PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell fuel grip

chase8
05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Heading to Powell to do our annual housebaot trip again on sunday. We'll be there 7 days. I was looking at the fuel prices
on Waynes site. Premium is $4.36 a gallon at halls fuel dock. It's likely to rise again before the weekend. Last yr it cost us almost $700.00 for my boat when gas was about $3.00 a gallon. Then we put another $670.00 in the houseboat which gets a lovely 1/2 mile to the gallon per engine. By the time I pay annual houseboat dues of $1800.00 all this turns into a pretty expensive week. Guess it's worth it, but seeing these oil companies line their pockets is getting harder and harder for me to swallow. Maybe i'll just leave the houseboat in the slip this yr.

shockwavebd
05-23-2007, 03:21 PM
What is Waynes site.........?
Do they sell 91 super anywhere on the lake

ryantparks
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
we brought a sh*t load of gas jugs last year for all of the skiis even some 15 gallon jugs that I bought online.
I feel your pain!

Lavey5150
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
As of last year August no Super out at Dangling Rope 70 miles in.......

Tremor Therapy
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Barry I was only able to get super at the marina and in Page. So make sure you get a couple of cases of Lucas 105 to help with the octane problem!
BTW, how the hell are ya?
Alan

24sleekenforcer
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Heres the link to Waynes site. good info on Powell
http://www.wayneswords.com/

AzLakeLizard
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
You are on the northend of the lake.. check out the airport at BF and see what they are charging for Ave Gas... Down lake it is in town, the Sinclair near the ramp and at the new Antelope Point Marina.. Dangling Rope has ton's of Octane Boost..
Just wish we could get the "P.S" to ok putting in premium up there.. :mad:
Waynes Words Home Page
Lake Powell Fishing Information. "QUAGGA MUSSEL ALERT" click here for more info ... Other Lake Powell Resources Glen Canyon National Recreation Area ...
www.wayneswords.com

BoatFloating
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Dangling Rope has never sold Super and never will. Antelope Point does in the narrows or Halls and Bull Frog at mille marker 93. Thank god our house boat has a 200 gal toy tank they put 91 in. Also it's a launch and retreive so they get land prices on all the gas.

NuckinFutz
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think Bullfrog does 91 octane. If you're planning on doing the Dangling rope, get your octane boost ahead of time and take it with you. The last time I bought any (old boat) the boost cost as much as the fuel.

05-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Chase8,
Don't know what engine you are running but if it's supercharged, do not use octane boost. I bring two five gallon jugs of 110 and use the fuel blending calculator here (http://www.ranney.com/~mjr/fuel_blend.html) when I fill up at Dangling Rope to get to 91 octane. It ends up cheaper than octane boost and the burn characteristics are better.
----Rob

Wild Horses
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I burned up a motor on Halls Crossing 91 octane fuel.:mad: Had 2 tanks in my supercharged boat, ran the gas out of 1 tank and filled up at Halls. Ran the second tank out of fuel, and on my very next high speed run I burned a hole in my #8 piston! I had to run all the way from Gunsight to Bullfrog on 7 cylinders and stay off of the boost or my crankcase would vent into the boat.:( (Vortech Supercharger)
I don't trust their premium fuel anymore, I also did the race fuel in cans to get my octane up for Powell after that.
Clint
Runnin' Wild

Big Warlock
05-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Tough deal. For sure. But please stop blaming the oil companies for a situation they did not create.

chase8
05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Chase8,
Don't know what engine you are running but if it's supercharged, do not use octane boost. I bring two five gallon jugs of 110 and use the fuel blending calculator here (http://www.ranney.com/~mjr/fuel_blend.html) when I fill up at Dangling Rope to get to 91 octane. It ends up cheaper than octane boost and the burn characteristics are better.
----Rob
It is supercharged. Thanks for the heads up.

Sleek-Jet
05-24-2007, 07:22 AM
You are on the northend of the lake.. check out the airport at BF and see what they are charging for Ave Gas... Down lake it is in town, the Sinclair near the ramp and at the new Antelope Point Marina.. Dangling Rope has ton's of Octane Boost..
Just wish we could get the "P.S" to ok putting in premium up there.. :mad:
Waynes Words Home Page
Lake Powell Fishing Information. "QUAGGA MUSSEL ALERT" click here for more info ... Other Lake Powell Resources Glen Canyon National Recreation Area ...
www.wayneswords.com
There's no fuel at Bull Frog airport... There is (or used to be) over at Cal Black airport on the Halls side, but it's 12 miles from the marina.

Wild Horses
05-24-2007, 07:29 AM
It is supercharged. Thanks for the heads up.
Have you put your boat on Willard Bay this year? I can see the Wasatch Mountains in the back ground of your picture.:idea:
I put mine on there a couple of time earlier in the year when the water was even lower, now it is Pineview and Bear Lake for the rest of the season.:D
Clint
Runnin' Wild

shockwavebd
05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Chase8,
----Rob
Thanks for all the info............Yes twin 575's...we will be staying in page and silpping at the marina
Alan good to here from you, doing very well....How's the family...........:D

AzLakeLizard
05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Sunshine Fuel (Sinclair) in Page is now carrying Av Gas also.

AzLakeLizard
05-24-2007, 08:18 AM
There's no fuel at Bull Frog airport... There is (or used to be) over at Cal Black airport on the Halls side, but it's 12 miles from the marina.
Ah.. see.. I learn something everyday!.. Glad we are down lake...lol:D

Mardonzi
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM
This is true.. Cal Black is the only show in town for AvGas in that neck of the woods.
On a brighter note, Classic Aviation at Page airport has AvGas at $4.00 a gallon and a couple of the smaller independant stations in town are getting ready to start carrying race gas also.

chase8
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Have you put your boat on Willard Bay this year? I can see the Wasatch Mountains in the back ground of your picture.:idea:
I put mine on there a couple of time earlier in the year when the water was even lower, now it is Pineview and Bear Lake for the rest of the season.:D
Clint
Runnin' Wild
Clint, I haven't been to willard with the boat. I checked out the marina about a month ago, looks to be about 12 ft down from high mark. We've just been sticking to the dam.
I saw you there a couple weeks ago. You idled right by us as you pulled from the marina. I keep looking for your son but haven't seen him yet.

chase8
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Tough deal. For sure. But please stop blaming the oil companies for a situation they did not create.
Could you give me some insight on who is to blame. All i know is what i pick up from the news etc. A yr ago it was Katrina and the refinery probs. It seems they always have some reason or another, yet they are seeing record profits.

DayCruiser
05-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Could you give me some insight on who is to blame. All i know is what i pick up from the news etc. A yr ago it was Katrina and the refinery probs. It seems they always have some reason or another, yet they are seeing record profits.
Ya I don't see them rebating any of those record profits either. They make more money than many countries. Highest profits for any corporations in history. Yet they don't offer any rebates. Poor ol oil companies. Its not their fault they are rich beyond our imagination:jawdrop:

Wild Horses
05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Clint, I haven't been to willard with the boat. I checked out the marina about a month ago, looks to be about 12 ft down from high mark. We've just been sticking to the dam.
I saw you there a couple weeks ago. You idled right by us as you pulled from the marina. I keep looking for your son but haven't seen him yet.
He was having his heads redone so he was with me 2 weeks ago, last week he had his boat up to the dam as did I. :D No reason to stay home, we float a lot more than we used to!:mad: But at least we are on the water!!!!:D :D
Clint
Runnin' Wild

Run_em_Hard
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
We have been going every weekend to the damn, but we have been alternating which boat we take. Little cheaper on fuel:D We will have to get together. We have been hanging out in Spring Cove.