PDA

View Full Version : Ever felt helpless watching....

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
while you're on another person's boat, and they're about to do something badly wrong, and you see it coming? I was on a 38' cruiser this w/e out of LB and my friend got all sideways trying to get into the slip....:jawdrop: I wanted to say something, but just sat there quiet (ready to try and help bounce off the dock/other boats), cause I know when I'm doing something like that, I don't want to be distracted. Unfortunately, once sideways, the guy thought he was in reverse, but was still in forward, and hit the sticks for a quick burst. Wrong move. Hit dock, and possibliy other boat. Bad crunching noises. :eek: He eventually got it square, but was hugely embarrassed. I tried to play it off as it happens to all of us....plus, the wind, etc.. felt bad for him, but didn't think I could have done anything to prevent it. :(

Redding Rat
06-01-2007, 12:58 PM
To me that would be the best thing you could have done, that's the sign of a true friend!

voodoomedman
06-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Kinda tough but you seem to have done the right thing.
I wouldn't mind if an experience boater gives me some tips calmly while they were on my boat. I do hate however, when it's crazy out or I'm just simply dropping anchor in a cove or at the Sandbar and everybody in my boat is telling me to look for this or for that or let's do this. My boat, my money, I have the experience and know how and have never put us in any danger. It drives me nuts because it is actually distracting me and can do more harm than good. If the boat is going to hit then get your butt up and stick your foot out to protect it because I am in the water on the other side and can't do much from there. Doesn't matter though as I don't get into situations where it is going to hit. Anyway rant over.

beaverretriever
06-01-2007, 01:07 PM
You should have yelled at him profusely, called im dumbass, all whilst pounding down a beer. :D :D
Hey, we have all screwed up parking a boat, and if someone says they haven't they are lying.

Schiada76
06-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a friend that used to point and wave at EVERY water craft that came into his field of vision.:rolleyes:
I'd be rolling along or 70 or 80 and he'd suddenly start waving his hands and point towards some boat or jet ski 100 yards away heading in the opposite direction, no where near us. I finally had to yell at him to stop.:D
Now he just waves his hands and points whenever we see a skier down, he's a little excitable.:D :D

dumbandyoung
06-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't mind if an experience boater gives me some tips calmly while they were on my boat. I do hate however, when it's crazy out or I'm just simply dropping anchor in a cove or at the Sandbar and everybody in my boat is telling me to look for this or for that or let's do this. My boat, my money, I have the experience and know how and have never put us in any danger. It drives me nuts because it is actually distracting me and can do more harm than good. If the boat is going to hit then get your butt up and stick your foot out to protect it because I am in the water on the other side and can't do much from there. Doesn't matter though as I don't get into situations where it is going to hit. Anyway rant over.
Agreed!;)

driverno8
06-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Agreed upon too!

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Exactly how I feel. I'm always up and ready to bounce or catch, but usually stay quiet and let the driver do their thing.
You should have yelled at him profusely, called im dumbass, all whilst pounding down a beer. :D :D
Hey, we have all screwed up parking a boat, and if someone says they haven't they are lying.
Lol...That's usually how my wife lets me know something may have a potential of going wrong (even if it's in only her mind...:D ) and definitely I've had my share of "learning experiences", like one time at Site 6.....:mad: :D
I have a friend that used to point and wave at EVERY water craft that came into his field of vision.:rolleyes:
I'd be rolling along or 70 or 80 and he'd suddenly start waving his hands and point towards some boat or jet ski 100 yards away heading in the opposite direction, no where near us. I finally had to yell at him to stop.:D
Now he just waves his hands and points whenever we see a skier down, he's a little excitable.:D :D
Yep, the overly excitable ones can scare the crap out of you, even though they're just trying to help...:D

Her454
06-01-2007, 01:28 PM
while you're on another person's boat, and they're about to do something badly wrong, and you see it coming? I was on a 38' cruiser this w/e out of LB and my friend got all sideways trying to get into the slip....:jawdrop: I wanted to say something, but just sat there quiet (ready to try and help bounce off the dock/other boats), cause I know when I'm doing something like that, I don't want to be distracted. Unfortunately, once sideways, the guy thought he was in reverse, but was still in forward, and hit the sticks for a quick burst. Wrong move. Hit dock, and possibliy other boat. Bad crunching noises. :eek: He eventually got it square, but was hugely embarrassed. I tried to play it off as it happens to all of us....plus, the wind, etc.. felt bad for him, but didn't think I could have done anything to prevent it. :(
Focking Men drivers. :rolleyes: :D

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Focking Men drivers. :rolleyes: :D
Lmao...only when there's women in the boat talking to us....:devil:

Ziggy
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I haven't ;) :D but my boat has :D:D
I dragged the skeg beaching it

AZKC
06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
The wife usually trailers the boat, and I've seen some pretty good ones. The ones where she ends up sideways on the trailer and just shuts it off are the best. :D It'll be coming in all nice and straight and the next thing ya know:eek: :eek: :D

Keith E. Sayre
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd say that you did exactly the right thing. I have driven with every crazy
idiot on the planet along with some very good drivers. I have found that
if it's their boat, I simply shut up unless I think it's getting dangerous.
Let's face it, most people do a decent job until it's time to start thinking
and that's when they screw it all up and panic.
I recently rode with a guy that didn't have a clue how to trim a boat but
did drive it safely. I've found that the best medicine is to openly compliment
them whenever possible about what a good and considerate driver they are. Then once they think that they have your confidence, you can
sneak a little encouragement in and they'll accept it wholeheartedly since
you've already repeatedly praised them.
I'd say that you did good with your patience.
Keith Sayre

Racey
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Sucks getting that feeling that something is about to go wrong, but you did the right thing, keep quiet, don't distract the driver, and do all you can from a passengers stand point to hold the boat off. the old 'It happens to the best of us' helps to lighten the situation up a bit. Sorry to hear about that the boat got crunched up, but everything is a learning experience, your buddy will only learn from it. good to hear it was only damage to the boat and no one got hurt.