PDA

View Full Version : Fallbrook, CA Idiot Golfer Dies After Cart Plunges Off Cliff

lewiville
05-22-2007, 08:27 PM
FALLBROOK, Calif. - A golfer died Tuesday after his golf cart plunged 75 feet off a cliff and crashed onto a road below, authorities said.
The 65-year-old man teed off with three friends on the second hole of the Pala Mesa Resort Golf Course about 50 miles north of San Diego at around 10 a.m. and then got into his cart.
The vehicle veered off the concrete pathway, traveled down a 25-foot embankment and went over the edge of the cliff, California Highway Patrol spokesman Tom Kerns said.
The victim, a recently retired real estate agent from Irvine, was ejected shortly before the cart hit the road beneath the cliff and died on impact, Kerns said. His name was not immediately released.
No one else was involved in the crash.
Investigators will inspect the golf cart for mechanical failures, Kerns said. Drugs or alcohol were not thought to have been factors in the crash

Kachina26
05-22-2007, 08:51 PM
No seat belt, huh? See Throttle, the cop was just trying to help you. Seriously though, a tragic deal.

beaverretriever
05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I know its bad, but I just had to laugh... I mean how many people really die golfing each yr. :confused: :D
Could you imagine trying to explain how your father died..."Yeah, he was golfing and shot his golf cart of a cliff; and thats all she wrote".
You honestly couldn't tell that story to anyone without them laughing.

mrs.rvrluvr
05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I know its bad, but I just had to laugh... I mean how many people really die golfing each yr. :confused: :D
Could you imagine trying to explain how your father died..."Yeah, he was golfing and shot his golf cart of a cliff; and thats all she wrote".
You honestly couldn't tell that story to anyone without them laughing.
I'm sorry....but thats funny..:D :D

JetBoatRich
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Golf is a crazy sport:rolleyes:

lewiville
05-22-2007, 11:21 PM
candidate for the Darwin award?

HBjet
05-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Golf is a crazy sport:rolleyes:
5% of ALL lightning fatalities are from Golf.
From 1959 - 1994 there were 3239 lightning deaths
5% is 162 GOLF related deaths, JUST from lightning ALONE!
I'd rather die by gold cart then by lighting!
HBjet:D

HM
05-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Ruthless people.... The guy died. He was a retired gentleman, and if you read the article, he didn't just go off a cliff. He went down an embankment. I know many people who have had very serious golf cart accidents on the golf course...no serious injuries and no deaths. This guy veered off the cart path...could be a problem with the cart? Caught a curb or dropped the wheel off the path right where there was a small drop from the path? Lots of non-idiot reasons for this to happen. One of the most serious accidents I saw was because of a brake failer on one wheel - caused the cart to turn without warning and send the occupants down a wet grassy hill. Even if it is driver error, you still don't know what sent him down the hill.
Laugh all you want, but he is someone's father, grandpa, brother, husband..etc. Real compassionate of you guys. You must be proud.
And BTW...repost:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151490

HBjet
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Ruthless people.... The guy died. He was a retired gentleman, and if you read the article, he didn't just go off a cliff. He went down an embankment. I know many people who have had very serious golf cart accidents on the golf course...no serious injuries and no deaths. This guy veered off the cart path...could be a problem with the cart? Caught a curb or dropped the wheel off the path right where there was a small drop from the path? Lots of non-idiot reasons for this to happen. One of the most serious accidents I saw was because of a brake failer on one wheel - caused the cart to turn without warning and send the occupants down a wet grassy hill. Even if it is driver error, you still don't know what sent him down the hill.
Laugh all you want, but he is someone's father, grandpa, brother, husband..etc. Real compassionate of you guys. You must be proud.
And BTW...repost:
Could have had a stroke too... or some medical condition...

pw_Tony
05-23-2007, 12:05 AM
And BTW...repost:
So let's all take some time for every person in the world that died everyday.... anyone like Dane Cook "Fockin Beez... I ain't dyin from no damn beez!"

RitcheyRch
05-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Never considered golfing a dangerous sport. Always figured the worse thing that could happen would be to get hit in the head with a club or a ball. :D

Got Lime
05-23-2007, 05:09 AM
That to bad, though I wound if he had been drinking:idea: :idea:

Havasu1986
05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
That to bad, though I wound if he had been drinking:idea: :idea:
It was a 65 year old man at 10 am. Not likely. :(

callbob4homes
05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
It was a 65 year old man at 10 am. Not likely. :(
Wanna bet? Not saying this guy was, but I volunteer at our course here, (= free golf, range balls) and 10 is not too early believe me. and they don't always just smoke seegars either.:jawdrop: :rolleyes:

uvindex
05-23-2007, 06:32 AM
candidate for the Darwin award?He was 65, so not likely (you can only be Darwined if you haven't yet had any offspring). Don't know if he did or not, but most people have had kids by that age. :)

catman-do
05-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Ive been drunk by 10!!! Get on the early bird special at Upland Hills Country Club by 6 am, and you can easily be drunk by 10am.

ChumpChange
05-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I've played probably 1000 rounds of golf in my life. I've never played with anybody that was DUI plastered by 10am. I'd say it was highly unlikely.
If we tee of by 7:00am, I'll show you this. Bloody Mary's on the Golf Course, always a good time. :D

Infomaniac
05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Probably just an unfortunate accident.
Similar to breaking your leg falling off the ball washer. Not related to intelligence just one of them thangs.

hot_diggity_dog
05-23-2007, 06:55 AM
FALLBROOK, Calif. - A golfer died Tuesday after his golf cart plunged 75 feet off a cliff and crashed onto a road below, authorities said.
The 65-year-old man teed off with three friends on the second hole of the Pala Mesa Resort Golf Course about 50 miles north of San Diego at around 10 a.m. and then got into his cart.
The vehicle veered off the concrete pathway, traveled down a 25-foot embankment and went over the edge of the cliff, California Highway Patrol spokesman Tom Kerns said.
The victim, a recently retired real estate agent from Irvine, was ejected shortly before the cart hit the road beneath the cliff and died on impact, Kerns said. His name was not immediately released.
Investigators will inspect the golf cart for mechanical failures, Kerns said. Drugs or alcohol were not thought to have been factors in the crash
I live on the 6th Tee box and this was really close to my house! We had a similar situation on the 2nd hole where we had a G-cart roll down the embankment into the ditch.:2purples: Good thing no one was in the cart.
This is sad he had this happen to him.:cry:
HDD

beaverretriever
05-23-2007, 07:00 AM
And BTW...repost:
Im sorry...:(
But if I mourned for everyone who died every day, I would kill my self from depression.:)

lewiville
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I live on the 6th Tee box and this was really close to my house! We had a similar situation on the 2nd hole where we had a G-cart roll down the embankment into the ditch.:2purples: Good thing no one was in the cart.
This is sad he had this happen to him.:cry:
HDD
isnt there some kind of guard rail there?

HalletDave
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
:idea:
Ejected.... So I'm guessing his parachute did not deploy.:jawdrop: How sad.

C-2
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
And BTW...repost:
FWIW, I agree 100%. :(

superdave013
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Im sorry...:(
But if I mourned for everyone who died every day, I would kill my self from depression.:)
You don't have to mourn for them. You don't have to make fun of them either.

boater72
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
PALA - An Irvine man playing a round of golf at the Pala Mesa Golf Resort was killed Tuesday morning after he drove a golf cart over a cliff and plunged more than 100 feet to his death.
Edwin Payne, 65, who recently retired from his Irvine real estate company, was playing with three friends at the course about 50 miles north of San Diego. They were at the second hole when he lost his ball in the brush about 10 a.m., said California Highway Patrol officer Larry Landeros.
Payne looked for the lost ball, but when he couldn’t find it, he went back to the tee box and hit another shot, Landeros said.
Payne, who ran Ed Payne Real Estate Inc., got back into his 2003 Club Car DS electric golf cart and drove out of the tee box, but the cart began to bounce around, Landeros said. Payne apparently lost control of the bouncing cart as it drove off the cart path and over a curb, Landeros said.
The car careered down a 25-foot embankment and sailed off a shear cliff, Landeros said.
The cart rolled and tumbled down the embankment, throwing Payne out of the vehicle just before it landed in the bike lane of Old Highway 395. Payne was pronounced dead at the scene.
The highway was closed in both directions for nearly two hours while the accident was investigated.
Payne is survived by his wife, Clara.

beaverretriever
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
You don't have to mourn for them. You don't have to make fun of them either.
I don't really think my post was making fun of the guy more like making light of the situation. If the guy had his head cut off from his windshield because he was hit by a drunk driver it might be a different scenario.
He went off a cliff in a golf cart for crying out loud. Unfortunately accidents in golf carts always tend to be funny... death or no death.
BTW, making fun would have been saying things about the guy directly. I was poking fun at the situation not the loss of ones life. :)

beaverretriever
05-23-2007, 10:58 AM
lets hope this brief yet detailed explanation sheds some light on this tragedy, and the a-holes making fun of this poor man think twice before they write stupid chit ....... :sqeyes:
I don't think I am really an A-hole as you put it; maybe a little uncouth per the situation but that is all.
I feel sorry for the man, his family and his friends.
The situation that caused his death is what is funny to me. Sorry, I feel that way. No reason to call people names.:)

Sleek-Jet
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Probably just an unfortunate accident.
Similar to breaking your leg falling off the ball washer. Not related to intelligence just one of them thangs.
I don't know what rules you guys play by out there in Oklahoma... but we don't get on top of the ball washers out here in AZ... :D
<---- yes... I said on top of the ball washers... :rolleyes:

beaverretriever
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
did i write "beaverretriever is an a-hole" ???? :idea: ????????? i didn't think i did ?? :rolleyes: if you're guilty of something, don't be dragging me into it :sqeyes: people have opinions, and i expressed mine .......
LOL, I am one of the few that wrote somthing in this thread that may be considered out of kilter to some people.... ;) I am not guilty of anything. If someone wants to call names, they should at least be man or woman up enough to point out who it is.
I will always step up and say what I said may not fit into everyones idea of funny.
No harm, no foul.