PDA

View Full Version : Northwest BOAT RACERS REUNION

SK87-88CircleJerk
03-12-2002, 12:15 AM
What a great 'input and output'site! I could have built my old Lavey and Barron in a flash instead of YEARS!! With your tech advise! My wife and I just completed our first season of Nostalgic Flatbottom Circle Racing here in Washington. Our first race for 2002 is in this forum but I needed to add the Racer Reunion Information. Harlan Orrin will be our guest Tech and Show Judge with many former racers and boat builder-restorers in attendance as well. I'm overwhelmed by the interest in OLD circle boats like ours and welcome anyone to come and join our 20+ ski and circle flats for competition or the Show and Shine with the Hot Rods. For a information packet, e-mail at: roboschnell@earthlink.net The date again: June 15-16 Banks Lake Washington.

boatguy222
03-12-2002, 05:30 PM
I am going!!!
anybody Else???

SK87-88CircleJerk
03-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the response! Here's some more info on us. We circle race on a 3/4 mile oval for three laps, twice a day. Rookies are required to demonstrate their skill for two or more heats. At present we have two classes based on driver skill and boat performance. Boats must be between 16-19 feet in length with limits on fuel,induction and cubic inches. It's a "Run what ya brung" fun for all with the emphasis on safety. We have old Marathon, superstocks, prostocks, E boats, dragboats,and ski boats that all are very "Nostalgic"! We are required to stay under a certain lap speed so this may not be for everyone. But if you're an old racer like me, it's great to be racing again and have three laps to recover! That's just one flatbottoms opinion! Circle Jerk

Stab-n-Steer
03-13-2002, 06:52 AM
Circle Jerk (aka Boyd),
I bought your video from last season. Looks like fun! Have you considered a California chapter? Obvioiusly there are more boats down here... How do you deal with the insurance issues? I help some friends that race crackers and they run with the APBA Chapter 11 outbaords. For whatever reason their insurance allows one, and only one, inboard class...
S&S

SK87-88CircleJerk
03-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Glad to hear someone enjoyed our video, we certainly enjoyed racing in it, my wife included. She blocked me to win her only race! I'm not complaining however, I spanked her 3 out of 4 races! Great fun! She was the Season Champion in the Ski-Boat class.
There is talk about a Nostalgic style class racing in April 6-7 at Parker. I hear it is the continuation of the GN3 APBA class. In answer to your question of insurance, we have two funds to draw on that I will not elaborate on. Needless to say APBA did not want us last year, however there is hope for the coming year with this first Parker thing. You can e-mail me or call for more. Boyd

Flat Rat
03-19-2002, 01:05 AM
How do you know where this reunion will be, that is a big lake. We have a 1970 Mandella we bought new. What else is going on at this reunion? And who can go?

LeE ss13
03-19-2002, 07:06 AM
I believe your Nostalgic Flatbottom Circle Racing is about to become more popular. Have you seen the rule changes APBA came out with.
http://www.goboatracing.net/latestnews.htm#reception
Capsules will be mandatory for the 2004 season for Super Stock, Pro Stock and K-Boats. Some of the last classes of boats that still resemble your basic river hot rods, may be a thing of the past. Oh well...
---------
LeE ss13

boatguy222
03-19-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Flat Rat:
How do you know where this reunion will be, that is a big lake. We have a 1970 Mandella we bought new. What else is going on at this reunion? And who can go?
email SK-87-88. they are in charge of the inboards at nwwc, very nice people. Boyd said that he had atleast 30 boat last weekend. looks like It's going to be fun. I am bring the Bezer.

SK87-88CircleJerk
03-19-2002, 09:57 AM
I have a response. Sunbanks Resort on Banks Lake is near Electric City which is 3 miles from Coulee City which is the town named after Grand Coulee Dam, one of the wonders of the World. Does this help? If you e-mail me with your address I will try to personally write you with all the info you'll need to participate in the Cruise,Show and Shine, Dance & Scrapbook Racing, or the four heat 2 day race. By the way we have a racer with a 1970 Mandella that he picked up at the factory with his 67 Elcamino that he still has! You might have something in common. I'd love to see these two classic survivors together!!
LeE, Its up to us to see that this class of racing does not die or diminish in numbers! Our hulls are circle boats and I am determined to have a place to use them to the fullest until I die! We are constantly in discussion as to the logistics of the large number of racers coming to Washington for this special Racers Reunion. We desire that everyone who wants to race can. The others are welcome to campout, Show, and cruise afterwards, or enjoy the first boat only swap meet which could be huge with those coming from Calif. The APBA rules are quite familiar to me since we had tried this avenue first. Having met opposition, we searched for other options and basically I returned to my roots of outboard hydros to provide a safe race course and dedicated vetrans to guide our new class. APBA did not want any new classes then but now are rethinking their position I have been told. I admire them for their accomplishments since they are #1 in all classes of boat racing and the Capsule rule was long overdue when it came to driver safety. Some of us don't want to cut up our wood decks or modify our classic 'Hot Rods' so the solution for me was to make the racing safe by slowing them another way. Everyone out there knows how to do this with a gear change,prop or engine change,or rev-limiter! This is how we are able to race on a small family budget and the racing was exciting for all! Come and join in the thrill of side by side comparing speeds and experience the sound of forty-eight cylinders firing unleaded 92! That's just one flatbottoms opinion! Flats-Forever!! Ps: I have info on a Nostalgic Race down south. I'll get permission to announce this soon. Jerk

laveygirl
03-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi I'm new to this chat line. It looked very interesting to me and I decided I'd like to put my two bits in. First of all, Yes! Iam a lady. Yes! I own and drive a lavey craft boat (1970). I love the boat and driving it. Infact my husband had to get a boat of his own to drive. I wouldn't give up the driver's seat.
I also race in the NOstalgic Circle Boat group here in WAshington. So far I'm the only lady driver in the area. It sure would be great to have another lady or two to join me in this.
Infact I took the championship for the 2001 year in the Ski Boat class. It was great fun! I even raced against my husband and beat him one race and ended up with national recognition with the AOF.
Yes! I'm learning how to work on my own boat. My husband can't fix both at one time.
This year is really exciting. I've been nominated Nostalgic Race boat commmissioner for our group. I'm not sure what I got myself in for, but so far I'm loving it. Everyone is great to work with so far.
I also raced with the FVDB group for 3 years.
It was a great learning experience. But now I'm ready for the excitement of the circle boats to.
I'm going. Hope you all can make it too.
RAS