PDA

View Full Version : Docking question

HappyHour
02-12-2006, 12:03 AM
I figured this would go in the "How to" section, so here it is. Is therea special way to dock your boatat a dock? I've been boating for almost a year and I still have a little issue with docking my boat. I either end up nose first or tail first. If I get it lined up next to the dock, I'm too far away to reach it. Needless to say, I eventually get it, but I don't wanna look like a newbie when the summer comes. Anyone got any tips for me????
Thanks in advance!!

RiverDave
02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Jet? I/O? V-Drive?
RD

LAFD
02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
really depends on your setup as far as if its a jet boat i/o whacka on how your boats is gunna act. now people are gunna try and tell you there thoughts on how to dock but thats there way the only way your really gunna learn is go somewere on a off day with little to no people and try different ways with your boat. thats what i did now its no problem. good luck and stay safe.

spectras only
02-13-2006, 04:41 PM
We always keep the bow into the wind . The wind can whip the waves up to 3-5 feet around here , or even on the lakes . Had our 19 jetboat sunk during a freak storm that came late night [ ca 11 pm ] .It claimed dozens of boats on Skaha and Okanagan lakes. Now we have a hoist that keeps the boat 4-5 feet off the water for overnight ;)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_0334.JPG
Jets are the best handling docking once you have the hang of it.An expert can spin a jet around its axis .It's a little more difficult with a current on rivers . Use idle only with short bursts to correct . It's easier for a novice to go bow in first ,my advice above is for mooring purposes .

chub
02-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I agree with LAFD. Practice makes perfect. I had a jet that I could literally walk sideways. I sold it and have a whacka that I 'm still learning dock handling with. AT ALL COSTS DON'T PANICK! and you'll be fine.

Dribble
02-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Like I tell the wife. Idle up to it then drift in. Less is more.

HappyHour
02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I have an I/O if that matters any

02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Watch the movie "Captain Ron" a few times. That's how you dock a boat! :D
Practice, practice, practice. I taught my son by having him dock against an anchor bouy instead of a dock.

Beer-30
02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Like I tell the wife. Idle up to it then drift in. Less is more.
Same here! She really has a good handle on it now.
She gets lined up and then just small in/out gear applications to correct. I have her come in at just a crawl. I don't care how long it takes- no damage.

Patyacht
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Practice on a calm day - no wind or current, stay off the throttles until you get good - things will happen faster if you get on the throttles, don't go any faster than you want to hit the dock, and play this sim http://spot.pcc.edu/~mtrigobo/docksim/index.html

xs ultra
02-13-2006, 08:34 PM
7 years of boating and every time is different for me.I still suck at it.easy when there is no wind and water is smooth.

jh4rt
02-14-2006, 04:28 AM
My dad's buddy, a boat dealer, offered this sage advice.
NEVER approach ANYTHING any faster than you want to hit it.
;-)

Cole1313
02-14-2006, 08:00 AM
I like the advice of never go faster then you want to hit something. Someone should tell that guy who hits the dock at 10 mph and knocks all of the other boats. LOL.
My advice, coming from a jet to a direct drive (that sucks in reverse) is to take it slooooooooooooow. There is no rush! I like to put the nose in then turn the wheel and put it in reverse and bring the back end around. I usually go with my wife so it is just a matter of dropping her off to get the truck. I try my hardest not to dock if I do not have to. Hope this helps. And please take it slow! Most people hold there boats with thier legs hanging over the dock, between the dock and thier boat, and for someone to go in hard and hit the boat, you could really hurt someone.

HMF'er
02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I tie a rope to the bow and one to the stern. I give the loose ends to my wife, then push her into the water. She swims to the dock. Once on the dock, she pulls the ropes evenly and my boat easily approaches the dock parallel. Effortless on the part of the driver. Good luck.

Cole1313
02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I tie a rope to the bow and one to the stern. I give the loose ends to my wife, then push her into the water. She swims to the dock. Once on the dock, she pulls the ropes evenly and my boat easily approaches the dock parallel. Effortless on the part of the driver. Good luck.
Wow, you dont even have to put your beer down. I am going to have to try this.

LAFD
02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
true pro at work. hahaha thats funny. :crossx:

HappyHour
02-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks a ton for all the advice everybody. I'm gonna take this all into account the next time I'm at Castaic and need to dock my boat..........again, Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMF'er
02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
true pro at work. hahaha thats funny. :crossx:
I have years of experience.

phebus
02-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Also, until you get more confident with docking, go early and pull off late. When it's not crowded, it's a lot easier. Throw a couple of assholes that think they've never made a mistake in their lives in the mix, and the nerves will get the best of you.

LAFD
02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks a ton for all the advice everybody. I'm gonna take this all into account the next time I'm at Castaic and need to dock my boat..........again, Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you goto castaic another place you can practice is over by the floating crappers no one is over there and its basically like a dock.