PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer tonight

Speedin' Ian
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
So I was heading home tonight on the freeway on a stretch with very few cars and all of a sudden a deer is right in front of me. I slam on the breaks, but it is too late and I wipe the deer out. In the process he nearly takes me out as I hit it with the right corner and it sent the car into a nice slide. I got of the breaks and was able to steer into it and came to rest on the side of the freeway, luckily the freeway had large dirt medians and there were no other cars, because I used up a lot of space.
So a few moments later the CHP shows up and asks if I want to fill out a report, but he warns me if he does a report somebody is going to be at fault and it won't be the deer. I thought that was cool of him and declined the report.
Now my question is how do I claim this with my insurance (need a hood, fender, grill, bumper, headlight)? The kicker is I was driving my parents car and I don't want to increase there rates.

Baja Big Dog
05-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Djunkie...paging Djunkie!!!
He can tell you how to set the peeps straight..:D

WishIknew
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Sounds like some park III know of

topless
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
So when's the BBQ?:eek:

Brooski
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
You should be able to file a claim with your insurance for repairs. It will be a chargable claim against you, but at least with no collision report there wont be anything on your driving record. That was cool of the CHP to do that for you. If you dont want the claim on your insurance you can always pay out-of-pocket....:eek: :D :D

Havasu1986
05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Djunkie...paging Djunkie!!!
He can tell you how to set the peeps straight..:D
It's not time for his union break yet. :eek: :D

Baja Big Dog
05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Sounds like some park III know of
HUH!!
Note to newbie...dont post while drinking!!!:D

WishIknew
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Drinking doesnt enter in to this REALLY does it

riverracerXXX
05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
So when's the BBQ?:eek:
lol.Thats what I was going to ask.

WishIknew
05-31-2007, 10:10 PM
3'' up is not bad when your only 2'' tall:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

vee-driven
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Let me get this straight, a focking deer jumps out in front of you on the freeway and its your fault, that dosen't make any sense, what if you're driving up from san diego and an illegal jumps in front of you, is that your fault too? Lets get some AK-47's and go hunting.

KineticoH20
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
I hit a der a fw years backon Carbon Cyn road in Chino Hills, it sucks for both parties:jawdrop:

topless
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Let me get this straight, a focking deer jumps out in front of you on the freeway and its your fault, that dosen't make any sense, what if you're driving up from san diego and an illegal jumps in front of you, is that your fault too? Lets get some AK-47's and go hunting.I was thinking the same thing. They should have writted the deer a ticket for jaywalking.

Jesster
05-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Iv'e hit deer before on 3 seperate occasions and it was always covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance. Insurance never went up and no police report was ever filed. Granted non of them were ever in CA and it was a number of years ago so things may have changed, but all I ever had to pay was the deductible. I also hit one going about 60 on a dirt bike, I didnt have insurance that time though. :(

Boozer
06-01-2007, 02:56 AM
How long have your parents been with their current insurance carrier? Some insurance companies are willing to forgive an accident after so many years with them. However some insurance companies will make your rates sky rocket.
Check with your parents broker and ask them what the companies policies are for rate adjustments after an accident. In my experience I have found that filing a claim for anything less then $1500 is just not worth it because they will get the money back 2-3 fold by jacking your rates up for the next 2-3 years. Personally I'd rather pay the $1500 today then have to pay 3K+ in additional premiums.

framer1
06-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Iv'e hit deer before on 3 seperate occasions and it was always covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance. Insurance never went up and no police report was ever filed. Granted non of them were ever in CA and it was a number of years ago so things may have changed, but all I ever had to pay was the deductible. I also hit one going about 60 on a dirt bike, I didnt have insurance that time though. :(
This is all true, everybody where I live as hit a deer one time or another. My ins. as never gone up. I would turn it in and tell the truth.

ratso
06-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Tell them the car was sitting in your parents driveway and the deer ran into it...;)

lucky
06-01-2007, 05:47 AM
I hit a der a fw years backon Carbon Cyn road in Chino Hills, it sucks for both parties:jawdrop:
i say it sucks worse for the dear if you where a dear ?:confused:

Jbb
06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
So a few moments later the CHP shows up and asks if I want to fill out a report, but he warns me if he does a report somebody is going to be at fault and it won't be the deer.
Did he say that with a straight face......:D
Maybe, in his judgement...you should have slammed on the brakes a little sooner and caused a massive pile up...then it would have been the fault of the people behind you....for following too close.....:D

Music to my Ears
06-01-2007, 06:14 AM
I hit a deer three weeks ago. The CHP said the same thing to me and no report was taken. The insurance company took my word for it (I did have pics) and it was listed under comprehensive with no fault to me. They have paid for all of the damages ($9600) minus my deductable and have told me that my insurance rates will not be affected. You shouldn't have any problems.:)

FOREVER2DOXIES
06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
yikes. i hit a deer back in April as i was coming out of prescott, arizona. i guess i was lucky because i was not going fast and the deer saw me at the same time i saw him so he vered to his right as i vered to my right and we hit each other but more like a side swipe effect. i have a few small dents in my car and the major damage was a torn off mirror on the driver side. i decided that because the dents were not bad enough to get fixed (i knew my insurance woudl go up because they cant charge the deer :mad: ) so i simply had the mirror replaced with a used one. basically you need to decide if the damages are bad enough to warrant increase in rates. sometimes it is...sometimes it isnt. either way, there is nothing to be done about the rates.

djunkie
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
So I was heading home tonight on the freeway on a stretch with very few cars and all of a sudden a deer is right in front of me. I slam on the breaks, but it is too late and I wipe the deer out. In the process he nearly takes me out as I hit it with the right corner and it sent the car into a nice slide. I got of the breaks and was able to steer into it and came to rest on the side of the freeway, luckily the freeway had large dirt medians and there were no other cars, because I used up a lot of space.
So a few moments later the CHP shows up and asks if I want to fill out a report, but he warns me if he does a report somebody is going to be at fault and it won't be the deer. I thought that was cool of him and declined the report.
Now my question is how do I claim this with my insurance (need a hood, fender, grill, bumper, headlight)? The kicker is I was driving my parents car and I don't want to increase there rates.
Did you bring it home with you? If so give me your address and I'll come by and gut it and cut it up. :D :D

dimarcobros
06-01-2007, 12:07 PM
The claim will go under your comprehensive deductible. It will not go on your record, meaning not chargable, but you will have to pay your deductible.
DMB

Speedin' Ian
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
You guys are right, it was covered under comprehensive which means I pay $500 and it does not count against us. I'm glad because I suspect it will cost a few grand to fix.