PDA

View Full Version : Sad day around my work

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
We are a small school district. We have 2 comprehensive high schools, a continuation and the middle school that I'm at. We found out this morning that, apparently, the seniors of one high school were headed to San Diego area for a senior celebration of some sort. Most students were on buses, but some drove themselves. They were waving to their classmates on the buses and generally messing around as kids do. One carload of kids was speeding (90 to 100 MPH according to the Californian newspaper) and flipped the car several times. 3 students died and one is still in critical condition. The thing that breaks my heart is that the students on the buses all saw the accident. :cry: It is a damm shame that a time of celebration and new beginnings for these students will always be remembered by those who they lost. I wish there was some way to instill a sense of respect for speed, metal, the road, other drivers and mortality for young drivers, but many just think they will live forever.
Anyway, it's a sad day over here. :( Be safe everyone, and make sure you hug your kids.

LAFD
05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
heard there was alot of alcohol found at the scene. very sad for the family and friends...

HavaSkank
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
They were from a Perris High School.
The School District up here forbids students to drive themselves to events these days. They arent allowed to show up unless their butt was on a bus seat. This used to annoy me, now it makes sense.

Racer277
05-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear that.
We can only protect them so far.:(

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Heard about this on the news this morning. Very sad. :(
I have to say though, they were interviewing some students about it and they all had a very strange perspective about it.....that you never know when your time to go is and you need to live life as if you were going to die tomorrow. :confused: This accident, in my opinion, was preventable. Alcohol and high speeds were not neccessary.
Regardless, 3 kids lost their lives and 1 is critical when they should be laughing and loving and graduating.
My thoughts are with their friends and families.

Miss Perfect
05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
heard there was alot of alcohol found at the scene. very sad for the family and friends...
I heard the same. It is very very sad indeed.

AZKC
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Dam Shame:( Sad that it happens, but it seems every year some schools have these horrible things happen. Kids think they are invincible it seems:(

Phat Daddy
05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes, a lot of alcohol involved. I read the article this morning. You can actually see the beer cans and what looks like the beer case (box) on the ground in the main photo.
In any case, it is a very sad day for the families and kids from this school. It seems like more and more kids now days feel they are invincible and have little or no respect for the law.

zudnic
05-31-2007, 01:50 PM
The School District up here forbids students to drive themselves to events these days. They arent allowed to show up unless their butt was on a bus seat. This used to annoy me, now it makes sense.
Sad deal... My school enforced that rule as well back in 91, started doing this cause of an accident with Grad Class of 1988........

Quest4Fun
05-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Wow this is very sad, I hadn't heard about it. Kids always think that nothing is going to happen to them. I know we were that way, and as a teenager I took way too many chances. My oldest is 14 and I worry about him and have already warned him about getting into a car with a friend who may have been drinking. I'll keep lecturing him and hopefully it will sink in when that time comes. Very sad :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
I graduated from the same school these kids were from (I've come a long way, huh?). We weren't allowed to drive ourselves and I distinctly remember the location of the beach on "beach day" was kept a secret so that no one could just show up. I don't know what changed or when.

Ziggy
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I heard the bus turned around when the news got to them, did not hear that they witnessed it.
A case of beer was in and around the vehicle, and as the CHP officer said on TV, many were empty, a few were still full...
The news did say however that they were looking for another possible vehicle that was involved, as in racing them. They called it a non-contact hit-n-run. Purely speculative at this point I think.
Very sad indeed, very preventable too.
:( :(
My heart goes out to the families of these children, this will take a lifetime to overcome.

BarryMac
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
So sorry to read this Angie, a very sad day for you and the rest of the people that are in any way involved. Hopefully this terrible accident will in some strange way prevent it from happening again. :(

yopengo
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Very sadÂ… I actually made the graduation medals these kids would have received. I know a few peeps at that school and it is such a waist of a young persons life. :(

Trailer Park Casanova
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Sorry to read that.
We didn't hear about it on the news.
Sad Day for sure,,

DILLIGAF
06-01-2007, 05:14 AM
Sorry to hear that. Yep, of course kids think they are never going to have something like that happen to them :(
RIP

Decided Advantage
06-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Sometimes you have to look back and realize how luck you truely are to have lived through all the stupid things you've done in the past.
Wnet to a similar funeral last Friday. Very sad. Seat belts would have made the difference in our local mishap.

RitcheyRch
06-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Very sad. Didnt this happen a few days ago? Either way, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

Miss Perfect
06-01-2007, 06:01 AM
The fourth one died last night. :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Crap! I haven't read the paper yet.
:(

JetBoatRich
06-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Very sad for the all the familes involved:mad:
Terrible life lesson for the other students:mad:

Mrs.Racer277
06-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Very Sad
RIP

Ziggy
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I guess the story now is that some other kids that were driving in their cars saw the accident and called some of the kids in the bus, that's when it turned back.
So, so sad :( :(