PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever heard of Vaughn boats?

502schiada
02-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I was told my boat is a Vaughn, a copy of a Schiada mold. Took it up to Schiada and thats what he thinks it is, does anyone know anything about or have you heard of them? If so can you get me a number for them. I would like to find out more about it. Thanks

life's a river
02-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Nice boat! Where did you get it and how much $'s. The only Vaughn that I have heard of is a fishing boat. www.vaughnboats.com
LAR

SUPERDUTYRHINO
02-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I almost bought one before I bought my first Schiada, I believe Lee(Spindler) was very upset. They were splashed for sure. Maybe check Hot Boat or Powerboat archives, someone did a test on them.

team933
02-11-2006, 09:49 AM
I have a hocking which is a copy or next generation from your boat. Ski raced for 13 yrs rivers lakes and ocean. Practice in the Catalina channel only and not one stress crack or any damage. plus our team has won stock day cruiser 7 times. :cool:

me4drvr
02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Ask Bigkatboat from the cat forums... he's know all.... :220v:

haulina29
02-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Im not sure that Ron owned Schiada when the Vaughns were first made . If so Lee was in High school .

502schiada
02-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Nice boat! Where did you get it and how much $'s. The only Vaughn that I have heard of is a fishing boat. www.vaughnboats.com
LAR
Thanks. Got it out of the recycler for 6,000 with a hyrolocked 502 gen vi motor and a brand new 468. Rebuilt the 502 and sold the 468.
The hull is in exellent condition , not a crack on it. Rides beautifully. Its also supposedly a 1979.

502schiada
02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Haha yea i just might :rollside:

boatsnblondes
02-11-2006, 08:30 PM
God, if that ain't a splash, I don't know what is...the harddeck is a bit different...but the bottom and the bow are unmistakable...now, the hell with the Vaughn...I love Schiadas.....post some shots of your boat.....thanks...

502schiada
02-12-2006, 02:48 PM
These are the only pics i have right now, i'll be getting some more soon.

boatsnblondes
02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
No, don't you have a Schiada????

weekendwarrior
02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
I was told my boat is a Vaughn, a copy of a Schiada mold. Took it up to Schiada and thats what he thinks it is, does anyone know anything about or have you heard of them? If so can you get me a number for them. I would like to find out more about it. Thanks
Looks like either a Spectra or Shiada copy to me.

502schiada
02-12-2006, 08:11 PM
This is the boat i was told was a schiada when i bought it, I actually talked to the second owner of it today,(the guy i bought it from), and he said it is a schiada copy that a guy was making for ski racing. Its from a 25 foot mold of a schiada that they cut down to 22 feet and made the nose more pointed. So theres really no name for it, just a custom boat.

mondorally
02-13-2006, 08:56 AM
This is the boat i was told was a schiada when i bought it, I actually talked to the second owner of it today,(the guy i bought it from), and he said it is a schiada copy that a guy was making for ski racing. Its from a 25 foot mold of a schiada that they cut down to 22 feet and made the nose more pointed. So theres really no name for it, just a custom boat.
Here's a few pics of a 22' Schiada for comparison. The two are definately similar. Did they make a 25' Schiada?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2001River.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2001River2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2001chillin.jpg
Justin

BADAXE
02-13-2006, 09:11 AM
The story I heard (may or may not be true) is that Leonard Schiada loaned his 24' mold to his friend Vaughn. Vaughn modified the mold to 22' and made a few boats. Then somehow the mold changed hands and Hocking Boats made a few boats from. Then the mold became available and Howard Custom Boats bought it and redesigned the deck and through the years have modified the bottom. Howard uses that bottom with numerous deck configurations. When Howard decided they wanted to start making bigger boats they took that bottom and lengthed it, added a step to it and built an all new deck and called it the 28' Bullet.

502schiada
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Yea, thats supposedly what it is, a longer schiada hull copy they cut down to 22 and changed the nose.

phebus
02-13-2006, 09:34 AM
It's hard for me to beleive that someone in the boating industry would "splash" someone elses design. :rollside:

Riverkid
02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
We did the interiors in the Hockings for Roger back in the day. They were well built boats, solid and not shy with the glass. Roger was a very nice guy to deal with. I got a ride in one out at Parker way back when. It was a really nice handling boat... I don't doubt yours has held up well. :)

slink
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
We did the interiors in the Hockings for Roger back in the day. They were well built boats, solid and not shy with the glass. Roger was a very nice guy to deal with. I got a ride in one out at Parker way back when. It was a really nice handling boat... I don't doubt yours has held up well. :)
My first boat was a Hocking 20.5'. Do you remember / know Kevin? (I think he and Roger were partners), anyway, His old 20.5' is still running on Parker

Riverkid
02-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I met him as well. I'm surprised they didn't go farther, as they really took care of their customers. Those guys were just super to work with. That was a big change from a lot of the OEM guys at the time... They built nice boats (obviously - look at those molds)... :) I'm sure anything they built is still going strong, they didn't take any shortcuts on the construction that I could see.

slink
02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I met him as well. I'm surprised they didn't go farther, as they really took care of their customers. Those guys were just super to work with. That was a big change from a lot of the OEM guys at the time... They built nice boats (obviously - look at those molds)... :) I'm sure anything they built is still going strong, they didn't take any shortcuts on the construction that I could see.
I am suprised to. Kevin was a good guy, we became friends after the sale of our boat and hung out alot back then. He is actually responsible for me being in L.E as his whole family was cops. I know he left Hocking to go into the printing business with his father in law. I dont think that worked out for him to well. Last I heard he is/was the GM at Weir Canyon Honda in Yorba Linda.