PDA

View Full Version : Which Bike To Get??????

pw_Tony
05-23-2007, 05:33 PM
So gas prices are killing me. And I want a lil fun. What street bike crotch rocket is the best bang for the buck. I drive alot everyday and my 10mpg blazer just aint gonna cut it anymore.
I'm more of a Yamaha loyalist, is the R1 worth the extra money than the R6?
Or Suzuki or Honda would suit me for the price. Any Opinions?

77charger
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I prefer suzukis over the yamis but for a yami save the money and go for an r6.These days there aint much difference in them.Yes the r1 will be faster but remember a bike is only as fast as you can drive it and i guarentee very few can use a 1 liter bike to its full potential.
I ride an 01 gsxr 750 myself prefer it over the 1000 but then again i have more than enough time on streetbikes on canyons and some track time over the past 17 years too.Use to like to go to angeles crest on my 600 and run all over the ones who thought cause they bought the 1000s they were going to be faster.lo :D l

VEGASBABY
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
If you really want to save cash and fuel, I recomend a 10speed or mountain bike, the only fuel you burn is carbs:D

Boozer
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
If you plan to get a crotch rocket go with Suzuki.
A GSXR 750 should be more bike then you will ever need. A friend of mine rides a GSXR 1000 and the bike does an honest 100 mph in 1st gear!!!
Riding Crotch Rockets you WILL want to start pulling wheelies and various other tricks. The Yamahas have or at least they did have dipsticks on them, when you pop a wheelie they tend to leak oil out the dipstick hole and guess where that goes???? right on to your back tire, when doing a wheelie at 80 mph do you really want to spray oil on your back tire????
I just sold my bike a couple months ago. I was driving home from work and watched the fire department scrape a guy off the side of the freeway. He was wearing full gear and apparently a semi driver didnt see him, merged and KABLAM lights out. That was enough for me so I put my bike on Craigslist and it was gone the very next day.
If you ride your bike the way it was meant to be ridden you wont see any better gas mileage then you would get from a Honda civic or Toyota Corolla. The Civic SI's can be a hell of a lot of fun and they are also a hell of a lot safer.

HM
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Get a KTM and set it up Super Moto style.

2Driver
05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Eats a lot of street bikes too.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31577&stc=1&d=1179974961
Beats Rhinos too
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31578&stc=1&d=1179975151

yzfrider
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Get the R6. The R1 is more bike than any person needs on the street. The R6 will be more fun in the twisties and still has plenty of power. Save the extra money for upgrades. Just my 2Cents

RiverRatMike
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
if you want to ride buy a Yamaha, if you want to wrench buy another brand

Wet Dream
05-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Ride Red. Thats all I have to say. :D

76ANTHONY
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
this is a loaded question. how long have you been riding crotch rockets, if you have no experince you better stay away from the monster bikes, r1, gsxr 1000 and the like. you might wanna check out the honda 600rr, gsxr 750, and so on. i ride red but do whatever you get a deal on and whatever is comfortable for you...

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I gave this exact diatribe recently to a good friend of mine's son, he is looking for his first bike as well.
I ride a '95 900RR. I love that bike. The worst thing I can say about it is, bar none,
EVERY year I have owned it I have had to put a battery in it like clockwork.
I would seriously recommend a 600, any make other than a Suzuki, they have always seemed to spend their R&D money on the bigger bikes, and it shows, the bigger bikes have always been at the top of the heap.
I have never rode a 600 Ninja, but they are on top of their game as well. Honda or a Yamaha if I would stake my name on it, you can't go wrong with either.
I don't know about your riding experience, but from your questions I am assuming you have never rode a streetbike, maybe not even a dirtbike for that matter.
Insurance for a new rider on a new bike will be pricey for full coverage, possibly even 1/2 the price of the bike in most cases. Better idea, buy a USED 600, you can get one for 2000-2500, think short term, if you like riding in two years, you can likey sell it for close to what you paid for it. Face it, you WILL CRASH your first bike. There is no question. Deal with the fear and move on.
Enroll in a rider's course, especially if this is your first bike, wear the right gear, ride safe and always ride as if you are invisible, you will live longer. Noone sees you or they don't give a shit, either way, they will win in a collision.
I will PM you my number in case you want to chat, Mopar guy to Mopar guy.
Brian

TCHB
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Racing is one thing and should be kept on the tracks.
Streetbikes
BMW
Anti Lock Breaks (it will save your life)
Heated seat
Heated grips
Good lucking
Reliable

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Noone will argue this,
No matter what bike you choose:
Without a doubt, very fast, very fun, very dangerous.

Ivan Dan
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Beats Rhinos too
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31578&stc=1&d=1179975151
If you touched dirt on this bike you would be on the ground so fast your head would spin.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Bikes age pretty well, you can tell the condition of a bike pretty much by the way it appears.
The abused bikes are pretty much that, abused, tattered, or otherwise wrapped around a tree somewhere on a mountain road.
A 10-15 year old bike that shows well has likely been taken care of it's whole life.
Don't get sucked into the new bike gig, face it, you aren't going to know what to do with a cutting edge bike anyway, any of the "modern" post 90's bikes will ALL still outride your ass, given the opportunity.
Brian

TCHB
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Tour at blazing speed in total comfort
Cycle World's 'Best Sport-touring Bike for 2006,' the K 1200 GT features the new BMW Duolever front suspension, optional ESA and a transversely-mounted in-line 4-cyinder engine offering a whopping 152 bhp. It also has height-adjustable handlebars, a narrower design, and an adjustable saddle. Point it at the horizon and swallow huge chunks of highway mile after mile, because sport touring has never been this thrilling.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
PSHHHHHHHHHHHHh
Same thing could be said about alot of things high performance.
Proper JUDGEMENT is key.
Racing is one thing and should be kept on the tracks.

Ivan Dan
05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
My first bike was a 99 GSXR 600 and I loved that bike. My buddy and I went out one day and on a whim bought them at the same time except he bought a GSXR750. I swear that 600 was faster up to about 100ish and then he would pull me very slightly. He was so bummed that he paid an extra $2000 or $2500 (if my memory serves me) for the 750. I've been riding dirt bikes for going on 28 years now so this was like second nature to me. My most recent bike was a 2006 Harley Softail Deluxe and this took a little getting used to because I was used to leaning the sport bike or dirt bike.
I've already made up my mind that my next bike is going to be a KTM 525 EXC which is a super capable dirt bike that is also street legal (best of both world's IMO).

laveydayz
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
If this is your first sportbike, start out with a 600. Liter bikes (160+ hp) are way to much for an inexperienced rider. Even the new 750's are really fast.I spent 2 years and 13k mi on a Kawi 636 and was ready for the step up at that point. Had a blast on that bike.
All of the 600's are greatbikes as the magazines just nit pick everything. After getting experienced and comfortable you can ride a 600 every bit as fast as a liter bike in the canyons. I would still never want to commute on one. Riding daily on So. Cal. roadways is very risky. Good luck and respect the power!

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:41 PM
I am completely surprised Dan, I have ridden several GSXR's 750's, and all of them would have spanked my 600 naked.
Was your buddy a 100lbs heavier than you or something?
GM Killer here on the boards had a worked over 900 Ninja, that POS was F A S T. He is alot bigger than me too, and who isn't, haha, but with him and his bike, and me on mine, we would be neck and neck.
With us switched, I would leave him in the dust. Like FUNNY in the dust, I couldn't believe the difference.
Brian
My first bike was a 99 GSXR 600 and I loved that bike. My buddy and I went out one day and on a whim bought them at the same time except he bought a GSXR750. I swear that 600 was faster up to about 100ish and then he would pull me very slightly.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Yea what he said
After getting experienced and comfortable you can ride a 600 every bit as fast as a liter bike in the canyons.

Kindsvater Flat
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Wild Hogs baby!!!!!!
GET A HARLEY:D

pw_Tony
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I will admit I'm new to streetbikes. I had an enduro 400 for a while. And I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life. The only reason I even considered getting an R1 is because (this is true with everything I have) I will get used to it and go faster. And to be honest on the street I'm super calm with the way I drive or ride, and dont do idiot things. But the R1 is much more than the R6, and wasn't sure if it's worth that much more money for the ride. I work from Kingman to Blythe(LHC included). It's gonna be wicked hot but I feel like my blazer, which only goes 55 up the grade(35" swampers not regeared) is just killin me at 10mpg (I calculated). What I have right now is my 700 Raptor and was just gonna trade it in, got to used to the power and I need something everyday. I'd prefer fuel injected. And a Suzuki or Honda would sit fine with me. So any other experiences? Oh Yea I weigh between 155-180.

YeLLowBoaT
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
i'd buy a buel...

Screemy1
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
this thread is funny.... you want something for gas money savings.... all the bikes you are listing do not get any better mpg then a economy car.... if you really want a good mpg bike that still is fun and will get up and go... you are gonna have to look at some other bikes..... a good commuter that gets good mpg would be a VSTROM and not the 1000cc.... that only gets in the 40 mpg range.... but the 650 is over 50mpg and if riddin well in the 60's puton some saddlebags... heated grips, and brush guards and you have a peppy commuter that cost less than 8k .... good luck on your search... and watch out... some of those sport bikes need premium to run.... that will really kill the fuel savings!!

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 07:59 PM
All of the sportbikes are in the 11-1 12-1 range, they all need premium.
Both of my bikes got 50 or better, pretty much no matter HOW I rode them, at 150 miles (plus or minus 5 miles) on the trip meter you would be switching to reserve. I always thought that was funny.
At 145miles you should be looking for gas.
Brian
this thread is funny.... you want something for gas money savings.... all the bikes you are listing do not get any better mpg then a economy car.... if you really want a good mpg bike that still is fun and will get up and go... you are gonna have to look at some other bikes..... a good commuter that gets good mpg would be a VSTROM and not the 1000cc.... that only gets in the 40 mpg range.... but the 650 is over 50mpg and if riddin well in the 60's puton some saddlebags... heated grips, and brush guards and you have a peppy commuter that cost less than 8k .... good luck on your search... and watch out... some of those sport bikes need premium to run.... that will really kill the fuel savings!!

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
That makes me feel a little better.
I will admit I'm new to streetbikes. I had an enduro 400 for a while. And I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life.

Screemy1
05-23-2007, 08:03 PM
All of the sportbikes are in the 11-12-1, they all need premium.
Both of my bikes got 50 or better, pretty much no matter HOW you rode them, at 150 miles plus or minus 5 miles on the trip meter you would be switching to reserve. I always thought that was funny, at 145 you should be looking for gas.
Brian
hmm.... not the bikes I have owned.... and that is cruisers to crotch rockets... they all varied... some better in town and others on freeway... I would average 80 mph for long runs and not to crazy in the stop in go traffic.... have had one ticket for over 120 mph.... back in 1996.... I do not wanna go through that again....

pw_Tony
Well fuel isn't as much as an issue as everyone thinks. I run 91 in my '69 Satellite with a 20 gal tank. When premium is .20 cents more than regular, that's only $4 for every 20 gallons, and 4 bucks aint gonna break my bank that bad:D . And 50mpg is 5 times better than my truck. Gas is $3.20 a gal, I use 12.5 gallons a day. Cut that 12.5 by 5 is only two and a half gallons. That's only $8 bucks a day. So If I'm saving $32 a day five days a week that's $640 a month I'd save in gas. So that might cover a payment and insurance :D even if you cut that in half it's $320 room for a bike, and alot faster!

wsuwrhr
Harley's are for old people....
Wild Hogs baby!!!!!!
GET A HARLEY:D

Kindsvater Flat
05-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok chief.... How much hair is on top of your head?
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/mikegregg.jpg

cola
05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Let's not go getting personal.:)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/162_6203ss.jpg

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok Cheif,
I have a little less on my head than you do, haha.
Still don't make me old enough to ride a couch anywhere.
I am just playing here.
BTW, I can appreciate Harley's , they just aren't my bag
Brian
Ok chief.... How much hair is on top of your head?
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/mikegregg.jpg

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Let's not go getting personal.:)
haha.
I am just funnin' here.
Who wants to ride a couch?
Now the 999 and the Triumph are the shit.
I will swing a leg over a Duck someday.

laveydayz
05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I will admit I'm new to streetbikes. I had an enduro 400 for a while. And I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life. The only reason I even considered getting an R1 is because (this is true with everything I have) I will get used to it and go faster. And to be honest on the street I'm super calm with the way I drive or ride, and dont do idiot things. But the R1 is much more than the R6, and wasn't sure if it's worth that much more money for the ride. I work from Kingman to Blythe(LHC included). It's gonna be wicked hot but I feel like my blazer, which only goes 55 up the grade(35" swampers not regeared) is just killin me at 10mpg (I calculated). What I have right now is my 700 Raptor and was just gonna trade it in, got to used to the power and I need something everyday. I'd prefer fuel injected. And a Suzuki or Honda would sit fine with me. So any other experiences? Oh Yea I weigh between 155-180.
Might want to check the insurance if you will be needing full coverage. Its real spendy on sport bikes..Liability only is around 100-200/yr.
Funny people mention "ive ridin dirt bikes...." I have rode MX since I was 4yrs old and when I got my first sportbike it was a whole new learning experience. There is not much in the way of similarities between the two in my opinion.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Ditto on the insurance deal, like I said before, get this squared away before you even start looking at bikes, figure out which years and sizes will affect the cost.
Like a broken record.....Buy a 10-15 year old sport bike and get liability only. after two years of driving experience the hit of full coverage for a new liter bike won't be so bad, trust me, it will cost 1/2 the value of the bike for full coverage for a new rider.
Dirt bikes:
You would be surprised, BALANCE, stability, braking, seat position, avoiding obstacles, and just plain gettin over the fear of being on a powered two wheeler.
It may not be apples to apples, but it ain't apples to tomatoes.
Brian
Might want to check the insurance if you will be needing full coverage. Its real spendy on sport bikes..Liability only is around 100-200/yr.
Funny people mention "ive ridin dirt bikes...." I have rode MX since I was 4yrs old and when I got my first sportbike it was a whole new learning experience. There is not much in the way of similarities between the two in my opinion.

Screemy1
05-23-2007, 08:28 PM
like flying... landing at a country airport with no tower vs landing at Oakland airport in heavy traffic... same physical thing.... tons of differant things to worry about

RiverRatMike
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
i'd buy a buel...
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww

77charger
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Insurance aint bad if married,over30,no tickets for full coverage i pay baout 350 per year for my gixxer 750:D
whoever said the mpg is worse tha a commuter car i can get 50-55 mpg on my 750 fwy driving.But in the canyons it DRops. was nice to put 3.25 in it and go from home to work and back home and still have enought to make it halfway to work (24 miles each way) that same amount will leave me on the side of road half way to work in my truck.

cola
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww
get over yourself

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
With NO motorcycle experience? Are you sure about that?
Insurance aint bad if married,over30,no tickets for full coverage i pay baout 350 per year for my gixxer 750:D

77charger
05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
With NO motorcycle experience? Are you sure about that?
oh yeh! but they never asked me about that as long as i had the class m endorsement even though i have many years being licensed actually 16.This is from state farm too forgot to mention all our vehichles are insured trhu them too so that helps.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
oh yeh! but they never asked me about that as long as i had the class m endorsement even though i have many years being licensed actually 16.This is from state farm too forgot to mention all our vehichles are insured trhu them too so that helps.
Cool,
I got jacked the first year or two when I got my license.
Who knows, maybe I didn't answer the question right.
"Do you have two years experience?"
"Of course."
Brian

Big Kahunaa
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
rc51 ride red

SCR INC
05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I prefer suzukis over the yamis but for a yami save the money and go for an r6.These days there aint much difference in them.Yes the r1 will be faster but remember a bike is only as fast as you can drive it and i guarentee very few can use a 1 liter bike to its full potential.
I ride an 01 gsxr 750 myself prefer it over the 1000 but then again i have more than enough time on streetbikes on canyons and some track time over the past 17 years too.Use to like to go to angeles crest on my 600 and run all over the ones who thought cause they bought the 1000s they were going to be faster.lo :D l
Buy a 4 banger pick up ... Save gas and a leg or two!!!

SCR INC
05-23-2007, 10:22 PM
How much $$ do you guys save? Is it really that much after insurance etc....

LEADFOOTjosh
05-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Well.. as my mom taught me.. if your gonna do something.. do it right the first time.
I love my Ducati 999.. been thinking about selling it do to seeing to many other riders being scraped off the ground.. and a close ridin buddy die on oretga a few weeks back
http://a321.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01255/02/34/1255684320_l.jpg
http://a398.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_ddf7245ad2aeb9510f0edc498161f2ed.jpg

pw_Tony
05-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Well.. as my mom taught me.. if your gonna do something.. do it right the first time.
I love my Ducati 999.. been thinking about selling it do to seeing to many other riders being scraped off the ground.. and a close ridin buddy die on oretga a few weeks back
http://a321.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01255/02/34/1255684320_l.jpg
http://a398.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_ddf7245ad2aeb9510f0edc498161f2ed.jpg
I would LOVE that bike!

Ivan Dan
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I am completely surprised Dan, I have ridden several GSXR's 750's, and all of them would have spanked my 600 naked.
Was your buddy a 100lbs heavier than you or something?
GM Killer here on the boards had a worked over 900 Ninja, that POS was F A S T. He is alot bigger than me too, and who isn't, haha, but with him and his bike, and me on mine, we would be neck and neck.
With us switched, I would leave him in the dust. Like FUNNY in the dust, I couldn't believe the difference.
Brian
Well....I actually out weighed him by 30-40 pounds at the time. BUT I'm a much better rider than him too though.

Run_em_Hard
05-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Since no one is supportin Kawi than I will...ZX-6R, bought it when I was 19 and drove the shit out of it. Right when I bought it I sold my truck. Even drove it in a couple inches of snow once. Loved that bike. Had a tractor/trailer blow a tire while I was coming up on him, I was doing about 90 mph when the center tread portion hit me. Broke up both my side fairings and my front fender, thats it. Did a complete frame up custom on it and sold it 1 month after I painted it to help buy the boat.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/run_em_hard/HPIM0992.jpg
I had seen 50 mpgish:D out of it. It was a 2002 and loved the high RPM's. Kawi always gets great reviews in magazines.
600 cc is plenty of bike for 90% of people. But what I tell people is go and sit on them all and see which fits your body the best. They are all built slightly different and one will fit you better than the rest.

NOTALENT
05-24-2007, 06:16 AM
First off, insurance isnt like everyone makes it out to be. I pay $350 a year, full coverage through State Farm. I get an average of about 28MPG and that could get better with quicker shifts. I get about 120 miles per tank. The MPG is with a 520 sprocket conversion kit...stock I was getting about 32 MPG.
I would definatley go with an R6. IMO it is the best looking hands down. It has been the bike of the year the last few years, the 600 was built to hang with the GSXR 750 and it does. The new redline at 16k RPM is fockin bitchin, especially while on the track. The fly by wire throttle system is pretty sweet. I love the slipper clutch, some dont, but I like it especially when down shifting hard.
As for wheelies, no stock bike was built to wheelie...you can starve your engine if you keep it up long enough and cause some damage. My R6 has never leaked a drop of oil, or any other fluid for that matter even after my crash.....I have never heard of that as well.
I have rode the new R1 and feel that its just to much for the street, you cant unleash its power anywhere, but the track. To do so you would need alot of skill. The R6 is more than enough for the track and street.
Keep in mind the 2004 and up year R6 was built with the track mindset in mind. If your looking for more of a cruiser check out the R6S..
http://a753.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01080/25/74/1080264752_l.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/notalent2002/IMG_0053.jpg

Wet Dream
05-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Another funny part to this thread...is that he is trying to save money...or so it seems. I think the real motive is justification of buying a motorcycle. :D Somehow, my math just doesn't add up to "saving money". Gas is high, but spending $6,000 to $12,000 on a motorcycle, do you know how much you would have to drive to save $6000 on gas, not including insurance, tags, helmet, jacket, maintanance. ;) "Saving gas" theory might work with the little wifey, but for those of us who know better...uh uh.

Jbb
05-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Walz Hardcore!

2Driver
05-24-2007, 07:07 AM
If you touched dirt on this bike you would be on the ground so fast your head would spin.
Pretty ballzy off road on the 1200, notice there is no landing shot. :D But a good dirt road/street machine. Maybe the 650 Dakar for the smaller tougher stuff huh?
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31585&stc=1&d=1180019118

rivercrazy
05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
I ride a 2002 Yamaha FZ1. Love the bike. Gets decent mileage 35-45mpg.
Personally I like 1 liter sport bikes better for my riding style. Still plenty agile but with lots of power. Less gear changes are necessary. And if you ever take a girl with you on rides, the torque of a 1 liter really helps.

wright27
05-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Pretty ballzy off road on the 1200, notice there is no landing shot. :D But a good dirt road/street machine. Maybe the 650 Dakar for the smaller tougher stuff huh?
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31585&stc=1&d=1180019118
Anyone who buys a bike like that is a retard.:D Buy a street bike for street and a motocross bike for dirt. That big ass piece of shit is a nothing more than sacraficing performance on both the street and dirt.

SB
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
The crotch rockets have an uncomfortable riding position. You might want more of a cruiser or standard. Consider getting something like a used Honda VFR Interceptor 750, still plenty fast. Nothing wrong with a Harley, or Suzuki Bandit, or Kawasaki Concours. The new 600s are all fantastic bikes, but you can easily get by with yesterday's technology.

rivercrazy
05-24-2007, 07:37 AM
No reason to settle for a cruiser. There are plenty of sport bikes available with a more comfortable riding position that have the power and almost the handling of the full sport bike.
Yamaha FZ1 or FZ6
Honda 919
Suzuki Bandit
etc.......

Liberator TJ1984
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
How bout these ?? Carry a hag and a six pack easily :D
and good on gas
http://www.vespausa.com/images/GTSintroduction.jpg

wsuwrhr
05-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Agreed, I left that fact out because of little to no experience riding a street bike. For the first year or so riding with a passenger is only risking HIS life, but HERS as well. Passengers affect the handling of the motorcycle.
Brian
And if you ever take a girl with you on rides, the torque of a 1 liter really helps.

2Driver
05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Anyone who buys a bike like that is a retard.:D Buy a street bike for street and a motocross bike for dirt. That big ass piece of shit is a nothing more than sacraficing performance on both the street and dirt.
Retard eh?
Well there is another class of riding called Enduro if you didn't know that . 75 miles of pavement to get there. 50 miles of back country roads and 4x4 trails then another 100 miles home. Not sure the street bike or the MX would accomplish that. But WTF do the guys that ride Dakar know. :idea:

rivercrazy
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Agreed, I left that fact out because of little to no experience riding a street bike. For the first year or so riding with a passenger is only risking HIS life, but HERS as well. Passengers affect the handling of the motorcycle.
Brian
Agreed on the "experience" point your making here.

pw_Tony
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Had an Enduro... couldn't jump as high as my dirt bike, and couldn't keep up with the street bikes. Even though I really like XR650s, I'm defiently getting a crotch rocket.... seems likemost people are liking the R6....

NOTALENT
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Had an Enduro... couldn't jump as high as my dirt bike, and couldn't keep up with the street bikes. Even though I really like XR650s, I'm defiently getting a crotch rocket.... seems likemost people are liking the R6....
You wont regret it.:)

pw_Tony
05-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Another funny part to this thread...is that he is trying to save money...or so it seems. I think the real motive is justification of buying a motorcycle. :D Somehow, my math just doesn't add up to "saving money". Gas is high, but spending $6,000 to $12,000 on a motorcycle, do you know how much you would have to drive to save $6000 on gas, not including insurance, tags, helmet, jacket, maintanance. ;) "Saving gas" theory might work with the little wifey, but for those of us who know better...uh uh.
You're good... you're good.... but I do drive ALOT lol:D :devil:

ANXIETY ATTACK
05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Well I ride a ZX 10 R and it dose get 42 MPG and 110 MPH in first gear but you wont save that much $ when you count in tires at every 3k Miles, 43, clean record and still 1100. a year for full coverage.

NOTALENT
05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Well I ride a ZX 10 R and it dose get 42 MPG and 110 MPH in first gear but you wont save that much $ when you count in tires at every 3k Miles, 43, clean record and still 1100. a year for full coverage.
What insurance company?

77charger
05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
but if you do more math easy to realize the money saved on gas will pay for the bike.if i were to ride my bike full time to and from work plus errands here and there i would save about 250 bucks a month easily.

77charger
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Buy a 4 banger pick up ... Save gas and a leg or two!!!
i already have a truck rather buy a lil honda if i wanted to save and not ride a bike.

moneypit
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Do it once and do it right. KTM Superduke!!!!!

LAND_LOVER69
05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Good point. But notice in the first post he said he wanted to save on gas "AND HAVE SOME FUN". :D
That's a good enough excuse for me!:D
Have all the fun you can just be carefull and watch out for the other idiots that don't look for bikers!;)

Cheap Thrills
05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Though I dont think it'll save ya much gas but definately rates high on the holy shit factor .
How about a 502 BBC Boss Hoss ?
Check out the fender ornamate :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/502-Big-Block-V8-Custom-Boss-Hoss-Paint-One-of-a-kind_W0QQitemZ180121229634QQihZ008QQcategoryZ49979 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
C.T. :wink:

cola
05-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I can tell you a trip to La Paz on that bike would be bitchen. If I had room for another bike, thats what it would be.:D :D
Mike

laveydayz
05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
like flying... landing at a country airport with no tower vs landing at Oakland airport in heavy traffic... same physical thing.... tons of differant things to worry about
Very well said!

wsuwrhr
05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
BUY USED.

spectras only
05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I had my share of owning numerous bikes in the past , and I enjoyed the 400 cc Honda CB-1 the most .
Cheap insurance [ ins goes up from over 400 to 750 , and up again from 750] and good performance for even a seasoned rider. Loved the 13,500 redline , and nimble handling . My 86 750 VFR [ year of the "Tiger":) ]had lots more power , but lesser handling , due to its heavier weight. Friend of mine still has a CB-1 , and he likes it a lot.The Yamaha 400 FZR is another fun bike that could be had for cheap. For first streetbike , I'd go used !
here's some info on the CB-1
http://www.mcreports.com/Pages/Indivbikes/Honda/CB-1.html
You should buy my 58 Matchless that's not so tempting to
race everyone on the street :D

Boozer
05-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Though I dont think it'll save ya much gas but definately rates high on the holy shit factor .
How about a 502 BBC Boss Hoss ?
Check out the fender ornamate :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/502-Big-Block-V8-Custom-Boss-Hoss-Paint-One-of-a-kind_W0QQitemZ180121229634QQihZ008QQcategoryZ49979 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
C.T. :wink:
I really don't understand the purpose of these bikes. That bike has gotta weigh a good 800 lbs. So turning hard.. Hell turning at all just wont happen very easily. And as far as speed goes tat bike will push what 200? As is 200 mph on a bike is a death wish in the making but most of todays modern sport bikes can get you there in a very well balanced package.
So what's the point?
My guess "I'm a pissed off asshole who has a chip on his shoulder, a decent amount of money, and wants to piss everyone off with all the noise my straight piped 502 is going to make rumbling down the road."
Boss Hosses make no sense to me whatsoever.

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
A used 600cc sounds about right... I guess I just have to check up on incurance...