PDA

View Full Version : Anybuddy tow with 24's?

Teabagger
06-02-2007, 02:16 PM
If mods can correct the spelling on the post title to "anybody" that would be appreciated!
Not sure if it's an urban myth thing or what but I'm about to pull the trigger on some 24's for my Denali XL and wanted to know if it's a bad thing to do or should I just stick with 22's?
PS - Towing Shockwave Magnatude 29. Guessing 7500lbs (ish) with trailer to and from OC & Havasu.

SPOCKER
06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
If mods can correct the spelling on the post title to "anybody" that would be appreciated!
Not sure if it's an urban myth thing or what but I'm about to pull the trigger on some 24's for my Denali XL and wanted to know if it's a bad thing to do or should I just stick with 22's?
PS - Towing Shockwave Magnatude 29. Guessing 7500lbs (ish) with trailer to and from OC & Havasu.
I think it might change the gear ratio a little .. might feel slightly sluggish from a take off but will look sweet as hell ..""if it was me" 24's

Boozer
06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Change the gear ratio and put on bigger brakes. Or just go with 20-22's.
I've driven Tahoe's with 20's, 22's, 24's and 26's. Anything over a 22 makes the ride rough, the braking suck, and steering gets squirrly.

Teabagger
06-02-2007, 03:56 PM
The overall tire diameter is going to stay the same roughly 31.5", just the sidewall is going from 7.25" to 3.75" so why change gear ratio's if diameter stays the same?

Teabagger
06-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Boozer, I should have said it's an 07. The 07 Escalade can now come stock with 22's and I think they share the same chassis as the Denali.

Beer-30
06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
That's exactly why this is such a dumb idea. When you take away from the width of the sidewall you take the "cushioning" away and when a bump, curb, or whatever is hit the wheel takes the full impact and is compounded by the weight of whatever your towing. It's an accident waiting to happen.
Before going off half cocked 'just to look cool', I'd check with your insurance company to see if you'd still be covered. I'd bet not while towing.
Rio
Oh please. Your argument is correct, in that it does take away the cushion. But, that is not what he asked about. He probably, like me, already knows that. Raising OR lowering - neither are free. Raising brings bigger tires, which equals more load on drivelines, lugs, bearings, steering, and suspension. Lowering brings shorter tires, different angles of suspension, and sometimes a wheelwell issue or two. Nothing is free and we that customize accept all of these facts. All but the most extreme lifts and drops have always been covered by warranty (if properly done with proper parts) and insurances, in my experience.
Now, getting back to the original ?, towing is only a minute part of how much you drive your vehicle. Fix it up the way you want it as your daily driver. Yes, you run the risk of not being able to find the tire size you have - if you blow one out in the desert. Keep the stock spare and the lugs or equipment needed to put it on.
As far as loads, just keep the tire size big enough to handle what you are going to run. Look at the max load on the side of the stock tire, and keep your new ones near that. I towed my 30' Sleek home from purchase with my wifes '04 Yukon, lowered 3", 285/45/22s all around. Worked just fine and didn't even squish the tires.

VEGASBABY
06-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Stick with 22's if your gonna tow. I had a 05 Escalade towed a 28 Nordic heat and was told you want the meat on the rim to help with the ride quality and stability while towing. Had a friend towing a quad trailer from San Diego had a blow out on 24's because he hit a sharp lip in the hwy almost lost his rig. Chp said wrong wheel package for towin a trailer like that. Just my .02cents

Hotcobra270
06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I have 24" on my qx56 and no problem.. Ive towed to havasu from both LA and phoenix. I'm pulling my 27 foot 4600 pounds with any issues.
Ive been doing it for about 1 year now.. Yeah there are some risk, but
I'll take my chances

Beer-30
06-02-2007, 08:32 PM
"wanted to know if it's a bad thing to do or should I just stick with 22's?"
Beer-30, "But, that is not what he asked about."
Kindly 'splain to us'ns what cain't unnerstan, Beer-30, wat he be askin about.
We's so sorry to burden you wit all our not unnerstandin an bes so thankful to hav you here to splain it to us.
Rio
Um. Ok.
He asked if it was a bad thing to tow with 24s. He didn't ask if it would hurt his ride quality. He didn't ask if insurance would give a flying fart about his wheels.
Obviously, you don't like larger rims with smaller tires - and that is just fine. They're not for everyone. If you have any experience, good or bad, towing with them, that info would be greatly appreciated.

anxious
06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I have 22's on my Tahoe and notice a big in difference in braking capabilities between the stocks and 22's. I have towed with them and without them. It kind of depends on how cool I want to look at the time.:D When I do tow with my stocks, I feel a lot more comftorble than the 22's. Probaly just a mental thing, however, 24's are pretty sketchy. A blow out can happen to anybody, however, with 24's and not enough rubber, you can increase your chances. Just my .02, then again, I don't want my boat to be damaged when the tire decides to disenegrate like I saw once.

SPOCKER
06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Um. Ok.
He asked if it was a bad thing to tow with 24s. He didn't ask if it would hurt his ride quality. He didn't ask if insurance would give a flying fart about his wheels.
Obviously, you don't like larger rims with smaller tires - and that is just fine. They're not for everyone. If you have any experience, good or bad, towing with them, that info would be greatly appreciated.
I dont think its a bad thing !!!!!

ToMorrow44
06-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm just surprised that you're towing that big of a boat with a denali. Just personal preference, but after towing mine with a diesel I couldn't imagine ever towing it with a gas engine. As far as wheels go, yes you could get tires that are rated for the load so there would be no problem there, but bigger wheels mean greater rolling mass which will hammer the brakes on that truck on top of what that monster boat is going to do to those. I'm not much of a wheel expert but I would stick with 20-22" if it were mine.
-Tom

BigDoug
06-02-2007, 08:51 PM
We tow our detail trailer and customers boats (large, small) with an 06 Denali on 24's without any problems..................however i feel we need to update the brake system for safety reasons.................i was worried about the ride quality and it surprized the hell out of me, i wouldn't have bought it if it rode rough............we love the 24's on it though !! :D

USCFAN
06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Tow my 29' with 05 Denali with 24's and have never had a problem. Stoping and the ride will be a little different, but like someone else said towing is such a small part of your overall use of your vehicle. I just tend to give myself more space when towing to compensate for the bigger wheels.

BajaMike
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
To me, the 24s are a bad idea (for all the reasons listed). Also, what is the tow rating on your Denali XL? Have you ever taken your fully loaded, fueled boat and trailor to a scale and weighted it?? I'll bet your load is way over 7500 lbs.
If the tow rating is 8,000 lbs, I wouldn't tow more then 7,000 lbs. If the tow rating is 10,000 lbs, I wouldn't tow more then 9,000 lbs. But that's just me.
I mean it is your family's lives and your truck and your boat.......some safety margin is a good idea.
I thought the maximum tow rating on the Denali XL is 7,900 lbs.
:idea:

Riverdog1
06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Get the 24's, I'll by the 22's from you:D :D . Not even a close guess. that hull's close to 5k by itself. More like 9k with motor, gear and trailer. If it feels good and you don't mind replacing brakes, do it. Trailer brakes are a must. My buddy has a 25ft and it's heavy on my Tahoe. She squats a little.:D

GRUNION
06-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Get the 24s dont worry about side wall I tow a 15,000 lb trailer on 35 series tires.:D
http://grunionfabrication.com/images/0322071126.jpg

RaceFace
06-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Just my experience, but I wouldn't tow with 35 series tires. I've got 20's and 35 tires on wifeys Mustang and 2 months into it, she hit one of those big steel construction plates in the road (they didnt put enough asphalt as a "ramp") and took out one of the front rims. New rim is an expensive fix. If it happens again, I'm dumping the set and going to 19's and bigger tires. Driving that thing is like walking on glass....you have to do it carefully.
The long road to the river is full of surprises and I would hate to take out a tire and rim on a pothole on Rice Road at 11pm towing a boat with the family in the car. Meatier tire, you will survive the potholes and steel plates.

Teabagger
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, looks like I have some thinking to do.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Why you f#%king with 24's anyway? The guys who wrote the book on "thinking you're cool because you're rollin dubs" has long moved on to 30's or bigger. We sure have a lot of followers toward the rear of the line up in here lol...

brianthomas
06-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Two of the biggest issues here are that there are many big wheels that will fit the truck but very few have the GVWR ratings that you will need legaly, especially when towing. You can't buy wheels on looks alone when you want to tow. Second, you are right at the tow limits of the truck, if you scale the trailer you just might find it weighs more than you think. Also, passengers and gear in the truck are a part of the tow rating lbs. even though they are in the truck and not on the trailer. Lots of people do not know this or choose to ignore it.

mike37
06-03-2007, 05:00 PM
are the tires rated for the weight you will be towing if not don't do it

AZJD
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
You will be fine. The increased size will effect braking but you ride is all wheel drive and will compensate for the oversized wheels aswell and the weight of the boat.

brianthomas
06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
You will be fine. The increased size will effect braking but you ride is all wheel drive and will compensate for the oversized wheels aswell and the weight of the boat.
Ummmmm, I have been with GM for a very long time now, how does AWD fix oversize wheel and heavy towed weight issues?