic34
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
All that had to have happened could be that it was in the shop one day and they could have been spraying a boat or trailer nearby. It could have gotten overspray on it.
I have used a clay bar on a boat. Main thing is to put a good product on after it to keep it from happening again.

zudnic
05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not a pro have done more details on cars that I should have been paid for and very picky owner with my cars. Your boats finish like a cars paint does breathe. Like a car can see a boats pours getting clogged and thats what these clay bars do, removes them. Gel is pretty tough and cant see this hurting, in fact think it will work......

SOCALDETAIL1
05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Mike, I would have Mark look at it before clay bar it. He just did the Lavey on Tuesday and it came out awesome.
Thanks again Mark.
James
Thanks James, Your girlfriend and her mom were very nice, Pm me yours and hers t-shirt size and I'll put them in the mail. Mark

SOCALDETAIL1
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
All that had to have happened could be that it was in the shop one day and they could have been spraying a boat or trailer nearby. It could have gotten overspray on it.
I have used a clay bar on a boat. Main thing is to put a good product on after it to keep it from happening again.
Thats what I'm saying. I see it everyday, most of the time if you can find out who did it they will pick up the bill. Mark

beaverretriever
05-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Clay bars are designed to remove contaminants (industrial fallout, rust, overspray, etc). If you are keeping your boat covered you shouldn't have much of that stuff.
One issue I see with everyone using claybars is they dont finish the job. If you utilize a bar, the vehicle WILL need a polish after the bar. When you rub the bar over the surface it picks up the contaminats and drags them all over your surface causing micro scratches. Although to the human touch it may feel smooth, the surface will be scratched. If you ever want to see scratches; pull the vehicle/boat in a garage with fluourescent lights and you will see every flaw.
Good luck.

Magic34
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Clay bars are designed to remove contaminants (industrial fallout, rust, overspray, etc). If you are keeping your boat covered you shouldn't have much of that stuff.
One issue I see with everyone using claybars is they dont finish the job. If you utilize a bar, the vehicle WILL need a polish after the bar. When you rub the bar over the surface it picks up the contaminats and drags them all over your surface causing micro scratches. Although to the human touch it may feel smooth, the surface will be scratched. If you ever want to see scratches; pull the vehicle/boat in a garage with fluourescent lights and you will see every flaw.
Good luck.
Whatever you do, dont put it under the light. It will make you sick. Even if you didn't clay it, dont do it. You'll see all the scratches you have from sand and everything else.